Picture this: St Petersburg pickpockets up their game

OlsSalt

Thanks for that info, Sapper. If the (almost) newest ship in the fleet has safe deposit boxes, then I will guess that the boxes were never removed from the older ships.

I use the cabin safe for such things as my wallet, credit cards, passport, foreign money, but there's no room for my jewelry case. The safe is just too small.

I would rather keep the daytime jewelry in my nightstand, but put the "good stuff" somewhere safer. The safe deposit box will work.

Wouldn't it be smarter to leave the "good stuff" at home and only bring the stuff that you can afford to loose. After all, is anyone going to know or care whether you are wearing "good stuff" or "cheap stuff"?

DON

Wouldn't it be smarter to leave the "good stuff" at home and only bring the stuff that you can afford to loose. After all, is anyone going to know or care whether you are wearing "good stuff" or "cheap stuff"?

DON

I suspect that most women with "good stuff" would rather enjoy the opportunity to wear it on the cruise than leave it locked up out of sight at home.

Edited by Fouremco

DON

I'll know. I'll care.

Besides, what's the point in having the good stuff if you don't take it out to play once in a while.

Years ago my house was broken into (two different times) while I was away. I've never been robbed of things I've taken on my trips. The odds seem to be in my favor that I won't lose the things I bring.

I too belong to the Safety Pin school of personal property security - baby diaper size - anyone remember those pre-Pampers? I started doing this simply because I did not want to lose items due to my own carelessness - ergo a long strap pinned to a pocket for my camera.

Then a small flat cloth "wallet" pinned to the inside of my waist band - long safety pin allows easy retrieval when I need to use the small amount of cash or credit cards I will carry.

Plus when you get your passport you can also apply for a US photo ID card - does not work exactly like a passport except for Canada and Mexico entries I believe. But the US photo ID will certainly "work" if one needs to validate they area US citizen in case of a lost passport.

Hardest thing I find for travel are women's clothes with enough pocket to make all this work. Slowly converting travel clothes to Scottevest items and cargo pants when I can find them.

Men have it easy, they get lots of good pocket clothing items to choose from. Women, not so much nor particularly flattering or stylish if they do exist. Any hints for this pocketless dilemma?

If you sew, there are a number of options.

I really dislike retrofitting garments, but pockets on my jeans were not deep enough. I created new pocket bags that go to mid thigh. I did it by adding a third layer with a zipper onto the existing short bag. The zipper is inside the pocket. It make me use two hands to unzip. Valuables go into the deep inner bag. If I use the original pocket at all it is for Kleenex, a few bucks or other non-valuable item. Whatever goes "inside" is small enough to not cause "outlining" I the fit of my pants.

I also made my own version of a "Scot" vest. It has piped princess seams (with hidden pockets in the seams. Pockets fit certain items that dont cause bulges, and the zippers are covered by the piping). I added width to the front pieces so I can tuck me DSLR inside, under my arm, cross body strap inside the vest) and zip up the vest if I want. It isn't perfect, but it hardens the target. Inside pockets fit glasses, small camera, pens, passport, skinny wallet, etc.) They are closed with zippers or Velcro. The one problem is remembering where I put something, and how to get to the pocket.

Just a few ideas.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
iPhone accident. Spell check doesn't.

If you sew, there are a number of options.

I really dislike retrofitting garments, but pockets on my jeans were not deep enough. I created new pocket bags that go to mid thigh. I did it by adding a third layer with a zipper onto the existing short bag. The zipper is inside the pocket. It make me use two hands to unzip. Valuables go into the deep inner bag. If I use the original pocket at all it is for Kleenex, a few bucks or other non-valuable item. Whatever goes "inside" is small enough to not cause "outlining" I the fit of my pants.

I also made my own version of a "Scot" vest. It has piped princess seams (with hidden pockets in the seams. Pockets fit certain items that dont cause bulges, and the zippers are covered by the piping). I added width to the front pieces so I can tuck me DSLR inside, under my arm, cross body strap inside the vest) and zip up the vest if I want. It isn't perfect, but it hardens the target. Inside pockets fit glasses, small camera, pens, passport, skinny wallet, etc.) They are closed with zippers or Velcro. The one problem is remembering where I put something, and how to get to the pocket.

Just a few ideas.

Great ideas. Thanks for passing these on. I have found pockets getting shallower and shallower too. But you point out, no reason to passively accept this short-changing any longer. Even if one does not "sew" your pocket extension idea can be adapted to even a cruder hand stitching version since it will never show on the outside.

Edited by OlsSalt

I suspect that most women with "good stuff" would rather enjoy the opportunity to wear it on the cruise than leave it locked up out of sight at home.

I'll know. I'll care.

Besides, what's the point in having the good stuff if you don't take it out to play once in a while.

Years ago my house was broken into (two different times) while I was away. I've never been robbed of things I've taken on my trips. The odds seem to be in my favor that I won't lose the things I bring.

