Removed from ship in bali for flicking cigarette o/board

The fact that he flicked his cigarette "without thinking" suggests he's in the habit of flicking cigarette butts. This does not impress me. I'm a dispatcher for the fire brigade, and we have had plenty of fires - including very serious ones - started by flicked cigarette butts.

You are so right!

Flicking a cigarette butt, at the best of times, is littering and downright grubby. Flicking a cigarette butt anywhere that could cause damage or loss of life is reprehensible!

If you do the wrong thing, chances are that you will get caught eventually, and that's exactly what happened!

Edited by mum and son

The Daily Mail story is told exclusively from the daughter's perspective. Let me translate: "Evil, draconian cruise line ruined my sick father's dream vacation over a silly little thing. They caused his caregiver wife enormous worry. And if I miscarry this baby over all the emotional stress they will be responsible!"

For a passenger to be put off a ship there has to be a lot more to the story than is being told to the press. And how is it that a competent man in his 50s is not managing his own medications? Even children with diabetes competently manage their insulin and glucose monitoring.

Earlier there was another story of a "pensioner" being put off a P&O ship allegedly over a crew member doing balcony paint touch-ups getting paint on his clothes. The story, told only from the family's viewpoint, repeatedly referred to him as a "pensioner".

Definitely agree.

As for the woman, the only one causing more stress (in her pregnancy) now is herself.:(

Does anyone else take exception to the fact his age is being considered a factor here? Pushing 90 or 100 yes, there would be cause for her to use that angle. Pushing 60 (or 58 depending on the part you read) is hardly senile!

Does anyone else take exception to the fact his age is being considered a factor here? Pushing 90 or 100 yes, there would be cause for her to use that angle. Pushing 60 (or 58 depending on the part you read) is hardly senile!

You can develop dementia in your 30s.

But I see no reason that age has anything to do with it. Now if he does have dementia even early stages the family should have been watching more closely.

It's laughable, and one of the reasons I find it hard to believe the story as it is presented.

Given the percentage of over-60s on most of the cruises I've been in, ourselves included, he'd probably be one of the young-uns on that cruise. :D

Although another way to look at it is that he is old enough to know better. ;)

My instinct tells me there is more to this story than just what the daughter is saying.

I think we can pretty much guarantee that ;)

The "journalist" has done a great job of investigating it to reveal the real story - real Pulitzer prize winning stuff :rolleyes:

He did the crime so he pays the fine - see you later baby...

Edited by Bodogbodog

The fact that she doesn't quite know how old he is may mean she is senile.:rolleyes:

It's laughable, and one of the reasons I find it hard to believe the story as it is presented.

Given the percentage of over-60s on most of the cruises I've been in, ourselves included, he'd probably be one of the young-uns on that cruise. :D

Although another way to look at it is that he is old enough to know better. ;)

Agreed, littering is one of these things you learn not to do as a child. He probably doesn't wash his hands before eating as well.:eek:

Edited by MicCanberra

I think we can pretty much guarantee that ;)

The "journalist" has done a great job of investigating it to reveal the real story - real Pulitzer prize winning stuff :rolleyes:

He did the crime so he pays the fine - see you later baby...

I honestly do not know why they think some things are included in a story and others are left out. :(

I wonder if the ship's security people checked CCTV footage of the area he was smoking in and discovered that he had flicked his cigarette on other occasions.

If he had, they all would have been accidental as well I am sure.

Seems fair to me.

Agreed.

Dropping a cigarette is littering, bad for the marine environment if it fell in the ocean, and seriously dangerous if it did not and fell somewhere on the ship.

Obviously he drops his cigarette butts to the ground in his daily life (gross), about time he realized there are consequences for his actions.

Pretty sure that in every contract, there's a clause stating you can be removed from the ship at any time for any reason with no recourse?

Due to the public relations and brand name of the cruise line, they will allow for some leniency on their rules but if serious enough they will eject anyone off the ship at the next port.

It looks like the same article has just been picked up, presumably from whoever published the original story. The media loves that sort of story. There is no new information about the issue, just the same-old same-old. :rolleyes:

Also, flicking a butt into the air could land in someone's eye below, or anything. It's terribly unsafe. Smokers should know, the butts are not biodegradable either. Very bad for the environment and wildlife on sea or land.

The story is being picked up by other media now..

Poor man, poor daughter, wicked P&O for doing such a darstardly thing..:mad:

just what journos love.. :D

The daughter has obviously been very busy.:eek:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=11659737

Well I hope people at least learn from the article that littering on a ship (anything or anywhere, really) is bad and can carry consequences that may not be favourable for the passenger.

Edited by MicCanberra

Just on a side note - have others noticed how few people seem to smoke these days? I know that there are still a lot who do - but in the two crowds that I mix with (younger fitness freaks/runners) and older motorhomers/caravanners, there are almost none! It is SO NICE these days to be able to go to a club or hotel and not coming home smelling like an ash tray!! :)

I think its just cheap journalism these days to pick up pre written stories from other sources and not necessarily an interest in the topic. People who cruise know the risks of fire and dislike slobby manners.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think its just cheap journalism these days to pick up pre written stories from other sources and not necessarily an interest in the topic. People who cruise know the risks of fire and dislike slobby manners.

The media seems to positively salivate over every possible opportunity to show cruise lines in a bad light, without having any knowledge about cruising themselves.

There was an very annoying article in the Sun Herald travel section yesterday "How to avoid paying tips on cruises" quoting Martin Field from WineTalk @ Noosa 101.3 FM who stated "that crew they've talked to on various cruises say they sign on for an agreed salary and don't receive any extra income from the compulsory gratuity charges paid by passengers." :mad: :mad: :mad: The article did mention that the Aussie-cruise lines had abolished tips however. But with "advice" like that published in national newspapers no wonder Aussies get a bad reputation for removing the daily gratuities.