Requested a PCC 4 days ago... Nothing.

creativepart

I used an online form at HAL to request a PCC to contact me last Thursday. I kind of expected to hear back really fast because, you know, sales. But I've not heard a word.

Any ideas? I prefer email to phone calls. I want to book before July 1st to get a couple of the specials going right now.

I used an online form at HAL to request a PCC to contact me last Thursday. I kind of expected to hear back really fast because, you know, sales. But I've not heard a word.

Any ideas? I prefer email to phone calls. I want to book before July 1st to get a couple of the specials going right now.

I have a name and number of our PCC if you wish let me know, she is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had two calls from a consultant over the last 20 years introducing themselves and then nothing. Thinking the discounts come better through a. TA or big discount web sites

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"Requested a PCC 4 days ago....Nothing!" Sounds like it is your lucky day. Why would you want to deal with a PCC and pay more for your cruise? Deal with a decent cruise agent that cannot only give you a better deal (price wise) but also advise you on options (like other cruise lines) that a PCC will not discuss.

Once upon a time we asked our PCC (who called us one time too many) why we would want to book through her...when we could save thousands of dollars booking the same cabin elsewhere? Her answer was, "book with me and I will transfer the booking to the agency." Of course this means I lose some leverage with cruise agencies (we currently deal with 4 agencies) since your maximum leverage only exists prior to booking.

Hank

Did the same thing and also heard nothing.

I started a "chat" with Holland today, here's the transcript:

[Holland] Welcome to Holland America Line. Chat service is available in English only. Please hold while we connect you to the next available agent...

[Holland] Hello, how can I assist you today?

[RM275] How does one get a Personal Cruise Consultant?

[Holland] You would want to contact our Consumer Programs department at (800) 355-3017 and push option "2" to be connected to one. From there, you would give your specific criteria (destination of interest, preferred category, Mariner number if you have one), and a profile will be created for you and assigned to a PCC.

[RM275] Thank you so much. Are Customer Programs working today or should I wait until Monday?

[Holland] They are open on Saturdays from 07:30 am - 04:00 pm Pacific time, and on Sunday from 08:00 am - 04:30 pm, Pacific. Right now it is 02:25 pm PST.

[RM275] Thank you so very much. You've answered all my question. Goodbye.

I intend to call tomorrow.

The only reason I can see to use a PCC is this: When we booked on Westerdam, the consultant showed us all the rooms that were available. When I returned home, the website did not show half the rooms that the consultant showed us. BTW, the consultant had access to better rooms.

If I do use a PCC, I will book through the PCC and transfer to a TA who provides a 10-15% discount.

Once upon a time we asked our PCC (who called us one time too many) why we would want to book through her...when we could save thousands of dollars booking the same cabin elsewhere? Her answer was, "book with me and I will transfer the booking to the agency." Of course this means I lose some leverage with cruise agencies (we currently deal with 4 agencies) since your maximum leverage only exists prior to booking.

Hank

Not sure why you're giving up your 'leverage'. Why not do what I do. I booked on-board. When I returned home, I called my two agencies and told them the booking and asked for a quote. I would think they would have just as much an incentive to make a deal.

"Requested a PCC 4 days ago....Nothing!" Sounds like it is your lucky day. Why would you want to deal with a PCC and pay more for your cruise? Deal with a decent cruise agent that cannot only give you a better deal (price wise) but also advise you on options (like other cruise lines) that a PCC will not discuss.

Hank

Point of information, if you have an allegiance with a PCC book with HAL and get all the Anniversary perks then transfer the booking to any TA you feel you are getting the most additional SBC or Fare Reduction dollars. That way your PCC gets the booking credit in the eyes of HAL even though you have transferred the booking. We have a special bond with our PCC and she has helped us in ways a TA cannot, especially a Warehouse TA as with them you usually don't deal with the same person.

TA's usually offer SBC by using their profit margin which is anywhere from 10-15%.

We like to have the close association.

We have had this discussion with our PCC regarding what a TA can offer vs a HAL PCC and unfortunately their hands are tied by the line. I think HAL's offers of the Anniversary Sale and/or Explore 4 is their attempt to be competitive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last 3 cruises I booked directly through HAL sales. After pricing a cruise and entering my mariner number to do so, I received an email from HAL sales regarding that cruise. Soon after that I started getting emails from "my" PCC. So apparently the act of using my mariner number was enough for auto assignment. I'm not complaining- I've been regularly getting private sale emails from her, and some of them are really good. If you're not wanting to call, you might just log in and check a cruise you want.

