No medical waivers honored! Past final payment

EOSapril11

I have no problem getting a doctor's note. I called to see if there was a waiver/form that I or the dr had to fill out as well. I called to see what was needed. I already called our dr & can get a note but no one at the access would tell me the procedure. Getting the note is not the issue. Will just a note suffice?? Give it to whom?? Just at the pier?? Emailed/scanned/mailed/faxed to someone before we sail??????? I'VE GOTTEN NO ANSWERS as of yet. 2 phone calls, waiting for a supervisor to call me back & email sent. If it was as simple as getting a dr note I would have no problem but what do I do with it????

I'm a little surprised. Remember, it isn't just a doctor's note saying you need to drink bottled water, you will need a note stating that the bottled water they offer won't work, but that bottled water you bring with you will. I'd be curious to see how a doctor would make that distinction a medical necessity.

Although I believe that NCL should do the right thing and either let her bring the water onboard (or for security reasons, give her a discount on the water to purchase on ship) since the rule change came after final payment, I have wondered since I began reading this thread - why did't the OP already get a doctor's note? There are too many scammers in this world, a doctor's note will bring credibility to her story and provide her with a professional back-up for her claim.

I would also have the doctor state exactly how many liters of water are needed.

NCL may be actively reading this thread. They just sent an email to me retracting what I posted above, saying it was sent in error. They further explained that if the item is available onboard (such as water and soda), an exception to the policy would not be made, regardless if there is a doctor's note or not. The timing could also just be a coincidence.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

I'VE GOTTEN NO ANSWERS as of yet. 2 phone calls, waiting for a supervisor to call me back & email sent. If it was as simple as getting a dr note I would have no problem but what do I do with it????

Please, take a breather. If you're actively working with a SAC then just let the process work it's way through. This might take a day or two, or three. I'd bet $1 they're discussing some of these issues internally to create some internal guidelines because of the new public policy. This happens all the time.

Realistically, noon tomorrow should be your next followup, unless they contact you first.

To remind, they people you're dealing with really want to help you so please give working with them a chance.

NCL may be actively reading this thread. They just sent an email to me retracting what I posted above, saying it was sent in error. They further explained that if the item is available onboard (such as water and soda), an exception to the policy would not be made, regardless if there is a doctor's note or not. The timing could also just be a coincidence.

I guess to them, by not providing any exceptions, even to one person, no one could claim that they are being treated differently than anyone else. However, they should have allowed people whom have passed final payment date to be grandfathered - but I don't think they are going to listen to me.

I guess to them, by not providing any exceptions, even to one person, no one could claim that they are being treated differently than anyone else. However, they should have allowed people whom have passed final payment date to be grandfathered - but I don't think they are going to listen to me.

I can't imagine how that would work at the pier, logistically. It would be a nightmare!

I can't imagine how that would work at the pier, logistically. It would be a nightmare!

This could be done. All cruises departing prior to Nov 1( 120 payment date for suites) are grandfathered in. Yes, some book last minute, but this would have saved a lot of aggravation. Anyone not liking the new policy, including those with a earlier final date due to being in a suite, would have the ability to cancel. For you choose not to cancel, too bad. Then you are stuck.

It would have significantly cut down on phone calls, emails, etc. there's only 2 final payment dates and they could have calculated that from the date of their announcement.

I have 12 cruises with NCL and here are my thoughts:

Like the op's husband I have special dietary needs from a disability and have always carried on an 8 pack of Powerade and powdered Propel. Powdered Propel is made by Gatorade and is sold by Wal-Mart. I use a 2 liter insulated hydration fluid bladder for going off of the ship. I suspect your husband could carry a fluid bladder around the shipl in a holder. I can drink the ship's water so I use the ship water to make the fluid bladder the night before and put the bladder in the fridge overnight so it is cold in the morning.

Has anyone tried a portable military style water purification system to remove the salt in the ship's water? I see several are available on Amazon. This might be a solution to the ship's bottled water.

I have found in the past NCL has been very accommodating towards disabilities. I suspect the special needs desk is flooded with requests right now. I don't believe the department is very large. Give them some time.

If you have to buy the NCL water you could request a refund for your gratuities to even out the expenses. I think you have a family of 4 so the DSC is more than the expense of the bottled water.

At first I was p**d by the announcement but as I ponder my choices I think I can still cruise by bringing on powdered Powerade and Propel and 2 or 3 empty bottles plus the fluid bladder. If NCL tries to ban fluid bladders or powdered drinks than I would be out.

