Driving myself crazy with this decision!!

rgmacm

So.....for those who have cruised Alaska before (and opinions from others with kids in college will carry a lot of weight.... ;) )

1) What cabin did you choose?

2) Why did you choose it?

3) Now that you're home, do you think you'd make the same decision again? Did it turn out to be a 'wise' decision?

First of all, what I may choose may not be the best option for you. I would never cruise without being on a balcony. We use our balcony extensively. We have coffee in the morning on our balcony. We take in Alaska from our balcony. We can hear the Ranger and the nature commentator clearly from our balcony. Granted, if we've got a port side cabin and something is seen on the starboard side, people on the observation decks run to that side of the ship to see the whale that already went back into the ocean and totally missed it. You can't be on both sides of the ship at once. I also believe the experience of the ship is a big decision. This last time we went on the Carnival Legend (2 weeks go), and we will never do that again. The ship/food/screaming children isn't our cup of tea. So, that was not a wise decision for us.

I could never book an inside room - not matter how cheap it is. But, it's your budget and money so you will have to decide on that. We don't have children in college and we are retired. We have the luxury of booking and go whenever we choose. What are your priorities? Enjoy life now (we have no guarantees of being here tomorrow), or bite the bullet and sacrifice for our children. Only you can answer that.

But it's a no brainer for us, it has to be a balcony.

P.S. As for the coffee, you can always order room service for that. It's free, just tip the person a couple of bucks.

Edited by elliair

I'm driving MYSELF crazy on this!! :) and posting on the Princess board (rather than the Alaska board) because we are 'settled' on taking our Alaskan cruise with Princess. I'm particularly interested in opinions from other Princess cruisers....about Princess ships.

My dilemma? What cabin category to choose...

Here's my thought process:

Opinion #1: Alaska cruises are expensive!! Get the interior cabin. Just get on the ship for the least amount of money, then go up on deck and enjoy Alaska. :)

Then...comes Opinion #2: If you're going to spend the money to go, postpone it a year, save up and get the balcony. If you're going to do this, do it up "right" :)

Then...quickly flows Opinion #3: You'll want to spend all your time up on deck where the Rangers are talking...not to mention that's where the coffee is. You don't want to miss what the Rangers have to say...and who wants to be making 10 trips a day up stairs/elevator to get more coffee....just stay up on deck. If you do that, the balcony cabin (and it's extra cost) goes to waste....

And then the ever-looming Opinion #4: OH MY WORD!!! WE HAVE A CHILD IN COLLEGE!! The only reason we can afford to BREATHE is because air is free!! :eek:

Which, of course, takes me immediately back to opinion #1...which flows into #2...then #3...then #4 and back to 1... You get the idea!!

So.....for those who have cruised Alaska before (and opinions from others with kids in college will carry a lot of weight.... ;) )

3) Now that you're home, do you think you'd make the same decision again? Did it turn out to be a 'wise' decision?

We've gone on Alaskan cruises 5 times, first one had a balcony (free upgrade from a window cabin) next three times obstructed ocean view guarantee cabin, last time inside cabin.

Yes, Alaska cruises are VERY pricy. Last cruise we got s great deal for inside, $499 pp booked 3 months out

We like booking the cruises out of Seattle because it is much easier to get reasonable airfare close to sailing date as opposed to the cruises which depart from AK and work southbound

I truly think it is a huge waste of money (only MY opinion related to MY experience) to pay for a balcony for Alaskan cruises. The balcony is too chilly most of the times to utilize AND especially if departing from San Francisco, too much wind, too cold

Alaska is THE only itinerary where we do not give a second thought to booking a non-balcony cabin

We much prefer to be up on top deck enjoying the panorama of beautiful sights! [emoji3]

I know many who will only consider having a balcony for Alaska. For us, it is a great waste of money, especially with the prices now[emoji15][emoji33]

Save the money that you would otherwise spend on a balcony and use on excursions instead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

The first time we sailed to Alaska was in a mini-suite. The entire cruise it was 55 degrees and raining. We didn't once use the balcony.

The weather in Alaska is totally unpredictable. Last year (our third cruise) we finally hit the jackpot and the weather was perfect the entire time.

My point is go to go see Alaska. My personal opinion is the trip is amazing...don't miss it!!!

We booked an obstructed view for our first cruise to Alaska--but only because I was able to get it for the same price as an inside. We were lucky to be upgraded on our third cruise to Alaska from an obstructed view guarantee to a deluxe ocean view cabin that had a balcony without furniture. (The Sapphire and Diamond were the two ships with these cabins at the front of the ship.) Having the balcony was great in Glacier Bay, but we had great cruises without a balcony as well. I'm glad I did not pay extra for it.

