Cruise Ship Plows into Ketchikan dock!

Working 2 Cruise

One less dock in Ketchikan....:p

KTVA Anchorage CBS 11 reports that the Celebrity Infinity slammed into Berth 3. Ship and dock are both damaged. Apparently, gale force winds were part of it. What a shame!

This is why I don't mind when a port is missed.

Oh my! I hope it did not stop the excursions into town. That is sad.

Ketchikan is my favorite port. I really do hope the passengers were able to enjoy their visit to Ketchikan. :)

Apparently, according to some comments under the video, the passengers did make it in (I would suppose they used tenders judging from the last comment on the video). One of the comments made mention that the shops stayed open late for them.

I read in an article earlier today that the ship stayed there overnight and were moved to another berth. At that point a determination had not been made if they were going to have to charter planes to get the passengers back to the disembarkation point, however, this seems to indicate that they were cleared to continue on: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7062 . Estimates on the damage to the dock were in the $2 - $3 million range.

Edited by azbirdmom

Over on the Celebrity site, some of the current passengers are posting. They docked 2.5 hrs late, but got to stay 2.5 hrs longer. They have all been given OBC and refunds of excursion money to help make up for the inconvenience. The ship came close to sliding into the HAL ship next to them.

One less dock in Ketchikan....:p

KTVA Anchorage CBS 11 reports that the Celebrity Infinity slammed into Berth 3. Ship and dock are both damaged. Apparently, gale force winds were part of it. What a shame!

This is why I don't mind when a port is missed.

Many $$$$ worth of pain

I read in an article earlier today that the ship stayed there overnight and were moved to another berth. At that point a determination had not been made if they were going to have to charter planes to get the passengers back to the disembarkation point, however, this seems to indicate that they were cleared to continue on: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7062 . Estimates on the damage to the dock were in the $2 - $3 million range.

If it was just a few $million in damage, then there must not have been much damage done.

It's doubtful the pilot had control of the ship.:eek:

The pilot is on the bridge as an adviser. The captain is always in charge of and responsible for the ship. Therefore it was the captain's responsibility to not crash the ship. However accidents do happen and winds do come up unexpectedly. Until we get more facts it may be an unavoidable accident due to sudden weather or one that could have been anticipated and avoided.

BTW Ketchikan is where they were going to build the "bridge to nowhere". Actually it was to be a bridge to the island where the airport is located. Now they have to take a ferry to get a flight and they have no roads out of the city.