Hair dryers

Jenna109

The rubber band did not work at all for me on Celebrity's hair dryers which I assume are very similar. Some nights, my DH had to take over cause I just could not hold on the button any longer! I have fine hair and could barely get my hair dry, would think thick copious hair would mean lots of painful drying time!

I have some Velcro cable tidies that are easy to put on and take off, and long enough to go around the handle of a hair dryer at least twice. I think I'll try these on our upcoming cruise. As another poster said, I've never once forgot to turn off a hair dryer when I was finished using it!

If they are really set on using a contact switch, I did own a hair dryer once that just relied on your hand bridging the very small gap between two contacts. No pressure was required. Something like that would be much more arthritis-friendly.

I've never left a dryer on either, but I *have* had some cheapies in the past that would very easily turn on if bumped (the switch moved too easily I guess) As with most heating appliances, I don't think cruiselines (or hotels or whomever) are worried about people who never do anything wrong. They're worried about the people who forget, or the devices that turn on again too easily or don't turn off easily enough.....And honestly, since it's my safety that's at stake, I don't have a problem with that perspective.....

I've never left a dryer on either, but I *have* had some cheapies in the past that would very easily turn on if bumped (the switch moved too easily I guess) As with most heating appliances, I don't think cruiselines (or hotels or whomever) are worried about people who never do anything wrong. They're worried about the people who forget, or the devices that turn on again too easily or don't turn off easily enough.....And honestly, since it's my safety that's at stake, I don't have a problem with that perspective.....

Thanks for posting. I agree. Not everyone is as perfect as some here proclaim themselves to be.

You know what?... At the end of the day all any of us wants is a hairdryer fit for purpose. I take my own onboard Azamara every cruise because for me, their hairdryer is not fit for my purpose!

I will continue to take my own even if it takes up case space that I could use for something else(!)

If I brought my own (from North America), would I have to bring a power converter, or could I find a US plug somewhere convenient to a mirror? (I'm in a CC.)

There's a US plug. On Journey it's on the side of the desktop nearest the sliding door. Haven't been on Quest since the drydock but I think pictures have shown it's on the wall below the mirror that's over the desk. Someone will correct if I'm wrong about Quest.

There is certainly a US plug. The issue I had was the voltage was not powerful enough to power my dryer which I will admit is a powerful beast. I am not bringing it this upcoming cruise and I dread how long my hair will take to dry and how sore my thumb will be in the process,:(

Thanks for posting. I agree. Not everyone is as perfect as some here proclaim themselves to be.

I am not perfect--but someone would have to be really stupid to leave a hair dryer on. Jeez. If that type of person is on a cruise ship, other passengers should worry about more than hair dryers.

There is certainly a US plug. The issue I had was the voltage was not powerful enough to power my dryer which I will admit is a powerful beast. I am not bringing it this upcoming cruise and I dread how long my hair will take to dry and how sore my thumb will be in the process,:(

I also brought my own and had this same issue. It worked badly with the converter and made scary noises so trying the euro plug wasn't any help.

• 4 weeks later...

One morning I made the mistake of plugging Azamara's [110v] hair dryer into my 220 adapter plug -- boy did it blow fast and hot! Luckily I realized what was happening and turned it off before any damage occurred. But if you really want a desert scirocco to dry your hair, you could try this...

I just got off the Quest. I brought my own hair dryer (US 1875 watts) and was glad I did. My dryer worked well. The dryer in the room did not have the same level of heat/power.

I asked in previous posts for someone whose hairdryer worked to post the brand!

Tell!

I can tell you GHD's do not work. However their travel straighteners do. We have a cheap Spanish one, Ciatronic voyage which I intend to pack next cruise as it works in European hotels well. Hard to recommend as I have never used it on Azamara.

A hair band wasn't strong enough either.

I have no problems with my hands but found the hairdryer heavy.

I solved this problem by drying my hair in sections with beverage and tidying pauses.

More beverage than tidying I must admit :D

I am going to add to this that the hairdryer in our suite on Journey, was the worst built in hardryer on any cruise ship, i have ever used! Sorry Azamara, but there are far more powerful built in hairdryers to be had that work on cruise liners. My daughter and i ended up not bothering because it was more effective to stand out on the balcony and dry your hair!

I appreciate there are power issues, but these do take the biscuit and are not fit for purpose.