Panama Canal

bookcat

I just checked Carnival's web site and see only 2 cruises listed for Panama Canal and they both only have interior cabins left. Is Carnival going to quit sailing the Panama Canal?

I just checked Carnival's web site and see only 2 cruises listed for Panama Canal and they both only have interior cabins left. Is Carnival going to quit sailing the Panama Canal?

Are you talking about the January & February Pride Journey's Cruise which does a partial transit of the canal?

The only time Carnival does a full transit is if they are moving one of their smaller ships from one coast to the other.

Princess is your best bet for he canal. Either full or partial transit. They also have enrichment lecturers on board, which greatly enhances the experience. The Coral Princess is a lovely ship. I am platinum on Carnival. On my first Princess cruise I felt like I was platinum. Superior cruise line in all respects.

Edited by joeyancho

Princess is your best bet for he canal. Either full or partial transit. They also have enrichment lecturers on board, which greatly enhances the experience. The Coral Princess is a lovely ship. I am platinum on Carnival. On my first Princess cruise I felt like I was platinum. Superior cruise line in all respects.

Thanks eor the info. I'll check Princes

They used to do a very nice 8 day itinerary going to the canal and Costa Rica but for some reason do it very infrequently these days.

we did this one, belize, costa rica, panama...it was our absolute favorite and I would love to do it again!

to the op...did you ask carnival?

They used to do a very nice 8 day itinerary going to the canal and Costa Rica but for some reason do it very infrequently these days.

we did this one' date=' belize, costa rica, panama...it was our absolute favorite and I would love to do it again!

[/quote']

Yep

Carnival Legend use to that about 10years ago

I wish they would bring it back

I would love to do a L.A. to Miami transit.

Princess does that. 15 days. We did the 10 day partial transit in December on the Coral. Best cruise out of 36 cruises. Canal cruises are not cheap but worth every penny...

Princess does that. 15 days. We did the 10 day partial transit in December on the Coral. Best cruise out of 36 cruises. Canal cruises are not cheap but worth every penny...

Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale. Bucket list through the old canal. Excellent.

I agree, the Coral Princess is the best for the Panama Canal. She was built specifically for the canal. You wont be disappointed unless you you are looking for a party cruise. The ship was designed for optimal viewing areas for the canal.

Have a great cruise :)

They only do full transits when they do repos. Although I think most...if not all Carnival ships can now go through the new canal.

It costs an amount per passenger to go through so that adds a little extra which makes carnival mroe cautious maybe.

The last full transits were in 2014...There was one in January (I think it was the inspiration or imagination) and one in August on the Legend which we were on....best cruise ever!

We went to Costa Rica, The Cayman islands, Columbia, west coast Mexico and many sea days.

Celebrity also does full and partial transits on their M class ships, and HAL also. I have done full transits on Oosterdam and Infinity. Caribbean Princess is currently the first/only ship scheduled to transit through the new locks. Some ships would be able to fit through the locks but are too tall - require too much air draft - to fit under the Bridge of the Americas on the Pacific side. For instance, Celebrity Solstice is the only one of their Solstice class ships to fit as she was modified to sail under the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver.

Here is a chart from last year with costs for a ship to transit. They have probably been adjusted some with the new locks.

Panama%20Canal%20fees_zpslwe6nxwn.jpg

When we did the transit in 2014 the officers stated it was £85 ($127) per passenger.

Our full cruise fare for a 4j french door on the Legend in mid August for 13 days was £1100 ($1650) pp. If we had booked earlier we could have got it for less.