The "S" Class ships on STEROIDS..What Could Have Been..

need2cruisesoon

What could have been in the cards if X decided to go the other way in ship design and size.

I am amazed at the similarities of the under construction MSC Meraviglia at 167,600 tons with 4,500 passengers and the smaller S class.

Look at the deck plans, perfect for the next Super Solstice Class of ships:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Ships/MSC-Meraviglia.aspx

Could this have been the future for Celebrity if their focus was on a much bigger vessel with a unique "ship within a ship design"?

Will have to wait for next year to see if this is the next generation Super S Class built by MSC.

MSC Meraviglia:

MSC%20Newbuilding.jpg

S Class:

celebrity-cruises-celebrity-equinox.jpg

Overhang:

MSC

13245411_850462008431319_1220453651394412337_n.jpg

Photo Credit-STX FB

S Class:

IMG_1123.jpg

I am so glad that Celebrity did NOT go that way and build a super size ship. The S class ships are just right and I am glad to hear the Edge class will be a bit smaller.

Dave

Couldn't agree more!

Beware of steroids! :D

S Class up to Silhouette is the ideal size for the times.. Even Reflection is too crowded in spots for our taste...

We do not want larger floating barges with more gimmicks, bars , shopping malls and flip flop dining! Hoping Edge Class will be nicely sized and upscale....

Counting on Celebrity to deliver a beautiful product! And many are willing to pay for the experience. There are already many choices for those who want the massive ships....but Celeb always held its niche.....

Another one who couldn't agree more. There is something very special about the design of the Solstice class ships - they never feel congested and there always seems to be plenty of room for all the passengers. I sometimes wonder where everybody is! I recently had my first (and last ;)) cruise on MSC's current largest ship and the feeling was totally the opposite. There seemed to be a never-ending throng of people at all times and in all venues. Celebrity Solstice class ships couldn't be more different in the best way possible :). I hope the new Edge designs retain that wonderful spacious feeling.

Our first cruise was on Norwegian Caribbean on the Starward. Less than 16000 tons. Our next was Royal Caribbean Song of America. 38000 tons. Since then we have been on Princess, RCL and Celebrity. Each time the ship has been larger than our previous cruise and each time we worried that the ship was going to be too big. Last year we cruised on the Reflection. We never felt the ship to be too large. Sure on sea days the pool was crowded. On smaller ships pools were crowded too. We never waited on a line for dining. We ate when we wanted and where when we wanted. The theater had plenty of seats open. Even tendering into ports went fast.

I have been on the Allure with 5000 others at one time. Never ever again. Mega ships are a been there, done that, did not like it deal for us. The S class ships are perfect for us. I don't mind the M class ships but I do enjoy the extras I find on S class.

Personally, I think the M class is the perfect size. Big enough to have everything, not crowded, elevators are close by always.

Yea, I love both the M and S class ships but I really feel the S class needed the aft elevator bank.

I have been on the Allure with 5000 others at one time. Never ever again. Mega ships are a been there, done that, did not like it deal for us. The S class ships are perfect for us. I don't mind the M class ships but I do enjoy the extras I find on S class.

Yea, I love both the M and S class ships but I really feel the S class needed the aft elevator bank.

I'm an X newbie. Love S class and I love the outdoors. I'm hoping a new class of ship with adult outdoor venues, including a return to the promenade deck. I'm interested to see how MSC's seaside class turns out.

I like Celebrity's size. Plus can you imagine the crew to passenger ratio for a ship that large if they kept the 2 to 1. They might have to tow a small ship behind just for the crew.

On a side note I'd love a ship with the top deck having a large pool with a swim up bar. Maybe a lazy river going around the back of the ship. Just saying. :)

2015 March Celebrity Constellation Western Caribbean 5 nights

2016 November Celebrity Equinox Western Caribbean 11 nights (honeymoon)

I'm an X newbie. Love S class and I love the outdoors. I'm hoping a new class of ship with adult outdoor venues

I think you may get this providing you pay for the suite experience. I'm convinced they will do something similar to NCL's Haven and devote a larger area for suite use only - perhaps over a couple of decks, including a pool area up top. I'm sure a greater area than is currently assigned on S class ships will be allocated for the sole use of the suite guests on the new ships - even down to the segregated areas in the theatre (perhaps using a seapass card system for entry into these areas). All suites being an AI package, like X are promoting at present with the 4 perks - marketing it as a fully exclusive yet inclusive experience. With a large increase in the amount of suites on the ship, they can generate far more revenue without even trying - just convince people it's exclusive MODERN LUXURY, especially for the more discerning passenger - bingo - win, win situation ;). 'Special times, for special people' - you get the idea :).

