1st time HAL, 1st time Alaska

aloha_DC

Hi Everyone,

I spent a few hours yesterday reading through the HAL forum and first wanted to say I really appreciate all the time you all take to share your advice and experiences.

I'm going on my first HAL cruise to Alaska with my parents (70s), brother and sister in law (30s), and niece (3) and nephew (5), a round trip from Seattle in a couple weeks.

I have a few questions:

1. We have Explore 4, for the signature beverage package, can we use this to get large bottles of water from the bars?

2. Can we use the drink package to get cocktails in the main dining room and specialty restaurants?

3. Can you swim in the pool on the July Alaska cruises? I see the roof can close but not sure if it's warm enough?

4. Any tips or advice for Alaska cruise with little kids?

Thanks!

AK weather is unpredictable - you might hit a cool/rainy week or a hot week. And of course it depends on what your preferred pool water temperature is. :)

Edited by jtl513

On our Alaska cruise I was in the Lido pool when it was cool to chilly - the roof was either completely closed or had a small opening. On warm days in Sitka and Ketchikan we swam in the aft (uncovered) Seaview pool.

We just got back yesterday, it was fantastic. There is a kids club for the kiddos, they were amazing. My kids swam the whole time, even when it was a little chilly. The pool water was very warm. Bring something to keep the kids entertained for dinner. I'm sure mom and dad know this, but its hard for kids to stay focused during an hour and a half meal.

Rather than packing a lot of stuff to layer under a necessary wind/water resistant jacket - I'd wait to get to the ports of call to buy the kids Alaska sweatshirts or long sleeve Alaska shirts as souvenirs. We did that and still smile when one of us pulls one out to wear when the weather gets cool.

Another answer for #3.

While in Glacier Bay on our cruise, the Niew Amsterdam crew held an activity entitled "Swimming in Glacier Bay." I believe it was in the mid 50's F. Of course they needed to parade around for fun before dunking. Participants received a certificate. It was a fun time!

50680c37-6f3d-4347-9365-0b4127045c62_zpse648lvb6.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions:

4. Any tips or advice for Alaska cruise with little kids?

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Holland America Line.

Here is a link to the kid's activities we had on board in 2015 that are typical of Alaska cruises:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-3-7.pdf

Here is the kids Manhattan Dining Room Menu although they can also order from the adult menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/HAL-Kids-Menu.pdf

We had the Explore 4 on our last AK cruise .. unless it has changed, it gives you up to 15 drinks a day .. my sister-in-law and her friend discovered they could imbibe beaucoup piña coladas and still not hit 15 in one day.

harry

Just got off the Westerdam 7 night Alaska cruise on Saturday. Lots of kids and they used the pools the entire trip and seemed to be having a great time. We had the Explore 4 package and we could have up to 15 drinks a day. We used it to get large bottle waters each day, coffee drinks, as well as bar drinks. Never got close to the limit but it was nice to have. Enjoy your trip.