Planning our first cruise

Krozulo

My wife and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in 2018 and we decided to go on our first cruise! I realize I have lots of time :)

We've decided on April 10, 2018, 15 day round trip to Hawaii from Vancouver. I haven't booked it yet, but I've been reading lots.

My wife really wants an unobstructed oceanview cabin. We'll be travelling with my MIL, and our adult daughter. They aren't picky about rooms and would rather save money so they'll share an inside room. We want the rooms in close proximity.

Based on that criteria, we're looking at the Emerald Deck, E101-E115. Does anyone have any experience with rooms on this end of the ship? I've read that midship is better for less movement, but how bad is the motion on that deck in April? I'm the kind of person who can't go on spinny rides at the amusement park without getting sick, but roller coasters are fine.

Considering I have all this time to book, what kinds of deals does Princess have? What's considered the best deal? Right now there's the Sip n Sail, but it's not worth the price to upgrade to a balcony. Or the Red White & Blue sale with free gratuities (essentially $200 savings) and that sounds better. The $100 deposit is nonrefundable, but if the price goes down before final payment, or if there's a better deal, can I switch to the other deal?

Finally, if you could go on your first cruise again - if it was this 15 day cruise to Hawaii, what would you do different? or again?

My wife and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in 2018 and we decided to go on our first cruise! I realize I have lots of time :)

We've decided on April 10, 2018, 15 day round trip to Hawaii from Vancouver. I haven't booked it yet, but I've been reading lots.

My wife really wants an unobstructed oceanview cabin. We'll be travelling with my MIL, and our adult daughter. They aren't picky about rooms and would rather save money so they'll share an inside room. We want the rooms in close proximity.

Based on that criteria, we're looking at the Emerald Deck, E101-E115. Does anyone have any experience with rooms on this end of the ship? I've read that midship is better for less movement, but how bad is the motion on that deck in April? I'm the kind of person who can't go on spinny rides at the amusement park without getting sick, but roller coasters are fine.

Considering I have all this time to book, what kinds of deals does Princess have? What's considered the best deal? Right now there's the Sip n Sail, but it's not worth the price to upgrade to a balcony. Or the Red White & Blue sale with free gratuities (essentially $200 savings) and that sounds better. The $100 deposit is nonrefundable, but if the price goes down before final payment, or if there's a better deal, can I switch to the other deal?

Finally, if you could go on your first cruise again - if it was this 15 day cruise to Hawaii, what would you do different? or again?

Welcome to Cruise Critic......

What ship?

I am the kind of person who gets sick on ALL kinds of rides and even has issues with the back seat of a car. Small boats, not a good situation...and ships don't bother me at all. OK, there have been some very occasional rough seas where I got a little queasy, but overall, not a problem.

The ships have great stabilizers, and the motion is just not an issue, at least in my 35+ cruises. I guess what I'm saying is that you can't predict how you'll react to the ship's motion until you've experienced it, but overall there is way too much talk about location and motion sickness. Yes, the best location for the least motion is at the center of gravity of the ship, but I've stayed all over various ships. Forward is a little more rough than aft, midship has the least motion but you are talking about small differences.

Have fun!

Star Princess

We have sailed the Star a few times.....

The cabins you mention are in a great location. Next to the most forward cabins 101/102/103/104 etc are doors that go out to the upper promenade deck on both sides of the ship. The first 6 or so OV cabins look out over this deck so there could be people out there but the glass is mirror tinted. Pretty good views and its like having a balcony just walking right outside.

You will have motion!

Check put this link for views from these cabins.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1501475&highlight=renmar

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thanks for the replies! I feel more confident booking those rooms

If I book now and pay the non-refundable, non-transferable deposit under the Red White & Blue sale, if the price goes down or there's a better offer down the road, would I be able to rebook under the new offer?

Welcome to CC,

After booking:

If you should find another deal and decide to rebook, you would loose All perks on the Red, White and Blue sale including the deposit to my understanding.

