Mendenhall viewing

lneilan

What is the best way to see Mendenhall from the water? If I go on the Tracy's Arm cruise, as we come back would we see it then?
I don't think so. Mendenhall is about 12 miles NW of Juneau and Tracy Arm is about 50 miles SE. Also, the only water that Mendenhall is on is its own meltwater lake. Maybe a flight excursion will detour over Mendenhall on the way back to Juneau.

357ppqd.jpg

Edited by jtl513

What is the best way to see Mendenhall from the water? If I go on the Tracy's Arm cruise, as we come back would we see it then?

As another poster mentioned, you won't see it on your way back from TA. If you want to see it from the water, I think there are canoe trips and float trips. I haven't taken either of those so can't comment on how suitable they would be. Nor can I comment on whether you would have time after your TA cruise.

We have never seen it from the water, but have 1) taken a bus to the park (very inexpensive) to view from the ranger station and across a small lake and 2) helicopter flyover and landing on it (expensive but something you will never forget).

I did the Tracy Arm tour from the ship, and we returned late afternoon---maybe around 4:00 PM? I remember having time to do some shopping in town, but not a lot more before it was time to come in from the day to rest up and get ready for dinner.

Depending on time of year (amount of daylight), whether or not it's a sunny or cloudy day, and the bus schedule, you should have time to go out to Mendenhall, but you might not see much. The Park station closes early.

You wont see it from Tracy Arm....or the port of Juneau Its a cheap taxi or local bus that runs to the parking area. There is also a series of boardwalks and nature trails from the visitor center. Last time there were a bunch of black bears running around totaly casual to the visitors.

Seeing it from a canoe is poor and has a poor perspective..

Helo is a very expensive option.

If your sailing rt from Seattle....and want to see and walk on glaciers...head 80 miles south of the airport to Mount Rainier National Park... Paradise Visitor center Or 140 miles north to Mount Baker.

Glaciers at both will exceed your Alaska experience

Have fun

We took a private Whale Watching Tour in Auke Bay. On the way back to Juneau, the driver stopped to let everyone out for while at the Mendenhall Glacier vantage area. We had time to hike to Nugget Falls and see the Glacier. Highly recommend the Nature House as well, their glacier presentation is excellent. The driver returned to pick us up and dropped us off at the ship's shuttle. There are also town busses that make the trip from Juneau to the observation place. These run regularly and are reasonably priced ( inexpensive). If you go to the Alaska board, more details will be available.

and one of the lenses from my glasses fell out on the ice. Luckily they were sun sensor and after a few minutes it turned dark and I was able to find it and had it put back in my glasses on the ship at the jewelry area.

If your sailing rt from Seattle....and want to see and walk on glaciers...head 80 miles south of the airport to Mount Rainier National Park... Paradise Visitor center Or 140 miles north to Mount Baker.

Glaciers at both will exceed your Alaska experience

My husband and I will be taking a red eye from Seatac the day we come back from Alaska. We are planning to rent a car and drive to Mount Rainier. From your post, it appears it is a good decision. Would you to hear more about that if you have any suggestions.

OP - My husband and I went on an excursion to Auke Lake as well with the stop by Mendenhall that was really beautiful

There are at least a couple of tours that take you to the glacier by boat, then down the river for a distance. You can see one of the tour boats in the photo below. Here's a tour website:

https://www.bestofalaskatravel.com/alaska_day_tours/pages/j_mendenhall_glacier_float.htm

I doubt that you'd have time for both this and TA.

Glacier:

2gxqqh0.jpg

Closer View of Boat

10yf52g.jpg

You can't see Mendenhall from the ship and certainly not on the way back from Tracy's {sic} Arm. Do a few Google searches and go on Google Maps to see why.

DON

I'm having a similar situation with Mendenhall. We are taking the Tracy Arm excursion from our ship. It departs at 930 and takes five and a half hours, so I'm figuring back to Juneau to meet our ship at about 3 or 3:30. Our ship is in Juneau until 10 pm, but it is tendering so I'm figuring we will have to be back by nine. I'm hoping we can catch a cab or shuttle to Mendenhall, walk to the falls, then walk to the area where there are sometimes bears and get a cab back to the port since by then the shuttles will have stopped running. It seems as if the taxi is about $30 one way. I'm hoping this is doable.

