Requested a PCC 4 days ago... Nothing.

creativepart

Why have a dog when you have to do the barking yourself?

I expect my TA to act on my behalf when there is an issue (and she has), not tell me to deal with the cruise line myself. That is how she/he earns the commission.

Lifer in sales, but no friends as customers?

I'm results oriented. My PCC has handled problems, but he's also advised when a letter direct from me will do more good. I've been fortunate that my pre-cruise issues have been minimal, and issues during our cruises have been resolved aboard, or through correspondence with HAL exec offices at a later date.

I have had very similar experiences with a HAL PCC. While I do not challenge others who can get a better deal with a TA (I just have not found one myself), my PCC has provided me with very good service, better access to upsells (I believe) and has guide me on how to best resolve post cruise issues with HAL (including once getting me quite a nice credit - far more than I ever thought I would get).

In short, there seems to be two sides to the PCC vs TA issue. Since I exclusively cruise on HAL and I like the service I am getting, I will stay with my PCC. But, of course others have different requirements and will chose to use a TA. You just have to chose what works best for you.

You should capitalize CYNIC! What kind of business were you in where you had no friends as vendors or customers? I would be ashamed and disappointed if my customers didn't think I had enough integrity to be considered a friend.

Since I don't know what business you are in, I can't comment on your particular situation. However, I agree with Hiltner. Business contacts, for me, are one thing. Friends are another. And I prefer they don't meet because it interferes with an objective analysis of the business relationship, which doesn't help either the seller or the buyer. It is awkward to stop doing business with a friend.

Transferring bookings does often get you more extras.....but often will not entitle you to special "new booking" promos...made available to only certain agencies.

Hank

Thanks. That explains the issue well. As I take it, sometimes it is better to book directly with the agency and sometimes it really doesn't matter. I guess it pays to 'fish both sides of the boat'.

I do appreciate your taking the time to describe that experience. I do have one more question.

We're not able to do last minute cruises. Do you have any relevant experiences on cruise booked several months in advance?

Since I don't know what business you are in, I can't comment on your particular situation. However, I agree with Hiltner. Business contacts, for me, are one thing. Friends are another. And I prefer they don't meet because it interferes with an objective analysis of the business relationship, which doesn't help either the seller or the buyer. It is awkward to stop doing business with a friend.

I ran an automobile dealership. My sales and service customers were my friends and neighbors. Yes, there were some awkward moments over the years, but they were far outweighed by the great relationships I've made. I never felt business precluded friendships. In fact, I wouldn't have been a success without friends referring me business.

I ran an automobile dealership. My sales and service customers were my friends and neighbors. Yes, there were some awkward moments over the years, but they were far outweighed by the great relationships I've made. I never felt business precluded friendships. In fact, I wouldn't have been a success without friends referring me business.

I can understand that in your particular business. My profession is law, and I am not comfortable representing friends in anything other than a simple matter. I guess because the "product" is not so tangible.

Thanks. That explains the issue well. As I take it, sometimes it is better to book directly with the agency and sometimes it really doesn't matter. I guess it pays to 'fish both sides of the boat'.

I do appreciate your taking the time to describe that experience. I do have one more question.

We're not able to do last minute cruises. Do you have any relevant experiences on cruise booked several months in advance?

You expressed my philosophy better then me "fishing both sides" and we have probably posted hundreds of times over the year ,"shop around for the best deal and compare to the Cruise Line's web site."

As to booking far in advance (we do that when we want a specific popular cruise) you just get the best deal at the time. But then you check the pricing (and promos) about once a week to see if there are any significant changes (we personally do not mess with small changes). If the price drops, or there is a very good promo, you immediately contact (we usually e-mail) your agency and ask them to get your the deal. Some agencies charge a fee to "reprice" a cruise....and if that happened to us we would quickly ask for the manager and say, "its been nice knowing you....bye bye."

Hank

I'm a cruise newbie - so I need to speak to someone to figure out some of the vagaries of the stateroom categories. But I just checked with my warehouse club's cruise pricing and WOW. So, I may get my questions answered by the PCC and just book with the warehouse club.

Anyone know if you can book with a PCC to get the Anniversary deals and then transfer to a warehouse club just like a TA?

I'm also a member of USAA and I hear they have some good deals, as well. So I'll check with them too.

Edited by creativepart

I'm a cruise newbie - so I need to speak to someone to figure out some of the vagaries of the stateroom categories. But I just checked with my warehouse club's cruise pricing and WOW. So, I may get my questions answered by the PCC and just book with the warehouse club.

Anyone know if you can book with a PCC to get the Anniversary deals and then transfer to a warehouse club just like a TA?

I'm also a member of USAA and I hear they have some good deals, as well. So I'll check with them too.

Yes, definitely.

You expressed my philosophy better then me "fishing both sides" and we have probably posted hundreds of times over the year ,"shop around for the best deal and compare to the Cruise Line's web site."

As to booking far in advance (we do that when we want a specific popular cruise) you just get the best deal at the time. But then you check the pricing (and promos) about once a week to see if there are any significant changes (we personally do not mess with small changes). If the price drops, or there is a very good promo, you immediately contact (we usually e-mail) your agency and ask them to get your the deal. Some agencies charge a fee to "reprice" a cruise....and if that happened to us we would quickly ask for the manager and say, "its been nice knowing you....bye bye."

Hank

I'm glad you explained your booking strategy. I was curious to see if there was something that I was missing out on. Looks like we're basically doing the same thing. I also agree with your philosophy on agencies that charge re-booking or cancellation fees. There is simply no reason to deal with those folks.

The two agencies I've been using are very good at honoring price drops. I send them an email when I notice a significant drop and ask if I qualify. Usually, I receive a response, perhaps even a new invoice, that day. These TAs don't proactively notify me of price drops but the cruise lines don't either. Neither one charges any fees for cancellations, re-bookings, or any other changes. Both agencies also honor any cruise line promotions.

In the future, I think I'll simply book through a PCC and transfer the booking once we're near final payment.

Edited by RocketMan275

Yes you can I recently booked two cruises with our PCC and in both cases got the Anniversary Sale, then transferred to our TA and got their SBC, great deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another reason I use my PCC is their advance notice of itineraries about to be released for booking. They get at least 5 days prior notice. If there's a market I'm interested in, he'll email or call the day he gets the info and we nail down the cruise and cabin in the couple days ahead of release. I book with him and then monitor promos and prices personally and with alerts set up on other sites. I don't transfer HAL bookings to my TA until shortly before final payment. Some lines only allow transfers to TAs for 60 days after booking. HAL is easy to work with.

Another reason I use my PCC is their advance notice of itineraries about to be released for booking. They get at least 5 days prior notice. If there's a market I'm interested in, he'll email or call the day he gets the info and we nail down the cruise and cabin in the couple days ahead of release. I book with him and then monitor promos and prices personally and with alerts set up on other sites. I don't transfer HAL bookings to my TA until shortly before final payment. Some lines only allow transfers to TAs for 60 days after booking. HAL is easy to work with.

If not mistaken I believe the TA I used requires a transfer within 14 days of booking with HAL?

If not mistaken I believe the TA I used requires a transfer within 14 days of booking with HAL?

I find it hard to believe a TA would turn down a booking paying a 15% commission at anytime.

I find it hard to believe a TA would turn down a booking paying a 15% commission at anytime.

I was surprised also but when I booked my last two that's what I was told by the agent, go figure? I even called and asked that if I book with HAL could I have the PCC transfer the booking, they said yes within 14 days to be able to get their SBC.

I was surprised also but when I booked my last two that's what I was told by the agent, go figure? I even called and asked that if I book with HAL could I have the PCC transfer the booking, they said yes within 14 days to be able to get their SBC.

Question: Is the TA saying that they would take the booking but would only offer SBC within 14 days of the original booking? IOW, after 14 days they would take the booking but there would be no SBC?

Question: Does SBC stand for "special booking credit"?

Question: Is the TA saying that they would take the booking but would only offer SBC within 14 days of the original booking? IOW, after 14 days they would take the booking but there would be no SBC?

Question: Does SBC stand for "special booking credit"?

They are saying that if I book 1st with HAL the transfer must occur within 14 days to get their SBC.

As noted above, I did leave a message with my PCC which was returned today. This PCC, who cannot be named, had been assigned as my PCC several months ago, an event I had lost track of.

Bottom line:

-I've restored communications with the PCC and will be using her to book cruises in the future.

-She confirmed she does work for commissions but suffers no loss when someone books with her and then transfers the booking to a TA.

-One of the big reasons I will book through her is that she has access to cabins that cannot be seen as available on the website. (She was surprised when I mentioned this but we were able to confirm that this is true by comparing her screen and mine.)

-She also has access to more information about future cruises than a normal TA would have.

Circling back on this topic I started - turns out that my PCC had a 4-day weekend and this is why I didn't hear from her until today.

She answered most if not all of my questions and put a stateroom on hold for us.

Thanks to all that responded.

Circling back on this topic I started - turns out that my PCC had a 4-day weekend and this is why I didn't hear from her until today.

She answered most if not all of my questions and put a stateroom on hold for us.

Thanks to all that responded.

Do all PCC's operate independently from each other? If your personal PCC is away and you call or send an email, it seems you have to wait for them to come back. Not the ideal "client service" scenario.

We have been dealing with a large Florida agency for the past few years who operate a store front agency and have a large internet presence as well. We have had the same agent for years but whenever we call or email her and she is not there (vacation, sick, day off, etc) someone else from the agency immediately gets back to us and takes over until our agent is back. We certainly would not want to miss out on time-sensitive offers or upsell/upgrade offers because our agent is away from the office for a day.

Do all PCC's operate independently from each other? If your personal PCC is away and you call or send an email, it seems you have to wait for them to come back. Not the ideal "client service" scenario.

We have been dealing with a large Florida agency for the past few years who operate a store front agency and have a large internet presence as well. We have had the same agent for years but whenever we call or email her and she is not there (vacation, sick, day off, etc) someone else from the agency immediately gets back to us and takes over until our agent is back. We certainly would not want to miss out on time-sensitive offers or upsell/upgrade offers because our agent is away from the office for a day.

The PCCs have backup people as well. When my PCC is out, his recording refers me to someone else who is covering for him (if I need to talk to someone right away). Normally my issues can wait a day or two, so I just wait for my guy to call back (always prompt).

I have a name and number of our PCC if you wish let me know, she is great!

Hi, not my thread, but I'd love this information. I have an assigned PCC from HAL who is truly awful. Would love to deal with someone else.

The PCCs have backup people as well. When my PCC is out, his recording refers me to someone else who is covering for him (if I need to talk to someone right away). Normally my issues can wait a day or two, so I just wait for my guy to call back (always prompt).

True. We always hear immediately from our PCC's backup person, whether it's by phone or email. We rarely have an urgent request.

Hi, not my thread, but I'd love this information. I have an assigned PCC from HAL who is truly awful. Would love to deal with someone else.

I can offer our PCC, she is great. Interested let me know!