Yes, yes, I know this has been asked, but.....

Rosethorn40

Can I, as a US citizen, take the 1-day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver, and then take the 7-day cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles (B2B), both on the Crown Princess? I seem to remember reading something about this a long time ago, and the answer was no, but since I didn't really pay much attention because I didn't think it would ever pertain to me I forgot the answer.

BTW-I did try calling Princess but they had "un-expectantly longer than normal wait times" (Their quote, not mine). I gave up after 15-minutes.

Ask yourself this: if it could be sold as a single itinerary, why would Princess bother with a one-night sailing and putting the cabin attendants through embarkation day two days in a row?

The proposed itinerary isn't compliant.

Thank you. That's what I thought, but wasn't 100% sure.

As far as why Princess would bother with a 1-day cruise? Money. They are currently offering an interior cabin on the Crown (Seattle to Vancouver) for one night at $199, more than a daily rate for a longer cruise. Currently, an interior cabin on the Crown for the next sailing (7 nights) is $619, or $88.43 per night.

In business money always trumps.

Can I, as a US citizen, take the 1-day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver, and then take the 7-day cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles (B2B), both on the Crown Princess? I seem to remember reading something about this a long time ago, and the answer was no, but since I didn't really pay much attention because I didn't think it would ever pertain to me I forgot the answer.

BTW-I did try calling Princess but they had "un-expectantly longer than normal wait times" (Their quote, not mine). I gave up after 15-minutes.

If its the same ship you must be off it for 24 hours in between or change ships so no.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thank you. That's what I thought, but wasn't 100% sure.

As far as why Princess would bother with a 1-day cruise? Money. They are currently offering an interior cabin on the Crown (Seattle to Vancouver) for one night at $199, more than a daily rate for a longer cruise. Currently, an interior cabin on the Crown for the next sailing (7 nights) is $619, or $88.43 per night.

In business money always trumps.

In this case the reason is so they can reposition the ship in Los Angeles . If They tried to sail from Seattle to LA directly they would have to go empty as they, like all non US flagged carriers cannot transport passengers from one US port to another without stopping at a distant port. The cruise lines do not like this hassle but they must comply with the law as it is currently written.

In looking at the schedule, I think you could do the one-day cruise on the Crown from Seattle to Vancouver on Sept. 17 and then the three-day cruise on the Ruby from Vancouver to Los Angeles on Sept. 19. That would give you one night to spend in Vancouver at a hotel.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any longer cruises you could take from Vancouver that would be after the one-day cruise on the Crown. The other ships that are sailing out of Vancouver to Alaska this summer will leave before then (or in the case of the Star, way later after doing a cruise to Hawaii).

In looking at the schedule, I think you could do the one-day cruise on the Crown from Seattle to Vancouver on Sept. 17 and then the three-day cruise on the Ruby from Vancouver to Los Angeles on Sept. 19. That would give you one night to spend in Vancouver at a hotel.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any longer cruises you could take from Vancouver that would be after the one-day cruise on the Crown. The other ships that are sailing out of Vancouver to Alaska this summer will leave before then (or in the case of the Star, way later after doing a cruise to Hawaii).

You are very kind to take the time to look at the schedule, and make a viable suggestion. We are considering the 7-day coastal on the Crown as that fits nicely into my DH work schedule. We had thought about flying into Seattle a couple days early to see family and then take the train to Vancouver to catch the ship. When I saw the 1-day from Seattle to Vancouver I was hoping that it might be possible to take the Crown to Vancouver, and just stay on for the Pacific Coastal (But I thought I had read that wasn't possible, and of course I now know that it is not possible). We have 13 cruises with Princess, and if this had been possible we would have had #14 & 15 under our belt and on to the next loyalty tier. Oh well, guess we are going to have to do it the old fashion way :)

In this case the reason is so they can reposition the ship in Los Angeles . If They tried to sail from Seattle to LA directly they would have to go empty as they, like all non US flagged carriers cannot transport passengers from one US port to another without stopping at a distant port. The cruise lines do not like this hassle but they must comply with the law as it is currently written.
The ship, and you, would have to sail to a FAR foreign port if you embark at one US port and disembark at another, and the nearest far foreign port is South America. This is US law, the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and has nothing to do with citizenship.

We have 13 cruises with Princess, and if this had been possible we would have had #14 & 15 under our belt and on to the next loyalty tier. Oh well, guess we are going to have to do it the old fashion way :)

If your main purpose is to reach Elite level, then you can still accomplish your mission with a simple overnight cruise from Seattle to Vancouver. How? Just do the overnight cruise with each of you in your own, separate, interior cabin. You'll pay the single rate (double the normal rate) but you'll get credit for 2 cruises and reach your Elite status with only one cruise taken! The reason I specify interior (you could do it in any type of cabin really) is you accomplish your mission at minimum cost! No need to even spend the night in separate cabins either. Just let the steward know that he doesn't have to turn down the bed in the one cabin that you won't use as that will save him a bit of work the next morning!

Tom

If your main purpose is to reach Elite level, then you can still accomplish your mission with a simple overnight cruise from Seattle to Vancouver. How? Just do the overnight cruise with each of you in your own, separate, interior cabin. You'll pay the single rate (double the normal rate) but you'll get credit for 2 cruises and reach your Elite status with only one cruise taken! The reason I specify interior (you could do it in any type of cabin really) is you accomplish your mission at minimum cost! No need to even spend the night in separate cabins either. Just let the steward know that he doesn't have to turn down the bed in the one cabin that you won't use as that will save him a bit of work the next morning!

Tom

The airfare from Washington, DC, the long term parking costs, the Dulles Greenway toll, etc. makes this an expensive way to reach Elite, that is why we will have to do it the traditional way. The goal isn't so much to reach Elite, but to have an enjoyable vacation. If I could have managed it with minimum fuss and expense, great. DH won't consider flying anywhere for less than a 7-day cruise, so we don't take advantage of the short, cheap cruises that those that live near a city such as Seattle, LA, or Ft. Lauderdale can.

I always thought Princess' loyalty program to be a bit off kilter. To reach the top level of Elite one can; take fifteen cruises that average in length of 7-14 days, or if you live in Seattle or Vancouver, by taking fifteen 1-night cruises (Of half that number by booking a suite). Or several really long cruises that total 150+ days, and of course there are other scenarios. I just think its crazy that a 1-day cruise counts as much as a 14-day cruise (Granted I would love it if I could take advantage of it).

The airfare from Washington, DC, the long term parking costs, the Dulles Greenway toll, etc. makes this an expensive way to reach Elite.

Sorry 'bout that. I was having some browser problems and apparently either misread your message or had a brain belch and was thinking about someone else's message because I was thinking (or more appropriately, not thinking) that you were local here in the Seattle area. :(:(

Yep, I can see that traveling across the country just to do what I suggested was not in the least very cost effective! Boy, do I feel stupid!!:cool:

Tom