This year I will have 2 kids in college and another who's 2 years away from college. I've been to Alaska 2 times, once on my honeymoon and once 3 years ago with all 3 kids.

My advice is to go as soon as you can; don't wait another year to afford a balcony. Once your kids get into college their priorities may change and they might not be as interested in a family vacation.

My two oldest are working hard this summer to save for a semester abroad next year and wouldn't want to take time off this summer to go on another cruise. Next summer they'll be looking for internships, so that probably won't work well either.

Also, if you're feeling broke now....just wait until those tuition bills and all the college extras hit. If you go now you'll still come up with the money to pay the tuition and college extras, but once you've started paying those bills it's hard to think about coughing up extra money for an extravagant vacation. (I know that's weird logic, but hopefully you understand).

We like a balcony (we booked a balcony for the adults on our Alaska cruise and put the 3 kids in an inside to save money), but we've also done all insides on a cruise to Mexico and loved that as well.

Go now while the going is good! The kids can buy their own balcony cabins after they've graduated from college if they want to go back to Alaska.

I have one kid who recently graduated from college and is currently living at home while looking for a job, another who is just finishing his first year of college (last final today, picking him up tomorrow!) and a third who is just finishing her junior year of high school and will be applying to colleges next year. I feel your pain!

My husband and I have been to Alaska together 7 times, with our 8th coming up next month. We almost always book an inside cabin. We had a balcony for our honeymoon in 2009, but we hardly used it due to chain smokers next to us. (This was before Princess banned balcony smoking!) I swore I'd never waste money on a balcony again if smoking was allowed. We chose inside cabins after that and were perfectly happy with them. We spend most of our time on deck anyway. Last year we had a balcony only because there was a huge price drop and I jumped on it. Prices went back up within days, so I was lucky to get it. We did enjoy it and use it, but I think I jinxed the weather by getting a balcony, and it rained almost the entire week. Luckily the balcony was covered, so we went out anyway, but it wasn't as enjoyable as if it could have been if the weather was nicer.

This year we decided to try Holland America. They still allow smoking on balconies, so it is back to inside cabins for us! I did manage to book under a promo to get the free drinks package, so that will be a fun experience. We will splurge on the Taku Lodge excursion in Juneau with the money we saved.

I've been to Alaska 8 times. It's addictive.

I did an inside cabin in Grand Princess a couple of years ago. It was on Lido deck and it was great. Loved it. Just got up in the AM and walked out to the pool area. There is pizza, hamburgers and fries and the buffet beyond that. This was a great location. Easy access to Movies Under the Stars (which was awesome in Alaska).

I don't think you have to have a balcony in Alaska. Even when I have had one- I've sat in other locations to take in the view.

We more often then not, have taken aft balconies for Alaska trips because we prefer to not have quite as much wind as the sides of the ship plus we still can get a panoramic view of everything but, saving money for the more expensive excursions would follow this* suggestion.

Take an inside cabin on either Lido (quick access to open decks and great viewing) or Emerald deck (just one quick flight down to Promenade Deck where you can quickly walk between port and starboard to see the main attractions of the moment. You can also walk forward on the Promenade deck to the "Whale's Mouth" and have a forward (and covered) view of everything.

Hi,

I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a Lido balcony on my Alaska cruise. As others have mentioned, you can hear the naturalist on the TV and pop in to get warm, use the bathroom, etc. I spent at good part of every single day on my balcony, watching the scenery, using the binolculars, and reading. I did go up on the main deck a few times for glaciers, etc., but found that the crowds were overwhelming and it was hard to get to the rail to see anything. What really made it great for me is that I love photography, and on the balcony i was not being bumped and jostled by others trying to take pictures or see the whales. I have some great shots and wonderful memories of a lovely, peaceful time in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Only you can decide what setting is best for you and your family - whatever you decide this will be an amazing trip and I envy you! Enjoy!

We have sailed Alaska twice in a balcony. We went up on deck for the panoramic view. Did not use our balcony at all! Go now in an inside. It will be wonderful! You will also be able to sleep b/c it will be dark in your cabin, no midnight sun to keep you awake. That was a real problem for me, if it was light I was awake! By day 4 of not getting a full night of sleep I was a wreak!

Yes, this can be an issue if it isn't raining and overcast. We had this problem on our first cruise, but I think the ships have fixed this by having heavier curtains to block out the light.

First of all, what I may choose may not be the best option for you. I would never cruise without being on a balcony. We use our balcony extensively. We have coffee in the morning on our balcony. We take in Alaska from our balcony. We can hear the Ranger and the nature commentator clearly from our balcony. Granted, if we've got a port side cabin and something is seen on the starboard side, people on the observation decks run to that side of the ship to see the whale that already went back into the ocean and totally missed it. You can't be on both sides of the ship at once. I also believe the experience of the ship is a big decision. This last time we went on the Carnival Legend (2 weeks go), and we will never do that again. The ship/food/screaming children isn't our cup of tea. So, that was not a wise decision for us.

I could never book an inside room - not matter how cheap it is. But, it's your budget and money so you will have to decide on that. We don't have children in college and we are retired. We have the luxury of booking and go whenever we choose. What are your priorities? Enjoy life now (we have no guarantees of being here tomorrow), or bite the bullet and sacrifice for our children. Only you can answer that.

But it's a no brainer for us, it has to be a balcony.

P.S. As for the coffee, you can always order room service for that. It's free, just tip the person a couple of bucks.

This is how we have cruised too. And we have cruised 7 times to Alaska, always in a balcony cabin. We are going again in July this year. We love being in a balcony cabin. We will go out on it even in the rain (unless it is pouring buckets! And that can happen in Alaska) My DH likes to use his camera and has never felt he missed anything taking them from the balcony. Yes, we did go up on the deck the first cruise we took and found that we preferred being on our balcony. We have always been able to hear the ranger talk in our cabin when you are in Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm or College Fijord.

Six years ago, I booked an OV for an Alaskan cruise with my mom (she was 81) and the upgrade fairy put us in a balcony! Perfect for Mom who could go in and out as she pleased and not worry about crowds on the upper deck.

Our daughter and her husband, on the other hand, always book an interior cabin. They find they spend most of the time out and about. And up on deck when in Alaska. When they sleep, they like the cabin to be dark.

If you knew for certain that it was going to be sunny the whole time on your cruise - I would suggest a balcony. But if you are the type that want to be out and about, pick the interior one. Or as others have suggested get an obst OV and check back on possible price drops. Plus as others have suggested don't wait to afford it - book an interior cabin and go!

One other suggestion - If you have a Nat'l Park Passport book - bring it. The ranger will have a table up on deck where they will stamp it for you, besides selling Nat'l park items re: the glacier you are reviewing.

Lots of different views so far. Here's ours:

When we had kids in college, we didn't cruise or take vacations at all.

Since we got back in vacation mode, we've never booked less than a balcony. We like lots of light and access to the outdoors. Up on decks may be the best view for Alaska or Panama Canal or whatever, but we don't want to be limited to that if it's 50 degrees and drizzly (Alaska) or 105 and swimming in a river of humidity (Panama Canal).

If you are the kind who never spends time in the room, maybe a balcony doesn't matter much. But we DO spend time in the cabin, resting, reading, enjoying the view off the balcony, lazy morning on a sea day, once or twice a breakfast on the balcony. Maybe just ducking in and out of the balcony when the weather isn't ideal.

For us, if we can't afford a balcony, we can't afford the cruise.

Jim

We always get insides or OVs. We had a far forward inside on our Alaskan cruise, which was fine (I'm susceptible to motion, but this was one of our smoothest cruises). We went up on the open deck for the glacier cruising.

BTW, our girl was 7 on that cruise. She just finished her first year of college (with straight As:) ). After our most recent cruise a few years ago, she reminded us that she's planning to go to college so we might want to postpone travel for a while. We actually spent about 30 days away from home between mid-August and last month, taking her to/from college, visiting with her on breaks, etc.

I'm driving MYSELF crazy on this!! :) and posting on the Princess board (rather than the Alaska board) because we are 'settled' on taking our Alaskan cruise with Princess. I'm particularly interested in opinions from other Princess cruisers....about Princess ships.

Opinion #1: Alaska cruises are expensive!! Get the interior cabin. Just get on the ship for the least amount of money, then go up on deck and enjoy Alaska. :)

Then...comes Opinion #2: If you're going to spend the money to go, postpone it a year, save up and get the balcony. If you're going to do this, do it up "right" :)

Then...quickly flows Opinion #3: You'll want to spend all your time up on deck where the Rangers are talking...not to mention that's where the coffee is. You don't want to miss what the Rangers have to say...and who wants to be making 10 trips a day up stairs/elevator to get more coffee....just stay up on deck. If you do that, the balcony cabin (and it's extra cost) goes to waste....

And then the ever-looming Opinion #4: OH MY WORD!!! WE HAVE A CHILD IN COLLEGE!! The only reason we can afford to BREATHE is because air is free!! :eek:

Which, of course, takes me immediately back to opinion #1...which flows into #2...then #3...then #4 and back to 1... You get the idea!!

Opinion # 1 is my choice.

So glad I read this!! I travel solo and have only done a balcony once (on the Anthem's solo cabin). It's already super expensive, so I went with the inside. And as a New Yorker, I have little problem with sound but I cannot sleep with light. And when I cancelled my cruisetour and booked land with globus, I also jumped from the star to the coral-- a decision which seems to be a better choice for great outside viewing areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This year we decided to try Holland America. They still allow smoking on balconies, so it is back to inside cabins for us! I did manage to book under a promo to get the free drinks package, so that will be a fun experience. We will splurge on the Taku Lodge excursion in Juneau with the money we saved.

Hey! Maybe we will see you there. We booked that excursion too! We may not be on the same ship, but both our ships will be there the same day.

-Rose

Hi,

I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a Lido balcony on my Alaska cruise. As others have mentioned, you can hear the naturalist on the TV and pop in to get warm, use the bathroom, etc. I spent at good part of every single day on my balcony, watching the scenery, using the binolculars, and reading. I did go up on the main deck a few times for glaciers, etc., but found that the crowds were overwhelming and it was hard to get to the rail to see anything. What really made it great for me is that I love photography, and on the balcony i was not being bumped and jostled by others trying to take pictures or see the whales. I have some great shots and wonderful memories of a lovely, peaceful time in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Only you can decide what setting is best for you and your family - whatever you decide this will be an amazing trip and I envy you! Enjoy!

I prefer natural light and air in the cabin. We rarely SIT out there but do go in and out for various reasons/ check our weather/ going in and out of port...

In Alaska, I agree with the above poster. We prefer not being up among the crowds....the scenery invokes a "spiritual" component and the masses often are talking, taking selfies, et al......ruins it all for me......

In the balcony, we turned on TV for naturalist, went in and out, et al. I also was on Deck 7/Prominade which was less crowded & covered if needed.

Booking the first cruise in season gives best prices. + lovely snow on mts.

Hey! Maybe we will see you there. We booked that excursion too! We may not be on the same ship, but both our ships will be there the same day.

-Rose

Our ships leave Seattle on the same day too. I'll wave from the Lido deck. :D

I was on the Crown to Alaska last year. I really missed having a covered pool, since it rained the whole week.

We had a balcony last year on the Coral princess and did get some use out of it mostly taking pictures going in and out of some ports. But I don't think it is essential. On our two scenic crushing days ...Hubbard Glacier day and Glacier Bay day, we spent more time on the open area at the back of Caribe deck. It was much less windy and there were loungers to sit and you could hear the naturalists and have great views.

We tried an inside on a 7 -day Alaska cruise, for the price, and to experience inside. After that, the only time we did inside was for a four day cruise to Mexico, because we got such an extremely inexpensive deal. I would never do longer than three or four day cruise inside, if ever again. Just personal opinion. And our stage in life.

Typically, we do a balcony. On our Norway soujourn up the coast, we booked ocean view since we thought it would be cold and we wouldn't use the balcony. The upgrade fairy shined its light on us and we had a balcony on Caribe deck of the Crown. We wound up spending a LOT of time on the balcony and were so happy to be sailing by the thousands of waterfalls. I was constantly out there taking pictures, etc. On a more expensive line, for the difference in price I might choose deluxe ocean view to save $ (to be able to cruise more, of course). It boils down to whatever works for you at that particular time. I agree with the sentiment to just go -- inside if necessary and only use your room to sleep.

On another cruise to Mexico, on HAL, we were also upgraded to balcony from OV. For an upcoming cruise in the Med, we booked OV, to save $ since we will be on an extended trip in Europe. I am sure OV will be fine, as it is a port intensive trip. And who knows, perhaps the upgrade fairy will call again. If not, it is ok too. Choose the least category you think you will be happy with. If it means putting money toward the college education, then by all means do that. We did that and our children are self sufficient. What goes around comes around.

I vote go inside if that fits your budget. Don't wait another year. I sailed Alaska inside my first trip and never regretted it. I spent most of my time up on the decks anyway. Much better panoramic viewing on the open decks. Spend any extra budget on excursions!

Sometimes their are inside or obstructed view cabins that are close in price... Then iI would chose the ov just for the daylight in the cabin.

Go! Alaska is AMAZING.❄🚢

A balcony like we always do, fresh air and privacy are important to us. Would only book an ocean view if no balcony available for any cruise. We did spend time on our balcony in Alaska. When you go to Alaska you take jackets and enjoy yourself.