Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

you do understand most people are there to take a cruise and not end up in jail so making a big fuss over it would not be in their best interest. jail or a cruise, which would you prefer. :rolleyes:

Now I'm confused. Are NCL jailing people for arriving with water now? :)

Edited by KeithJenner

I've never understood why some people seem to be proud of their lack of brand loyalty.

They brag about not being brand loyal, and they go wherever the mood / opportunity takes them. And then they expect brands to accommodate their desires.

Most brands are pursuing people who WILL be brand loyal. They want to invest in repeat guests, not the transient churn set.

Much better to advocate for the change from the position of somebody likely to utilize this vendor frequently and/or exclusively.

It's just a better negotiating position....

Stephen

Brand loyalty in one thing, but in this thread there is also fanaticism.

I enjoy my certain brands of coffee and that is what I buy and drink at home, but I drink coffee after a meal when I go out to dinner regardless of what they serve, in hotels whatever is stocked in the room I will manage with and so on.

I have my preference of which cola I like best, actually not Coke or Pepsi but on the rare occasion I want a soft drink when out, I can manage with a root beer, Dr, Pepper, ginger ale or some other flavor.

I think most people have certain things they are somewhat loyal to, it could be just about anything automobiles, fast food, laundry detergent, airlines.

Something that is truly important to one person may not be to another but something else is. Still it is one thing to be loyal and another to be blindly adamantly loyal.

I've never understood why some people seem to be proud of their lack of brand loyalty.

They brag about not being brand loyal, and they go wherever the mood / opportunity takes them. And then they expect brands to accommodate their desires.

Most brands are pursuing people who WILL be brand loyal. They want to invest in repeat guests, not the transient churn set.

Much better to advocate for the change from the position of somebody likely to utilize this vendor frequently and/or exclusively.

Stephen

I think you are confused. It is the people who ARE brand loyal that expect their brand to accommodate their desires....because heaven forbid they make changes and don't give them the product that they have always been loyal to and love. I don't expect any brand to cater me. I look after myself and my budget and purchase the vacation that best fits my needs. I don't expect them to change to suit me, but I will choose the ship, not the line, that best fits my wants, fully knowing that they can make any changes they want at any time because they are a business looking to make a profit, just like I am a consumer looking for the best value for my money.

Now I'm confused. Are NCL jailing people for arriving with water now? :)

really.....:rolleyes:

no, ncl can't jail anyone as they do not have the authority to do so, at least not on land. but make a scene at the security check in and you can bet your bottom dollar that security can throw your butt in jail or hold you until the police arrive.

what a great way that would be to start......and end.....a cruise which is why no one has seen any scenes at security over this or any other issue. i don't think anyone who has spent thousands of dollars on a cruise is going to risk their cruise and jail time over water or soda. doesn't mean they aren't pissed to the holy high heavens though.

Edited by Computer Nerd

really.....:rolleyes:

no, ncl can't jail anyone as they do not have the authority to do so, at least not on land. but make a scene at the security check in and you can bet your bottom dollar that security can throw your butt in jail or hold you until the police arrive.

what a great way that would be to start......and end.....a cruise which is why no one has seen any scenes at security over this or any other issue. i don't think anyone who has spent thousands of dollars on a cruise is going to risk their cruise and jail time over water or soda. doesn't mean they aren't pissed to the holy high heavens though.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I don't think many people have decided not to ask questions and complain a bit based on the risk of being thrown in jail.

Rather more likely is that people don't want to test things by taking drinks with them just to have them confiscated (costing them money). Or maybe the average person just isn't that bothered.

It also isn't the best place to complain anyway. I'd have thought that if you want to hear whether people are complaining then guest services, near the water dispenser in the buffet and wherever you buy water would be more likely.

The thought of jail won't even have entered the head of the average person when considering whether to complain about something.

Yes they are...but they are not entitled to think every company needs to cater to their specific wants. The companies can't please everyone and every change they make is sure to make someone unhappy with them. In this case there are plenty of other included options. If you can't live without your specific preference for a few days then really that is your problem not the cruise lines. Find an alternative (even if it costs you more) or move on to another cruise line that now fits your needs better. You are the consumer and it is your responsibility to cater to your own specific wants, not the cruise lines.

If you will read my prior posts, I have never once said it is NCL's responsibility to "cater to your own specific wants". Not once.

My specific issue was the notice **after** my final payment without a way to get out of the cruise (vis-a-vis being able to bring a reasonable amount of Coke aboard). I'm not even saying I would have cancelled - I wanted the option to cancel. And, also, the lack of notice for 2 future cruises that I had booked.

Therefore, the 2 future cruises have been cancelled and I will go on the Escape, have a good time, but my usual onboard spending (which, even scares me sometimes when I see the bill :eek:) will be completely curtailed and I'll just spend more in the ports of call. :D

It's a notice issue. NCL could have handled the notice situation much more professionally. And, I'll be watching them. If they change the way they notice for changes (that I totally agree they are allowed to make), then I will consider cruising with them again.

