Fll to mia

misha1

Hello Cruise Critic Friends...This has been discussed I am sure, but, I wondered if some one could answer a quick question ....the air fare to MIA in March of 2017 is quite Prohibitve. I have some options...fly into FLL and transfer to MIA, or chnage the date of my cruise...which I do not want to do. I know it is spring break and I am going to pay for that. My question is this...how easy is it to find reasonable tranfer to MIA from FLL...and by reasonable, I am looking at a cost of under 100 per person ( there are 5-6 of us)? Thank you in advance for your help

Most shuttle companies will charge $15 per person. There are companies like QLS, Jiffy Jeffs, SAS. Too look at Larry's Limos.

We like QLS. But the others are recommended too.

Check out info on the transfer on the Florida departure board. It's very easy and you can book online and get pickup info then.

Are you arriving day of ? Or needing shuttle to a precruise hotel somewhere?

Shuttles are usually in the $100 range (for 2).....is the airfare THAT much more? Sounds like you'll save about $50 by flying into a different city. I would pay the airfare, and get there faster!

Edited by cb at sea

Hello Cruise Critic Friends...This has been discussed I am sure, but, I wondered if some one could answer a quick question ....the air fare to MIA in March of 2017 is quite Prohibitve. I have some options...fly into FLL and transfer to MIA, or chnage the date of my cruise...which I do not want to do. I know it is spring break and I am going to pay for that. My question is this...how easy is it to find reasonable tranfer to MIA from FLL...and by reasonable, I am looking at a cost of under 100 per person ( there are 5-6 of us)? Thank you in advance for your help

QLS charges $12pp if you have 6 people and they are very good , we have used them many times.

We have been very pleased with GoShuttle. We use their private car service several times, but I think they can also do shuttles.

We were 2 couples flying into FLL and cruising from MIA...I used GO Shuttle and would use them again without hesitation. Cars were clean and on time. Drivers were courteous and fun. We went during Spring Break season, which apparently runs pretty much Feb. to March, and about 3-4 days before we left got a phone call from Celebrity advising that there was also a music festival going in the area of the port and to allow extra time to get to the port. I called Go and they assured me it would not be a problem, and it wasn't. It took about 40 minutes to get to the ship from FLL airport. (We flew in from NY the day before and other couple flew in from NC the day of the cruise). Returning from MIA to FLL was less time because it was Sunday and their was no traffic...think we made it in 30 minutes max. We had a private SUV for of us and it was about $100 each way.

Shuttles are usually in the $100 range (for 2).....is the airfare THAT much more? Sounds like you'll save about $50 by flying into a different city. I would pay the airfare, and get there faster!

If you book a private shuttle, cost can be $100. A shared shuttle will run $15 per person.

Uber runs around $50. But more for XL.

Transfer shuttles are plentiful and easy.

Yes airfare can run a lot different between the two cities. DH and I will pay $360 less to fly into fll and transfer to our downtown Miami hotel.

I often fly to FLL on Southwest when cruising out of the Port of Miami. I always use SAS. Excellent, fast service for only $15 per person.

/QUOTE]

I second the above.

There are many ways to get from FLL to the port of Miami. Expect to pay approximately $15 per person plus a tip. More if you are using a private service.

We prefer to fly to FLL as well vs MIA. For us is it not only cheaper, but we can get direct flights to FLL but not MIA. The overall travel time to MIA is therefore a fair bit longer.

We recently flew into FLL for a cruise departing from MIA. We used Go Airport Shuttle.

Not overly impressed. Was quite a milk run and we paid $75 total for the 2 of us to get to our hotel in MIA. Our return trip to FLL was also with Go Airport and was better. Much more direct and we only paid $48 total. Not sure how they calculate the fares.

Uber and Lyft have changed everything :). In many cases they are no more expensive (and often less costly) then many shuttle services...and you can simply call for your own car when you are near ready to go.

Hank

We also are cruising out of Miami in March from NY! The airline prices in to Miami are making us think about driving. We are waiting to see what Jet Blues price and schedule is once published. Presently they are only up to Feb 15. Hopper.com keeps on saying prices will drop.

Thanks for recommendations for shutting from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami.

We like to fly Southwest too, since we can go non-stop from LI to FLL. We used GO Shuttle and they were excellent but we were 2 couples arriving in FLL on different days and it was our first time sailing from MIA so we wanted the security of knowing a car would be waiting for us.

However, while waiting for the other couple on cruise departure day, I noticed that every cruise line seemed to have a kiosk and a representative in the baggage claim area at FLL with buses to take people to their ship. I don't know if everyone had pre-paid and reserved, but it didn't look like it. Might be worth looking into for OP...I know I will next time we fly to FLL and sail from MIA.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We also are cruising out of Miami in March from NY! The airline prices in to Miami are making us think about driving. We are waiting to see what Jet Blues price and schedule is once published. Presently they are only up to Feb 15. Hopper.com keeps on saying prices will drop.