With the exception of having our house robbed while we have been away my wife would agree totally with Ruth and Fouremco. Where better to wear nice jewelry than on a cruise. She doesn't wear her better jewelry off the ship and in fact will leave her engagement and wedding band most of the time and wear just a simple gold band.

We have travelled in st Petersburg and Barcelona few times and were warned re the gangs. Many on our ship lost passports and backpacks in Barcelona along with jewelry when the pigeons messed on them, supposedly.

We always have a throwaway wallet with a small amount of cash for the day and the rest safely in money belts under our clothes. I too avoid shoulder bags as I have heard you can be dragged by motorcycles grabbing the bag.

I leave my good jewelry at home.

My husband was pick pocketed in a large elevator where the cruise buses park in Taormina, Sicily. But they only got his throwaway. He noticed two people that didn't seem to fit. He heard them open the Velcro on his cargo pants and grabbed his arm but already he had passed the throwaway to his accomplice. My husband wouldn't let him go so in all the kerfuffle the other one dropped his wallet and they took off. They know you have to go and get on the bus. And I am sure a number of people don't even notice it until too late. They are like good fishing holes! I learned long ago that women have a very safe spot to carry cash on one side and credit on the other in their bras, lol!

We xerox copies of our passports and carry them instead of the real thing, which we leave behind in a safe. As I understand it, we will need our actual passports to get into St. Petersburg so will need a different strategy there.

RFID protection is also a must! My crossbody bag has this protection built in as does a small card case where I carry my credit cards and anything else with a chip. But I will also leave credit cards back in the safe. Along with any large sums of money. Better to lose a small amount of cash on an excursion than your credit cards if it comes to that!

I plan on continuing to wear my crossbody bag, positioned where I have it in front when I can keep a hand on it at all times. Also, it is best to keep those with zipper compartments on the outside of the bag to keep it next to your body rather then facing out. Mine has several on one side of the bag and but one on the other side which I can leave empty and thus leave flat. I also have a number of tanks that I can put the bag against with a lightweight cardigan on top to make it harder to cut the strap or to grab it to drag me along. There are of course those which have metal cords woven into the straps which make them very difficult to cut.

I also leave the good stuff at home, although I have some very nice fashion jewelry that I would hate to lose. But those will not leave the ship on me! Diamond wedding set is left at home replaced with a simple gold band. I also have a very cheap watch with a leather buckle strap I bought specifically for travel. Sunglasses with designer logos on them can also be a tip off that you have money along with other conspicuous designer logos. I get my plain black sunglasses at Rite-Aid!

:D

The major diversionary tactic on the Spanish Steps in Rome is playing children. They'll run around on the steps and "accidentally" bump into people. They're fully trained by their parents/handlers and will pick a pocket or get into a purse in a heartbeat. We sat at a small outdoor restaurant at the top of the Stairs two years ago and watched them work. Our waiter actually pointed them out and explained how they work. The restaurant had called the police and indeed they showed up and ran the kids off but the waiter said typically the kids would be back as soon as the police left. Apparently the police not only have trouble catching the kids because they're so fast but also really don't want to arrest kids and the parents/handlers are not directly involved so hard to charge them.

This has been around for many years. 1980 Paris at the Louvre train station, my 5 year old daughter was with me and 3 year old with dad. Getting on train (metro/city train) and a group of children grabbed my daughter's hands like ring around the rosy and danced her right around. As I reached for DD, an adult behind me grabbed my wallet out of purse (it WAS zipped and cross body). Then daughter was danced onto the train and I was given a good push onto the train and the door slid shut and on the way to next metro stop! Did I know what happened YES! Was it faster and smoother than a greased streak of lightening YES. Reported it and at least not laughed at. I still marvel at the absolute perfection of that routine and wondered how many times it had been and would be performed.

We are heading to France for 2 weeks in the chateaus of Loire Valley before a cruise from Rotterdam to Boston. I wonder with the huge amounts of security and cameras and police on streets in Paris, if the pick pockets and other thieves have moved to another area -- like an hour away at the big castles and car parks etc. We will also be in Lille France on the night of the European World cup semi finals (the stadium for the game about 3 miles away from hotel). I don't like to wear the travel vest but valuables scattered over 12 different pockets with different closures might bring some challenge to the thieves. My problem is it is a challenge to me -- I can't find NOTHING in any pocket.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

We found "fishing vests" in a cotton and nylon material at Bass Pro Shops. Less than $25 several years ago. About 10 pockets including one straight across the back (big enough for fish or for folded rain coat). Large pocket that zips from inside the vest is where IPhone 6 + goes and also my small point and shoot camera on a lanyard around my neck. I can slip it in and out almost as quickly as having it hanging in front. Passport goes in interior pocket on left. Cash scattered around - mostly in breast pocket with snap and zipper closure. Scatter credit cards also. Only problem is that I am forever looking for stuff because I can't remember which pocket something is in. No purse at all with this vest. Good for airport as you just fold it up and toss it in a bin for x-ray. and in seat everything is right at fingertips -- can't get away from you. Worn all over the world. Actually not hot as it might look. My is a light grey and hubby's is a reddish brown. Considering some of the travel vests from specialty stores start at $135 + dollars.

