Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

If it's not an issue for you then it's not, but you telling someone that it is an issue for that they shouldn't have an issue because you don't have an issue doesn't make it so. I am not seriously impacted by this but I will certainly be keeping it in mind when I book my future cruises (and I can see why it is an issue for some). Just because people aren't making a fuss doesn't mean it's not an issue for them (I know that I wouldn't make a fuss at the port since the people at the port have nothing to do with the policy and can't change it).

I didn't tell anyone that they shouldn't have an issue. In fact I said they are entitled to their preferences and they are entitled to have an issue with it. They are not entitled to have NCL cater specifically to their issues, especially when there are alternatives included in the price of their fare. If that alternative is not acceptable to them, then again that is their issue and not NCL's. NCL cannot possibly please everyone from stockholders to passengers and if they make a decision that impacts a few and not the majority to increase revenues or increase security or whatever then more power to them. I hope I am never in that few. Some day I may be. Then I will have to consider that fact when making my cruising decisions, because it will be MY issue, not NCL's.

The problem NCL may not realize is the numbers of people who silently protest this change by simply disappearing from NCL,s cruises.

That is how some handle disappointments at all businesses.

Some people also act on their feelings by curtailing their onboard spending if they were unable to cancel without penalties.

The silent majority sometimes has a very loud voice.

Edited by swedish weave

I didn't tell anyone that they shouldn't have an issue. In fact I said they are entitled to their preferences and they are entitled to have an issue with it. They are not entitled to have NCL cater specifically to their issues, especially when there are alternatives included in the price of their fare. If that alternative is not acceptable to them, then again that is their issue and not NCL's. NCL cannot possibly please everyone from stockholders to passengers and if they make a decision that impacts a few and not the majority to increase revenues or increase security or whatever then more power to them. I hope I am never in that few. Some day I may be. Then I will have to consider that fact when making my cruising decisions, because it will be MY issue, not NCL's.

I didn't mean that you had told anyone they shouldn't have an issue and apologize if I came across that way. It's either a large enough issue that NCL had to address it (they were losing significant revenue or it really was slowing security lines down) or it is so small that NCL is swatting a gnat with a sledge hammer. Passengers are entitled to 1) fair notice of a policy change, 2) the truth as to why the policy is being changed and 3) the opportunity to change their plans without penalty if they are aggrieved by the policy change. Passengers got none of that. (And I say again that passengers have every right to expect a hospitality organization to cater to them, that's the whole point. If I didn't want to be catered to I'd just going camping;).)

Certainly none of the people I've spoken to on this cruise are remotely bothered by the new policy.

That's because, according to this thread, everyone who is annoyed has cancelled their vacations.

Because Carnival banned bottled water and sodas first, then allowed canned beverages in a limited amount, and sold bottled water at a reasonable price. Therefore, among two scoundrel cruise lines, Carnival is the least sleezy.

Carnival never banned water and sodas, what they banned were bottled beverages. You could always still bring on cans. Only water doesn't come in cans, so they at least offered to sell a 12 pack at a reasonable rate.

Wasn't it Abe Lincoln who said that "you can please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time?" Just a thought....plus keeping this thread going!:D

Some of the people can be alright some of the time and some people can be alright most of the time, all the people cannot be alright all of the time. Bob Dylan:D

I didn't mean that you had told anyone they shouldn't have an issue and apologize if I came across that way. It's either a large enough issue that NCL had to address it (they were losing significant revenue or it really was slowing security lines down) or it is so small that NCL is swatting a gnat with a sledge hammer. Passengers are entitled to 1) fair notice of a policy change, 2) the truth as to why the policy is being changed and 3) the opportunity to change their plans without penalty if they are aggrieved by the policy change. Passengers got none of that. (And I say again that passengers have every right to expect a hospitality organization to cater to them, that's the whole point. If I didn't want to be catered to I'd just going camping;).)

I agree with 1 and 3, I don't know if they didn't tell us truth in 2, that is your assumption. Having said that, they did what they did. Hopefully a lesson learned by their PR department on how to roll out changes in the future. If people have an issue with what they did, then again it is their issue. How they react is up to them. But I really don't think the negative reaction is that big. There are a vocal few here, but I truly believe they are a minority. If they are not then my guess you will be seeing some changes in the future to NCL's policies again. I will say it again NCL CAN NOT cater to everyone's preferences, no hospitality service can, and no one should expect them to, that is unrealistic. We are all too different in our preferences. They can try to make changes that will have minimal impact, which I believe with the UBP promo in place this change is. I really don't think you are going to see as big of a negative impact on them as you think. I believe in a few weeks this will all be blown over and it will be business as normal for them....and like I said if not you may see some policy changes. I really don't think so though.

