Charges in International Cafe?

janetcbl

The only charge for food is on newer Grand-class ships that have gelato at the IC such as on the Crown...$1.50 for 3 scoops.

Earlier this year there were reports of the Norman Love selections at the IC having a fee but we sailed the Crown in April after reading those posts & there was no fee charged for the Love dessert so maybe that test of charging a fee failed.

Edited by Astro Flyer

so maybe that test of charging a fee failed.

We noticed that on the Royal where you could buy a selection of his chocolates from the shop they had short expiration dates. They probably sold so few and we're wasting so much chocolate since they have short shelf lives they did away with the fees?

Earlier this year there were reports of the Norman Love selections at the IC having a fee but we sailed the Crown in April after reading those posts & there was no fee charged for the Love dessert so maybe that test of charging a fee failed.

There was a $3 charge for the Norman Love chocolates back in March on the Ruby. They were in the round display case, and it didn't seem like anyone was buying them. So it's possible that it was indeed a failed experiment.

We were on Ruby in May in Alaska and there was a charge for the Normal Love Chocolate stuff in IC. My wife really loved the Tirra Misu there, and since the Normal Love stuff came out, it appears to be gone. Also I am curious with Princess's obsession with chocolate. The majority of the desserts in the Crown Grill are chocolate based....I wonder why that is.

Thanks for the information. We are mainly interested in salads and sandwiches....any that are especially tasty?

I've never been disappointed in anything from the IC...salads, sandwiches, soup or desserts.

Some items rotate during a cruise & I enjoy their Cuban, chicken & pineapple and BBQ beef sandwiches. If desired, they'll heat them in a panini grill and in the morning when wanting something more than pastry they have a breakfast sandwich that's like a Egg McMuffin.

Rumor has it, that they are going to start charging to sit at the tables.:D

I was waiting for a comment like this. :D:D

For anyone who didn't read that recent thread about using the piazza, they might think it's serious & not realize that it's in jest. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

No charge for any of the salads, sandwiches, or desserts (not counting the ones in the special case which I never tried). The selections ranged from good to excellent. Never had anything not good there. There are donuts and pastries in the morning, also included in the cruise fare. I'm seriously sad that the Diamond doesn't have an IC an hoping that the Lobby Bar is a reasonable replacement....I've heard mixed comments.

There is a charge for the specialty coffees. Fresh brewed coffee and tea are included if you have a coffee card (no punch used for these items)

No charge for any of the salads' date=' sandwiches, or desserts (not counting the ones in the special case which I never tried). The selections ranged from good to excellent. Never had anything not good there. There are donuts and pastries in the morning, also included in the cruise fare. I'm seriously sad that the Diamond doesn't have an IC an hoping that the Lobby Bar is a reasonable replacement....I've heard mixed comments.

There is a charge for the specialty coffees. Fresh brewed coffee and tea are included if you have a coffee card (no punch used for these items)[/quote']

I was just on the Diamond, and sadly, the Lobby Bar is by no means a reasonable replacement for the IC IMHO. I seem to recall seeing small pastries in a glass case. I don't recall if they had any other options.

I was just on the Diamond, and sadly, the Lobby Bar is by no means a reasonable replacement for the IC IMHO. I seem to recall seeing small pastries in a glass case. I don't recall if they had any other options.

They will have a small covered tray of pastries or sandwiches on the bar. There is no comparison to the IC or its offerings.

In the morning two trays of pastries.

Lunch two trays of little sandwiches.

They do keep them topped up.

Thanks for the information. We are mainly interested in salads and sandwiches....any that are especially tasty?

No charge for any of those. Many are very tasty.

Try their "soup of the day". If you'd like crackers to go with your soup or salad, just ask because they keep them behind the counter. :)

I know that there is a charge for coffee, coffee drinks,etc. in the International Cafe. What about the food items? Are there additional charge for the salads, pastries and sandwiches?

It's all free and good.

I'm another fan of the international cafe :D Great spot for a light bite in the mornings, mid day nosh, or late night bite! I often find myself getting a panini (or two) along with a bottle of water to take back to my cabin at night and eat alfresco under the stars while winding down before bed...... Ahhhhhh