Shopping in Cozumel

ddbaab53

So, my DH and I have been to Cozumel several times and we have done several thing but not really been downtown. Will be on Carnival Triumph which normally docks at Punta Mayan Pier, (I Think), anyway, is it worth going downtown to do some shopping. Have already done the pier stores several times. How best to get downtown and do you know the cost?

Thanks

Taxi - rates should be posted by the taxi line; cost should be under $10 each way.

Besides shopping (ask my wife, I could care less) there are some good local dining options that you will not find near the pier. Good luck! :)

We usually take the cab to the shopping mall, but do not get really excited about this area.

Yea its a nice complex, but nothing great.

Many of the store shops were of touristy stuff, jewelry, and stuff found by the port.

Safe travels.

My suggestion would be to have the taxi drop you off at Los Cinco Soles downtown (the far end of the main street along the waterfront). There is a smaller version at the pier, but head for the original. I think this is by far the nicest shop in San Miguel. Very nice items (pottery, glassware, silver, clothing, jewelry and more) as opposed to the usual touristy things. Within the store is a courtyard restaurant called Panchos Backyard (also has a smaller version at the pier). A great place for the non-shoppers to sit in the shade with a drink. Also serves a great lunch.

From there we like to walk back (toward the ship) a couple of blocks to the main square. The park is surrounded by restaurants, sidewalk cafes and a ton of shops on several side streets. My husband usually finds a nice bench under the trees to enjoy his cuban while I check out the shops.

Enjoy!

We always make it a point to go downtown even if it's for an hour or two. Love walking around the little streets off the town square. Have amazing HUGE really fun flavors of margaritas at Wet Wendys. The shops near there are also quite unique. One in particular where the artist paints on feathers is pretty cool. Good prices and fun haggling.

If you are lucky and your ship docks at Punta Langosta you are in town. If you are at Puerto Maya or International Pier, you will need a taxi (you can walk, but it's a bit of a hike...and hot) and the taxis are cheap and plentiful. You can see the town from the top deck of your ship, so take a look and see if you want to make the walk. Sometimes we taxi both ways, and sometimes we walk one direction (depending on our time).

Definitely a friendly and easy to navigate town/area.

YES.... go downtown, but make sure you walk 2 blocks in from the ocean, those are the stores owned by locals. Get ready to negotiate on prices, and have fun. The people of Cozumel are warm and loving and happy.

• 1 month later...
We always make it a point to go downtown even if it's for an hour or two. Love walking around the little streets off the town square.....Definitely a friendly and easy to navigate town/area.

Hi, do you know about what time in the morning the shops near the downtown plaza open for business? We are going to be in Coz from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., and really wanted to do shopping first, then grab a taxi for "around the island" tour. I know a lot of them depend on cruisers for a big portion of their business, so would hope they operate somewhat according to schedule of ships in port.

But realize that might be too early for most cruisers to shop. Not me! I want to get some Christmas shopping done, then head out to see the island.

TIA for any info on shops' hours. :)

Hi, do you know about what time in the morning the shops near the downtown plaza open for business? We are going to be in Coz from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., and really wanted to do shopping first, then grab a taxi for "around the island" tour. I know a lot of them depend on cruisers for a big portion of their business, so would hope they operate somewhat according to schedule of ships in port.

But realize that might be too early for most cruisers to shop. Not me! I want to get some Christmas shopping done, then head out to see the island.

TIA for any info on shops' hours. :)

Our last cruise we arrived before any of the stores opened, which was annoying to say the least. We ended up sitting in the square for an hour waiting. Not Cozumel's faulty, just annoying since we could have stayed on the ship another hour or two.

It all depends what your Ship Time is.... Cozumel is on Eastern time zone to accomodate the cruise ships from Florida (where most of them come from), but they don't observe Daylight savings, so it can be off by an hour depending on time of year. It is honestly a mess, IMHO, and I wish they would go back to Central time zone like the rest of Mexico and most of the western Caribbean.

As I recall, our ship was in around 8am, stores started opening an hour later... and this was during August. As I said, it all depends when YOUR ship arrives. And this is DOWNTOWN. The other ports, Puerto Maya and International pier, stores may open when any ship arrives.

Our last cruise we arrived before any of the stores opened, which was annoying to say the least. We ended up sitting in the square for an hour waiting. Not Cozumel's faulty, just annoying since we could have stayed on the ship another hour or two.

It all depends what your Ship Time is.... Cozumel is on Eastern time zone to accomodate the cruise ships from Florida (where most of them come from), but they don't observe Daylight savings, so it can be off by an hour depending on time of year. It is honestly a mess, IMHO, and I wish they would go back to Central time zone like the rest of Mexico and most of the western Caribbean.

As I recall, our ship was in around 8am, stores started opening an hour later... and this was during August. As I said, it all depends when YOUR ship arrives. And this is DOWNTOWN. The other ports, Puerto Maya and International pier, stores may open when any ship arrives.

Not sure what you mean by the "rest" of Mexico?

http://localtimes.info/North_America/Mexico/

The whole of Quintana Roo changed to staying on EST YEAR round which means in summer ships from Galveston are the same time as Cozumel and Florida ships are one hour ahead. In winter Florida ships are the same time and Galveston is one hour behind.

Of course ship time is always at the discretion of the captain and subject to change.

Sounds like we may be better off doing our tour first, counterclockwise from Puerta Maya where we will dock---that early, maybe it will be cooler for that!---then end up at the downtown market for some shopping in the afternoon. I just know that I tend to want to spend as much time as possible "seeing nature" then end up cutting my shopping time drastically! Not that there's really anything I need--really just like browsing.

Thank you for the info, folks!