Airfare to san juan

cruisecriticmonster

We are cruising on the Jewel in February 2017. It is Presidents week and school vacation on Long Island. I have been watching Delta and American fares. Have been between $450 and 800 pp/RT. I decided to wait for Jet Blue to open up February. The latest fare release only went to a week prior to our cruise. So I priced our trip, only 2 weeks earlier with the result of $460 pp RT. For giggles and grins, I went to air2sea and was able to book a round trip JFK to SJU on Delta for $424 pp RT. Long story short, you might want to check air2sea.

I also was able to get two nights at the Renaissance La Concha for Marriott points. I'm pleased but agree that San Juan for a cruise is not a cheap date.

We're flying direct to san juan from Philly. It was about $560pp. We booked nearly 9 months ahead of time, idk why. My dad was not willing to do a layover, which would have saved $$ but we would have lost a lot of time.

Try using the Hopper app, it predicts when airfare will be the cheapest. I also heard that booking on Tuesday afternoons is when plane tix are cheapest.

Wait for Southwest to release their prices for that time period...they're typically always far more reasonable than Delta, American, or United. We flew into SJU last year for our Adventure sailing, and the cost was reasonable; not to mention, free checked baggage! ;)

Ditto to that Gary!! We are booked again on Serenade this February. Once our

"fur faced" children pass into kitty cat heaven, we will do like many others on board

and enjoy the B2B. The 10 night is different itinerary than the 11 night, which gives

you a lot of port of call choices in 21 days. :)

Just don't like that scary drive down there in that traffic. At least you are closer than

we are. ;)

We are doing a B2B on 1/2 & 1/13/17 - different ports and several sea days which we enjoy. Price wise it is a good deal for us even without considering flights and hotels.

We are sailing on Adventure of the Seas April 8th of 2017...I am pricing airfare right now and getting sick to my stomach because of the prices that I am seeing from Delta...American...United...Sun Country (local airline)...all pretty much between 650 and 700 per person from Minneapolis to san Juan...yuck...anyone have any feedback on when these prices MAY get some what better...thanks in advance...I priced something last night at 8pm...and this morning it went up by 105.00 per person...REALLY...:eek:

It will go down. Try to be patient in your purchase.

Wait for Southwest to release their prices for that time period...they're typically always far more reasonable than Delta, American, or United. We flew into SJU last year for our Adventure sailing, and the cost was reasonable; not to mention, free checked baggage! ;)

NYC To San Juan on southwest is price reasonable just not necessarily time reasonable. I went one-way choice air (when I booked) $166 from JFK the Friday evening that started the spring break week in New York. Delta. Very nice. Bag fee, no seat assignment fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The last time we flew into San Juan it was also on Jet Blue. Non stop Orlando to

San Juan, into their nice new terminal (huge improvement over the main terminal)

and price was very cheap at the time. We would use them again should we fly

down there. Great service!

We have used both JB and SWA to San Juan through FLL. I like the 2 free bags on SWA and have used both one-way depending on the schedule and price. I have found the flight over is much less than the return flight. I guess that they figure once they get you there - you have to come back and zap they got you!!!!

Orlando has got to be closer for you than FLL. I wished that there were direct flights from PBI which is only an hours drive for me.

DW and I went through this nightmare this past March, STL R/T to SJU. I was freaking out and almost cancelled the cruise because of air fare. It was around $1800 total for both of us. Two years earlier we did it for a little over $600. I looked at travel sites daily and my preference is for SWA. They did come through with lower prices just under $1000 for the both of us. Though more than I wanted to pay, I was able to capture 3 price drops and get credit towards a future flight. I just used that credit for a STL to HOU (Hobby) flight in Nov. With the current SWA sale, I was able to get 2 tickets with my credit for under $11. We fly out of SJU again in Apr 2017 so I'll be watching the site like a hawk to get the best deal. Once retired, I'll do as Gary suggested, go out of Florida on a 10-11 day cruise on the Southern route.

Heck - once retired, come on down and retire in Florida. There is still room and 4 ports to cruise from!!!!!!

It's all about the timing...for me it worked out great. I booked my cruise air with AA in September 2015 for my B2B cruise on Adventure for May 2016 I got first class air for the two of us for approx $1400.00...great flight times..LAX-SJU via DFW on the outbound and SJU-LAX via MIA for the return....My advice is keep watching and don't give up.

Heck - once retired, come on down and retire in Florida. There is still room and 4 ports to cruise from!!!!!!

Old retired folks in Florida. Who would have thought? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.😂

Why not have each of you get a Chase Sapphire Visa card for the 50,000 bonus miles plus whatever miles for the required "spend" to qualify for the bonus points? You can combine your points and end up with 100,000+ points, which is worth over $1,000 in airfare or a credit on your card. Chase Sapphire has their own air booking tool, too.

Remember to add one of you to the other's card so you can transfer points to one account.

We've used my husband's Sapphire points for years for airfare, and just got a new card for myself (after cancelling my old one two years ago), and used the 50,000 to help buy air from Europe next year.

Edited by pcur

I also feel that prices to San Juan are way too high. I have travelled to PR many times and have paid between $250 to $300 RT. I just travelled in December and paid $500 because it was for a wedding. :eek: Will not be paying that ever again.

Even though we won't be heading to SJ until 2018 I looked to get an idea on price and schedule from So Calif and we would prefer to go out of our home city vs LAX but they were downright horrible. I tried pricing 1 way LAX to SJ then 1 way SJ to PSP also 1 way each PSP to SJ and back and still off the charts.

April airfares to San Juan have been nightmarish for years. If you can do Southwest I would do it (once they open for April 2017 flights).

United had $171 pp when they first opened up the April flights a month ago. Today they are up to $188.

I was doing the search for airfares for Aug. to San Juan!!! I was really getting upset with the prices. I kept watching Southwest and finally got a decent airfare. $414 per person round trip, not too shabby. Hopefully you'll be lucky to find an airfare that is decent. Good luck!

Carol

Carol,

I don't know about August but United airfares for April were cheaper by a $100.

Edited by Arzeena

I think you are looking way too early. Even if Southwest or JetBlue aren't options for you, once they release their fares other airlines may adjust theirs. I'm sailing Adventure in March and while I'm a little nervous about flight prices I'm not going to panic until SW and JetBlue release theirs.

And neither Southwest or Jet Blue always open with their best fares. For our last cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale Southwests best price occurred one week before the flight. It is always a crap shoot with airline pricing.

I just paid just under $750 for 2 seats. From Newark to San Juan in late January. United non stop on the way there and American 1 stop on the way back.

Paid $171 pp one way, United, Newark to SJU, 9 days ago.

I always consider the flight cost penalty prior to booking SJU cruises. The good news is that you typically get more ports + lower port fees to offset this cost.

RC recently added the Navigator 9 day which does the southern A,B,C + Labadee out of Miami. Good price ($578pp) for April 2018 (one year later).

We gave up on cruising from San Juan - air and hotel prices through the roof. So now to do the Southern Caribbean, we use Fort Lauderdale 10 and 11 night cruises for the Southern routes on Serenade.

Add Navigator to the list, 9 night Southern itinerary out of Miami.