Wow!! That's What I Call a Pay Rise.

I have been monitoring (almost daily) the cabin prices for the PNG cruise with Princess departing Sydney in April 2017. Overnight (literally - I checked it yesterday) the price of the inside cabin in the category I have been watching has risen $640 per person - that's an increase of approx. 23% in one foul swoop. Looks like its good bye to that cruise.:)

I have been monitoring (almost daily) the cabin prices for the PNG cruise with Princess departing Sydney in April 2017. Overnight (literally - I checked it yesterday) the price of the inside cabin in the category I have been watching has risen $640 per person - that's an increase of approx. 23% in one foul swoop. Looks like its good bye to that cruise.:)

Are they offering some special deal where the "deal" would bring the price back down to what you were seeing before? Keep watching it - the prices may go down again

I was watching that cruise too. They had it for $2500 pp cheapest cabin and now its over $3k. Probably something to do with Princess new promo. Come back new sale.

Sail away from the routine of daily living thanks to our Come Back New Sale.

Until 31st August, you'll enjoy up to 30% per person off launch fares on selected voyages~. Receive up to $300 onboard credit per stateroom^ as you sail from one fascinating destination to the next. Book a mini-suite or suite on selected voyages and you'll receive a free spa treatment at the Lotus Spa±.

Whether exploring New Zealand, the South Pacific, Asia, Australia, Europe, Alaska or the entire globe, you’ll see what it means to come back new.

Edited by icat2000

Inside cabin prices for the PNG cruise this September (ex Sydney) have just jumped $1169 for the cabin category we're booked in, and there are only guarantees available. :eek:

There are plenty of oceanview and balcony cabins available but they seem to have jumped in price too. Oceanview $4699 minimum and balcony $5999 minimum.

It will be interesting to see if a sale pops up in the next few days. :rolleyes:

PNG cruises do seem to be expensive compared with other cruises of similar length however.

Just thinking about it ... I think the current prices on the September cruise are close to the original price of the cruise.

I recall looking at it earlier this year and thinking it was way too expensive. After we got back from our last cruise on Golden the inside cabin prices dropped significantly (so we booked with our newly purchased FCC) and other cabin classes dropped slightly. Prices have fluctuated a bit, especially the oceanviews, but the inside cabins stayed at the low price until today.

Inside cabins were actually sold out for a while, then a few popped back up for sale. I actually upgraded our cabin to a better location just a few days ago. Then most of the inside cabins disappeared again.

We cruised to PNG in April.

When we booked our inside Cat was around $2200 p/p:eek:, I refared twice over 12 months.......down to $1800 then $1400:D. We lost 3 for three deal, but gained $100 OBC.

Also when some categories or cabins looked sold out, they are actually held for different sectors. Syd/ Syd, Bris/Bris or Syd/Bris depending what they are selling it as. When I did mock booking as if I was cruising from Brisbane different cabins became available. Closer to the cruise they release all the cabins.

We just book and wait for those price drops!!

Wow, that's a great price Cheznandy.

Unfortunately the inside fare didn't drop below $2500 for the September cruise, but at least that's better than the current $3500+.

Final payment day for that cruise is tomorrow so probably no chance of any major price drops in the next 24 hours or so. :(

It's been interesting comparing the Sydney-Sydney and Brisbane-Brisbane cabin availability and prices.

There are still over 100 cabins showing as available on the Sydney-Sydney sector - oceanviews and balconies.

Wow, that's a great price Cheznandy.

Unfortunately the inside fare didn't drop below $2500 for the September cruise, but at least that's better than the current $3500+.

Final payment day for that cruise is tomorrow so probably no chance of any major price drops in the next 24 hours or so. :(

It's been interesting comparing the Sydney-Sydney and Brisbane-Brisbane cabin availability and prices.

There are still over 100 cabins showing as available on the Sydney-Sydney sector - oceanviews and balconies.

We did book 18 months ahead......those FCD are great, mine have many lives haha!!

I found it dropped about 10 months out, obviously there were not many bookings then, later we had a full ship.

Same with our Emerald cruise in November, booked it at $1850, have refared twice, down to $1500 now with lots of combined OBC, grats included, AUD, bring our own wine/soft drink/water, Happy cruisers:p

PNG cruises do seem to be expensive compared with other cruises of similar length however.