Thanks for recommendations for shutting from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami.

Larry would it be cheaper for you to drive to Albany and take Southwest? I'm guessing S/W not flying out of Stewart any more or you'd be going there Since we're both from a part of NY that can have delightful or horrid weather in March (and very little in between) might I suggest you fly down a day or two or five ahead of time?

Are you doing Exotic Southern Caribbean for 15 days? We did that one March, 2016 and it was fantastic.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I debark with DH in Miami on Saturday and sail from Fort Lauderdale with DD on Sunday on December. After scouring these boards I decided to get a quote from Larry's Limo who will pick us both up at the Port of Miami, drop DH at Miami airport and deliver me to Fort Lauderdale hotel for less than just cab fare from Miami airport to hotel. I considered shuttle and train, but don't want to have to deal with carting luggage on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We fly United out of O'Hare which does not have direct flights to MIA. We are going to be in the area a couple days beforehand and would prefer staying in Lauderdale until the day of the cruise. We will likely rent a car and it sounds like driving down might be the best option for us, even if we have to pay a surcharge for returning to a different location.

Opinions on this option?

We fly United out of O'Hare which does not have direct flights to MIA. We are going to be in the area a couple days beforehand and would prefer staying in Lauderdale until the day of the cruise. We will likely rent a car and it sounds like driving down might be the best option for us, even if we have to pay a surcharge for returning to a different location.

Opinions on this option?

Only fault I find with your plan is the driving to MIA to return your rental car... probably to airport, right? Then you need to get a taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal. Good news is you might not have to pay drop-off charge since the two airports are so close to each other.

If it were me, I think I would return the car to FLL and either pick up the Celebrity shuttle from airport to ship or have a taxi or private car take you from FLL to the port.

Another alternative would be for you to stay in a hotel that offers free transport to and from FLL airport. Return the car to FLL the night before you cruise and have Go Shuttle or Larry's pick you up at your hotel. Less bag schlepping that way. There's a very nice Hilton Garden Inn that we've stayed at. In the middle of nowhere, but a nice setting, lovely pool and restaurant that's quite good...and they have arrangements with a car service that will take you from the hotel to Port of Miami, not free but not outrageous either. Keep in mind that "Spring Break Madness" runs from Feb. to March and believe me when I tell you...it is insane, especially at hotels on the beach....and they charge double because they can.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Getting a rental car to drive from Ft Lauderdale to the Port of Miami makes little sense, given the hassles, cost of the car, and drop locations. If you have to drop at MIA, then you still have a 20-25 min taxi/shuttle ride to the Port (it is only about a 45 min ride from Ft Lauderdale to the Port (Miami). There are at least two rental car companies (one is Alamo) that offer free shuttle service between MIA and the Port of Miami...but most of the rental car companies either charge for the shuttle or you can simply take a taxi. But again, at this point it might be easier (and not much more money) to simply take Uber or a taxi from Ft Lauderdale. There are also several private shuttle companies that will do transfers between Ft Lauderdale and the Port of Miami.

Personally, we would love to drop (and pick-up) rental cars at the Miami port,,, but it does not exist.

Hank

Hydrokitty,

Southwest does not fly out of Stewart Airport but does out of LaGuardia! We are going on the 14 Day Eclipse Caribbean cruise on March 19th.

I have to wait for Southwest and Jet Blue to update their schedules.

Prices on the other airlines seems to be going up even higher now!

Virgin America has nice prices but only one flight each day. Their return flight leaves for NY at 9:30AM and would not make it!

Larry: Sounds like you're taking the same cruise we did...on the Eclipse out of MIA. A few things to keep in mind....that's Spring Break and last March there was a music festival in the park across from where Eclipse (and everyone else) docks. I don't know if the music festival is an annual event or not....but we got a message from Celebrity that we could face serious delays getting from FLL to Port MIA due to tons of traffic and reminding us that the "ship will not wait". I panicked and called Go Shuttle and they told me not to worry that we were leaving early enough in the morning that we shouldn't be effected and it might take us a little longer than usual but we had over 6 hours to make it! They were true to their word and were waiting when my daughter and her husband stepped off their plane from NC at 9:30 a.m. and we were on board having lunch at 12 Noon.

You mentioned LGA...please don't be offended, but have you flown S/W from LGA before? Keep in mind that the airport is undergoing serious renovations, which I am sure will involve a lot of inconvenience....as everything in the NYC area does...also if you have AAA membership they have an off premises parking lot for members only that we used and were satisfied with. This was before S/W but the lot was secure and the cost was reasonable compared to others. They also provided a shuttle between the lot and the airport.

We're looking to take this cruise again next March....it was that good...I really don't care about the ports...I saw what I was interested in last time...it's just 1/2 the price of renting a condo or staying in a hotel for two weeks..especially when you add in the rental car , restaurant meals 2x every day and the cabana on the beach!