Good luck with your planning and decision making. It can be difficult at times.

Congratulations on your first cruise. Hopefully you'll get the cruise bug, and will join many of us who can't wait to cruise again as soon as the current cruise is over.

The Hawaii cruises are marvelous, but there is always a chance of rough weather, no matter when you go. If you are prone to motion sickness, a midship or mid aft cabin might be better than forward.

Finally, deal with a good travel agent who will discount the cruise, and discuss your options...red, white and blue vs. sip and sail. Sometimes there is an option to take OBC instead of the free drinks, especially nice for those of us who drink little. Again, a good TA will be able to spell out all of the options.

Congratulations, again.

Stan

I've got a notion you might like the motion of the ocean. But if you don't... you might want to take bonine, ginger pills, pickled ginger with you. They have scopolamine patches available on the ship. - Please remember these are drug patches, don't use more than one at a time.

Other remedies include: Sprite, ginger ale, green apples... getting so drunk you don't know the difference.

Enjoy your cruise.

11 days until it's Andy Time!!!!

Edited by neverbeenhere

Welcome to CC,

After booking:

If you should find another deal and decide to rebook, you would loose All perks on the Red, White and Blue sale including the deposit to my understanding.

Good luck with your planning and decision making. It can be difficult at times.

Good to know that I'd lose my deposit. That means the change in price would have to be $300 or better for it to be worthwhile.

I found some price histories for cruises at that time of year in previous years, and while there are no guarantees, I think I will be better off waiting to book after the red white and blue sale ense so I can take advantage of price drops.

Finally, deal with a good travel agent who will discount the cruise, and discuss your options...red, white and blue vs. sip and sail. Sometimes there is an option to take OBC instead of the free drinks, especially nice for those of us who drink little. Again, a good TA will be able to spell out all of the options.

I already know that the only way the Sip n Sail would work for us would be if we were already planning on getting a Balcony. But we're not, so I've ruled that promotion out.

Is there somewhere online that lists promotions that Princess may have?

EDIT: Or has had in the past?

Edited by Krozulo

I've got a notion you might like the motion of the ocean. But if you don't... you might want to take bonine, ginger pills, pickled ginger with you. They have scopolamine patches available on the ship. - Please remember these are drug patches, don't use more than one at a time.

Other remedies include: Sprite, ginger ale, green apples... getting so drunk you don't know the difference.

Thank you for the remedy suggestions! I only knew of Gravol (in Canada). I would rather try natural remedies like ginger, apples, or booze. :)

You will not be "spinning" on the ship...ever! Up and down, side to side at times...but never spinning!

LOL! I imagine if the ship is spinning, I'll have bigger issues to worry about than feeling nauseated.

The small print for this Sip & Sail says that OBC in lieu of the drink package is $200pp for a 15 day cruise.

Our first cruise with Princess was a 14 day to Hawaii from LA. I did a review on the cruise. It was on the Golden Princess in April.

We had a Caribe balcony. It was usable when we were near the islands, but while on sea days it was a bit chilly.

It was marvelous and my DH and I just love the sea days to relax as we both are still working.

Didn't get sea sick, if anything it was a bit chilly on deck in the evenings on sea days.

Once we got near the islands, it warmed up. Loved watching movies on MUTS in the evening. It was like going to a drive in theatre!

We loved it so much we are doing it again this October to celebrate our 38th anniversary and his birthday.

Once you experience this cruise, you will be hooked for sure!:D

We have done a variation of this cruise three times -- the LA-Hawaii RT. All in late December/early January as the holiday time was the only time we can go on this itinerary with a school kid.

My suggestion to you is to try your sea legs on a shorter (7-day) cruise first. Our Alaskan cruise (Seattle RT) was the smoothest cruise we've been on. My hubby and daughter have no problem with sea motion, but I do. And the Hawaiian cruises will have motion, especially as you'll be crossing the California current. Someone on the CC roll call for the first of my Hawaiian cruises was new to cruising, and I think the fact that she and her husband got sea sick early on colored her impression of cruising.