I agree with 1 and 3, I don't know if they didn't tell us truth in 2, that is your assumption. Having said that, they did what they did. Hopefully a lesson learned by their PR department on how to roll out changes in the future. If people have an issue with what they did, then again it is their issue. How they react is up to them. But I really don't think the negative reaction is that big. There are a vocal few here, but I truly believe they are a minority. If they are not then my guess you will be seeing some changes in the future to NCL's policies again. I will say it again NCL CAN NOT cater to everyone's preferences, no hospitality service can, and no one should expect them to, that is unrealistic. We are all too different in our preferences. They can try to make changes that will have minimal impact, which I believe with the UBP promo in place this change is. I really don't think you are going to see as big of a negative impact on them as you think. I believe in a few weeks this will all be blown over and it will be business as normal for them....and like I said if not you may see some policy changes. I really don't think so though.

Item 2 is my conclusion based on many different factors. They haven't learned anything from the way they rolled out changes in the past. I said they have to cater to everyone's wants and needs to the maximum extent possible, I realize they can't please everyone. As I said, they used to accommodate preferences by allowing soft drinks to be brought onboard, now they don't. Yes, this will blow over and people will forget (or new people will start cruising and not even realize how it was before). But I don't think NCL will be able to achieve Del Rio's vision for it by doing the things they've been doing.

I honestly don't think they did. Yes there are a few vocal people on these boards and a couple have said they are even canceling or not booking future cruises. I don't think that number is very large in the grand scheme of things. Look at the reports coming back from the ports. It seems there is not the big fuss as some assumed there would be about the new policy. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any fuss at all. As I have said before, it seems a few vocal people are trying to make mountains out of mole hills and many others just aren't buying it.
I totally agree. The way some, who have an issue with the policy, were posting, I thought there would be news crews reporting on thousands of folks up in arms, making a fuss, drinking or pouring out all their water or soda to hold up the lines, screaming, yelling, etc., but none of that happened. From the reports coming back, there doesn't really seem to be that big an issue with the policy from the majority.

I can see two water six pack. Is that person in front with the white t-shirt staff to? Or is it a guest, bringing water? And finaly...did they take this on bord the ship?

If they took it......than NCL has to answer a few questions more!

I just saw on the german NCL site the overall pricelist...2,95$ plus tax for bottled water:eek: for that i can get 6 bottles from Aldi. I can understand that NCL has to make some money...but thats to much.

If we are (Germany, Swiss, Austria, we are the guineapig:D for this kind of new regulation) going to book a cruise, now we have the Premium Beverage Package that incl. 2 1l bottles of water pro cabin.

If we would like to have more, we would have to buy some:rolleyes:. The price for the cruise is going up...therefore there should be water included.

But life is not a wishconcert;) and everybody can make a choice.....cruising with NCL under these new regulations or not.

The discussion Coke or Pepsi is something strange to me.

Greetings from sunny Cologne

Marie

The crew has a separate entrance. They don't allow guests to enter via this gangway.

Greetings from sunny Gettysburg !

The problem NCL may not realize is the numbers of people who silently protest this change by simply disappearing from NCL,s cruises.

That is how some handle disappointments at all businesses.

Some people also act on their feelings by curtailing their onboard spending if they were unable to cancel without penalties.

The silent majority sometimes has a very loud voice.

Perhaps- but at least 50% of the people complaining here don't even cruise NCL anymore .

I have been with NCL for many years, cruise in the Haven, and am at Platinum level. I am not seeking anything for free. I am willing to pay to have Coke stocked in my cabin even though the beverage package is included when you book the Haven. I am not willing to go an entire week without having a Coke.

I am seeking a different line that carries Coke. The is a deal breaker for my family. I have heard people in the Haven ask for many more things than a can of Coke and their requests are met. Mr. Del Rio, if and when you relax your new policy you know where to find us.

Can see future cruises when people will complain that they cannot bring their own pot on the ship and will complain about the prices and products available. Why should I have to buy Panama Red when I'm going to Acapulco? Must I spend a week without Acapulco Gold?:D

I totally agree. The way some, who have an issue with the policy, were posting, I thought there would be news crews reporting on thousands of folks up in arms, making a fuss, drinking or pouring out all their water or soda to hold up the lines, screaming, yelling, etc., but none of that happened. From the reports coming back, there doesn't really seem to be that big an issue with the policy from the majority.

