Millennium and Celebrity Observations

joeysmom220

Just back from Southbound Alaska cruise on Millennium. Have done several cruises on Celebrity the past 5 years and sad to say this was probably last and will try different lines now. It's the little things.

Sushi and munchies from the buffet at 5pm are a thing of the past - unless you want to pay full price for sushi and wait for it on Sushi on 5. Had the Premium wine pkg but premium wine was usually not available unless you waited for it to be brought from another bar. No more fresh squeezed grapefruit and orange juice in the morning. Nothing to munch on at most bars. Food was good, but not the quality/selection as in the past. Didn't try specialty restaurants-why should you have to pay $40 extra to have a meal? Sushi on 5 was empty most all the time - and I made it a point to look! Just out of drydock and rust was visible on balcony and around the doors. The railings I could see from 9th were all in need of varnish. Chairs all around and especially in the cafe were worn down to the wood on the arm rests. Room service was terrible - only ordered breakfast - and extra charges apply for several items. It used to be the ship would offer a tour. I haven't verified yet but was told a behind the scenes tour of the ship is offered at $150? Used to be free. Finally, most of the shows were terrible - appeared to be the same shows I saw last year on the Summit - with worse performers.

It wasn't all bad! Service was excellent at all the bars and most of the dining room. Cabin attendants were great. Waiters, though overworked, were good. Sommilier, no so much. The naturalist, Milos, was excellent. Great dining partners at a 10 top each evening and shared breakfast tables. Scenery was to die for...

But it's certainly not the Celebrity cruiseline of the past. The level of service was good but the surroundings have diminished as has the overall experience. Looking forward to next trip but it won't be Celebrity.

Oh dear, sorry to hear Millie didn't meet your expectations. Since the drydock, we were hoping to hear some positive comments as we're sailing on her over Christmas :(.

Appears the poor shows are apparent throughout the fleet (having read some of the other threads on the subject).

We were on Millie for a Japan and China cruise last Oct/Nov. It was great.

Can't comment on the sushi, since we don't care for it, but we didn't find any of the other things that you commented on in your review. Of course, I stopped drinking orange juice since my potassium levels are up.

Yes, I would like to know what line you are moving to?

Just back from Southbound Alaska cruise on Millennium. Have done several cruises on Celebrity the past 5 years and sad to say this was probably last and will try different lines now. It's the little things.

Sushi and munchies from the buffet at 5pm are a thing of the past - unless you want to pay full price for sushi and wait for it on Sushi on 5. Had the Premium wine pkg but premium wine was usually not available unless you waited for it to be brought from another bar. No more fresh squeezed grapefruit and orange juice in the morning. Nothing to munch on at most bars. Food was good, but not the quality/selection as in the past. Didn't try specialty restaurants-why should you have to pay $40 extra to have a meal? Sushi on 5 was empty most all the time - and I made it a point to look! Just out of drydock and rust was visible on balcony and around the doors. The railings I could see from 9th were all in need of varnish. Chairs all around and especially in the cafe were worn down to the wood on the arm rests. Room service was terrible - only ordered breakfast - and extra charges apply for several items. It used to be the ship would offer a tour. I haven't verified yet but was told a behind the scenes tour of the ship is offered at $150? Used to be free. Finally, most of the shows were terrible - appeared to be the same shows I saw last year on the Summit - with worse performers.

It wasn't all bad! Service was excellent at all the bars and most of the dining room. Cabin attendants were great. Waiters, though overworked, were good. Sommilier, no so much. The naturalist, Milos, was excellent. Great dining partners at a 10 top each evening and shared breakfast tables. Scenery was to die for...

But it's certainly not the Celebrity cruiseline of the past. The level of service was good but the surroundings have diminished as has the overall experience. Looking forward to next trip but it won't be Celebrity.

Wow... I couldn't disagree more. I just got off Millie on May 20 and was quite pleased with how good she was looking. Of course there's going to be some rust here and there, but on the whole I thought the ship looked great.

With regards to Sushi on 5 - I might try it once, but I can't see myself frequenting it at the prices they're charging. I love sushi, but I don't care that the buffet sushi is gone as the quality was very average at best.

We had absolutely no problem getting premium wine, and the service at the bars was great - tipping appropriately likely helped. We didn't eat in the MDR so I can't comment on service there, but the specialties, Luminae and Blu all had excellent service.