What I'm saying is that taxi sounds like a decent option if they're dependable.

Bella0714, also have a look on the Alaska forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=55

and maybe use the Search function for the various ways to get to Mendenhall. I think that you will need to phone for a cab to come pick you up at Mendenhall if it is late in the day. Also, you may have to wait a while for it to arrive.

Again, check on the Alaska forum there is a lot of info there.

SO, did you think the tracy arm cruise was a good choice or would you have rather have had more time in Juneau?

Personally, I would much rather take the ride up Tracy Arm than go out to Mendenhall Glacier. That glacier has retreated so much since I first saw her that unless it's the first time you have seen a glacier, it is not impressive. There will be other glaciers on the cruise.

However, there is a whole lot to do in and around Juneau. You have to decide what matters, what you can see in the day, and what should wait for the next time.

There WILL be a next time! :D

My husband and I will be taking a red eye from Seatac the day we come back from Alaska. We are planning to rent a car and drive to Mount Rainier. From your post, it appears it is a good decision. Would you to hear more about that if you have any suggestions.

OP - My husband and I went on an excursion to Auke Lake as well with the stop by Mendenhall that was really beautiful

I've lived in the Seattle area for 28 years and a visit to Mount Rainier is definitely worth it!

Washington State is the 2nd most glaciated state in the US - though our 450 km2 of glaciers seems pretty paltry compared to Alaska's 90,000 km2 of glaciers! That being said, we do have some remarkable glaciers, and while they do not compare in size and volume to the Alaskan ones you may see on a cruise, many of them are easy to get to by car and a short, easy hike. Mount Rainier in particular has over 25 glaciers.

The visitor center at Sunrise (northeast area of the mountain) - Leave plenty of time for sightseeing stops along the 14-mile drive from the turnoff at Highway 410. From Sunrise you can easily see:

Emmons Glacier (the largest glacier in the contiguous United States)- a short quarter of a mile walk from the Sunrise Visitor Center will take you a great viewing spot. Go another mile and a quarter or so, and you'll get to Shadow Lake (a lovely Alpine lake where you can see deer and mountain goats). From there it's moderately uphill to Glacier Overlook, a manmade platform where many, many, many photos of Mount Rainier are taken (maybe another quarter mile). You can see the Emmons Glacier in its entirety. From there you can return the way you came (for a total of 3 miles), or continue on and make a loop (for a total of 6 miles).

Winthrop Glacier can be seen from the Sunrise area of the park. If you want to hike it, from Sunrise, you can hike to the glacier along the Wonderland Trail (this is a pretty long, moderately strenuous hike).

Paradise Valley visitor center (southwest area of the mountain about 14 miles east of Elbe on Route 706, then about 17 miles to the parking lot) merits a stop just on its own. Note that the parking area (an upper and lower lot) at Paradise is not that big and fills up. Get there before noon (well before noon if it's a weekend) if you want a parking spot!

Nisqually Glacier - take the paved Nisqually Vista Trail in Paradise, which starts from the western end of lower parking lot. It's a 1.2 mile loop with an astounding view of the Nisqually Glacier and its classic U-shaped valley, and imagine when the Nisqually Glacier filled this valley with ice.

Paradise Glacier - start out at the trailhead for Skyline Trail next to Paradise Inn. Paved for half a mile so, you're surrounded by a wildflower meadow and towering views of Mount Rainier. Then it's a well maintained dirt and occasionally gravel path. The Paradise Glacier Trail (.7 miles long) ends at the glacier. You'll also have amazing views of Goat Rocks, Mount St. Helens and even Mount Adams (on a clear day).

Note: There are many old, decommissioned trails in the area. Stay on the main paths at all times.

Note #2: check the visitor centers for current trail conditions and maps!

We booked an independent kayak excursion in Mendenhall Lake on our last cruise to Alaska. The operator picked us up at the dock and took us to the lake. We were outfitted with our equipment and given instruction. We were on our own on the lake. We enjoyed seeing the glacier from a different perspective, although we did heed the warnings and stayed the appropriate distance away from the glacier's face and away from ice bergs.