Hank

I’m afraid I need to disagree strongly, with Hank on his opinion here. I feel the greatest leverage I have with any TA is a booking in my hand directly with HAL. The TA then knows he does not need to hold my hand to tout the cruise line or the cruise, and he basically needs to do nothing but some paper work to get the commission for the cruise. Therefore the TA is more likely to give me a greater percentage of his commission. This is the exactly the kind of leverage I want.

The reason we want a PCC is to get the Anniversary deals and the $100 credit from Amex. We plan on transferring the reservation to a TA later for more deals.

I'm just surprised that when someone has contacted them and requested a PCC that the company doesn't respond almost immediately. I'm mean come on. I've been spending time on their site. They know that. They've sent a number of "we see you've been looking" emails to me. And, asking me to request a PCC. So, I do and nothing?

Kind of odd if you ask me.

PS. And, I haven't just called them because as I said in my OP, I prefer using email rather than the phone. I like having a copy of what's been said and what's been offered.

Did the same thing and also heard nothing.

I started a "chat" with Holland today, here's the transcript:

[Holland] Welcome to Holland America Line. Chat service is available in English only. Please hold while we connect you to the next available agent...

[Holland] Hello, how can I assist you today?

[RM275] How does one get a Personal Cruise Consultant?

[Holland] You would want to contact our Consumer Programs department at (800) 355-3017 and push option "2" to be connected to one. From there, you would give your specific criteria (destination of interest, preferred category, Mariner number if you have one), and a profile will be created for you and assigned to a PCC.

[RM275] Thank you so much. Are Customer Programs working today or should I wait until Monday?

[Holland] They are open on Saturdays from 07:30 am - 04:00 pm Pacific time, and on Sunday from 08:00 am - 04:30 pm, Pacific. Right now it is 02:25 pm PST.

[RM275] Thank you so very much. You've answered all my question. Goodbye.

I intend to call tomorrow.

The only reason I can see to use a PCC is this: When we booked on Westerdam, the consultant showed us all the rooms that were available. When I returned home, the website did not show half the rooms that the consultant showed us. BTW, the consultant had access to better rooms.

If I do use a PCC, I will book through the PCC and transfer to a TA who provides a 10-15% discount.

Call that number then ext 2 9 3 5 8, leave a message. you won't be sorry. He's off today.

Edited by blizzardboy

I can give you an example (about leverage and special deals) based on a Princess booking (last October). And this example would also apply to HAL (in certain circumstances). We got an e-mail for one of our favorite cruise agencies about a last minute very special price on a Regal Princess repo cruise. We immediately checked the Princess web site to see their pricing...and it was nearly twice the price. A quick call to Princess revealed that the price on the Princess web site was the "best price" from Princess. We then called the cruise agent and chatted her with the "deal" which was a flat fee of $1700 (total cost for 2..including all taxes and fees...for a balcony cabin on a 10 day cruise). The cruise agent asked me to wait on hold a minute...them came back and said Princess had recently sent them a FAX changing the deal. It had now dropped to $1200 (total cost for 2) which meant $60 per passenger day. The agent was then able to sweeten that deal with $400 in OBCs...bringing the real cost down to $40 per passenger day! And this was for one of the highest category balconies on what was Princess's newest ship. Now here is the rub. If we had booked that same cabin with Princess...it would have cost us about $2300! And if we had then transferred the booking to the cruise agent, she could have tacked on a few hundred in OBCs....but WOULD NOT have been able to offer us the $1200 deal....since it was a special promo for the agency for "New Bookings Only!

Transferring bookings does often get you more extras.....but often will not entitle you to special "new booking" promos...made available to only certain agencies.

Hank

I have never, ever understood the 'I have more control with my booking' when I book with the cruise line. Really? What extra control does someone have when booking directly vs. booking through a travel agent?

For us, booking a cruise is a commodity. Lowest price based on the service level we desire, wins our business. Not looking for a best friend, a cup of coffee, or some brochures. It is strictly a business transaction.

We want someone who is cruise line independent and can give us accurate feedback from other customers as well as a heads up on attractive offers from other cruise lines. We have been steered clear of a few 'dogs' in the past thanks to a good TA.

Lots of great advice here.

There is no way in the world I would waste five minutes on a PCC. We've dealt with cruise travel agencies for years, mostly big box ones. We have easily saved tens of thousands of dollars over the years. We have taken lots of cruises on a variety of cruise lines.