My prediction: If bookings have not decreased since the bad press this policy created, it will be set in stone. If NCL has decrease bookings from the negative newspaper articles and travel blogs then the policy will definitely change. We will know in about 10 days if this policy will remain. Its really amazing the small things affect people's travel plans. The hoopla this policy change created probably did more to curtail bookings than any mass promo offer NCL sent out to increase bookings. When a cruise line gets media for a new ship...bookings go up from the media attention. When a small mishap or negative publicity happens for any reason, bookings go down for that line. This policy change was in every paper I saw nationwide and the outrage it created (either real or staged). We will see. FDR will push things further until they blow up.

The marketing machine has been busy as DW has gotten two multi-page flyers in the last week getting very little in the months prior.

not the first time, or the last. someone get's called out for saying something dumb and instead of removing the dumb comment, the hosts remove the reply because the poster with the dumb post got a little butt hurt. it's the way of the world here. ;)

You think my post saying I may give up my NCL Loyalty Society membership Was Dumb , Nerd ??

I don't see your name on the membership list !

If you will read my prior posts, I have never once said it is NCL's responsibility to "cater to your own specific wants". Not once.

My specific issue was the notice **after** my final payment without a way to get out of the cruise (vis-a-vis being able to bring a reasonable amount of Coke aboard). I'm not even saying I would have cancelled - I wanted the option to cancel. And, also, the lack of notice for 2 future cruises that I had booked.

Therefore, the 2 future cruises have been cancelled and I will go on the Escape, have a good time, but my usual onboard spending (which, even scares me sometimes when I see the bill :eek:) will be completely curtailed and I'll just spend more in the ports of call. :D

It's a notice issue. NCL could have handled the notice situation much more professionally. And, I'll be watching them. If they change the way they notice for changes (that I totally agree they are allowed to make), then I will consider cruising with them again.

You show them. I am sure they won't be hurt by you not sailing with them. They will fill the boat no problem at all.

It is the people who ARE brand loyal that expect their brand to accommodate their desires....because heaven forbid they make changes and don't give them the product that they have always been loyal to and love.

new_coke_zps9izxoe9x.jpg

You think my post saying I may give up my NCL Loyalty Society membership Was Dumb , Nerd ??

I don't see your name on the membership list !

i did not mention any names whatsoever so i have no idea why you think it was meant for you.

as for being loyal to ncl, don't count me as being one of those people. i am loyal to my wife, my kids, and my wallet and that's it. heck, ncl is the least favorite of the cruise lines i have sailed and only sail on them when i have to.

You show them. I am sure they won't be hurt by you not sailing with them. They will fill the boat no problem at all.

imo, it has nothing to do with trying to hurt a company. it has everything to do with spending my money with a company that does things the way i like so i can get the most enjoyment from my hard earned dollars.

that being said, if enough people decide ncl has gone too far for whatever reason, ncl's bottom line will be affected. ncl wouldn't be the first or last hospitality company to go bust after making enough mistakes.

Edited by Computer Nerd

Aw....thanks for being snarky. :)

I never said they won't fill the "boat". :rolleyes: Though, lately, a heck of a lot of Haven upsells are happening at really reduced prices, so they aren't filling up at the price-points they would prefer (given I book when the manifest opens and pay full-price). ;)

I don't care if they do, or do not, sail full. I'm just doing what I feel is what every consumer does. If you don't like a product for whatever reason, you just don't purchase it. It's pretty simple. Granted, blind loyalists wouldn't understand when it comes to NCL; however, everyone does it. Whether it's a vacation option, or something as simple as a food item, or toilet paper, or anything. :)

The problem that I have with the new policy is not that I can't bring on Coke specifically, but rather that they are seeking to control what I can bring on for MY vacation. As others have pointed out, this isn't a three hour flight, or a two hour concert, but an entire week - and I want to bring with me what I want to bring with me, unless there is an over-riding security reason.

I *get* and accept how Carnival handled the matter - banning bottles makes sense from a security perspective - but banning cans does NOT.

I did cancel my October NCL trip, not specifically because of the new policy, but because I'm becoming disaffected by the whole idea of cruising - it just doesn't seem as special any more, more a "them/cruiseline" v. "us/pax".

My specific issue was the notice **after** my final payment without a way to get out of the cruise (vis-a-vis being able to bring a reasonable amount of Coke aboard).

Here is what I don't understand. Many of those having an issue with the way NCL notified or hasn't notified customers prior to the final payment are the same posters (not referring to you Frick & Frack, because I don't remember if you were one of them or not) who had an issue when NCL made the last changes with regard to them not notifying folks before final payment so they could cancel. We all know that NCL sucks as far as their communication, it was bad before Mr. Del Rio and it is bad now, so why did folks think it was going to be any different with this change or any upcoming changes. It is obviously NCL's MO, but many still went ahead and booked cruises and then continue to have an issue with how NCL notifies their customers. If NCL were to make a policy change that is the straw that breaks my camel's back after my final payment, it is my fault that I would be put in the position, because NCL is doing the same thing over and over again, so not sure why I would expect different results.

Here is what I don't understand. Many of those having an issue with the way NCL notified or hasn't notified customers prior to the final payment are the same posters (not referring to you Frick & Frack, because I don't remember if you were one of them or not) who had an issue when NCL made the last changes with regard to them not notifying folks before final payment so they could cancel. We all know that NCL sucks as far as their communication, it was bad before Mr. Del Rio and it is bad now, so why did folks think it was going to be any different with this change or any upcoming changes. It is obviously NCL's MO, but many still went ahead and booked cruises and then continue to have an issue with how NCL notifies their customers. If NCL were to make a policy change that is the straw that breaks my camel's back after my final payment, it is my fault that I would be put in the position, because NCL is doing the same thing over and over again, so not sure why I would expect different results.

Comments from those who support most of the changes made by NCL are not very convincing.

Stephen

NCL does not cater to "brand loyal" cruisers. They are taking away some of the Platinum latitudes benefits in what seems to be a campaign to dissuade the guests who have been loyal to them.

NCL does not cater to "brand loyal" cruisers. They are taking away some of the Platinum latitudes benefits in what seems to be a campaign to dissuade the guests who have been loyal to them.

FWIW, I made Platinum the old fashioned way: 14 cruises. Since the revamp of the latitudes program, platinum can be obtained in as few as 3-4 cruises. Instead of having a small group of loyal platinum's on a typical cruise, now there are hundreds. It obviously is becoming a financial burden and a logistical impossibility to provide all these people the original benefits promised. The program has been diluted and the long-time, loyal customers are the losers.

Edited by Seanote

My greatest concerns about their changes has always included their notification. At this point, however, I've just personally decided that the changes are becoming far too frequent in addition to, at least to me, way worse communications about the changes (for example, the gratuities - which I GLADLY pay - you could "grandfather" you current level by paying at the time of the change announced; however, this change - it was NCL giving zero option other than "suck it up buttercup").

I will always defend NCL's right to make changes and for them to communicate those changes as they wish. It's their company - their rules. However, that doesn't mean that I will remain a customer.

(And, with this change, what really got to me was that while NCL could notify me only for the specific reservation that was past final payment, and, then, only AFTER they called in response to my e-mail, they didn't e-mail for the other deposited, cruises I had. I felt that was just in poor form.)

It is NCL's lack of respect of any cruiser, new or high level Latitude members.

Having cruised enough on NL to achieve Platinum status it would be nice to be shown some respect for past cruises. We will be on a 14-day back to back cruise in September and NCL has made it seem that they are only interested in our money and not our patronage. And yes if we were given the opportunity to cancel because of this change we would have done so. But the email came 2 weeks after we made our final payment. That NCL can change the cruise contract without advance warning why can't I get my money back since they changed the rules of the game.

Received a callback to my 7/8 email to Andy Stuart, President and COO yesterday. The representative was very nice, and let me know that the Executive Board will not review/revise the policy and will not make exceptions for any one. I believe that NCL does not see itself as a member of the Hospitality -industry. I feel poorly for those employees of NCL who will be affected by the Executive's decision to increase profit, take their share of funds , leave the company, and leave the staff with a lesser un-customer-friendly organization.

The problem that I have with the new policy is not that I can't bring on Coke specifically, but rather that they are seeking to control what I can bring on for MY vacation. As others have pointed out, this isn't a three hour flight, or a two hour concert, but an entire week - and I want to bring with me what I want to bring with me, unless there is an over-riding security reason.

I *get* and accept how Carnival handled the matter - banning bottles makes sense from a security perspective - but banning cans does NOT.

I did cancel my October NCL trip, not specifically because of the new policy, but because I'm becoming disaffected by the whole idea of cruising - it just doesn't seem as special any more, more a "them/cruiseline" v. "us/pax".

Go to Disney and bring in your can of soda and see what they will do to you and also tell them they are not treating you special anymore.

Go to Disney and bring in your can of soda and see what they will do to you and also tell them they are not treating you special anymore.

Never been on Disney. Was addressing NCL.

I'm tired of being "controlled" to the nth degree on my vacation. I am as a result less likely to cruise, period.

They won't do anything unless it is open and could contain alcohol.

Can I bring my own food into theme parks and Disney Resort hotels?

A.

Guests are allowed to bring food items—such as snacks or foods that do not require heating—into Disney theme parks. Inform a Security Cast Member of any food items when you enter the park.

If you are concerned that we may not offer foods that you are able to eat, learn how to make Special Dietary Requests.

I don't believe this post adds to the discussion. It is a quasi ad hominem attack. Instead of discussing the topic, you passive aggressively attack the poster. A preferred technique of internet trolls.