Anyway, even though I love the interior of the S class ships, I'm suddenly realising how I appear to have much more of a problem when I choose cabins on that class of ship compared to M class. It's obviously the ship design where the lifeboats have to be accommodated on the inside of decks that has really made me wonder whether it's totally ideal. Together with the struts, overhang, obstructions and lack of 3rd elevators, it's not as straight forward to pick cabins as it is on M class.

Don't get me wrong, we like the interior of the ships, but in our particular case, I just find it much more difficult to decide on an ideal cabin location on S class ships compared to M ;).

Many of you know that the Q-class ships of Royal Caribbean, built at Meyer Werft, were originally going to be Celebrity ships. At a 168,800 tons, they look very much like a Celebrity ship, with all the RCL stuff added (rock walls, flow rider, bumper cars...,)

We did 14 nights on the Anthem of the Seas last summer, and if the cruise had had Celebrity quality food, it would have been close to perfect. Even the "Dynamic Dining" concept was great, except the cuisine quality and the service level did not match the venues.

I'm okay with larger ships, as long as the quality comes along for the ride!:rolleyes::)

PS -- everyone on CC freaked out when the Century was added to fleet (1995) because 71,500 tons was just "too big"!

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Edited by kelmac

Tommy3Putts, some more outside venues would be fine, just to make me put up with another 2500 passengers....Like I said, did it once to see, will never do it again and not likely to even get back on a RCCL ship again. We had 3 great trips on the Serenade but the Alllure was a dud for us.

Unfortunately for those who want smaller ships, as long as the big cruise companies can fill larger and larger ones, the bigger ships will always have economics on their side. Like many other areas of business the smaller versions will still be there but they will be run by smaller companies as a boutique offer often at a premium price.:(

After cruising on the Oasis last year, I have to say that 'S' class is pretty much as big as I want to go.

We did not enjoy Oasis.. it was a .large mall inside and out....lots of people milling about,,,nothing very luxurious in decor and and had mediocre dining and shopping venues...The pools were grossly overcrowded, ..the Adult Solarium was very nice but inadequate capacity for those using it......the overall ship design resulted in several very windy areas.....difficult to enjoy,

The Diamond cocktail party was better than on X but we were disappointed with the shows and music on board....Did not like having to reserve events and wait on lines...just not our cup of tea..children may love the kiddie areas and our sil liked the zip line and floe rider.

Overall it felt like a floating barge city....rather than a ship..hoping X never goes this route....cannot deliver Modern Luxury..on such a big beast..even with carved out suite areas!

The title of this thread, "The S class ships on Steroids," is exactly how I described Anthem of the Seas. Definitely shared DNA, and stunningly beautiful in the same elegant way, along with some amazingly unique public spaces (like Two70 and the Solarium) that just blew me away.

But I still prefer the S class. I don't like having to make reservations for shows, or be concerned that I need them for dinner either. And even without a true promenade deck, S class is far more "connected" to the water than is Anthem.

I think S class is big enough (though I agree with a comment above that an aft elevator bank would have been a good thing).

One thing that doesn't make sense about the conventional wisdom is that there will be a larger emphasis on suites -- and a larger number of them. Well if the ship is a little smaller than S Class, but has 2900 passengers when the S class has 2886 or something like that, how can they make the larger suite cabins work?

Greg

Going by other recent ship designs they will have smaller cabins, very small balconies (don't want you spending too much time there) and tighter public circulation areas. The increased number of suites will also likely be of the sky suite variety which will in effect be at an old style room size ( but bigger than the new standard rooms) and at a new increased price for the up scaled service,

Sorry if that sounds cynical but it seems to be the way the wind is blowing.