I enjoyed my cruise thoroughly, and wouldn't hesitate to sail on Millie again.

Wow... I couldn't disagree more. I just got off Millie on May 20 and was quite pleased with how good she was looking. Of course there's going to be some rust here and there, but on the whole I thought the ship looked great.

With regards to Sushi on 5 - I might try it once, but I can't see myself frequenting it at the prices they're charging. I love sushi, but I don't care that the buffet sushi is gone as the quality was very average at best.

We had absolutely no problem getting premium wine, and the service at the bars was great - tipping appropriately likely helped. We didn't eat in the MDR so I can't comment on service there, but the specialties, Luminae and Blu all had excellent service.

I enjoyed my cruise thoroughly, and wouldn't hesitate to sail on Millie again.

Thank you both for your experiences, we are on Millie in July 2017 and look forward to a great sailing...

bon voyage

Thanks for the info from both posters. We have 2 trips booked on the Millie, July 2016 and March 2017 so I am hoping that all is good. Sushi is not something I would eat so I don't mind that they are now charging for it. I found Bistro on 5 to be over priced and under used as well. We tried it on the Summit in the Caribbean when it was $5 and that was ok but once it went to $7 and then $10, no way that was happening. I guess we will find out a lot more in 31 days.....

How was the internet onboard? Was it reliable and fast with Excelerate? I have to do some work online during our cruise. :( Thanks for letting me know.

I was on her too and the internet was spectacular!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

How was the internet onboard? Was it reliable and fast with Excelerate? I have to do some work online during our cruise. :( Thanks for letting me know.

I'm sorry to say that for us the internet service was horrid. It was down one whole day and a good portion of another day. The other days we couldn't pick up a signal in our stateroom (6132). We went to the iLounge most times, it seemed to work better there, but was still slow. We tried various public places around the ship. Some were better than others, but none were great.

I was on her too and the internet was spectacular!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Internet service on any cruise ship is usually very, very slow and just not worth the bother.

However, it depends on where the ship is. If you are near Cape Horn, middle of the Atlantic or between Iceland and Scotland, it will stink. Perhaps if you are in the Caribbean it might be better.

I'm sorry to say that for us the internet service was horrid. It was down one whole day and a good portion of another day. The other days we couldn't pick up a signal in our stateroom (6132). We went to the iLounge most times, it seemed to work better there, but was still slow. We tried various public places around the ship. Some were better than others, but none were great.

Maybe your equipment setting was not optimally or correctly set? Just a thought.

bon voyage

I agree rust on a seagoing vessel is the norm, but not on a ship just out of dry dock for painting. The looks of the railings and furnishings shouldn't be excused.

I was not disappointed with the experience on Millie. Love smaller ships and Summit is a favorite. I am disappointed in celebrity for a lack of maintenance or postponing replacement of well-worn furnishings, for lowering the quality of food service particularly in the buffet area, for not stocking premium wines at all bars (and I do tip appropriately with each drink-25+ years in hotels/restaurants does that!), and for charging extra f o r so many things that used to be free.

It's hard to pinpoint one or two things that weren't right. It's the overall experience that was diminished. Service was excellent for the most part so staff didn't do it. The cut backs the bean-counters have made were very noticeable to me.

Again, just my observations.

So far windstar stands out as a next aventure. Sailed with them in Europe and they were great. Also will try Oceania.

Sue

We are going to try MSC (7 day out of Southampton in September). It will be our first non Celebrity cruise (we are elite plus).

I think Celebrity has a great product if you are willing to pay for a suite. If you are in anything else, I am thinking there really isn't a lot of difference between Celebrity and many other cruise lines.

We are back on Summit for Christmas this year (my favorite X ship). So we aren't abandoning ship completely, but we are going to explore other lines.

Dodger, you hit the nail on the head!

Celebrity is successful in recreating the class system on a ship. I met no one on this trip that was in a suite. I met a few in Aqua class. Between speciality and exclusive restaurants and private bars, the "upper" class is completely removed from the masses. The "masses" experience has changed and you're right, you can get that experience on most lines today.

Celebrity used to give that intangible experience to all.

Dodger, you hit the nail on the head!

