Call from NCL re: water

NW Pacific

Sent email on July 7th to Media Relations (NCL)- stating disappointed in new policy. We have always brought a liter onboard and then bought a gallon to bring back onboard at Ports to take meds with. Asked if they would consider lowering their water prices onboard to be the same as buying water "on land". Did not provide phone number or name. Got call today from Executive Dept., obviously they looked up our home phone # from our email, since we have sailed frequently before. Representative said appreciated our feed back, blah blah, and would be forwarded on for consideration. Just thought I would pass on somebody does read emails for what it is worth.

Sent email on July 7th to Media Relations (NCL)- stating disappointed in new policy. We have always brought a liter onboard and then bought a gallon to bring back onboard at Ports to take meds with. Asked if they would consider lowering their water prices onboard to be the same as buying water "on land". Did not provide phone number or name. Got call today from Executive Dept., obviously they looked up our home phone # from our email, since we have sailed frequently before. Representative said appreciated our feed back, blah blah, and would be forwarded on for consideration. Just thought I would pass on somebody does read emails for what it is worth.

We also got a very polite and lengthy phone call, in response to a lengthy (and hopefully polite) email we sent to several NCL execs.

However, there was no "would be forwarded on for consideration".

It was a flat out, "NO; this is the new policy, and there will be no changes, no exceptions, and no delays for those already in penalty".

Note that latter category ("already in penalty") did NOT include us.

We had already cancelled the cruises that were about to go into penalty phase. I guess we were lucky; another couple of weeks, and we would have been stuck.

We are waiting, however, about the several future cruises we already have deposits on, "just in case" they (ha!) change the policy somehow.

But our main reason for cancelling is HOW THEY NOTIFIED PEOPLE - OR FAILED TO DO SO UNTIL PENALTY PHASES WERE ALREADY IN.

We object on principle.

And the "batches" sent out only AFTER each cohort passes into penalty phase??? Unthinkable.

We never heard a peep directly from NCL, and neither have any of our traveling companions (2 additional cabins).

NCL *could* have notified everyone with timing such that NO ONE was already in any penalty if they chose to cancel.

That would have been the 'right thing' to do.

We have started making deposits on other cruise lines, plus on some land trips, instead.

Here is the response I received following my own polite expression of disappointment:

"Thank you for your email. We value our guests’ feedback and we appreciate you taking the time to contact us regarding the change to our beverage policy.

We understand your disappointment, however, this revised policy brings the us in line with other best practices in travel security protocols. We offer competitively priced beverage and water packages that can be purchased both on board as well as pre-cruise for your convenience.

As a reminder, detailed information regarding information on our beverage policy is available on our website at https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-to-bring.

Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope you will continue to enjoy your cruise vacations with us."

It remains to be seen whether what occurs from 15th July onward has any impact on this stance...

FYI: first NCL sailing I am aware of after the dateline of 15th July is from Florida.

I received a call as well from the executive offices. The gentleman was very nice and professional. I told him I didn't have an issue with the policy at all, but I felt the price of the water was too high and they should send out a press release and copy it to all their customers. We also laughed a little about some of the plans some have posted about how they are going to buy baby formula in order to bring water on or buy water on the ship and then take the receipt off, purchase water off the ship and show the receipt and say they bought it on the ship.

We also got a very polite and lengthy phone call, in response to a lengthy (and hopefully polite) email we sent to several NCL execs.

It was a flat out, "NO; this is the new policy, and there will be no changes, no exceptions, and no delays for those already in penalty".

We had already cancelled the cruises that were about to go into penalty phase. I guess we were lucky; another couple of weeks, and we would have been stuck.

We are waiting, however, about the several future cruises we already have deposits on, "just in case" they (ha!) change the policy somehow.

But our main reason for cancelling is HOW THEY NOTIFIED PEOPLE - OR FAILED TO DO SO UNTIL PENALTY PHASES WERE ALREADY IN.

We object on principle.

And the "batches" sent out only AFTER each cohort passes into penalty phase??? Unthinkable.

We never heard a peep directly from NCL, and neither have any of our traveling companions (2 additional cabins).

NCL *could* have notified everyone with timing such that NO ONE was already in any penalty if they chose to cancel.

We have started making deposits on other cruise lines, plus on some land trips, instead.

This is the issue we have with it. We've only brought a single 2-liter bottle of ginger ale on board in all of our cruises, but the fact that they make huge changes like this and are waiting until after cruisers are within final payment just rubs me the wrong way. The other issue I have with this is how callous it seems some of the phone reps and even the executive team are.

Yes, nobody is going to die over water or soda, but what's the next big change?

Here is the response I received following my own polite expression of disappointment:

It remains to be seen whether what occurs from 15th July onward has any impact on this stance...

FYI: first NCL sailing I am aware of after the dateline of 15th July is from Florida.

The Dawn should be leaving from Boston tomorrow - July 15th.

The Dawn should be leaving from Boston tomorrow - July 15th.

