Travel Insurance

kcherie924

Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance company. The one I usually use will charge almost $1,500.00 for basic plan. I think this is really high.

Thanks

Holy Buckeroo!

With prices like that, it is a much easier decision to NOT take out insurance. Insuremytrip.com is often a great place to look.

I have no idea how much your trip is costing, but that rate seems insane.

We usually just get the high end medical and evacuation coverage. Way cheaper than all the other stuff.

Much of the other stuff is often a bad bet (for us). People say they can not afford to pay for a trip and not go. Actually, you can. After all, you already paid for it. Mentally, it is difficult to pay for something that you do not use. I get that.

....We usually just get the high end medical and evacuation coverage. Way cheaper than all the other stuff.

Much of the other stuff is often a bad bet (for us). People say they can not afford to pay for a trip and not go. Actually, you can. After all, you already paid for it. Mentally, it is difficult to pay for something that you do not use. I get that.

I'm 100% in agreement with you. I carry a $100,000 medical evacuation and hospitalization policy which costs me $150/year (it was cheaper when I was under 65). Since I probably travel international 6 times a year, this pro-rates at $25 per trip. My supplemental medical covers me worldwide. I'll not be happy if I blow a trip I have paid for, but you're right, that money is already spent. I figure that the money I'd pay for travel insurance pays for a trip every two years. My luck will not hold out forever, but currently I am way ahead of the game.:) YMMV - if you have to get home quickly or have health issues, your analysis may differ.

Thom

We too get high end medical evacuation for $400 year for my husband & I as well as an annual medical policy for $400 year. Since we charge our travel with Chase Sapphire, most of the other things included are taken care of. The only downside I think ??? would be trip interruption in which we would have to fork out money to get home

We also travel outside the states about 3 times a year so it is definitely worth it to us.

There are many things I considered . I am in my 70's and husband in late 60's. I WANT GOOD COVERAGE! I buy primary coverage most offered are secondary. It is not cheap-better to be safe than sorry. I use Tavel Insured, and usually buy my own insurance . On occasions, if my travels are only in the states or on a Caribbean Cruise I will talk TA offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance company. The one I usually use will charge almost $1,500.00 for basic plan. I think this is really high.

Thanks

I always check on insuremytrip.com to shop around. I find that prices can vary quite widely. For small trips I don't bother with insurance, but with pricier trips I find it's worth the investment. I have had to use it a couple of times when a family member became very ill.

Check out the Tripinsurancestore.com. Steve and his crew are most helpful. They only sell policies from companies that they have vetted and will help you find the best coverage for your situation. Lots of good info on their site and there is an 800 number if you want to talk to someone.

I think one of the most important things is to shop for what's included not for cheapest. Especially if you're over 65. Medicare will not cover you outside of the U.S. and if you're visiting an emerging country where you don't speak the language you might really want to have evacuation coverage. Like everything else, you get what you pay for....just make sure you're getting what you need...and the older you are and the more expensive your trip is, the more your insurance will cost...

Hi we're both 52 with no pre-exiting health issues. Thanks for the insuremytrip

advice I love that I was able to compare side by side. Found what I was looking for at about half the price maybe less.

Excellent - Happy to help! I've always had very good experiences with them and the policies they sell (and it's nice to be able to look at the ratings).

There are many things I considered . I am in my 70's and husband in late 60's. I WANT GOOD COVERAGE! ... On occasions, if my travels are only in the states or on a Caribbean Cruise I will talk TA offerings...

Just curious, what is considered "GOOD COVERAGE"?

I ask as different people look to cover different things, such as:

Cancel

Cancel for any reason

Missed sailing

Missed or cancelled flight

Trip interruption

Lost Luggage

Health Insurance

Medical Evacuation

Life Insurance

And when you buy, are you looking for all of these, or just some of them (costs vary)

Edited by garycarla

Check out the Tripinsurancestore.com. Steve and his crew are most helpful. They only sell policies from companies that they have vetted and will help you find the best coverage for your situation. Lots of good info on their site and there is an 800 number if you want to talk to someone.

Steve is excellent and very knowlegable. And he will spend a lot of time analyzing the choices of insurance and recommend the best one for you. I have found him to be much more thorough and knowlegable than people at the other insurance websites. High medical evacuation insurance is important in case you have to be evacuated from a ship by air as I have seen on several of my cruises.

Just curious, what is considered "GOOD COVERAGE"?

I ask as different people look to cover different things, such as:

Cancel

Cancel for any reason

Missed sailing

Missed or cancelled flight

Trip interruption

Lost Luggage

Health Insurance

Medical Evacuation

Life Insurance

And when you buy, are you looking for all of these, or just some of them (costs vary)

In order of importance:

1. You did not Include: Coverage for pre existing conditions

2. Medical Evacuation (Policy taken for April 2017 is $1,000,000.00)

3. Health Insurance (I want Primary Coverage, “Not Secondary”)

4. Cancel after final payment

5. Trip Interruption

6. Missed or cancelled flight & Missed Sailing (generally not a concern as we usually arrive at our embarkation destination at least a day in advance, or more)

7. Lost Luggage (Usually coverage will not begin to cover what is in a suitcase)

8. Life Insurance (If this comes with policy, OK, but if not I would not pay for it)

9. Cancel for Any Reason

I really do not care if policy covers from 6-9. Generally when you choose primary coverage, you will automatically be cover with the other items plus Car Rental Insurance. I like this company better http://www.QuoteWright.com than insuremytrip. I have used Quotewright in the past but now just go to Travel Insured. I have had several minor claims with Travel Insured in the past, and have gotten immediate response, and quick payment. They are one of the few companies that offer primary coverage.

