Transportation from Rome to Venice

SailingSal

We are looking at a cruise that leaves from Venice, but would like to fly into Rome and spend 4 or 5 days there, first. We are leaving from New Jersey/New York area and flights are so high that we want to enjoy as much time there as possible. What is the easiest way to travel from Rome to Cruise ship in Venice? I would appreciate your suggestions:)

The absolute easiest might be a helicopter but that's probably not realistic for most of us.

While many people like to be driven door to door, and it's hard to argue with the ease of that plan, the cost is quite prohibitive.

I think the a combination of train travel with luggage handling can be an optimal solution. High speed train travel between Rome and Venice is fast (less than four hours), efficient, and comfortable. It has the benefit of taking you from downtown to downtown, avoiding the commutes to and from airports as well as the time required for security procedures.

The biggest downside to train travel for many of us is dealing with our luggage. This downside can be negated by using a service like Trenitalia's luggage transport. For €20 per bag (for the first bag, the second bag is €15) they will pick up your things at your hotel in Rome and deliver them to your hotel in Venice. If you are headed directly to the ship once you arrive in Venice this service probably won't work as they ask for 24 hours to complete delivery. If this is your situation I'd still ask, you might be able to have them take your big bags the day before you travel so they'll be in Venice when you get there.

More info here: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en/Services/Luggage-transport-services

Edited by euro cruiser

Another person voting for the train.

And, absolutely - you must be able to handle all your luggage yourself! Try to keep luggage to a Maximum of one rolling bag and a backpack-style carryon per person. You have to be able to lift your luggage yourself on/off the train (or have a designated Sherpa in your group who can deadlift up from the ground your 50lb bag onto the train). You have to be able to manage your luggage as you move through the stations to/from your trains, and in Venice, you may have to negotiate the cobblestones and bridges to get to your hotel. You do not want someone to get hurt and mess up their vacation because everyone had too much luggage and it was too heavy for anyone to manage.

Or, rent a minivan and drive yourselves - it's a pretty drive!

I just took the train from Venice (Santa Lucia station) to Rome (Termini) a few days ago after our Seabourn cruise. We bought our tickets online a few months ago and were able to take advantage of a two for one promotion. We exited the port with our luggage, walked to the People Mover, and then walked the remaining distance pulling a 24" bag and carrying a small carry one. The only difficult part was the one bridge you must cross as it is not a smooth surface but rather a series of very shallow steps. If that is daunting there are porters at the People Mover who will haul your luggage on a cart and take it to the station for you. But you still need to lift it up two steps onto the train.

We took the high speed train from Rome (Termini) to Venice (Mestre because thats where our hotel was) and it was great. It was a quick and scenic trip, very comfortable and relatively cheap. There is a food car midtrain if you want food. We were able to see our bag from our seat which was nice also.

I don't understand why people always say train when asked about getting around in Europe. I have sailed out of Venice many times and ALWAYS book my long haul round trip Rome. Rome to Venice is a one hour flight, actually less in real time, the cost is less than $100. I think I usually pay around $75.

Sure you could take the train but to me flying is just so much easier and faster.

I don't understand why people always say train when asked about getting around in Europe. I have sailed out of Venice many times and ALWAYS book my long haul round trip Rome. Rome to Venice is a one hour flight, actually less in real time, the cost is less than $100. I think I usually pay around $75.

Sure you could take the train but to me flying is just so much easier and faster.

If you are going directly point-to-point, then perhaps a flight is easier and faster. Perhaps. (Are you factoring in the amount of time in your layover, and the amount of time getting from the airport into Venice, not to mention that most cruisers will need to check and retrieve luggage?)

But for someone who is looking to spend a few days in Rome and then travel to Venice, here's why I think the train is a better option. First you have to get back to the airport, which is at least a 30-45 minute trip either via a 50 euro taxi ride or a train ride with onload/offload of luggage. Plus the recommended margin of time to arrive at the airport before your flight. Plus the flight itself. Plus getting from airport in Venice to Piazzale Roma.

Most of that hassle is negated by the high speed trains. You are transported from city center to city center, and you only need to arrive a few minutes before your departure. Add to that the fact that travel is much more pleasant on the high speed trains, you have scenery to view and you can get up and move around if you want.

Finally, add to the above the fact that if you book in advance you can usually get a "super economy" fare that is as low as 36 euro for the trip.

To me, it's a great value and really pretty much of a wash on the actual time needed.

Edited by cruisemom42

If you are going directly point-to-point, then perhaps a flight is easier and faster. Perhaps. (Are you factoring in the amount of time in your layover, and the amount of time getting from the airport into Venice, not to mention that most cruisers will need to check and retrieve luggage?)

But for someone who is looking to spend a few days in Rome and then travel to Venice, here's why I think the train is a better option. First you have to get back to the airport, which is at least a 30-45 minute trip either via a 50 euro taxi ride or a train ride with onload/offload of luggage. Plus the recommended margin of time to arrive at the airport before your flight. Plus the flight itself. Plus getting from airport in Venice to Piazzale Roma.