Wish there were port webcams that showed closeups of people trying to check cases of beverages or (like we did) duffel bags of bottles of Diet Coke.

I just cannot imagine how this will work, especially given that adequate notice has been given to everyone (to put it mildly).

:mad:

It's about choices.

Just wait till they only sell Budweiser fleetwide, regular or lite, no Miller or Heineken.

Imagine - it's not just about me or you (and, more than just about the prices alone)

e96bbe2e8d3636bbb8dd282bea8d5ae9.jpg

As for the hard-nosed scripted replies by NCL reps - can't say I am surprised, doing exactly what they are paid to do.

via Nexus* over Google Fi - WiFi network, VPN secured

Edited by mking8288

Wish there were port webcams that showed closeups of people trying to check cases of beverages or (like we did) duffel bags of bottles of Diet Coke.

I just cannot imagine how this will work, especially given that adequate notice has been given to everyone (to put it mildly).

:mad:

At this point though how has notice actually been given to passengers? Other than my being on cruise critic, we have received no notification on our booking of any new policy regarding bringing on beverages. Will be interesting to see if we suddenly receive a notification after our final payment due date, which is 4 days from now.

At this point though how has notice actually been given to passengers? Other than my being on cruise critic, we have received no notification on our booking of any new policy regarding bringing on beverages. Will be interesting to see if we suddenly receive a notification after our final payment due date, which is 4 days from now.

That's the problem!

We also would have had NO idea, if we weren't on CruiseCritic.

And it's only a small minority of cruisers who are on CC, so the rest would have no idea...

We received *nothing* about this directly from NCL, and our penalty would have begun something like next week.

Neither have friends traveling with us.

We CANCELLED that cruise (and also for the other family we bring along).

Yesterday morning, we made plane and hotel reservations elsewhere for all of us.

We have several more cruises with deposits... and have heard nothing for any of those, either.

So that is why it would be really "interesting" to SEE what happens at the docks during the next several days of NCL departures.

I'm just thinking how we would have felt about 2 months ago, with our duffel bag of Diet Coke... the same duffel bag we've used on quite a number of other cruises on NCL.

And suddenly... "Sorry, but NO!"???

Wow.

It sounds like you are keeping your cruise.

Please let us know when - or IF - you receive notification directly from NCL about the new policy.

Thanks.

I finally received an email from my TA today. My final payment is due in August.

We object on principle.

Again I am in COMPLETE agreement with you regarding the penalty phase. It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with the new policy people have their own strong predilection for food or drink and that is not only their right but something that is strong within a person. So what if YOU think the drinking water from the ship is okay.someone else may have an issue and it is their right! I have an issue that I cant drink from a drinking fountain...horrible experience...I still squirm...but that is MY experience and not anyone else. I wont put myself in that position to be uncomfortable again. so I am not going to judge another person's feeling on food and drink.....now that said. NCL certainly does have the right to change their policy ....written in the contract. MY issue with NCL and some of the cruise lines if those who DO have those predilections and who meticulously plan their cruises due to likes and dislikes have the option to option out without penalty. This in MY opinion only NCL nickels and dimes people when they change the rules....I feel for the staff because I fell majority are so committed and hard working....but really NCL management....you are jerks

They have allowed guests to bring a variety of beverages aboard as though its a radio flyer wagon just back from a Walmart stock up camping trip with friends and family.

On two of our cruises they waived the corkage fee for our Cliquot ( 40 bucks at Publix!) we had 3 bottles each time.

We didn't bother on more recent cruises- I can't stand Schleping all that weight.

But from what I am reading on these rant threads, NCL has been generous in allowing s many and varied beverages aboard. RCL doesn't . Ya'll had a good run, folks. Be thankful for that !

As for their secret way of announcing- scummy, yes. But this isn't an incident for which I plan to become a SJW.

Edited by Annmeat

I received a lengthly phone call from someone at NCL several says ago. My complaint was two-fold. One, we were notified 30 days before our cruise and therefore were already in the penalty phase. The second issue is a medical issue where the fluoride in the water can not be tolerate as well as concerns about how sanitary the nozzles are where you can fill a refillable water bottle (IF I could find one that filters out the chlorine). I was told my letter would be forwarded to the CEO.

Have you ever watched those drink stations for a few minutes? People constantly refill glasses that they have drank from or refill water bottles that they have drank from. Gross!

I have also called the Guest Access line and have been told that there are no medical exceptions to the water rule.

We did get an email notification re: this new policy and can't remember if it was before or after we made final payment for our NCL Sept 3rd cruise. We always get the 6 bottles of water package before each 7 day cruise and never drink all of it. After Carnival began the " can't bring water on the ship " policy, they had a great deal for buying a package and it was only $ 2.99 for many bottles of water that were in our cabin when we boarded the ship.

I remember when I saw a special program on tv re: cruise ships. It said they make the most money from alcoholic drinks. I can't figure out why they now have a beverage package that is often a promo.