I laughed at an OP further up who said ladies have built in hiding place. My mother-in-law called this "bosom money" and folded hundred dollar bill into a small little cloth pocket pinned to her bra. I taught my granddaughter this trick and she was embarrassed but glad for the $20. (lasted the whole trip because she did not figure out how to slip it out to spend it :p) I have a very soft cloth pocket on long string attached to both sides "neck bank". I attach to my bra strap with long string (pull through loop so knotted on) and then I tuck the soft pocket flat against my side under the band of my bra -- passport and large bills but not too much bulk--VERY secure. In fact if someone gets my money from there the money is the least of the worries!!:eek: Granddaughter sticks her money in her sock. Thieves are clever but so are we!

I would have trouble remembering where I put things as well! My crossbody has two interior zippered pockets which will give an additional obstacle. I do remember what I put in those as they are in my regular handbags as well. But my strategy while in port is to carry very little off the ship. Even when we land travel -which we have done extensively and which is our usual mode- neither of us carries very much when we go out. My crossbody is big enough to also hold a lightweight rain garment, and I got a larger one for this Baltic cruise.

I wonder if wearing on a lanyard around the neck an ear-blasting police-type whistle would be a deterrent? Of course that would give a would-be thug something to grab onto. Or if concealed, would be easy enough to quickly pull out and use?

Any of these would give me pause! http://www.abrivosports.com/index.html#Safety

Edited by Neferteria
Additional information

I was on this cruise as well. I had heard there was another pickpocket event as well.

My Alla tour guide, Alex, warned us constantly. He even insisted we leave all valuables in the locked bus at one stop. He also reminded us when the Hermitage became open for general patrons to be additionally careful.

Every time I saw a neon HAL sticker on a fellow passenger, I cringed at the target that they become. I also cringed when I saw neon stickers on the cobble stones of the Baltic three times.

If I go on a HAL excursion again, I will either not wear a sticker or wear it concealed. I think a tour guide should be professional enough to recognize those on their tour without it. I think Alex spoiled me for a HAL excursion in the future, though.

Be careful folks!

I must be the exception. When off the ship, all I bring is a copy of our passports, with important phone numbers on the back. Maybe, $5 or the equivalent currency for a drink. NO watch or jewelry, and clothing without logos or labels. Ship card in the other front pocket.

Great ideas. Thanks for passing these on. I have found pockets getting shallower and shallower too. But you point out, no reason to passively accept this short-changing any longer. Even if one does not "sew" your pocket extension idea can be adapted to even a cruder hand stitching version since it will never show on the outside.

I think the shallow ("why bother") bags in the modern pants are a cost cutting measure, much like they did in the Civil War days on the uniform pants. That strip of cloth in back isn't a yoke for fitting: it was to allow for more efficient cutting of the cloth. And that seam saved tons of fabric. (I don't remember the estimates).

PS: the vest works great for the airport and flying. It's much more efficient going through the line, and once onboard, I have what I'm going to entertain myself with in my pockets. No need to unlock my carry on under the seat. That's big when I travel solo.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I wouldn't wear a lanyard. I don't feel comfortable doing so. I stopped doing that years ago when I worked at Juvenile Hall. How about a retractable clip?

I have been using a "wrist coil" bracelet for my ship's card for years. Front Office punches a hole in the card and off I go. Easy on and easy off. https://www.amazon.com/Coil-Bracelet-Keychains-different-colors/dp/B00443T6RC

However, the new touch pad ship cards on the Konigsdam will not allow for this hole punching. Until they change the other ships to this same method, it is worth a try to see if this way of carrying your ship card works for you.

Gotta admit however, I look like the bling look of those who do wear their rhinestone-studded ship card lanyards. Go for it.

Edited by OlsSalt

A friend once remarked that a tour sticker is simply a bulls eye for professional (and amateur) pick pockets. But removing the tour sticker does little good since it is pretty obvious that you are part of a tour group when 20-50 souls are following a guide who is waving a sign. For some reason, folks feel safer when they are part of a large group, but for professional thieves the groups are like being in a candy store.

Hank

A friend once remarked that a tour sticker is simply a bulls eye for professional (and amateur) pick pockets. But removing the tour sticker does little good since it is pretty obvious that you are part of a tour group when 20-50 souls are following a guide who is waving a sign. For some reason, folks feel safer when they are part of a large group, but for professional thieves the groups are like being in a candy store.

Hank

Good point.

Maybe we should have official shirts made for our RollCall: CC Kung fu Studio