Zeka Virus

We are sailing the Oasis June 4, 2016.

Doesn't seem to be much talk on these boards about what precautions RCi is taking to protect us from the virus on Labadee and other islands.

There sure is a lot in the news about this issue.

Edited by JohnSnowGOT

I don't see how it is Royal's responsibility to "take precautions". From what I understand, they send an email stating what the CDC has said and that is to wear DEET and consider not going if you are pregnant or considering getting pregnant. Many of the islands are spraying for mosquitoes, but some just don't have the money it takes to do a thorough job. 80% of the people don't even know if they have Zika since the symptoms are light and can mimic other things. Personally, I wouldn't worry about Zika unless pregnancy was an issue. I would be more concerned with getting malaria or chikungunya fever if I did an excursion in the rain forest. Again, use DEET.

What precautions do you think RCCL should take to protect us?

I don't think that it should be their responsibility. However, that doesn't mean you don't have a well thought out idea. Willing to listen.

Well there is no such thing as zero liability... anyway

We live in Florida... there is news almost every day about this virus. There is so little known about it. It looks serious.

We received an email (unsolicited) from Rci. Yesterday. The email informed us that we could cancel the cruise or reschedule for another itinerary (with no penalty) if we had any serious concerns about the virus.

We live in Florida... there is news almost every day about this virus. There is so little known about it. It looks serious.

We received an email (unsolicited) from Rci. Yesterday. The email informed us that we could cancel the cruise or reschedule for another itinerary (with no penalty) if we had any serious concerns about the virus.

If you chose to go on a cruise to a place that has zika or any other mosquito born disease that is 100% your choice and the cruise line is in no way liable for any issues you have if you catch a disease. Seriously personal responsibility is lacking in today's world. Everything is not always someone else's fault.

Doesn't seem to be much talk on these boards about what precautions RCi is taking to protect us from the virus on Labadee and other islands.

Since you will be coming to Florida to board Oasis you might want to be aware of conditions here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article66790817.html

It's a world-wide thing now...not the responsibility of anyone but YOU! Use a DEET product...wear long sleeves and pants...not go outside if you're pregnant or thinking of getting pregnant. Otherwise...it's a non-issue.

Since you will be coming to Florida to board Oasis you might want to be aware of conditions here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article66790817.html

Hey Thank you for the information.

Haven't seen any other statements from RCI...Such as statements they are reducing standing water at Labadee and taking extra measure to spray and any other precautions they might be using to protect their guests.

I just wanted a little reassurance that RCI is doing everything possible. I booked this before the Zika information become serious. Although I most likely would have booked anyway....I just want RCi to do its due diligence as I am in protecting my family.

Edited by JohnSnowGOT

Haven't seen any other statements from RCI...Such as statements they are reducing standing water at Labadee and taking extra measure to spray and any other precautions they might be using to protect their guests.

I just wanted a little reassurance that RCI is doing everything possible. I booked this before the Zika information become serious. Although I most likely would have booked anyway....I just want RCi to do its due diligence as I am in protecting my family.

John, If you haven't already done so do a search here and I'm sure you will see other posts with this concern. Just follow the specified preventive measures and you will be as good to go as you can be. Bon voyage!!!

John, If you haven't already done so do a search here and I'm sure you will see other posts with this concern. Just follow the specified preventive measures and you will be as good to go as you can be. Bon voyage!!!

That's just it....there doesn't appear to be much here in CC about the virus issue. I don't want to sound like chicken little, but I think its news worthy. :)

I don't think Royal or any other company can protect you. If you're pregnant, do not go to these areas.

Even the cdc does not know when the virus can do the most damage.

Edited by marci22

I'm not sure what Royal or any other cruise line could do. Do you have any thoughts of what you think they could or should do?

That's just it....there doesn't appear to be much here in CC about the virus issue. I don't want to sound like chicken little, but I think its news worthy. :)

The Search Function is very handy. Here is what I found when I typed in Zika Virus:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2359536&highlight=zika+virus

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2343960&highlight=zika+virus

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2324036&highlight=zika+virus

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2359908&highlight=zika+virus

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2341183&highlight=zika+virus

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2329545&highlight=zika+virus

You must take some responsibility to research and find out the proper means of protecting yourself.

Edited by cruisenfever

I don't see how it is Royal's responsibility to "take precautions". From what I understand, they send an email stating what the CDC has said and that is to wear DEET and consider not going if you are pregnant or considering getting pregnant. Many of the islands are spraying for mosquitoes, but some just don't have the money it takes to do a thorough job. 80% of the people don't even know if they have Zika since the symptoms are light and can mimic other things. Personally, I wouldn't worry about Zika unless pregnancy was an issue. I would be more concerned with getting malaria or chikungunya fever if I did an excursion in the rain forest. Again, use DEET.

Neurological repercussions have now been suggested in adults. Not just pregnant or possibly pregnant women.

Not their responsibility outside of informing people and offering no penalty cancelations to pregnant women. I live in one of FL's ground zero counties. You have to be your own advocate and take proper precautions and not expect anyone else to do it for you

There's actually quite a bit on cc. Although you have a typo in your title, so that may be why you haven't found anything via search. Should be "zika". You'll find tons of other threads on the subject, but Bob's link is the best link. Labadee is not too far from other parts of Haiti, so even if Royal does everything in their power to make their beach safe, the mosquitos can still take a short flight to get you. Your best bet is to prevent being bitten (per the cdc link, there are many ways to prevent being bitten). Stay safe and enjoy your cruise!

There's actually quite a bit on cc. Although you have a typo in your title, so that may be why you haven't found anything via search. Should be "zika". You'll find tons of other threads on the subject, but Bob's link is the best link. Labadee is not too far from other parts of Haiti, so even if Royal does everything in their power to make their beach safe, the mosquitos can still take a short flight to get you. Your best bet is to prevent being bitten (per the cdc link, there are many ways to prevent being bitten). Stay safe and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks the typo is most likely why I haven't been able to see anything.

And thank you to all who have tried to help.

And to all you Flamer Bullies. I don't need your admonishment or teaching about personal responsible. I am fully aware that I am ultimately responsible for my own safety and will act accordingly.:):):)

Edited by JohnSnowGOT

What is the State of Florida doing to protect you from the virus?

What is the State of Florida doing to protect you from the virus?

not much locally.. basically PSA about the dangers of standing water and suggestion on how to de mosquitofy your property safely. lots of information, not a lot of action.

not sure if they are spraying any large swaths of public land or anything.

In 35 years of cruising, I have never had a mosquito bite in the Caribbean, but I do get chewed up in my own backyard. I need way more information about the virus to be even a little bit concerned. I will more worried if places start spraying to keep mosquitos down - I don't want to breath that crap.

Edited by mek

And to all you Flamer Bullies. I don't need your admonishment or teaching about personal responsible. )

Clearly you do when you ask what they are doing to protect you and say that there is no such thing as zero liability.

Neurological repercussions have now been suggested in adults. Not just pregnant or possibly pregnant women.

Key word here is "suggested". There is no research that has definitively found this to be true. Research is ongoing and who knows what we will find out in the future. Scientists will tell you that 80% of people will never know they have had Zika because it simply doesn't affect most people. If Zika has any effect on people, it will mimic a cold or the flu. The fact that it causes birth defects and can be sexually transmitted contributes to the massive news coverage. For the record, I'm married to a mosquito biologist who is working closely with the CDC on the Zika project.