DH & I love to cruise, when we did the 14nRT from LA, the first 2 days were rough seas headed out. Lucky for us the old-school regular motion sickness product now comes in a 24hr formula, 1 tablet! (not sure if I can mention the brand, begins with D) Worked great for me on this spring's cruise thru the Panama Canal with 80kt winds! I had packed some just in case...Thank Goodness! :D

Welcome to your newest obsession :p, CC, where you will learn EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about a cruise! Be sure to join your Roll Call!

Happy Sailing!

The deposit is fully refundable up until final payment.

Some promotions (such as the Red, White & Blue that the OP is considering) have a nonrefundable, nontransferable deposit which is lost even before final payment.

Deposits without those restrictions are fully refundable until final payment but those are rarely $100 (except for those of us using a FCD) and instead they have a much higher deposit amount.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Although you didn't ask...I too would recommend taking a shorter cruise prior. Being in Vancouver, you have so many options for the shorter repositioning cruises. On Princess, there are four opportunities for the short overnight cruises between Vancouver and Seattle. We are taking a short three day from Vancouver to San Francisco in September. You can usually get these pretty cheap and it will at least give you a feel for "being at sea"...plus, it is an excuse to get away for a night or two!

If I book now and pay the non-refundable, non-transferable deposit under the Red White & Blue sale, if the price goes down or there's a better offer down the road, would I be able to rebook under the new offer?

Good to know that I'd lose my deposit. That means the change in price would have to be $300 or better for it to be worthwhile.

You would not be losing your deposit to take advantage of a later reduction in price. This is because you are not cancelling your cruise and are not transferring to another cruise.

But, depending on promotions that come with the lower price, you could loose promotions that you have when you booked at the higher price.

Some promotions (such as the Red, White & Blue that the OP is considering) have a nonrefundable, nontransferable deposit which is lost even before final payment.

Deposits without those restrictions are fully refundable until final payment but those are rarely $100 (except for those of us using a FCD) and instead they have a much higher deposit amount.

Sorry I thought it was sip and sail. I checked and that one is refundable (Sip and Sail). Too many promotions at once! lol

Sorry I thought it was sip and sail. I checked and that one is refundable (Sip and Sail). Too many promotions at once! lol

No problem & agree that with the overlapping promotions it's challenging to remember the rules for each one. ;)

Although you didn't ask...I too would recommend taking a shorter cruise prior. Being in Vancouver, you have so many options for the shorter repositioning cruises. On Princess, there are four opportunities for the short overnight cruises between Vancouver and Seattle. We are taking a short three day from Vancouver to San Francisco in September. You can usually get these pretty cheap and it will at least give you a feel for "being at sea"...plus, it is an excuse to get away for a night or two!

I strongly agree with this advice.

Most people love cruises.. especially us on a cruise forum - but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Some struggle with the motion. And for reasons that I still don't quite get, I've had 2 groups of friends who.. were downright bored after just a couple days.

A 15 night cruise, with that many sea days is a pretty big investment in terms of costs, time, and days stuck at sea. It's a pretty risky first-cruise IMO. I think a short/easy trip to give it a try is a good idea before jumping into a 15 day cruise.

With all of that said, I would love love love to do that 15 cruise! And if it's your first cruise, the smart-money is on it being an outstanding trip where you and the family will have the time of your life. There's just a chance that it's not your cup of tea :)

I know that the Aloha Spirit program is on the LA & SF cruises to Hawaii and hopefully also from Vancouver. There are many Hawaiian-style activities and some food options which we've enjoyed during our sea days.

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/hawaii-cruises/things-to-do/

The Halau Hula Olana Folkloric Show during the late evening in Honolulu with adult singers & keiki (children) dancers is always enjoyable for us.