May 28 Empress first sailing back with RCI live review (many pictures!)

Ads94. What are your experiences onboard Empress?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a mixed bag honestly. When I get home I am writing a full review. I'll talk about my biggest disappointment and my biggest positive experience.

The disappointment is that the ship seems to have... Too many teething problems. I'm isolated from it being in the aft owners suite so I'm assuming everything was sped up for me because of the Gold Card, that thing is like a wad of 100s in downtown Havana. I haven't seen a single drop of ice cream on the entire ship, and they are still building and repairing things. It's the little things like this:

472c9d0ad671cf7dcd2b8d1977eb6abe.jpg

That make me unsettled about the quality of service everyone else is getting. The mechanical issues are on everyone's lips except mine, we've been golden in our suite. There is an extreme lack of food variety. It's hands down the worst I've ever seen.

The crew is still learning the ship. Our CD called us the "Majesty of the Seas" twice. It just seems like they could have been trained more, so that's corporates fault more than anything. Confused crew members with regards to C&A benefits, we got charges for drinks a few times when we 100% should not have.

The positive on the flip side is the crew. They are working so hard with what they have. You talk to some of them, they come from the Oasis, Grandeur, Enchantment, Explorer, ect. they are all settling into their roles without a doubt. Daniela is the best loyalty ambassador we've ever had. She's sharp and on the money. I personally think she is the reason we had such a great cruise. Any complaint we had we went to her, and it was fixed within minutes. Unfortunately, I know everyone does not have access to her.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.

The food issue is weird to me. I don't get it. Were menu's smaller back when Empress was first sailing? (I don't think so...) I honestly think that the galley is STILL not finished. That's the only explanation I have when it comes to the food problems. The AC issue is weird also. Why was it not realized 3 months ago? They could've revamped the entire system with that kind of time. The staff not being used to the ship - I get that. It can be annoying, but if the crew is good now, they'll be amazing when things are running smoothly. On the bright side, the ship looks very nice. I was worried it would have a VERY dated feel, but I didn't get that impression. The public rooms look wonderful in my opinion.

Hopefully you enjoyed yourself, despite the problems! :)

You upload your photos to some photo sharing site like FlickR, and then put links to the photos in your posts here on CC.

Bob, I am so computer illiterate, you may as well have been speaking Greek to me, but thanks for trying!!!!

Bob, I am so computer illiterate, you may as well have been speaking Greek to me, but thanks for trying!!!!

You should probably do as Big G says and use the Tapatalk app to post pictures directly.

I think you are the person with so much info on ships? which cabin(not too high)would you choose if going on Explorer that's for a balcony Thanks Irene

Irene, you are posting on a thread about the Empress of the Seas. Perhaps you would like to either start a new thread or search the Explorer threads. (Look up above this post at the top of the page).

:)

Take into account this as well -- fathom only has (fixed it for you - it's "fathom" and it is still cruising) capacity for 7-800 (704 actually) passengers; Empress has a capacity of 1600. So Royal has to make it something that will be 'vacation like' to fill the ship even if they do 5/5/4 night sailings. Longer cruises always attract different types of cruisers than short ones.....they are marketing Empress as a 'party ship'.....party ship without a beach to go to.....sorry.....JMO again.

Thank you. You just resolved any lingering doubts. I am so NOT a "party ship" girl. Criticize me all you want, but I'd rather have the experiences fathom is offering and remember my cruise and time there. Beach time would be nice, but as one who burns easily, particularly in the clear waters of the Caribbean, it's not necessary to my having an amazing cruise.

Thankfully that's why there is "chocolate and strawberry" so to speak - we all have different interests, needs, and wants. :D

I think you are the person with so much info on ships? which cabin(not too high)would you choose if going on Explorer that's for a balcony Thanks Irene

I'd choose a deck 7 balcony because I would want to avoid the deck 6 balconies with the all metal outside wall.

I go back to my default comment on these threads.

Anyone who goes on early cruises for a new ship (or in this case a newly returned ship) is basically paying for the privilege to be a beta-tester. Why are people so hyped about being beta-testers and often so mad about things not being perfect?

I know that SOME of the people on these first few trips THOUGHT they were coming in a month or two after the first cruises, but a lot of folks seemed to have re-booked to these intentionally.

We see the threads over and over and over:

"I'm so mad. I paid 3x more than I would usually pay to be on the inaugural cruise of ______! I'm so mad! I wanted it to be perfect and they were still working on ____ and the ____ wasn't even fully operational. It totally seemed like the crew didn't even know where they were supposed to be or what to do. I'm so mad! Why don't they get their act together? This is supposed to be my dream cruise!"

Beta-testing a cruise ship is a risky gamble. Either you roll with it and love life or wind up hating your life. Shoot... beta-testing ANYTHING is a risky gamble. If people would start avoiding these, cruise lines would do the right thing and beg people to help them with deep discounts/promotional cruises.

However, people love to THINK they were first, so they ignore common sense.

