Things To Do "As Soon as You Get on the Ship"

Ssutera

Thank you all! I always pack wipes, OCD about that stuff. We have made our dinner reservations and entertainment reservations already through our PCC who is great! I have to check about the comedy club, don't think I have that.

Is the iConcierge worth paying for and if so how many of us should put it on our phones? (DH and 2 teen boys traveling with us)

We are planning to board asap. We have a incoming 9:30 flight to FLL from NYC. So nothing to do but stop to buy a case of water and get to port.

Cannot wait to try Flamingo Grill. Really hope they do not change it to after our July 3rd cruise!

Keep the suggestions coming!!!

You are not allowed to bring water or soda anymore

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Definitely make show reservations. Especially if you want to do the comedy shows. Last week there was a very long line of people in the standby line who didn't get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can you tell me more about reserving for the comedy shows. Where/when/ how it works. We were just with Carnival and you just had to show up. It was great. Love comedy. I don't plan on using any apps or such, so will need to do it before the cruise or in person on the ship I guess.

Thanks so much for the great suggestions so far. I love the thought of taking a pic of the cabin, it will never be the same once we unpack. Also did not know about the spa raffle. Would love to win rather than pay if it was an option. Does anyone know if teens have to be registered for teen club?

Keep sharing learning a lot and hopefully others are too!!!

In my experience, those SPA Raffles are a waste of time and it is rare when they are totally free if you are lucky enough to win. Last one I "won" would have cost me $75-100.00 if I would have used it. I regretted wasting time there.

I would also stay away from the Art Auctions. Sure there are nice prints, but nothing that you couldn't find at home at much better prices.

If you are looking for sales at the shops on board, wait until the end of the week....T-Shirts, etc. usually are discounted then.

Get on ship...explore, check out cabin, have a drink, maybe a swim if you have your suit. If you haven't already, check out excursions offered to see what is available. Grab a bite to eat! RELAX...you are ON VACATION!

Have a great trip!

GGBOXERS

Pennsylvania

i have zero knowledge of art but on the BA last week they had some pricing out in the hallway. one special i remember is 3 for 19000 bucks. did i read that correctly?

do they think rich people go on cruises? rich people own yachts lol

I thought you were on our cruise 12/26- I'm a bit bummed.... hope you had a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i have zero knowledge of art but on the BA last week they had some pricing out in the hallway. one special i remember is 3 for 19000 bucks. did i read that correctly?

do they think rich people go on cruises? rich people own yachts lol

A 3 BR villas room to Alaska sells for $17k per person. So it sleeps 6.

A regular Havens room is $6K per person.

Edited by BirdTravels

Thanks - I have a lot to learn :)

When you view this reply - here is a way to be more savvy about terms and abbreviations !

Go to the top of this page and in the right corner is a blank space.

In that blank space search for GLOSSARY and a new window will open with

several thread postings of terms and abbreviations used here at CC (Cruise

Critic) as well as through out the cruise community.

Only comment is be careful how you refer to the ole xxxx of the family with

the inappropriate abbreviation ! ROFLOL (Rolling on the Floor Laughing OutLoud !

Keeping reading you will soon be swearing (I mean posting) with the best of us

at CC !

In my experience, those SPA Raffles are a waste of time and it is rare when they are totally free if you are lucky enough to win. Last one I "won" would have cost me $75-100.00 if I would have used it. I regretted wasting time there.

I'm going to offer a slightly different point of view ... but acknowledge that we all have different opinions and experiences so I'm not trying to say the other poster is 'wrong' in their opinion ... just sharing a different perspective ...

I can totally see the Spa raffle as being a waste of time if you don't win ... but we did just happen to win a $100 certificate ... and we are both massage-junkies ... so having the $100 to apply to a $149 massage that I would have booked anyway was a wonderful 'bonus' ... and made the time spent at the raffle worthwhile for me. Maybe not for anyone else, tho.

Just know ... at least on RC ... the certificate can only be used on certain "signature" spa services, not on everything on the 'menu' ... and you will be charged the 18% gratuity on the full price (which is reasonable to me, since the staff are performing the full service) but might be a surprise if you aren't expecting it. (and my hot stone massage was AaaaaaaaaaMazing!)

On a slightly different but related topic ... I attended the FREE "Lady's Pamper Party" and found the way it was titled and promoted a bit misleading ... but its the kind of thing that will only 'get' you once ... if you are a newbie (as I was/am) and haven't read any posts about it. Honestly, I don't feel my time was completely wasted ... I enjoyed trying the products and I was in no huge hurry to be anywhere else ... but ...

The whole 'party' is essentially a sales pitch for the spas skin care products (Elemis) and services. Essentially the staff give a little talk about skin care, and demonstrate multiple products in the line. Participants are given a small sample of each product as the talk goes on ... applying each as directed. In between each step the 'sales' part ramps up with a little spiel about a product package or a spa serivce package that you can purchase. So it's sort of a "product-sales pitch - product - sales pitch - product - sales pitch" routine ....