Don't let anyone tell you big box TA's give bad service. You will have an assigned agent to work with who wants to keep your business.

Call me a cynic. But I "bond" with DW and other family members I love.....but certainly do not "bond" with a PCC, cruise agency, agent, etc. Even my favorite cruise agencies/agents...are only as good as the last good deal. And if they fail to deliver good service and prices....they quickly become among the forgotten! While all these folks have their own personalities. they are essentially "order takers" working in a competitive industry. Treat the cruise industry like a business (not a personal friend) and you will often get the best deals (sometimes truly amazing). Treat the industry like a friend...and you will likely get a nice screwing with a smile. Handholding and empathy are simply good sales/marketing techniques....but that is all they are...."techniques." The best sales people know how to play their customers like fiddles...without the customer having a clue.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Call me a cynic. But I "bond" with DW and other family members I love.....but certainly do not "bond" with a PCC, cruise agency, agent, etc. While all these folks have their own personalities. they are essentially "order takers" working in a competitive industry. Treat the cruise industry like a business (not a personal friend) and you will often get the best deals (sometimes truly amazing). Treat the industry like a friend...and you will likely get a nice screwing with a smile.

Hank

That's fine but several of us would like to know why you think there is more leverage when you book direct with a travel agency and when you transfer a booking from a cruise line?

I booked an Oosterdam cruise while on board Westerdam. The next week I called my two TA's and asked for a quote for transferring the booking. Both quoted a discount of approximately 10%. What leverage did I give up?

I'm not criticizing you, I'm trying to learn if I made a mistake.

Edited by RocketMan275

I have never, ever understood the 'I have more control with my booking' when I book with the cruise line. Really? What extra control does someone have when booking directly vs. booking through a travel agent?

For us, booking a cruise is a commodity. Lowest price based on the service level we desire, wins our business. Not looking for a best friend, a cup of coffee, or some brochures. It is strictly a business transaction.

We want someone who is cruise line independent and can give us accurate feedback from other customers as well as a heads up on attractive offers from other cruise lines. We have been steered clear of a few 'dogs' in the past thanks to a good TA.

With the wealth of info at our fingertips via the net, experience is about the only thing a TA has to offer. I hate to use the word naive, as you are obviously an experienced cruiser, but if you think TAs are independent and objective, then you've never been in sales and had a vendor incentive program ready to augment your income.

I use my HAL PCC because he's very knowledgeable, responsive, and extremely helpful. He also gets feedback from a large group of repeat clients. I do eventually transfer the booking to a TA for 9-10% in OBC and/or price adjustment. My TA is experienced, knowledgeable and very helpful, but I still do most of our research.

My entire career was in sales and services. Commission sales. I understand incentives, overrides, volume adders, etc.

If I have a dispute with a cruise line, any of them, I would much rather have a TA dealing with that issue on my behalf than an employee of said cruise line. I want to leverage the experience of a TA who deals with many clients, many cruise lines. Not a PCC who is paid to push their specific product out the door. I suspect that the feedback that I have rec'd from our TA on Veendam is very different than the feedback that I would get from a HAL PCC. Same for a few other cruise lines/cruise ships.

Edited by iancal

Call me a cynic. But I "bond" with DW and other family members I love.....but certainly do not "bond" with a PCC, cruise agency, agent, etc. Even my favorite cruise agencies/agents...are only as good as the last good deal. And if they fail to deliver good service and prices....they quickly become among the forgotten! While all these folks have their own personalities. they are essentially "order takers" working in a competitive industry. Treat the cruise industry like a business (not a personal friend) and you will often get the best deals (sometimes truly amazing). Treat the industry like a friend...and you will likely get a nice screwing with a smile. Handholding and empathy are simply good sales/marketing techniques....but that is all they are...."techniques." The best sales people know how to play their customers like fiddles...without the customer having a clue.

Hank

You should capitalize CYNIC! What kind of business were you in where you had no friends as vendors or customers? I would be ashamed and disappointed if my customers didn't think I had enough integrity to be considered a friend.

My entire career was in sales and services. Commission sales. I understand incentives, overrides, volume adders, etc.

If I have a dispute with a cruise line, any of them, I would much rather have a TA dealing with that issue on my behalf than an employee of said cruise line.

Lifer in sales, but no friends as customers?

I'm results oriented. My PCC has handled problems, but he's also advised when a letter direct from me will do more good. I've been fortunate that my pre-cruise issues have been minimal, and issues during our cruises have been resolved aboard, or through correspondence with HAL exec offices at a later date.

Edited by blizzardboy