I'm 100% in agreement with you. I carry a $100,000 medical evacuation and hospitalization policy which costs me $150/year (it was cheaper when I was under 65). Since I probably travel international 6 times a year, this pro-rates at $25 per trip. My supplemental medical covers me worldwide. I'll not be happy if I blow a trip I have paid for, but you're right, that money is already spent. I figure that the money I'd pay for travel insurance pays for a trip every two years. My luck will not hold out forever, but currently I am way ahead of the game.:) YMMV - if you have to get home quickly or have health issues, your analysis may differ.

Thom

I'd be interested in more info about your medical coverage. We already have evacuation through MedJet Assist, and I would be prepared to "self-insure" the cost of the trip -- but since Medicare doesn't work outside the US we need medical coverage until Medjet gets us out of Dodge.

In order of importance:

1. You did not Include: Coverage for pre existing conditions

2. Medical Evacuation (Policy taken for April 2017 is $1,000,000.00)

3. Health Insurance (I want Primary Coverage, “Not Secondary”)

4. Cancel after final payment

5. Trip Interruption

6. Missed or cancelled flight & Missed Sailing (generally not a concern as we usually arrive at our embarkation destination at least a day in advance, or more)

7. Lost Luggage (Usually coverage will not begin to cover what is in a suitcase)

8. Life Insurance (If this comes with policy, OK, but if not I would not pay for it)

9. Cancel for Any Reason

I really do not care if policy covers from 6-9. Generally when you choose primary coverage, you will automatically be cover with the other items plus Car Rental Insurance. I like this company better http://www.QuoteWright.com than insuremytrip. I have used Quotewright in the past but now just go to Travel Insured. I have had several minor claims with Travel Insured in the past, and have gotten immediate response, and quick payment. They are one of the few companies that offer primary coverage.

Something else that I never thought of until it happened to someone on a trip we were on and that is repatriation of remains. I had no idea the expense that was involved if someone passes away in a foreign country....and this was Canada...I can't imagine if it were someplace really far away like Russia, China, Australia the cost must be staggering.

....I had no idea the expense that was involved if someone passes away in a foreign country.....

I hope my family has the sense to do a local cremation and let me ride along n the cabin one last time.

(With all due respect to those that would not do cremation)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I hope my family has the sense to do a local cremation and let me ride along n the cabin one last time.

(With all due respect to those that would not do cremation)

Actually that is what the funeral director recommended in this case. Because of the cost of embalming plus buying a casket and shipping container and airline freight charges and a funeral direct o r to receive the remains when they arrived home, plus fees for everyone involved, the surviving spouse would have spent well over $50,000. Cremation was done and deceased flew home first class in carry on. The whole situation started the conversation and like you, DH and I have that in writing with our travel docs.

I'd be interested in more info about your medical coverage. We already have evacuation through MedJet Assist, and I would be prepared to "self-insure" the cost of the trip -- but since Medicare doesn't work outside the US we need medical coverage until Medjet gets us out of Dodge.

Some of us are fortunate enough to have health insurance in addition to regular Medicaid. We have a "Medicare Replacement" policy from my former employer. Low or no copays for office visits, treatments, and hospitalization as long as we pay our Part B premium. That primary policy has reimbursed for infirmary costs on ocean going cruises and a doctor visit abroad (less my copay). If one has a supplemental insurance or something other that "vanilla" Medicare, it is worth checking coverage.

Have you considered a multi trip evacuation policy combined with a medical policy? That's an option if you self insure (or have credit card coverage) for trip cancellation, interruption, etc.

Some of us are fortunate enough to have health insurance in addition to regular Medicaid. We have a "Medicare Replacement" policy from my former employer. Low or no copays for office visits, treatments, and hospitalization as long as we pay our Part B premium. That primary policy has reimbursed for infirmary costs on ocean going cruises and a doctor visit abroad (less my copay). If one has a supplemental insurance or something other that "vanilla" Medicare, it is worth checking coverage.

Have you considered a multi trip evacuation policy combined with a medical policy? That's an option if you self insure (or have credit card coverage) for trip cancellation, interruption, etc.

I have a plan from my former employer that covers the 20% that Medicare doesn't pay and the dreaded "donut hole." They also reimburse my Part B premiums. But their plan strictly follows Medicare's decisions: if Medicare pays 80%, they pay 20%; if Medicare pays nothing, they pay nothing. So on trips I need medicare coverage for everything. I have researched this a little and never found anything like it, so we keep getting a policy for each international trip -- and with 3 major trips a year that adds up!

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Actually that is what the funeral director recommended in this case. Because of the cost of embalming plus buying a casket and shipping container and airline freight charges and a funeral direct o r to receive the remains when they arrived home, plus fees for everyone involved, the surviving spouse would have spent well over $50,000. Cremation was done and deceased flew home first class in carry on. The whole situation started the conversation and like you, DH and I have that in writing with our travel docs.

I worry that my ashes would be scattered at an Airport Security Screening checkpoint and then dispersed around the world on people's sox.