I'm not saying it's horrible and I'm not bashing anyone nor calling it a scam, but just know your own interest and toleration for such things. The products felt wonderful and I enjoyed trying them ... I didn't mind the 30-40 minutes spent doing so ... but I don't really enjoy sales pitches ... and sort of resent it being called a 'Pamper Party' ... but again, for me it wasn't a big deal.

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

I plan to do exactly this! It's going to be a bit hairy since I'm embarking in NYC in mid-December in possibly subzero weather, but what the heck, you only live once!

Forget packing your swimsuit...wear it underneath your travel clothes. Makes for a quick transition once on board.

On a slightly different but related topic ... I attended the FREE "Lady's Pamper Party" and found the way it was titled and promoted a bit misleading ... but its the kind of thing that will only 'get' you once ... if you are a newbie (as I was/am) and haven't read any posts about it. Honestly, I don't feel my time was completely wasted ... I enjoyed trying the products and I was in no huge hurry to be anywhere else ... but ...

The whole 'party' is essentially a sales pitch for the spas skin care products (Elemis) and services. Essentially the staff give a little talk about skin care, and demonstrate multiple products in the line. Participants are given a small sample of each product as the talk goes on ... applying each as directed. In between each step the 'sales' part ramps up with a little spiel about a product package or a spa serivce package that you can purchase. So it's sort of a "product-sales pitch - product - sales pitch - product - sales pitch" routine ....

I'm not saying it's horrible and I'm not bashing anyone nor calling it a scam, but just know your own interest and toleration for such things. The products felt wonderful and I enjoyed trying them ... I didn't mind the 30-40 minutes spent doing so ... but I don't really enjoy sales pitches ... and sort of resent it being called a 'Pamper Party' ... but again, for me it wasn't a big deal.

Same thing with an 'Anti-aging Seminar' I attended several years ago (NCL cruise). It was a pleasant way to spend an hour with other like-minded women, but I won't make that mistake again. product - sales pitch - product - sales pitch - and so on.

Thank you all! I always pack wipes, OCD about that stuff. We have made our dinner reservations and entertainment reservations already through our PCC who is great! I have to check about the comedy club, don't think I have that.

Is the iConcierge worth paying for and if so how many of us should put it on our phones? (DH and 2 teen boys traveling with us)

We are planning to board asap. We have a incoming 9:30 flight to FLL from NYC. So nothing to do but stop to buy a case of water and get to port.

Cannot wait to try Flamingo Grill. Really hope they do not change it to after our July 3rd cruise!

Keep the suggestions coming!!!

Do NOT stop to buy a case of water (or any other beverages) to carry (or otherwise) onboard!!! All beverages (aside from pre-planned a.k.a. medically necessary) will be confiscated. Only bottles of wine may be taken onboard, and the proper corkage fees will be charged.

This is not new, it has been in place on NCL ships for several months.

Be sure to check Q&A on NCL!!!

Same thing with an 'Anti-aging Seminar' I attended several years ago (NCL cruise). It was a pleasant way to spend an hour with other like-minded women, but I won't make that mistake again. product - sales pitch - product - sales pitch - and so on.

My Wife was talked into buying a bunch of things and when I say her she was upset and told me how pushy pushy pushy everything was. I said well do you like the products she said she did not think they were worth the money.

I said well lets take them back.

She was reluctant she is not one to return things and make a fuss. So I just told them my wife was pressured into buying these things and she wants them off the account the smiley faces went to disgust and gave us a hard time I spoke with some sort of manager and the charges were removed.

What a hassle on your first day. I realize she should of just said no thank you but man its like time share sales folks.

On our last cruise, the CD mentioned a presentation where "You can win prizes and get tips on getting great deals at local shops." Turned out to be a massive sales pitch for an exclusive "coupon book" and "VIP Card," with some lady hectoring us about how our lives would be worthless and incomplete unless we bought a fancy designer watch from some Cayman Islands store. Her pitch was "Now be sure and show this VIP Card to every store I take you to. This VIP Card will let the people there know that you've been educated and know what the good prices really are." No, it will let the store owners know you're a gullible maroon they can rip off.

The GF and I were amazed at the behavior of the people around us. The organizer said "Now, I want you all to turn to the page showing the shops in Grand Cayman and write Priority Tender 8:30 AM at the top." And, like automatons, the people around us were all writing exactly what she said. We felt like we were in a Stepford Wives sequel.

Then she pitched a $50 coupon book, saying "There's hundreds of dollars of savings inside, and only a limited number of these books, so you have to get yours NOW." People almost started FIGHTING over them. It was unbelievable.

We waited until the last prize had been given away and got the heck out of there.

• 3 weeks later...