Probably due to being a relatively new itinerary and people are prepared to pay for these newer/different cruise destinations.

Its all supply and demand....

No one is ripping anyone off or getting a pay rise.If the cabins are not selling as quickly as they like , they drop the price, if they are selling too quickly they raise the price. Simple.

Bit like fruit and veggies , when you think about it.:D:D

No one is ripping anyone off or getting a pay rise.If the cabins are not selling as quickly as they like , they drop the price, if they are selling too quickly they raise the price. Simple.

Well, that's what you'd expect but it doesn't always work that way.

75 days until my PNG cruise departs. For the Sydney-Sydney sector only inside guarantees available, but over 100 oceanview and balcony cabins still unsold. Only 12 oceanview/balcony cabins sold in the last three weeks, and they put the prices UP! :eek:

Can't figure that one out but I'm having fun monitoring it. :D

Agreed, sometimes after numerous price rises the demand dries up and the price falls again. Hence, the regular advice to book when you're happy with the price, unless you accept the risk of the price rising. There's no surefire way to know what demand is going to be like from everyone else.

There are guides, but there may be a group that wants to book for some reason, or an unexpected cancellation so things can change unexpectedly.

Which PNG cruise have you booked Mic? We are on Oct 15th 7 nights from cairns.

Oz Kiwi - where can you find the info re how many of each type of cabin are still available.?

thanks

Just go to the cruise and pretend to make a booking. The Princess website is very good for that. The first thing it shows is which cabins are available and where. You just have to count them.

Which PNG cruise have you booked Mic? We are on Oct 15th 7 nights from cairns.

Oz Kiwi - where can you find the info re how many of each type of cabin are still available.?

thanks

2 October 2017 - Pacific Aria.:D

My 11night png roundtrip from brisbane is @1400insides. With 100obc. 22nd jan 2017 sun princess. The boat is mostly empty. Wonder if another drop is on the way

That could be because it's the hot/ wet/cyclone season and also too close to the start of the school year if you were thinking of a family holiday.

Still, you could take a punt on good weather at that price.

My 11night png roundtrip from brisbane is @1400insides. With 100obc. 22nd jan 2017 sun princess. The boat is mostly empty. Wonder if another drop is on the way

That could be because it's the hot/ wet/cyclone season and also too close to the start of the school year if you were thinking of a family holiday.

Still, you could take a punt on good weather at that price.

$1400 for an 11 night cruise isn't mega-cheap, it's $127pp per day, and that's within a couple of dollars of what I've paid for the 20 night cruise in September.

$1400 for an 11 night cruise isn't mega-cheap, it's $127pp per day, and that's within a couple of dollars of what I've paid for the 20 night cruise in September.

Its still good value.....you could hardly get just a Hotel room on its own for that price.;)

Yes, it is good value ... which is why I ended up booking my upcoming PNG cruise.

At the original and now current price for that cruise, around $183pp per day, it was way too expensive.

It also depends where you're booking a hotel. I got a serviced apartment in Auckland for just on $200 per night last December.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I think it depends on the circumstance. Not that $1400 is mega cheap. Though considering I booked 8 months out from sailing. During a time period my brother is on uni break/ summer holidays. It is good value. Especially while others indicate PNG cruises have jumped in price.

Although I have enjoyed some drop and go bargains (which tend to go to the same old places). I don't mind paying a few hundred dollars more to plan ahead and go somewhere I really want to go.

It isn't always agreeable with work commitments to request leave 4-6 weeks out. However It doesn't hurt to ask!

That's where buying Future Cruise Credits, whilst on your cruise, comes in very useful.

When you see a cruise you like you can book it using the FCC. It's best if you book directly though Princess. If the price drops, ring Princess and ask them to refare it. They will do this up until final payment date. If the cruise is still too expensive near final payment date you can easily cancel and the FCC goes back onto your Princess account for re-use, and if you don't use it within two years it's refunded to your credit card.

I'd been eyeing our upcoming PNG cruise for some time but didn't have any FCCs left. I bought some on our April Golden cruise. I'd barely had time to think about future cruises when I noticed the price drop in the PNG cruise and was able to book it immediately.

Unfortunately Princess doesn't often have mega-cheap fares. :( Other cruise lines do but they are usually the USD onboard cost lines and the drinks prices on those are very expensive, so what you gain of the fare you lose on the onboard costs. :mad: