Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I don't believe this post adds to the discussion. It is a quasi ad hominem attack. Instead of discussing the topic, you passive aggressively attack the poster. A preferred technique of internet trolls.

And how is this not pot...kettle?

The problem is mocking people who have a strong preference for one beverage, be it Diet Coke or Coffee.

And yes, "Diet Coke" is my "coffee equivalent"... first thing in the morning, while DH drinks his coffee next to me.

That is the issue I was addressing.

(Not sure how one can bring on "packaged Diet Coke", per your response :confused:)

But to repeat, our MAJOR objection is how NCL notified people.

We were NOT personally affected by the "post-penalty notification", and we did indeed cancel the two cruises nearing penalty phase.

But not everyone had that opportunity.

It would have been SO SIMPLE for NCL to select a date in the future such that no one was in penalty, and to send a blast email to *everyone*, rather than the piddling "batches" - as though it was too costly to send all the emails at once - computers are very, very fast, and all of the e-addresses that are needed are already in their system... that's how they confirmed the deposit, after all...

I'm sorry-----must apologize. I thought that we were talking about coffee. My bad.

I agree that the notification was poorly done, and those who are currently booked should have been "grandfathered."

Remember all of the hue & cry that went up after NCL tried to ban food taken to cabins from the buffet or restaurants? NCL reversed it. Maybe they'll have to tweak this policy as well. Allow passengers to bring canned drinks, and offer bottled water at a reasonable price.

It is the people who ARE brand loyal that expect their brand to accommodate their desires....because heaven forbid they make changes and don't give them the product that they have always been loyal to and love.

But I'm not asking NCL (or anyone else) to accommodate me in any way. I'm not asking NCL to provide me with my Coke or store it for me. Bringing on a 12-pack of soda ONLY affects me. Not one of my fellow passengers will be inconvenienced by it, and NCL isn't losing a single cent since I don't plan on buying Pepsi. (And, as I've mentioned before, I'm more likely to spend money on board if I'm caffeinated, headache-free and in a good mood.)

It is NCL's lack of respect of any cruiser, new or high level Latitude members ... Received a callback to my 7/8 email to Andy Stuart, President and COO yesterday ... that the Executive Board will not review/revise the policy and will not make exceptions for any one ...

Thank you for posting this (again) ... the message is very clear on this on the new "Norwegian Takeaway" ... never mind anything said about the Norwegian Edge.

Never mind listening to the customers paying to cruise their ships, senior management is not even talking to the customers. NCL made a choice in how they communicated. We will make ours accordingly and it's not about soda, water or higher prices alone. Loyalists, feel free to disagree as you see fit.

Meanwhile, enjoy those rock bottom last minute discounted prices, cheaper than Carnival these days ... amazing things happening. It's business as usual.

Edited by mking8288

But I'm not asking NCL (or anyone else) to accommodate me in any way. I'm not asking NCL to provide me with my Coke or store it for me. Bringing on a 12-pack of soda ONLY affects me. Not one of my fellow passengers will be inconvenienced by it, and NCL isn't losing a single cent since I don't plan on buying Pepsi. (And, as I've mentioned before, I'm more likely to spend money on board if I'm caffeinated, headache-free and in a good mood.)

Well, yes you are asking them to accommodate you specifically. The product, in this case, includes their rules for boarding and sailing on their ship. You are asking them to change their new rules for you because it does not meet your needs specifically.

It is NCL's lack of respect of any cruiser, new or high level Latitude members.

Having cruised enough on NL to achieve Platinum status it would be nice to be shown some respect for past cruises. We will be on a 14-day back to back cruise in September and NCL has made it seem that they are only interested in our money and not our patronage. And yes if we were given the opportunity to cancel because of this change we would have done so. But the email came 2 weeks after we made our final payment. That NCL can change the cruise contract without advance warning why can't I get my money back since they changed the rules of the game.

Received a callback to my 7/8 email to Andy Stuart, President and COO yesterday. The representative was very nice, and let me know that the Executive Board will not review/revise the policy and will not make exceptions for any one. I believe that NCL does not see itself as a member of the Hospitality -industry. I feel poorly for those employees of NCL who will be affected by the Executive's decision to increase profit, take their share of funds , leave the company, and leave the staff with a lesser un-customer-friendly organization.

Wow! It's really astounding and telling how little regard for customer service/satisfaction NCL has. I think I've been in denial all along thinking surely they would come to their senses.

I still think the conspiracy theorists are working overtime. When you listen to some of the comments in this (never-ending) thread, doesn't anyone else think it's possible that there was a discussion on how much notice to give, and someone at NCL said, "Two weeks. It's not like anyone is going to be petty enough to cancel a cruise just because they can't have Coke."

Edited by xriva

Go to Disney and bring in your can of soda and see what they will do to you and also tell them they are not treating you special anymore.

disney will say welcome and thank you for coming. disney has absolutely no problem whatsoever with people bringing cans or bottles of soda and their own food as well into the parks.

I still think the conspiracy theorists are working overtime. When you listen to some of the comments in this (never-ending) thread, doesn't anyone else think it's possible that there was a discussion on how much notice to give, and someone at NCL said, "Two weeks. It's not like anyone is going to be petty enough to cancel a cruise just because they can't have Coke."

then why even give two week notice. just make a policy and make it effective that day. and while it is not pettiness that's the reason, it's throwing away hard earned cash that's the problem.

that being said, while people may not throw their money down the toilet you can bet people that are upset won't book any more cruises with ncl.

I get why NCL introduced this change in policy,

A) NCL wants to sell its own soda product to make a profit

B) NCL wants to sell its own bottled water to make a profit

I get why people are not happy with this policy change

A) The majority of people who were informed by email were in penalty period when the announcement was made

B) They may like NCL but not the soda product that they sell

C) They prefer bottled water to ships water but feel the price NCL are charging amounts to profiteering.

D) They are trying to save money

What I do not get is the behaviour of some cruisecritic members unless you are either

a) A NCL shareholder

b) A NCL employee

c) An internet troll

Why would you defend a corporate entity?

If like me, you are not directly affected by this policy change why would you

care when others feel that they are affected?

If the policy was reversed what impact would that have on you?

I have read through this thread and have been astounded and shocked by

the way some people have behaved to members who are not happy with the

change in policy and those that have deliberately posted in an attempt to get

the thread closed.

Corporations should be held to account if they make policy changes and how

they announce them.

Even if this policy change does not affect you, people should respect the

right of those that challenge the change, because otherwise corporations will

continue to make policy changes to further their financial gain and eventually

one of these changes will affect you.

It makes me laugh when I see people posting that they do not see what the

fuss is about, they drink the ship water not bottled water, they do not drink

sodas for various reasons. So unless you are spending money on other areas

of the ship, NCL would probably not want you as a customer as you add no

value in your spending habits, unless they can come up with a policy to part

you from your money.

NCL is a corporate entity not a family member, friend or even an

acquaintance. NCL is there to make money for its shareholders and

employees by providing a product. It owes its customers nothing more than

the product they purchase from it.

As long as I see value in booking with NCL I will.

But I do not see the point of being rude and condescending to those on

cruisecritic who do not see the value.

then why even give two week notice. just make a policy and make it effective that day. and while it is not pettiness that's the reason, it's throwing away hard earned cash that's the problem.

that being said, while people may not throw their money down the toilet you can bet people that are upset won't book any more cruises with ncl.

You have to give some notice to prevent people from buying soda and water and carting it to the port. However, I don't believe anyone thought it would be an issue that people would cancel cruises over. Maybe they did, and they were actively trying to drive away all the people who won't drink tap water or Pepsi, I just find that hard to believe.

disney will say welcome and thank you for coming. disney has absolutely no problem whatsoever with people bringing cans or bottles of soda and their own food as well into the parks.

Very true, Disney has no restriction about bringing in outside food, other than it can't be something to be heated. I would also assume they ban alcohol in the parks, but not the hotels.

I take Mtn Dew with me every trip I make to Disney World.

Disney World is okay with outside food and drinks, but Disneyland isn't:

Q. Can I bring outside food and beverages into Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park?

A. At the present time, you can enjoy your own food and beverages in an ideal setting at the complimentary picnic area—conveniently located outside the Main Entrance to Disneyland Park.

However, with the exception of food items for Guests with specific dietary restrictions, outside food or beverage items are not permitted in either of the Disneyland Resort theme parks.

The Disneyland Resort features a variety of great dining options for almost every taste and budget—including a wide range of choices to help accommodate Guests with food allergies or intolerances.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/dining/outside-food-in-park/

It owes its customers nothing more than

the product they purchase from it.

the problem is, you read about a product and order it. then when you get it, because they have changed the rules, it's no longer the product you ordered. i can see people getting pissed about that. classic bait and switch.

btw, anyone know when companies will start producing and selling 'soda runner's'. :D

You have to give some notice to prevent people from buying soda and water and carting it to the port. However, I don't believe anyone thought it would be an issue that people would cancel cruises over. Maybe they did, and they were actively trying to drive away all the people who won't drink tap water or Pepsi, I just find that hard to believe.

if they never notify cruisers of the change that will happen anyway. i have a cruise booked for november and i have received no notification even though the policy took affect 5 days ago.

Addiction is not understood by many.

the problem is, you read about a product and order it. then when you get it, because they have changed the rules, it's no longer the product you ordered. i can see people getting pissed about that. classic bait and switch.

btw, anyone know when companies will start producing and selling 'soda runner's'. :D

I would definitely agree with some of the policy changes in the past like the room service charge.

But did NCL have a specific soda, water policy allowing it or was it a case of no policy so bringing your own was not an issue.

soda runners made me laugh :D:D

Addiction is not understood by many.

You're not addicted to Coke, Pepsi or coffee - you're addicted to caffeine. There are alternative delivery methods.

It's not like you can't get Coke anywhere in the Caribbean, you just can't get it on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And yes if we were given the opportunity to cancel because of this change we would have done so. But the email came 2 weeks after we made our final payment. That NCL can change the cruise contract without advance warning why can't I get my money back since they changed the rules of the game.

While I agree with you about the notification period, the fact remains that the contract has not changed a bit.

Contract has never included anything like that, basically it only guarantees you room and board - not even any ports of call.

While I agree with you about the notification period, the fact remains that the contract has not changed a bit.

Contract has never included anything like that, basically it only guarantees you room and board - not even any ports of call.

You are absolutely correct. The contract spells out what it covers:

"The fare paid by the Guest for this ticket includes transportation on the vessel named herein, full board, and ordinary vessel food..."

Doesn't say anything in there about granting you the ability to bring beverages aboard their ships.

Actually, the contract doesn't even take effect until it is paid for (as opposed to when the deposit is made) and you agree to the policies in place at the time of BOARDING (not at the time of BOOKING).

I can see why NCL would notify those who had a paid contract. Those who do not yet have a paid contract are simply notified by the change in the FAQ. There is nothing in the agreement where NCL promises to personally notify each guest of every change between the time of booking and the time of boarding.