Camera for Alaska cruise - advice?

jmpiterniak

Hello,

Hubby and I are on the Noordam inside passage cruise next year. I'm looking for a small, lightweight camera for digital still and video. Should have a decent zoom. Waterproof is a plus but not necessary. Reasonable price is necessary!!

A friend has a Leica that's fairly small and takes great pictures, but not sure if the zoom is going to be strong enough.

Basically, looking for ideas/recommendations. Many thanks!

There is a board devoted to cameras on CC. I suggest that you post there.

I will tell you that your question is going to be what is a reasonable price to you. There are a number of nice point and shoot cameras that will do what you want but as you start adding features like water proof and zoom you start adding dollars. (Why would you want a water proof camera unless you planned to snorkel with it?)

My camera of choice is a Nikon D3000. It is light weight and you can purchase great lenses for it. I have other Nikons which are more expensive than the D3000, but this little camera is a gem in my book.

I wouldn't worry about a waterproof camera, unless you are going to dive or snorkel. I've been in many rainy climates with my cameras and have never had an issue. Just make sure that if it is raining, you take a cover with you, so that it is not always out in the elements.

You might want to check out B&H Photo Video's used department for really good prices. These cameras are just a couple years old, very gently used, generally by people moving up to a more recent model. I've purchased a couple cameras from them and have been extremely satisfied. My last purchase from them is a Sony Alpha DSLR, and am about ready to buy a newer (still used) one.

Edited by Treven

I bought a Nikon Coolpix L810 a few years ago for our most recent cruise to Alaska. It takes very good photos. Whatever you get, make sure to have time to experiment with it at home taking lots of photos so you get comfortable with the features.

Good tips; will start looking at the Nikons...and B&H sounds like a great place to start. Thanks!

As others have said, check the Digital Photography forum on CC.

Note that Pentax makes several weather resistant DSLR cameras (not for taking underwater, but fine for rain storm shooting - been there, done that). One personal favorite that will definitely be in my bag for Alaska is the K-3 + the 50-135/2.8 lens + the 1.4 telextender. The camera has built-in shake-reduction so that you are more likely to get reasonably sharp images even when not using a tripod, and if you have to up the ISO, it gives decent results up to 6400 if not higher. Two card slots so that you can shot RAW (DNG) files for later detailed processing in your program of choice and jpegs for downloading to and sharing from your tablet or laptop. The K-3 is no longer in production but readily available used.

Also note that the prime location for used camera gear is http://KEH.com in Atlanta. Good stock, good customer relations, excellent reputation for honesty.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Good tips; will start looking at the Nikons...and B&H sounds like a great place to start. Thanks!

I've dealt with B&H for, probably ten years, for audio, computer and cameras. I've always gotten good service from them and have never been disappointed with anything I've gotten from them.

I've dealt with B&H for, probably ten years, for audio, computer and cameras. I've always gotten good service from them and have never been disappointed with anything I've gotten from them.

B&H are my number #1 source for new gear. Roberts in Indiana and Adorama are close seconds. But IMHO nobody can match the stock of used gear that you can find at KEH.

B&H are my number #1 source for new gear. Roberts in Indiana and Adorama are close seconds. But IMHO nobody can match the stock of used gear that you can find at KEH.

Agreed! KEH is #1 in my book. Great service too. A couple of years ago I purchased a "used" Nikon D300, (2) zooms and an SB25 strobe for a little over $900. Equipment was as new, and performs flawlessly.

However, DSLRs really cannot be considered "compact".;)

Well, B&H has a great selection of Sony Cyber-Shot point & shoot cameras; I'm a BIG Sony fan😀. Easy to hold and use. I had one of these before graduating to a DSLR camera.