Most of that hassle is negated by the high speed trains. You are transported from city center to city center, and you only need to arrive a few minutes before your departure. Add to that the fact that travel is much more pleasant on the high speed trains, you have scenery to view and you can get up and move around if you want.

Finally, add to the above the fact that if you book in advance you can usually get a "super economy" fare that is as low as 36 euro for the trip.

To me, it's a great value and really pretty much of a wash on the actual time needed.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear I always would spend a couple days in Rome before heading up to Venice so there's no layover involved. I just think flying is much easier faster and more convenient, but many people think like you do and prefer the train.

Another vote for the high speed train from Rome to Venice. It is, IMHO, the most stress free and comfortable way to travel between these cities.

We have always used the train in the past but, just last fall, we flew from Rome (Ciampino) to Venice. It was not pleasant and I will not make the same mistake again!

The taxi from our hotel in Rome to Ciampino was 30 euros and the drive was about 40 minutes (factor in 2 hours, 40 minutes + flight time of 1h, 5m = 2 hours, 45 minutes). It was very crowded at the airport - we found our departure gate and were sitting in the departure lounge when, about 5 minutes prior to boarding, the screen showed that our gate had been moved. We had to rush to locate our new boarding gate through throngs of passengers and there appeared to be not a soul in sight to ask for assistance in finding our gate. Additionally, Ciampino advises you to arrive 2 hours prior to departure for domestic flights and one must be cognizant of inter-European baggage limitations - we had to pay extra for our luggage due to weight.

Upon arrival in Venice, we had to collect our luggage and then take ATVO bus to Piazzale Roma - another hour before arrival to Piazzale Roma (so, travel time was about 3 hours, 45 minutes).

So, all said, the plane was more expensive, much more stressful and took about as long as the high speed train we had used in the past (when you factor in wait time at the airport and time taken to travel to/from city to airport).

The train will take you directly from Rome (only have to arrive a few minutes before your train's departure time) to Venice (train station is located on the Grand Canal right across from Piazzale Roma from where you can take the People Mover to the cruise terminal). The train imposes no baggage weight restrictions, no long security line, no need to arrive early to the airport or wait to retrieve your luggage. It is quite relaxing and enjoyable especially when compared to our recent flight.

Another option, if you prefer not to schlep your luggage from the train station to the people mover, is to depart the train in Mestre (last stop before you cross the Ponte della Libertà into Venice) and then take a taxi directly to your cruise ship.

Edited by dogs4fun

Another vote for the high speed train from Rome to Venice. It is, IMHO, the most stress free and comfortable way to travel between these cities.

We have always used the train in the past but, just last fall, we flew from Rome (Ciampino) to Venice. It was not pleasant and I will not make the same mistake again!

The taxi from our hotel in Rome to Ciampino was 30 euros and the drive was about 40 minutes (factor in 2 hours, 40 minutes + flight time of 1h, 5m = 2 hours, 45 minutes). It was very crowded at the airport - we found our departure gate and were sitting in the departure lounge when, about 5 minutes prior to boarding, the screen showed that our gate had been moved. We had to rush to locate our new boarding gate through throngs of passengers and there appeared to be not a soul in sight to ask for assistance in finding our gate. Additionally, Ciampino advises you to arrive 2 hours prior to domestic flights and one must be cognizant of inter-European baggage limitations - we had to pay extra for our luggage due to weight.

Upon arrival in Venice, we had to collect our luggage and then take ATVO bus to Piazzale Roma - another hour before arrival to Piazzale Roma (so, travel time was about 3 hours, 45 minutes).

So, all said, the plane was more expensive, much more stressful and took about as long as the high speed train we had used in the past (when you factor in wait time at the airport and time taken to travel to/from city to airport).

The train will take you directly from Rome (only have to arrive a few minutes before your train's departure time) to Venice (train station is located on the Grand Canal right across from Piazzale Roma from where you can take the People Mover to the cruise terminal). The train imposes no baggage weight restrictions, no need to arrive early to the airport or wait to retrieve your luggage. It is quite relaxing and enjoyable especially when compared to our recent flight.

Another option, if you prefer not to schlep your luggage from the train station to the people mover, is to depart the train in Mestre (last stop before you cross the Ponte della Libertà into Venice) and then take a taxi directly to your cruise ship.

After seeing how convenient and comfortable the high speed train was on this route when we were there in April, I don't think I personally would ever consider flying. As mentioned the distance/cost to get to the airport and the additional time involved just doesn't seem worth it. It may be a short flight, but when you compare door-to-door time and cost I think the train will win hands down.

I'd rather be on the train, listening to Andrea Bocelli (with my noise-cancelling headphones), watching the Italian countryside go by as I sip my espresso than having to deal with airport security checkpoints and being crammed into an RJ for the flight... the train is so relaxing - I never feel stressed or anxious on the trains!