Edited by poncho1973

Anyone who goes on early cruises for a new ship (or in this case a newly returned ship) is basically paying for the privilege to be a beta-tester. Why are people so hyped about being beta-testers and often so mad about things not being perfect?

I know that SOME of the people on these first few trips THOUGHT they were coming in a month or two after the first cruises, but a lot of folks seemed to have re-booked to these intentionally.

"I'm so mad. I paid 3x more than I would usually pay to be on the inaugural cruise of ______! I'm so mad! I wanted it to be perfect and they were still working on ____ and the ____ wasn't even fully operational. It totally seemed like the crew didn't even know where they were supposed to be or what to do. I'm so mad! Why don't they get their act together? This is supposed to be my dream cruise!"

Beta-testing a cruise ship is a risky gamble. Either you roll with it and love life or wind up hating your life. Shoot... beta-testing ANYTHING is a risky gamble. If people would start avoiding these, cruise lines would do the right thing and beg people to help them with deep discounts/promotional cruises.

The majority of us did not get cancelled and rebook.

The majority of us did not get cancelled and rebook.

DH and I discuss 'inaugural' sailings all the time.....and post refurb cruises as well......for us....we can wait. I like small risks, ordering a new dinner choice or going to a new restaurant.....it is only a little time out of one evening...not something that I spend lots of money on, and quite a bit of my time on either.

So quick followup, those of us who had "significant issues" were only offered 50% of what we paid toward this trip on a future Royal Caribbean cruise. It was the only thing they would offer and we took it, but not before giving our two cents of how unacceptable it was. I've sent emails to their board, their senior management, you name it. Took us two hours to get off the boat this morning, poor staff had no idea what was going on it seemed. Not to me to mention they continued construction and beating and banging and drilling at 4 am this morning. ... my only thoughts for those of you with future bookings and insurance, STAY AWAY

We just boarded this morning. We had not planned on being the second sailing after refurbishment, but we're going with the flow. The ship is nice. Lots of Windows and natural light. Rooms were supposed to be ready at 1pm. At 1:30, our whole section of cabins was not even close to ready and no steward was around. DH and I have been lugging our carry ons around since then. Now we're sitting outside Boleros relaxing. Beautiful view. :) we'll check our cabin at 3pm to store luggage before muster.

.....Rooms were supposed to be ready at 1pm. At 1:30, our whole section of cabins was not even close to ready and no steward was around.......

Based on some Facebook posts posted here, I would expect your steward has passed out from heat stroke or walked off the ship in disgust. ;)

Well we are on board! Royal tried to cancel us before we got to the port. There was an issue with one of our three cabins. They gave us two very fair offers to cancel. We declined. They were able to solve the problem and we are on board. So far so good! Everyone has been extremely nice.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Well we are on board! Royal tried to cancel us before we got to the port. There was an issue with one of our three cabins. They gave us two very fair offers to cancel. We declined. They were able to solve the problem and we are on board. So far so good! Everyone has been extremely nice.

Are you willing to share the details of the cancellation offer? Many of the May 28 cruisers had issues on that cruise and are interested in any efforts RCI may have made to make a better cruise experience for subsequent cruisers.

What was the problem? Did they say? What was the offer? May be useful for others in the near future. Glad they got it sorted for now

What was the problem? Did they say? What was the offer? May be useful for others in the near future. Glad they got it sorted for now

Pure unadulterated speculation and it could be a cabin issue but isn't this what they do when they need to bring workmen on board?

No hot water in one of our cabins. We have 3 booked together. Maybe that was valuable to them. They offered to move us to the Allure tomorrow, or 100 percent refund with 100 percent additional cruise credit. We have one of our daughter's boyfriend that is leaving for the Air Force in two weeks. We couldn't postpone, and some of our group could not do a full week on short notice so we stayed with what we had. Food in the windjammer was very good for lunch. Crowds were manageable. Cautiously optimistic!

No hot water in one of our cabins. We have 3 booked together. Maybe that was valuable to them. They offered to move us to the Allure tomorrow, or 100 percent refund with 100 percent additional cruise credit. We have one of our daughter's boyfriend that is leaving for the Air Force in two weeks. We couldn't postpone, and some of our group could not do a full week on short notice so we stayed with what we had. Food in the windjammer was very good for lunch. Crowds were manageable. Cautiously optimistic!

Wow! Royal actually made a really good offer!

Hoping things continue to go well.

They offered to move us to the Allure tomorrow, or 100 percent refund with 100 percent additional cruise credit.

We couldn't postpone, and some of our group could not do a full week on short notice so we stayed with what we had.

I would've taken the Allure cruise and ditched the group members that couldn't take the extra days off. See ya in a week! [emoji23]

I would've taken the Allure cruise and ditched the group members that couldn't take the extra days off. See ya in a week! [emoji23]

Or take the refund and credit, and spend the weekend partying. In Miami, or drive to Key West, or ferry to Bahamas.:confused: