Hits and misses on Anthem of the Seas

I’m a couple of days from completing our 9 day trip out of Bayonne to Bermuda, St. Maartin, San Juan and Labadee, and wanted to share some thoughts about the cruise. I’ll do a full review later, but since we’re out at sea right now I’ve got some time to put some thoughts down. As a bit of background, we’ve sailed RCI a few times (Sovereign, Vision, Anthem), but have more recently been on NCL ships to the Caribbean (Epic) and Alaska (Jewel). This is my first time on a RCI “mega-ship”, and a lot of my opinions are in comparison to my experience on the NCL ships, especially the Epic. This trip is fairly full (from what I understand, about 5k pax) which could be impacting our experience as well. We are also the trip where the 8yo boy was found in the pool, prompting a return to Bayonne on the first day, but that’s a totally separate issue that doesn’t impact our review of RCI or the ship. So here goes…

Overall it’s been a great trip. The ship is beautiful and there are lots of things to do. The Solarium is fantastic, and the pools/tubs there combined with the large indoor and outdoor pools give you plenty of pools space. This is a marked improvement over the small pools on the Epic, but in its defense, the Epic had the great water slides that the Quantum class ships are lacking. We also love the Seaplex and all that it provides. The kids loved the bumper cars, roller skating, basketball games, parties, soccer matches, etc. that take place there. Great, great idea, RCI. The ping pong, foosball and xbox areas are a great addition there (except half the xbox stations were broken), as was the hotdog stand. Thumbs up.

The rooms are very comfortable and well laid out. We are in a balcony room on deck 11 and have no complaints at all, other than some issues with the AC on two occasions that were worked out (once it wouldn’t cool and had to be “rebooted”, and the other time the AC wouldn’t shut off and had to be reprogrammed). The beds, while a bit hard, are comfortable with great sheets, and we love the charging options at the desk with the two plugs and two USB charging ports. There’s lots of storage, great lighting, and the overlapping curtains keeps the room fairly dark when desired. The rooms are also fairly well sound-proofed as well. The Epic is the gold standard on sound proofing, and this is a close second. You still can hear idiots running in the halls or talking outside your door at 2am (jerks…lol), but you don’t hear the neighbor’s TV or conversations. Overall, lovely rooms.

The layout of the ship take a little getting used to, but that’s pretty normal with ships. Once you’re on it a few days you can find your way around fairly well. The extensive signage helps (there’s a ship may at every elevator area), but the huge touch screen boards spread around the ship that allow you to find things, view events, etc. don’t work well. Also, the food that we’ve had has been good. This includes the one time we’ve sat down at a restaurant with servers (more on that later) and the sushi we had at the specialty restaurant. Really no complaints there. The Lavazza coffee is excellent – strong and rich – and the variety of flavored waters and tea is nice. No complaints at all on our ability to get something good to drink on the ship.

Oh, I have to give kudos to the Voom internet wifi system on the ship. It was fairly bulletproof and adequately fast. I can’t comment on the price ($13/day for basic, and $18 for streaming) because it was included in our package, but it’s been great to use. My family stays in touch using Facebook Messenger on the ship and it’s worked out great.

Like I said, overall we are having a nice time, and the ship is great. However, there are some issues that need to be raised so people know what they’re getting into when booking with RCI or on this ship. I won’t dig into too many details, but can elaborate on these if needed:

My #1 issue is that it’s virtually impossible to get a sit-down dinner in a free dining room. Yes, the ship has a lot of people on it, but being told day after day that there are NO reservations available at any of the non-pay sitdown restaurants (unless you’re a party of 2 that wants to eat at 9:15pm), plus being turned away as a “walk up” at all of the restaurants and being forced to eat at the buffet is just wrong. NCL does it right, in my view. Specialty (pay) restaurants require reservations, but the main dining rooms are walk up. We never, ever had an issue strolling up to a restaurant for dinner on NCL. That’s why they call it freestyle. Well, RCI had tried to mimic this approach and has failed miserably. You can’t just walk up to a restaurant and eat. Plus, if you don’t reserve in advance of the trip, it can be hard to even get a table AT ALL in a main dining room. While the buffet is good, it’s the same food every night (zero change, unlike NCL), and limited seating (and inconsiderate guests taking up tables playing cards, etc.) means I ended up on way too many nights eating buffet food in my room. Fix this, RCI. How about devoting less space to high end watch and r stores and using more space providing a good sit down meal to your passengers? Just a thought.

The same applies to the activities on board. Weeks in advance of the trip, reservations for the iFly skydive simulator were closed. On the phone RCI said they would open it up for reservations again on the ship. Well, guess what. First day on the ship we went there to make reservations, and none were available for any day. Very frustrating. You have a great new attraction that’s unavailable to most passengers. Even more frustrating is that it sat idle for all but a couple of hours per day. How about a couple more instructors or more hours to handle demand?

Their systems are messed up. Their Royal IQ application shows a couple of things we had booked, but other things are listed wrong, and most things are just missing. If you go to the customer service desk they will print out a list of your reservations (shows, excursions, etc.), but on the TV and the application things are just wrong. The staff on the ship told us that they always have issues with this. RCI needs to either fix the systems or stop making them available. It’s got to be a customer service desk nightmare when the TV and app show something totally different that what’s really booked.

Here’s where I get a bit testy. We’ve paid around $25k for the 5 rooms we have for this trip. That’s $25k to have an enjoyable trip, inclusive of meals, destinations and entertainment. What we seem to have gotten for that $25k is also becoming an open target for the non-stop selling of every type of products and services that you can imagine. Seriously, RCI, if I wanted all this crap that you’re pushing on me I would have just gone to a shopping mall. A MASSIVE amount of space on the ship, on the TV, in the Cruise Compass and even in their port on Labadee is dedicated to selling me more stuff. How about some more places to eat instead of another high end jewelry shop? You can’t get around decks 4 and 5 due tables set up selling junk watches, purses, hats, shirts, etc. at $10 a pop. Where I really get angry what we faced on Labadee. We had an outstanding time doing the wave runner excursion (the highlight of the trip with my family), the roller coaster, the water park, etc., but the dozens of “local artisan” shacks with sellers following you trying to get your attention (“hey mister, come to my booth!”) is too much. Yes, if I’m on the beach in St. Maarten, I expect locals to come by offering me products. They did, and were respectful of my space when I said “no thank” you. However, having this hoard of sellers in this area CONTROLLED BY RCI is inexcusable, IMO. I saw so many people harassed as they tried to walk out to Columbus Cove that I got disgusted by the whole thing. This is a problem, RCI, and you need to fix it.

Here’s the thing I’m writing a letter to RCI about. My 21yo son has Asperger’s Syndrome. He went with us on the Wave Runner trip, and he drove his own wave runner. We were having a great time, and did overall. However, as part of the “tour”, the guide had us stop and regroup in a small bay where locals (I assume) paddled out in kayaks with their boats full of crap to sell to the tourists. They grabbed our wave runners and offered their products. One grabbed my leg so he could pull himself closer. It was very difficult to get them to leave us alone. “no thank you” just made them work harder. I found out later that one of the sellers harassed my son so bad that my son, to make him go away, paid $20 for some little wooden cup that was probably worth $1. The fact that the RCI guide INTENTIONALLY BROUGHT US TO THIS SPOT where these local merchants would paddle out to do this is patently unacceptable in my mind. We could have stopped anywhere. Hell, if we would have stopped 100 yards further away from the shore (like we had 4 other times), nobody would have paddled out. This was intentional, and I’m furious. It’s not about the money. I’d gladly give $20 to someone who needed it way more than I did, but the fact that RCI intentionally put us in this location where we were harassed by vendors, causing emotional pressure on my son (in fact, he’s still feeling very upset about this) is wrong. They need to stop doing this – immediately.

Ok..back to something I’m less pissed off about. 

There are plenty of other things that need to be addressed, like broken equipment (foosball tables, xbox, shuffleboard poles, etc.) even though it’s a very new ship. I would imagine this stuff gets a lot of use though, so I can understand that it’s hard to keep up with maintaining it. Oh…don’t drink on the ship unless you rob a bank first. My wife and I went to a show (a Boston cover band that was great) and two margaritas cost us nearly $40 ($12 each plus 18% tip). Couldn’t even detect any booze in them. *sigh*. My wife also noted that the gym is very small and not very well equipped for a ship this size, unlike the EPIC which was amazing.

So, believe it or not, even after that ranting we’re having a great time. The ship is great (for the most part), the ports have been wonderful and fun (for the most part), the weather has been awesome, and all of the entertainment has been top notch. I’d give the whole thing a solid B, but clearly there are things that need to be fixed.

Way, way, way too much trying to sell us stuff. From spa services to jewelry and watches to the complete cluster on Labadee. They also need to fix their ability to provide meals to their guests. I feel like they’re half way between traditional dining and NCL’s freestyle, and it’s not working. The rest of the stuff is just annoying and inconvenient and not a big deal. However, we’re unlikely to come back to RCI until they resolve their dining issues, and certainly won’t be going back to Labadee.

Your opinion and viewpoint are yours and valid. I am not in any way denying their validity.

Just wanted to comment.

I just don't walk in the area where the vendors are on Labadee.

Selling on the ship never bothers me. I just walk by.

I never had a problem eating in the complimentary restaurants, in more than six weeks on both Quantum and Anthem. I am truly sad that you did. Perhaps it was the size of your group, without prior reservations, that was the problem. (was your entire group trying to eat together?)

While I sympathize, there really isn't anything Royal can do about the local peddlers. If they move the stop the peddlers will figure out what the next best location is and just keep doing their thing. We had similar situations in St. Lucia on a private excursion, in Costa Rica on a non-cruise trip, and on another island, can't remember which one off hand. It's annoying, but they will always figure out where the tourists are and harass them.

I do definitely agree with the insane amount of selling items on board, and we haven't done any of the mega ships yet. We have set dining times on Anthem in August, but will have to do My Time Dining on Harmony in January and I'm a bit worried we won't be able to get tables, given your experience. Having to eat in the buffet every night would be a major downer

Your opinion and viewpoint are yours and valid. I am not in any way denying their validity.

Just wanted to comment.

I just don't walk in the area where the vendors are on Labadee.

Selling on the ship never bothers me. I just walk by.

I never had a problem eating in the complimentary restaurants, in more than six weeks on both Quantum and Anthem. I am truly sad that you did. Perhaps it was the size of your group, without prior reservations, that was the problem. (was your entire group trying to eat together?)

We even tried breaking our group into smaller ones to get reservations. No luck. The woman in reservations said that they have a capacity of about 1000 for each of the dining halls each night, but with 5000 on the ship it was a real problem for them to find a way to accommodate enough people. The Windjammer was packed too (long lines, no tables), so I guess this is a big problem at this level of guests.

While I sympathize, there really isn't anything Royal can do about the local peddlers. If they move the stop the peddlers will figure out what the next best location is and just keep doing their thing. We had similar situations in St. Lucia on a private excursion, in Costa Rica on a non-cruise trip, and on another island, can't remember which one off hand. It's annoying, but they will always figure out where the tourists are and harass them.

I do definitely agree with the insane amount of selling items on board, and we haven't done any of the mega ships yet. We have set dining times on Anthem in August, but will have to do My Time Dining on Harmony in January and I'm a bit worried we won't be able to get tables, given your experience. Having to eat in the buffet every night would be a major downer

Oh, they can certainly do something about the peddlers that I had issues with. On Labadee, RCI either owns or leases that entire facility. The vendors are invited to be there on the property. Also, the wave runner tour intentionally took us to an area where those vendors came out to sell to us. In fact, they had RCI staff back at the docks collecting cash from passengers that bought things from those kayak vendors since most didn't carry anything with them on the wave runners. It was fully condoned by the cruise line.

I agree in general about local vendors, and I have zero issues with the locals coming up to us on the beach on St. Maarten, etc. We know that's how they make their living (selling things, braiding hair, hawking beer, etc.). Most are very considerate and will move on after being politely told "no thank you" a couple of times.

I suggest you try to reserve times as much as possible to avoid having to eat in the buffet most of the time, especially if your cruise is pretty full. I really don't think RCI has this figured out yet.

Edited by sdmike

We even tried breaking our group into smaller ones to get reservations. No luck. The woman in reservations said that they have a capacity of about 1000 for each of the dining halls each night, but with 5000 on the ship it was a real problem for them to find a way to accommodate enough people. The Windjammer was packed too (long lines, no tables), so I guess this is a big problem at this level of guests.

What you are reporting from "the woman in reservations" would mean that 4,000 people per night night can be accommodated in the complimentary restaurants, since there are four of them. Passenger capacity of the Anthem is 4,180 double/4,905 max berths. Considering Coastal Kitchen and all of the for-fee restaurants, and the size of the Windjammer, you should not have encountered the wall of "no" that you did. I am sincerely puzzled.

I never had any problem, and I didn't talk to people on my cruises who had this problem. Some difficulties? Yes, but far from what you are describing. I wonder if there was something unusual about the passenger load or demographics on your particular cruise?

I just re-read my post, and I know it's coming across as very negative. Sorry about that. It's not my intention to "bash" RCI or the ship. Like I said, I give the while trip a "B". What i'm genuinely unhappy about is the dining and reservation situation, which could mostly be result of the number of guests overwhelming the capacity, and our incident on Labadee. The staff on the ship have been amazing, as have been the shows and venues. I just wanted to share some experiences to help others avoid or be prepared for similar.

Thank you for posting. Some of the issues you've had, are a major concern for us as well. We have seven cabins booked for a 5 night Bermuda next July to celebrate our 50th Anniversary with our children and grandchildren for a total of 16 people. (The cost is comparable to what the OP is paying for 5 cabins for on a 9 night cruise.)

With all the nightmares I read on CC about Dynamic Dining, we chose the now offered fixed main dinner seating. I have been assured, by both our TA and someone in the RCI Dining Dept, that we'll have no problem with being assigned two tables next to each other since all seven reservations are linked together. We were assured the same thing in 2013 and when we boarded were assigned two adjacent tables for 6 and 8 and my husband and I were assigned to sit with strangers on the other side of the MDR. You can imagine how quickly we made sure that was resolved.

Another concern is reservations for the North Star, I fly, Bumper cars, Shows, etc. Our eight grandchildren who ages will run from 8 to 18 when we sail, were very excited when they saw all the Anthem bells & whistles so I have already assumed responsibility for making all the reservations, since their parents might not make them before there is no more availability. Again, RCI assured me those reservations will be available seven months before sailing and, since everything is linked, I should have no problems.

So, I shouldn't worry about either dining issues or Bells & Whistles and yet I have no faith in anything they told me!!!!

What you are reporting from "the woman in reservations" would mean that 4,000 people per night night can be accommodated in the complimentary restaurants, since there are four of them. Passenger capacity of the Anthem is 4,180 double/4,905 max berths. Considering Coastal Kitchen and all of the for-fee restaurants, and the size of the Windjammer, you should not have encountered the wall of "no" that you did. I am sincerely puzzled.

I never had any problem, and I didn't talk to people on my cruises who had this problem. Some difficulties? Yes, but far from what you are describing. I wonder if there was something unusual about the passenger load or demographics on your particular cruise?

There is also the Solarium Bistro which makes 5 free restaurants. I never had a problem with the WJ at night. There was always plenty of tables. It was crowded at breakfast, but I was always able to find a seat.

I agree with the wave runner excursion. That is just wrong. Did you talk to the excursions deck when you got back on the ship? They are usually very accommodating with problems on excursions.

Thank you for posting. Some of the issues you've had, are a major concern for us as well. We have seven cabins booked for a 5 night Bermuda next July to celebrate our 50th Anniversary with our children and grandchildren for a total of 16 people. (The cost is comparable to what the OP is paying for 5 cabins for on a 9 night cruise.)

With all the nightmares I read on CC about Dynamic Dining, we chose the now offered fixed main dinner seating. I have been assured, by both our TA and someone in the RCI Dining Dept, that we'll have no problem with being assigned two tables next to each other since all seven reservations are linked together. We were assured the same thing in 2013 and when we boarded were assigned two adjacent tables for 6 and 8 and my husband and I were assigned to sit with strangers on the other side of the MDR. You can imagine how quickly we made sure that was resolved.

Another concern is reservations for the North Star, I fly, Bumper cars, Shows, etc. Our eight grandchildren who ages will run from 8 to 18 when we sail, were very excited when they saw all the Anthem bells & whistles so I have already assumed responsibility for making all the reservations, since their parents might not make them before there is no more availability. Again, RCI assured me those reservations will be available seven months before sailing and, since everything is linked, I should have no problems.

So, I shouldn't worry about either dining issues or Bells & Whistles and yet I have no faith in anything they told me!!!!

There are no reservations for the bumper cars.

There is also the Solarium Bistro which makes 5 free restaurants. I never had a problem with the WJ at night. There was always plenty of tables. It was crowded at breakfast, but I was always able to find a seat.

I agree with the wave runner excursion. That is just wrong. Did you talk to the excursions deck when you got back on the ship? They are usually very accommodating with problems on excursions.

Solarium Bistro isn't available to book in advance though, is it? I am on the same Labor Day sailing as you and have had a tough time getting dining reservations for all five nights.

Solarium Bistro isn't available to book in advance though, is it? I am on the same Labor Day sailing as you and have had a tough time getting dining reservations for all five nights.

I just booked this cruise right before final payment, and had no problem booking the restaurants and getting the times I wanted, including Solarium Bistro.

I just checked and there are a lot of times available for Solarium Bistro. (I did a search for 3 guests)

Edited by gaylemh

The Labadee thing IS way out of hand. The vendor area doesn't bother me- that is easily avoided and I always just ignore the salespeople.

But some of the employees there are locals- and I'm betting your wave runner guide set that up on purpose, with or without the knowledge of the cruise line. What happened to your son is disgusting and deplorable. I'd be furious if I were you, too.

It's hard, because those locals are so poor, and on the one hand I feel terrible for them- they are desperate to make a buck. On the other hand, on our last cruise at Labadee my cell phone was stolen (out of my backpack) and only returned to me when I offered a $200 reward to the band that was playing near our lounge chairs. Funny, one of them "found" it moments later. Extremely frustrating. RCI's response? They said the theft likely was committed by a fellow passenger. Sigh.

We will not book another cruise featuring Labadee, most likely.

On our first RCI cruise my husband was totally irritated by the 'sell-sell-sell' in the promenade area- and they have one employee whose job it is just to jam sales fliers in your hands- just like in NYC! That and tables stacked with cheap t-shirts and tacky watches: it really does cheapen the atmosphere.

I just booked this cruise right before final payment, and had no problem booking the restaurants and getting the times I wanted, including Solarium Bistro.

I see Solarium Bistro there now. I looked at the menu again and that was the issue, not much my picky DH will eat.:rolleyes: We booked a week before final payment too and could only get reservations around 7:45pm or later. That time is just too late for my Mom who is sailing with us. I have booked some specialty reservations now, so only one night is without a reservation. We could get Wonderland but not a good choice for my DH.:cool: We will do WJ if necessary. Just wish I could have booked Grande at least once.

I see Solarium Bistro there now. I looked at the menu again and that was the issue, not much my picky DH will eat.:rolleyes: We booked a week before final payment too and could only get reservations around 7:45pm or later. That time is just too late for my Mom who is sailing with us. I have booked some specialty reservations now, so only one night is without a reservation. We could get Wonderland but not a good choice for my DH.:cool: We will do WJ if necessary. Just wish I could have booked Grande at least once.

Go to Grande as soon as you get on the ship to get a reservation.

Royal has the cheap sales on every ship. There is a demand for them (why I don't know), as evident by the crowds. They are something easy to avoid and shouldn't impact your cruise. Just don't go to deck 4 or 5 when they have them.

Good question. I just learned at Guest Services that there are 4800 people on the ship, so while not totally full, it's pretty darned close. I don't know what, if anything, is unusual about the demographics that might be causing the issue. Maybe few are interested in "formal" dining in the Grande, which removes a bunch of tables from the pool. The phone reservation system might be at fault too, since the recording asks that you pick a restaurant to call as opposed to having a general reservations clerk that can look across options. Maybe the woman answering the phone for Silk can look at other restaurants (which it appears is true since she told me that nothing was available anywhere). We actually got a table for 5 in the Solarium last night, but we walked up at 8:30 (due to a late show) and had to wait for 20 minutes.

Royal has the cheap sales on every ship. There is a demand for them (why I don't know), as evident by the crowds. They are something easy to avoid and shouldn't impact your cruise. Just don't go to deck 4 or 5 when they have them.

quite difficult to do when so many other things are on those decks, but yeah, I try to avoid them as much as possible.

My point was really that they should spend less space and time on selling us stuff and more time making sure pax spending $5k+ per room are happy.

I really have never understood the need for so many "high end" shops....jewelry, watches, clothes, handbags etc......Don't get me wrong I love all the things I've listed I just prefer the more reasonably priced versions ;)

Thanks for your review.

Edited by libertybelle41

The Labadee thing IS way out of hand. The vendor area doesn't bother me- that is easily avoided and I always just ignore the salespeople.

But some of the employees there are locals- and I'm betting your wave runner guide set that up on purpose, with or without the knowledge of the cruise line. What happened to your son is disgusting and deplorable. I'd be furious if I were you, too.

It's hard, because those locals are so poor, and on the one hand I feel terrible for them- they are desperate to make a buck. On the other hand, on our last cruise at Labadee my cell phone was stolen (out of my backpack) and only returned to me when I offered a $200 reward to the band that was playing near our lounge chairs. Funny, one of them "found" it moments later. Extremely frustrating. RCI's response? They said the theft likely was committed by a fellow passenger. Sigh.

We will not book another cruise featuring Labadee, most likely.

On our first RCI cruise my husband was totally irritated by the 'sell-sell-sell' in the promenade area- and they have one employee whose job it is just to jam sales fliers in your hands- just like in NYC! That and tables stacked with cheap t-shirts and tacky watches: it really does cheapen the atmosphere.

Dang, I'd be angry too about that cell phone situation. I think the whole Labadee experience needs to be re-evaluated by RCI. Seems to have gotten a bit out of hand.

Our guide was from the Czech Republic, and he was actually put off by the vendors in kayaks as well, but told us that he "had to do this" and apologized. That, and the fact that RCI has people collecting money back at the wave runner dock for "purchases" made while on the water, tells me this is 100% intentional by RCI. Hence my frustration.

Dang, I'd be angry too about that cell phone situation. I think the whole Labadee experience needs to be re-evaluated by RCI. Seems to have gotten a bit out of hand.

I agree that Labadee has changed a lot. That cell phone story has changed though, I remember the thread, the cell phone was left out in the open on a lounge chair, it was not in a bag. Either way, the person who stole it was in the wrong, but leaving an expensive item out in the open is not a good idea. I found the original thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1783276

The whole waverunner issue is just wrong, but they have gotten away with doing that for years. We had read about it here on cruise critic and decided against the excursion because of it.

I just checked and there are a lot of times available for Solarium Bistro. (I did a search for 3 guests)

Sorry this is off topic and I can't help noticing. I'm reading your signature and have to ask if you have like 10 cruises planned on the Anthem over the next year or so? That's amazing if true, why so many on this ship? :eek:

Back when Quantum debuted I remember someone doing the math and calculating that the four free restaurants could hold about 1730 diners per seating. So unlike every other ship I've ever been on, they can't feed everyone in two seatings. Allowing for specialties, they probably need 2 1/2 turns.

Was on the 6/16 nine day sailing with 6:30 pre-booked reservations every night and was amazed how all four restaurants were always mobbed at 6:30, but less than 1/2 full by 7pm. Not much busier when we'd leave around 7:45. Despite this, we were constantly told that all time slots were completely booked each night.

Believe there are significant issues with the dining reservation system.

Much of this is due to Royal programming it to believe that dinner takes two hours. It doesn't. We were always done in a little over an hour including dessert and coffee. Because it uses 2 hour dining slots the system thinks the restaurants are much fuller than they actually are. This is somewhat ameliorated by space being absorbed by walk-ups.

Another issue is that while they need almost three seatings to feed everyone, a large % of each restaurant is dedicated to dynamic dining classic which only has two seatings. Once the early seating finishes those tables all sit empty for an hour or more until late seating.

Also, when you change a reservation the system doesn't always delete the old reservation when adding the new one. This double booking gives the appearance that restaurants are more fully booked than they actually are.

We did see them making progress turning tables faster. Dedicated teams really hustled to clear and reset tables in only 2-3 minutes. Also, while we did observe more folks than usual dining in the Windjammer, doubt the facility was more than 10% full. And they did attempt to vary the menu through several theme nights.

Contrary to what others said, the Grand was the most crowded venue we visited. Our party of four ate there three times and always had a 5-10 minute wait.