I've booked my train ride from Rome to Venice (with a stop in Florence!) and I'm looking forward to it. However, I am now contemplating bringing a mid size suitcase with me instead of my full size one. Not that I couldn't lift it, but I don't want too much hassles. So excited for this trip!

I've booked my train ride from Rome to Venice (with a stop in Florence!) and I'm looking forward to it. However, I am now contemplating bringing a mid size suitcase with me instead of my full size one. Not that I couldn't lift it, but I don't want too much hassles. So excited for this trip!

If you are traveling solo and independently, I would try your mid size bag to see if you can pack what you want in there. For me, it is just easier to maneuver around with my bags when they are smaller than the big suitcases I see everyone around me trying to lug. My biggest bag I travel with nowadays is my Osprey Sojourn - it's 25x14x13, so it's not really big. It's a convertible, so if I need to (and I have in a few places) I can shoulder it for carrying. It's size is also train-overhead-friendly. I can lift it in to the overhead at my seat instead of having to put it in the back in the luggage area. If I don't need all that size, I'll take one of my 22" bags.

If you are traveling solo and independently, I would try your mid size bag to see if you can pack what you want in there. For me, it is just easier to maneuver around with my bags when they are smaller than the big suitcases I see everyone around me trying to lug. My biggest bag I travel with nowadays is my Osprey Sojourn - it's 25x14x13, so it's not really big. It's a convertible, so if I need to (and I have in a few places) I can shoulder it for carrying. It's size is also train-overhead-friendly. I can lift it in to the overhead at my seat instead of having to put it in the back in the luggage area. If I don't need all that size, I'll take one of my 22" bags.

I consider a 24-25" bag midsize.

I have a favorite Eagle Creek duffle/suitcase that is just under 25" but it's narrow and works great for negotiating train aisles. Also is very light for lifting up stairs onto the train and/or above seat racks.

Together with a crossbody purse and a SMALL carry-on type bag with a flap that will slip onto the suitcase handle, I am good to go for most European travel. If I am just cruising I may take a slightly larger bag (wider but not taller) as I like to be able to dress up a little more. I can still handle it easily myself when needed...

I'm sorry I wasn't clear I always would spend a couple days in Rome before heading up to Venice so there's no layover involved. I just think flying is much easier faster and more convenient, but many people think like you do and prefer the train.

Actually the train is the most convenient from Rome to Venice

Termini to Santa Lucia is 4 hours

Rome to Fco...Fco to Venice....venice airport to Santa Lucia....6 hours in my book plus crowds hassle delays etc....um no

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
We are planning on taking the train from Rome to Venice this May. Is there a website to buy our tickets in advance ? Also are there different categories of seats?

Go to http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en to purchase. There are both economy and business class seats, and also different ticket categories within each, with different restrictions.

We are planning on taking the train from Rome to Venice this May. Is there a website to buy our tickets in advance ? Also are there different categories of seats?

There are two competing companies on this route, Trenitalia as noted above, and Italotreno (http://www.italotreno.it/en). Both offer the same service on the same tracks using the same stations so choose based on the time you want to travel and the best deal you can get.

There are several different classes of service. The first time I took the train from Rome to Venice I paid for first class and it really wasn't worth it. The seats are marginally bigger and you get one free cup of coffee and some cookies, that was pretty much the difference. On a longer trip I might have cared more about the additional seating room but for a less than four hour trip it was hardly worth the additional cost.

That said, if purchasing your tickets in advance look at all of the fare categories, sometimes there are deals offered that make the premium class services nearly the same price as second class.

If you have control over your day (not arriving via air and transferring to train, for example) it's a good idea to purchase your tickets in advance as you can find significant savings by doing so. Do know, however, that discounted fare tickets have little to no flexibility so if you can't make the train, for whatever reason, the money is lost.

I just checked a random date in May, tickets on Italotreno are between €5 - €10 less than Trenitalia throughout the day at this moment, but that will change based on sales. These prices are half of the walk up fare, for perspective.

Edited by euro cruiser

I used Train line. They have a website in English. They also have an iphone app. They have both trenitalia and the italgo(?) trains. If i recall there was high speed train from rome termini at 10:50, 12:50 and 2:00. To venice santa lucia. The trip took 3 ½ hours. We bought the very cheap, non-refundable 2nd class ticket for 69euro each.

I used Train line. They have a website in English. They also have an iphone app. They have both trenitalia and the italgo(?) trains. If i recall there was high speed train from rome termini at 10:50, 12:50 and 2:00. To venice santa lucia. The trip took 3 ½ hours. We bought the very cheap, non-refundable 2nd class ticket for 69euro each.

Sorry, the quote function isn't working. This is an example of the overcharge you pay for using a third party supplier. The super economy fare for this route is €50 if purchased direct from Trenitalia or €40 on Italotreno.