Celebrity is successful in recreating the class system on a ship. I met no one on this trip that was in a suite. I met a few in Aqua class. Between speciality and exclusive restaurants and private bars, the "upper" class is completely removed from the masses. The "masses" experience has changed and you're right, you can get that experience on most lines today.

Celebrity used to give that intangible experience to all.

I guess I'm ok with that...I like the idea of suites paying the high prices...that makes the rest of us pay less. We sail mostly in balconies (upcoming Xmas is ocean view on Summit), and usually it only costs us about $1,000 per person for a week....sometimes less.

I think if I was going to pay the high costs that suites pay, I would choose a more upscale line, but many must not agree with that.

I guess I'm ok with that...I like the idea of suites paying the high prices...that makes the rest of us pay less. We sail mostly in balconies (upcoming Xmas is ocean view on Summit), and usually it only costs us about $1,000 per person for a week....sometimes less.

I think if I was going to pay the high costs that suites pay, I would choose a more upscale line, but many must not agree with that.

Disagree that Celebrity is fostering a class system. Just like flying, if you are willing to pay triple or four times the price and go First Class, fine.

Suite passengers and others, like ourselves still share the vast majority of the ship.

We upgraded to a Sky Suite on Millie last year. We got a great deal, would never pay the original asking price. Main difference was we dined in Luminae. I guess some people are just more sensitive than others on this issue.

Disagree that Celebrity is fostering a class system. Just like flying, if you are willing to pay triple or four times the price and go First Class, fine.

Isn't that the definition of a "class system"...And I'm fine with it...like I said before you pay way more than me, you can have your own lounge and restaurant, and I will take my cheaper fare, partly due to the suites paying way more.

Isn't that the definition of a "class system"...And I'm fine with it...like I said before you pay way more than me, you can have your own lounge and restaurant, and I will take my cheaper fare, partly due to the suites paying way more.

I view a class system on a cruise as one that totally separates First Class from the others.

I just got back yesterday from my May 27th cruisetour on Millennium. The dry dock didn't seem to affect most of the ship, but it was definitely cleaned and brightened up for the most part. The new deck 12 was very nice though. I'm sure in thew warmed climates it's going to be a huge party spot for many people.

As for the new Sushi on Five, it's more than just sushi there. However, I wouldn't be paying any extra from what I saw of the dishes. Here's the menu:

0?url=http%3A%2F%2Fuse-opa-thumb1-s3.ciggws.net%2F750%2F3ac%2F12d%2Fl%2F9545103c1dd36c7ea9ed7ebecf3384622ff057b4.jpg%3FExpires%3D1465485890%26Signature%3DZnUa81TtmsWkOmPSHxHBD5RDLIs7KjVKri6PYAMieivDnbt5zeuoHgEpOi2cOBsYmw7X07v8OriQJR9OjEX95Gf6Ei3PyBkJLVGaJ8euYk8GMNO-kwWZtCDLgZRWQTn5O8F43E3cjEJDrQzvWjWUdXNeuRr-O53g3a7XAUNmIwY_%26Key-Pair-Id%3DAPKAI6Q7XM4O2UGWCGGA

• 4 weeks later...
We were on Millie for a Japan and China cruise last Oct/Nov. It was great.

Can't comment on the sushi, since we don't care for it, but we didn't find any of the other things that you commented on in your review. Of course, I stopped drinking orange juice since my potassium levels are up.

Yes, I would like to know what line you are moving to?

Hi Papa, saw you were on the Japan/China cruise last year and wondered if you could help me with a question?

How do we get into Shanghai from Baoshan when the cruise ends? Are there shuttles? The ship docks at 0700 which is a very busy time for taxis in Shanghai, how quickly do they get everyone off the ship?

And while I'm asking... which excursions did you find best?

Any info gratefully received. Gill

Some thoughts on the changing Celebrity experience ........

We started cruising in 2001. First sailing was on Mercury. Since then, we've sailed Celebrity 29 other times. Carnival X 3, MSC x 1, RCL x 3, NCL x 4 and Oceania X 2. Each line has as different character, each ship within a line a different feel.

Over the years we've found Celebrity to fit our cruising personality and value needs the best but there has definately been changes. None of them, however, enough to cruise on another line and leave Celebrity behind. Here's a quick list of changes we've seen since 2001:

Reduction in service staff - Hotel, Food and Beverage Departments but not within the Engineering, Navigation or Safety Departments.

Food quality, portion size, the dining experience overall.

Transition in the specialty restaurants.

Pour size at the bars.

Transition in the entertainment area.

Cabin pricing and perk packaging.

What has not changed is our overall experience aboard Celbrity ships. We like it even though it is different. We've kind of gone with the flow recognizing that the market dictates the changes we've seen and that I've listed above. In my view, Celebrity has done an excellent job of retaining market share. That reflects well on the direction corporate has taken in my view. Others may disagree.

Some of the things in that regard that I think Celebrity has done particularly well at:

Pricing. We are value cruisers. We feel the best bang for our crusing buck is cruising in OV cabins and optimizing both booking incentives (on and off the ship) and perks. If you look at the pricing for the 4th of July Specials, there are some very good deals with pricing coming in at well under $100 per day if you want a no frills experience in an inside cabin or just a shade over that if you book an OV and take the perks.

When you compare pricing on an apples to apples basis between cruise lines, you'll see Celbrity provides great value. That's important to us essentially in retirement and flexible on dates. Other factors will play differently for those without flexible schedules. In that case, cruisers may not be able to take advantage of the sailings that aren't getting heavily booked, in the shoulder seasons and so forth.

Despite the changing dining experience we still find it pretty enjoyable. The table staff don't have as much time to engage and entertain you and those that do are a cut above and tend to get promoted if they so desire. The specialty restaurants do not offer the service they did in the past that made them worth an up charge and the up charge now is just too high. I'm disappointed in the end of the ocean liner themed restaurants on the M class ships but times change, dining preferences among cruisers change and the things Celebrity is trying are consistent with what the demand seems to be in the restaurant business. The dining venues in the S class ships are a reflection of that and so are the changes and additions in the M class ships.

We love the Martini bars. They've undergone some changes over the years. What used to be the Martini bar on the M class ships is now a wine bar and of course the S class ships introduced the newest version of them and as the M class ships were soltstisized that feature was added. On our last cruise on Summit in May, the Martini bar served martinis in Champagne glasses. I was told that the new martini glasses ordered for the bar didn't arrive in time for the cruise. OK. How do you let that happen? But we survived!

If those of you who cruised before, say, 2010, remember the Martini glasses, you will remember they were very special, large to say the least. Bartenders just poured into the shaker, they never measured and filling those glasses took at least 4 oz, closer to 5. While they don't use shot glasses to measure now, they are measuring in the shaker and very carefully. The pour is right around 3.5 oz. and the martini glasses that used to be at the other bars are now the standard ar the Martini bar. They are much smaller.

Shows: we are Broadway fans so, we like the shows. One thing I have noticed is that creeping into the production shows is a lot of areal work, less Broadway and one of the new production shows Elyria, is out there though we still enjoy it. Celebrity recently started a separate production show entity called The Studio. All the shows are being developed and produced there in Miami then moved to the ships. If anything, the quality of the productions is higher but they are different. Casting is also controlled by The Studio and, yes, this makes a difference ship by ship. You'll find some really great performers and some pretty average. However, the competition for parts is huge so, there's a natural thinning process that, we think, is pretty good.

Finally, I think Celebrity, like most other main stream lines, along with the airlines, have a tiered approach to pricing. I.e., you get what you pay for. Suite class, Concierge and Aqua Class offers more if you want to pay for it. Private dining is one of them and from what I hear while the food is not a lot different, the level of service is. Carnival has Havana Staerooms and suites, on the newer ships, a completely private area. I will say I've never felt class conscious aboard Celebrity. I have on Carnival. There is a very real difference in the character of passengers booking ordinary Carnival cabins and those booking Havana cabins. I think Celebrity has done a good job of implementing an upscale cruise experience without alienating the rest. Carnival, by far the biggest line having the biggest market share, is working to capture a larger portion of cruisers willing to pay the price tag for exclusivity. Don't know if it's working. I haven't seen the numbers.

• 4 weeks later...

We've sailed on Equinox & Solstice in Aqua and have booked Millie for Crossing to Asia in 2017, looking at the deck plans, I can't find Blu, where is it on this ship? Also it looks like the Persian Garden is w/o windows, no relaxation room that I can find. Is it worth upgrading to Aqua???