In fact, of the discussions I've had on this cruise with people, people seem to be happy that others aren't bringing on litres of liquor disguised as water. Fewer people getting completely wasted on their litres of smuggled booze can only be a good thing, making it a more pleasant cruising experience.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

You are correct that it is the individual's Choice whether to book the cruise but it is a little unfair to change the parameters of the cruise after payment has been made. It is also concerning when changes are made by a cruise line without regard to the response of their customers. I have cruised 23 times with Carnival Cruise Line and on my last few cruises with them, 4 since October 2015, I was less than pleased with several changes they had instituted and I voiced my objections and concerns. When my objections and concerns were ignored I quit sailing with them and have since sailed twice with Norwegian. I do prefer Diet Coke and do not like Pepsi however that one change is not enough to make me leave Norwegian but if the changes continue to take place and multiply and if my objections and concerns are ignored as they were with Carnival then Norwegian will also lose a very valuable customer. It may sound odd to call myself a very valuable customer but I think most Cruise Lines would consider someone who has already Cruised 6 times since October 2015 and who already has another Cruise booked for October 2016 to be a very valuable customer. But to give Norwegian their due I just arrived home from spending a week in the Haven and it was heavenly!

Edited by Jana60

It is also concerning when changes are made by a cruise line without regard to the response of their customers. I have cruised 23 times with Carnival Cruise Line and on my last few cruises with them, 4 since October 2015, I was less than pleased with several changes they had instituted and I voiced my objections and concerns. When my objections and concerns were ignored I quit sailing with them and have since sailed twice with Norwegian.
They can't change their policies based on every objection that they received. I know we all want things "our way", but that isn't going to happen. Should NCL change their policy because a few have an issue with it or should they go with the fact that the majority doesn't seem to have any issues? There are a lot of things I would love to change with regards to businesses that I do business with, but I realize that they are not in business to just cater to me, so if I can live with their business practices I do and if I can't, I simply don't do business with them. I'd bet NCL has the figure down to a few percentage points off how many customers they would lose with this policy and they also know that for every one that leaves, there will be someone to replace them.

This is HILLARIOUS!!!!

If it doesnt effect me its not important and I dont care to hear about it!!!!!

What everyone should be focused on is the fact that someone would pay for a PH and then have to pay for their water ----CRAZY!!!!!! :eek:

FRANK

This is HILLARIOUS!!!!

If it doesnt effect me its not important and I dont care to hear about it!!!!!

What everyone should be focused on is the fact that someone would pay for a PH and then have to pay for their water ----CRAZY!!!!!! :eek:

FRANK

I cruise in aft penthouses and I've always gotten a liter of water, plus it was replaced on the one cruise where I drank it all.

Where do these statistics come from ??

Read the threads. Look at the author of anti-NCL comments. Get the picture? go to other, similar threads. One could almost publish a "who's who of not cruising NCL but constantly complaining about them on threads in fruitless effort to convince others that NCL sucks way bad" . Come on, Swedish Weave.

And I will admit- my statement of 50% was not cruised by any scientific means other than my ability to read.

And I still haven't received my email from NCL

Edited by Annmeat

FRANK

Just got off Pearl - We had a 1 liter in our suite on arrival.

But your statement is way off base. You never "have to pay for water"

Water is available for free whenever and wherever you want.

I drank "free" water at every meal in every specialty restaurant.

Read the threads. Look at the author of anti-NCL comments. Get the picture? go to other, similar threads. One could almost publish a "who's who of not cruising NCL but constantly complaining about them on threads in fruitless effort to convince others that NCL sucks way bad" . Come on, Swedish Weave.

And I will admit- my statement of 50% was not cruised by any scientific means other than my ability to read.

And I still haven't received my email from NCL

Is it possible that those who think NCL is making bad moves have as much right to voice their opinions as those who think NCL walks on water ??

In fact, of the discussions I've had on this cruise with people, people seem to be happy that others aren't bringing on litres of liquor disguised as water. Fewer people getting completely wasted on their litres of smuggled booze can only be a good thing, making it a more pleasant cruising experience.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Seems like your cruise is being spent online.

In that case, I'm still waiting

We are under 90 days now and I haven't received notice from NCL about the new policy. A few weeks ago they sent me notice that the Miami departure would be delayed to 7pm. They also just sent me an email reminding me it was 90 days and time to start booking activities.:rolleyes:

I thought bringing water bottles on board was a security issue? ARE YOU NOT SCARED FOR YOUR LIFE! Clearly this is a major breach in security protocol.

Come on everybody we all know what this is about. It might be a slight security issue. Honestly it's all about's people smuggling alcohol. We all seen it. We all know someone who's done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app