I have found in the past companies will say no accommodations to get rid of the scammers. I be persistent but nice to the people and often say I am hoping not to get lawyers involved. I often get thanked for not getting lawyers involved or ripping the heads off of the special needs staff.

NCL would only have to offer a$100 OBC that would take care of most of the additional expenses due to the change in NCL policy. No red tape. But if you start swearing off cruise lines because of disappointments you will find you will run out of cruise lines.

Has anyone tried a portable military style water purification system to remove the salt in the ship's water? I see several are available on Amazon. This might be a solution to the ship's bottled water.

I have found in the past companies will say no accommodations to get rid of the scammers. I be persistent but nice to the people and often say I am hoping not to get lawyers involved. I often get thanked for not getting lawyers involved or ripping the heads off of the special needs staff.

As far as I know, water purification systems or tablets only remove impurities. You can't remove salt by filtering. The only way to remove salt would be by distillation or reverse osmosis, and I don't think those systems are easy to bring onboard.

And I do agree that people always find ways to cheat the system, hence the zero tolerance policies. See the suggestion upthread to say you need water for your baby formula (when you don't have a baby) as an example. The actions of a few dishonest people (waaaaaa, my kid has ADHD, he needs a pass to skip all lines at the amusement park) often lead to a negative effect on the great majority of others who are trying to follow the rules and norms of society.

Actually Bill, the restriction DOES, in fact, specify that an infant be present.

From the FAQ on the policy:

If I need to bring water or milk onboard for a medical reason or infant, what’s the process?

Guests who have special needs or medical requirements should contact the access desk at
Families with infants
who require water for formula or milk should advise the security team during embarkation and those items will be inspected at the check point.

It doesn't state that the infant must be present !!!

As far as I know, water purification systems or tablets only remove impurities. You can't remove salt by filtering. The only way to remove salt would be by distillation or reverse osmosis, and I don't think those systems are easy to bring onboard.

And I do agree that people always find ways to cheat the system, hence the zero tolerance policies. See the suggestion upthread to say you need water for your baby formula (when you don't have a baby) as an example. The actions of a few dishonest people (waaaaaa, my kid has ADHD, he needs a pass to skip all lines at the amusement park) often lead to a negative effect on the great majority of others who are trying to follow the rules and norms of society.

What could be more dishonest and negative than the BS being implemented by NCL ??

When faced with adversity, all avanues should be explored to turn it into a positive !!!

Edited by swedish weave

As I said earlier ---- I may decide to identify as an infant for this purpose (temporarily).

That is OK if you are traveling with a parent. If not you'd need a note from them authorizing you to travel.

Either way...have fun in the guppies program!

NCL would only have to offer a$100 OBC that would take care of most of the additional expenses due to the change in NCL policy. No red tape. But if you start swearing off cruise lines because of disappointments you will find you will run out of cruise lines.

If I couldn't find a cruise line to suit my needs I'd be happy with land vacations. (I know that is heresy round these parts:).)

Those are the exact systems cruise ships use to remove the salt from the water.

Hi EOSapril11.

I can tell by the tenor of this thread that you are really getting upset. Don't put your enjoyment of a $10,000 vacation at risk over a $200-$300 charge, even if you are right. It is not worth it. Just let it go.

You will meet the Hotel Director at the CC Meet & Greet. Quietly take him aside and privately let him know about your frustration. He is the final arbiter of customer service onboard and will find a way to make you happy. If he doesn't do that, then feel free to rip NCL after your cruise.

Happy sailing!

Still waiting for my callback from the access desk supervisor..but to clarify:

The other drink is Gatorade due to it's electrolyte content. Can not be powerade. They told me they have Gatorade--hope so.

So yes, they have both drinks on board. They however, did not ask what the other drink was initially denying me to get a medical waiver.

My point is that my cruise just INCREASED $200-300 because of a dietary issue. I read CC all the time for great cruise tips. We cruise every year. Most people look for ways to save or get upgrades or price drops. Mine just went up for a MEDICAL ISSUE that I thought we could take care of ourselves & bring what we need with us.

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, but on our last cruise, my husband purchased Gatorade from the vending machine in the gym on the second day of our cruise. For the rest of the week the machine was empty. He reported it to the attendant in the gym and at Guest Services multiple times but it was never refilled. He finally gave up.

I hope that Norwegian is prepared for the additional sales of water and other drinks that they have forbidden their guests to bring on the ship. These are a necessity for a lot of people who can't drink tap water due to the high sodium level. I would think that they will be responsible for any medical issues that occur as a result of not providing a product that they said would be readily available.

I can find no references that indicate desalinated( salt removed) water on cruise ships has more salt than bottled water. I have found several academic articles stating that it is more pure than bottled water. Do the cruise ships use reverse osmosis? Flash vaporization? In both cases the sodium/ salt is removed, lost minerals reintroduced, etc.

I spoke with Mom's cardiologist several hours ago. He said that the salt content of the food is a much greater concern than the, and these are her words,"alleged sodium- filled ship's water". Other factors such as heat, excessive alcohol, saltier air ( yup- you are breathing it and it gets in to your system) etc contribute to the swelling seen in cruise passengers. Also said that the ship water is perfectly safe for anyone . He did recommend that the immunosuppressed seek other forms of vacationing and that women of child bearing age avoid the Caribbean if they plan to become pregnant in the next 24 months. Zina.

he is at Johns-Hopkins, trust him implicitly.

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, but on our last cruise, my husband purchased Gatorade from the vending machine in the gym on the second day of our cruise. For the rest of the week the machine was empty. He reported it to the attendant in the gym and at Guest Services multiple times but it was never refilled. He finally gave up.

I hope that Norwegian is prepared for the additional sales of water and other drinks that they have forbidden their guests to bring on the ship. These are a necessity for a lot of people who can't drink tap water due to the high sodium level. I would think that they will be responsible for any medical issues that occur as a result of not providing a product that they said would be readily available.

Gatorade is very high in sodium. Athletes deplete sodium and other electrolytes. Gatorade has 450 mg/liter, Powerade has 224 mg/ liter. Gatorade is not a low sodium alternative to water!

Gatorade is very high in sodium. Athletes deplete sodium and other electrolytes. Gatorade has 450 mg/liter, Powerade has 224 mg/ liter. Gatorade is not a low sodium alternative to water!

No, but it does have electrolytes that my husband needs since he does not have a large intestine. This is not just about bottled water. It's a long thread but all the info is there about why we bring our own drinks on board.

It's none of our business what the second drink is. The bottled water is a medical need so I don't understand why a medical waiver wouldn't work. The OP isn't trying to scam the system to save a few bucks. :rolleyes:

There is no medical need for bottled water, as tap water is safe to drink. If electrolytes are needed, there are powders that can be added to water.

My wife who is in the medical field suggests that you get a notarized letter from your Doctor of your needs. Contact NCL Guest Relations. Or have it faxed directly from your Doctors office. I would do this asap. Don't let them stall you. Don't take No for an answer.

That clearly gives the individual the strongest case. If the Doctor will in fact write one. However, keep in mind that they also may have it reviewed by their medical department and make the determination that there is not a medical need that cannot be met by items readily available on the ship, such as water and bottled water. The Gatorade requirement can be met by powder carry on.

The ship provides plenty of water that is inspected just like any municipal water system, so the medical requirement would have to be one that indicates such water to not be acceptable. One can bring a filter and refillable water bottles, thought based on the policy they might have to be emptied when boarding.

Bottled water is readily available, but at a cost. Medical necessity usually does not have a cost factor, only availability.

No, but it does have electrolytes that my husband needs since he does not have a large intestine. This is not just about bottled water. It's a long thread but all the info is there about why we bring our own drinks on board.

I would suspect from what you have described that he needs to consume large amounts of water to remain hydrated. The electrolytes are needed because you can actually have water toxicity if you drink too much water too soon and do not replace the electrolytes.

You can certainly try and get a Doctors note about needing bottled water, but I would ask the doctor if the ships water (chlorinated, desalinated by either flash vaporization or reverse osmosis) would be ok with or without a brita filter or similar.

If he says no then ask for a letter explaining exactly why. But again don't be surprised if it is declined by the ship.

I assume when you fly that he dumps out any liquid he is carrying through security and repurchases or refills the bottle once he is through security. Just use the same process on the ship. I would still have the letter just to avoid any issues if security wants you to dispose the empty

If the doctor feels that the ships water is satisfactory then you do not incur any cost for water. Only the need to refill the bottles.

You can ask the Doctor about powder vs premixed gatorade, but I would not expect an issue there.

Bottom line you can make this a huge issue with the only solution being carry on the water and liquid gatorade or you can see exactly how the problem can be solved according to your physician and only fight for what you absolutely must medically need.

If the doctor says that it absolutely must be bottled water and must be liquid gatorade and is willing to write a letter to that effect you can always show up at the port with it and see if they would block you from carrying it on board with the Doctors letter claiming necessity.

Edited by RDC1