Yes or No, Serenade of the Seas

Hi,

I am looking on opinions on going on the Serenade of the Seas. I have read some reviews and some are good and some are not so good. I do not really like going on a ship that looks like it needs updating or is a bit worn, I like having excellent....ok..at least good service in the MDR and the cabin, and I like really good food but that is subjective.

What does everyone think about this ship?

Thank you,

Nancy

Hi,

I am looking on opinions on going on the Serenade of the Seas. I have read some reviews and some are good and some are not so good. I do not really like going on a ship that looks like it needs updating or is a bit worn, I like having excellent....ok..at least good service in the MDR and the cabin, and I like really good food but that is subjective.

What does everyone think about this ship?

Thank you,

Nancy

The Serenade was last into drydock in 2012 and isn't due again until 2017.....However RCI maintains their fleet extremely well. I wouldn't and many of us wouldn't hesitate to book on this classic Radiance class ship as they are a favorite. Don't let a few "not so good" reviews affect your decision...there are many more good ones to consider, and you certainly should.

We were on Serenade for 23 days. 16 days transatlantic & 7 days Norway April, May, 2016.

We would gladly sail on her again. Were very happy with the food both in the MDR & buffet area. Staff were all friendly & happy to please. We had an inside room on deck 8 & anything we asked for was there in no time.

She isn't a new ship but she is well maintained. Also great solarium & wonderful beef sandwiches, salads etc. at the food counters inside solarium.

I prefer the Voyage or Freedom class. Radiance class doesn't do it for me. Any ship will have "worn" areas....they are heavily used, you know...and folks don't give a fig what they do to something that isn't theirs.

I prefer the Voyage or Freedom class. Radiance class doesn't do it for me. Any ship will have "worn" areas....they are heavily used, you know...and folks don't give a fig what they do to something that isn't theirs.

Anyone want to guess WHY cb doesn't like Radiance Class? :p;)

Sailed on the Serenade in April this year. Like all RC ships, it is well maintained. I would not, however, probably sail a Radiance class ship again.

Food was good. Service was excellent including cabin steward. Everyone was very friendly.

I did do an official review. I think it depends what you are used to and what you are looking for. Personally prefer a larger ship, such as Voyager or Freedom class, even Oasis class. Missed the promenade down the center of the ship with places to sit, grab a bite to eat, etc. Found the Serenade to seem crowded. Elevators were awful. Many of the shows were held in the centrum with no seating ever available . Loved the solarium, but crowded and roof was often closed - even in the heat of the Caribbean.

To reiterate it depends on what you are looking for and your type of ship preference.

Had breakfast and lunch daily in MDR. Had no problems with food on board - just the crowded areas with no seating, e.g. Could never find a place to sit and eat in solarium.

The breakfast in the MDR thing was my poor attempt at humor, sorry.

Not my favorite either. Big ships have more going on. Went on it once and

doubt I will ever go back. Nothing wrong with it , but it isn't the Oasis .

I like the floating hotel atmosphere of the bigger ships.

I have tried 4 classes and found that I liked the Serenade the least.

Try the ship out and see if its a good fit for you.

cheers.

Yes, I was kidding above.:)

Sorry for not catching that. :o

...has it reached the point where we are trying to determine what's in the mind of CB? :eek: Could it be we've been on CC too long.....;)

No, usually, every time CB comments on a post regarding Radiance Class she states that she doesn't like that class because one can't tan in the solarium. ;) I haven't even been here that long, lol.

We were on Serenade in April and enjoyed the cruise. Never had a problem with food or service. I did not notice any areas that need repair but then I don't look for that either.

We have only been on Radiance and Voyager class and love both for different reasons.

Sailed on the Serenade in April this year. Like all RC ships, it is well maintained. I would not, however, probably sail a Radiance class ship again.

Food was good. Service was excellent including cabin steward. Everyone was very friendly.

I did do an official review. I think it depends what you are used to and what you are looking for. Personally prefer a larger ship, such as Voyager or Freedom class, even Oasis class. Missed the promenade down the center of the ship with places to sit, grab a bite to eat, etc. Found the Serenade to seem crowded. Elevators were awful. Many of the shows were held in the centrum with no seating ever available . Loved the solarium, but crowded and roof was often closed - even in the heat of the Caribbean.

To reiterate it depends on what you are looking for and your type of ship preference.

Although I adore Serenade and have three cruises booked on her, I agree with a lot of what you said. RCI did their best to ruin the Centrum on Serenade and Brilliance by putting in the aerial show and moving a lot of activities there. Thankfully they didn't make the same blunder on Radiance and Jewel.

I don't care for the promenade, though. I always feel as if I'm in a giant mall. I prefer the congested mess on Serenade, which is at least is a small congested mess.:)

Edited by critterchick