Millennium and Celebrity Observations

joeysmom220

I have to politely disagree with the OP. We just got back from AK on the Millie and had a wonderful experience. It's not perfect, but all things considered, we had no complaints. The Millie is older and I was concerned about that, but we found her to be in very good condition. They were constantly working on her while we cruised, but it did not inconvenience us in any way.

Really interesting to read all the different perspectives. We have just booked a 14 night South East Asia cruise in Aqua and I am sure we will have a great time.

I do agree that Celebrity has "slipped" a little since we first cruised the Med in 2010. In 2015 our Solstice Sky Suite experience (S1 aft) was average at best. Our impression could have been affected by the fact we had paid so much more than previously for a suite, so our expectations were very high. Mind you, we still had a wonderful time and the cabin itself was lovely.

We are looking forward to being back on M class-Solstice was a great ship, but for some reason left us cold, whereas we just loved Summit to Bermuda in 2012.

Overall, I think Celebrity is still a great experience, but we won't book suites now as we don't see enough value for the prices currently being charged.

Oh dear, sorry to hear Millie didn't meet your expectations. Since the drydock, we were hoping to hear some positive comments as we're sailing on her over Christmas :(.

Appears the poor shows are apparent throughout the fleet (having read some of the other threads on the subject).

When a ship comes out of drydock, it is fantasy yo believe that every nook and cranny will be perfect. That is not the purpose of drydock. The reviews on the ships in drydock have been positive.

We did Millie on May 27 - Alaska north bound. Aqua class deck 11. We have cruised on Connie several times and love her so we figured Millie would be about the same and she was. We loved Millie.

We thought the ship was in wonderful shape! Bright and clean, crew was friendly and the Officers were out and about. It is always funny to me that people book an older ship and then complain that things aren't like brand new. :cool:

We've sailed on Equinox & Solstice in Aqua and have booked Millie for Crossing to Asia in 2017, looking at the deck plans, I can't find Blu, where is it on this ship? Also it looks like the Persian Garden is w/o windows, no relaxation room that I can find. Is it worth upgrading to Aqua???

1. near the back of the ship with other restaurants, level 5

2. Personal choice. You get access to Blu as well, which some like and others aren't fussed.

Personally, if the premium isn't much, I'd consider it, but not if it's substantially more.

If those of you who cruised before, say, 2010, remember the Martini glasses, you will remember they were very special, large to say the least. Bartenders just poured into the shaker, they never measured and filling those glasses took at least 4 oz, closer to 5. While they don't use shot glasses to measure now, they are measuring in the shaker and very carefully. The pour is right around 3.5 oz. and the martini glasses that used to be at the other bars are now the standard ar the Martini bar. They are much smaller.

True. I have fond memories of the Martini Bar on the Zenith in 2000. Not only were the glasses larger, but they were an eclectic bunch. It seemed like no two glasses were alike. I can remember being served in a glass with a "cactus" for the stem, or a curved blue stem or a lightening bolt stem. It was part of the fun - which glass will I get tonight?

Zenith to Bermuda from NYC in 1997 was our 1st cruise. Just looked at our history on line and we sailed on her 3 times, all in ocean view staterooms. It was not until our 5th cruise that we had a balcony. Took us until that cruise to try a martini. Now we love them, when we aren't drinking wine. :D

We've sailed on Equinox & Solstice in Aqua and have booked Millie for Crossing to Asia in 2017, looking at the deck plans, I can't find Blu, where is it on this ship? Also it looks like the Persian Garden is w/o windows, no relaxation room that I can find. Is it worth upgrading to Aqua???

Blu has been carved out of the MDR space and separated from it with its own entrance. I believe it is on deck 5, portside. You are right about no windows in Persian Gardens. Blu is definitely worth it. We never go to Persain Gardens as it is so dark and uninviting to us.

We are going to try MSC (7 day out of Southampton in September). It will be our first non Celebrity cruise (we are elite plus).

I think Celebrity has a great product if you are willing to pay for a suite. If you are in anything else, I am thinking there really isn't a lot of difference between Celebrity and many other cruise lines.

We are back on Summit for Christmas this year (my favorite X ship). So we aren't abandoning ship completely, but we are going to explore other lines.

Don't forget to let MSC know your status has they status match and you get a few nice little touches on board x

So far windstar stands out as a next aventure. Sailed with them in Europe and they were great. Also will try Oceania.

Sue

So you'll pay the same for a mere cabin on Windstar or Oceania that would get you a Suite on Celebrity -- with Butler and Concierge, Luminae and Michael's (their bartenders and sommeliers never had any problem finding what we wanted)? The "class system" must really gall you ;)

I enjoyed reading your post jbuch02, and we see changes (decline) across the cruise lines on which we have been repeat customers during the past 15 years. However, we find the experience overall to meet the cost/benefit ratio.

My wife and I have observed, experienced, and reflected upon the increase in class distinctions being made throughout the whole entertainment and travel industries since 2000. The end of this road may not be pleasant.

We are going to try MSC (7 day out of Southampton in September). It will be our first non Celebrity cruise (we are elite plus).

I think Celebrity has a great product if you are willing to pay for a suite. If you are in anything else, I am thinking there really isn't a lot of difference between Celebrity and many other cruise lines.

In my experience, there is an enormous difference between Celebrity and MSC. Night and day, chalk and cheese etc., etc. Most notably in respect of the food.

That experiment didn't work out for us but we are looking to try HAL Koningsdam next year so will test your theory again then!

Wishing you happy sailing :)