Selling a cruise you can't do on ebay?

Hi everyone

My family and I are booked on the Oct. 16 med cruise on Harmony of the seas in a suite. A few days after booking the cruise it turned out we will also move to a new appartement in October... Now we won't be able to cruise and tried to ask Royal if they could sell the cabin otherwise... No luck, cabins won't go in sale again (ship fully booked), but the representative told me to sell the cruise on ebay, since it's more than 60 days before the cruise, and a name change would be the cheapest option to get out of the contract. Otherwise we would have to switch to an other cruise which has to be 10% more expensive than this one (which is hard to find since it's a quite expensive suite we are booked in).

Has anyone ever done this before? Or is there a special cruise marketplace?

Many thanks in advance!

Gabriela

Maybe it's different in Switzerland, but I have never heard of RC telling someone to sell the cruise on eBay. Also, it sounds like you are before the final payment and should be able to cancel it.

I would think if you sold it on eBay it would be at a discount that is more than 10%. I would transfer or cancel the cruise.

I buy and sell on eBay and I wouldn't buy a cruise from a stranger. Too much money involved; too much could go wrong.

I would try to switch it to another cruise in a lower less expensive cabin category. The difference in price of the suite verses a balcony, ocean view or inside cabin should make up the 10% loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is your best bet. You cannot change all the names on your booking, at least one must remain. 10% is the cost of an insurance policy so you're basically at the break even point.

Actually, I can change all the names in the booking. It says so in the small print. It's only possible until RCI submits all passenger details to the authorities (which is usually a few days prior to sailing).

Of course we do have a travel insurance, but it only covers emergencies (medical) and events like that.

I'm thinking about booking a holiday cruise in December, when prices are steep... Or I will just book a caribbean cruise next summer holiday in a bigger suite. No chance to book a cheaper categorie, the price of the whole cruise has to be 10% more than this one...

It's not possible to do this. You can change a name on a booking, but you can't change all of the names - one of the original guests name must stay on the booking.

So why would RCI Germany's representative suggest doing this? I have it written in an e-mail, where she suggests selling the cruise on ebay and paying only the name change fee (around 50$/pax). Very strange!

So why would RCI Germany's representative suggest doing this? I have it written in an e-mail, where she suggests selling the cruise on ebay and paying only the name change fee (around 50$/pax). Very strange!

I find it to be an odd suggestion, but if you have it in writing that they're suggesting it, I suppose you could give it a try. I'm not sure if eBay will allow it or not, though.

I honestly don't know, it's a bizarre suggestion. You can only do that name change for some passengers, not all of them. Also what they told you about the cabin not being able to go on sale again because the ship is fully booked is not true - any cancelled cabins can go back into inventory and be sold up to a few days before sailing. It's all automated online. Also I have never heard of a rule that says you can only switch if the new cruise is 10% more expensive.

One thing I have found is that the customer service operators don't always have the correct answers. I have had problems with the call centre in Guatemala (there is no longer one in Australia) giving me incorrect information in the past.

I can see from your signature that you are a Crown and Anchor member and likely diamond or D+ from the number of cruises listed.

I would call the C & A number and ask them about cancelling... and what your other options are. I have found the representatives that answer there to be helpful. and better informed

You will NEVER get full price on Ebay.....

Even if you did, the Ebay and Paypal fees will eat over 10%.

But what if the price of the stateroom has risen significantly since it was booked?

If they really do allow all names to be changed under the OP's booking rules, then you would think there would already be a good trade on EBay.