Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and X's new direction

russg140

We love Celebrity, but recently when researching for cruises out of Sydney, Australia I compared cruises to New Zealand for 11-12 days. I checked Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and NCL.

Celebrity's price for a 12 day cruise was about $3000 pp for a balcony, but included to bennies like the beverage package, free grats, etc.

NCL's price for 10 day cruise balcony was $1650 pp and included two bennies as well.

Royal Caribbean's cruise was 11 days with no bennies and $1450 pp.

While we have never cruised on Royal, we booked that one as well as the transpacific to Seattle, which had a pretty good price as well for a 22 day cruise.

As elites on Celebrity and Platinum on NCL, we have some benefits like a free bag of laundry on both. On X we have elite happy hour, which saves us a lot on alcohol. On NCL we get a meal in a specialty restaurant.

Taking in consideration our value of the bennies, Royal's price was about the same as NCL's price, but Royal's was an 11 day cruise. Also, we are diamond on Royal and have their free happy hour.

What was interesting to us was that Celebrity's prices were so much out of line with NCL and Royal.

Even taking off the modest value of beverage package on X and free gratuities, the Celebrity price was several hundred dollars more than what we will pay on Royal.

I do a very similar thing when researching cruises - compare the price of the options that appeal to me with any included perks, what it would cost to add things like beverage packages and tips and see what the total out of pocket for those items is. For me, Celebrity has priced me out the last few go rounds. I too like longer sailings, especially transatlantic cruises, or 10-14 night Caribbean. Since 2013 I have found significant savings by going elsewhere, but Celebrity has ALWAYS, and will ALWAYS be my first look. Luckily it appears the pricing for the Equinox on 11/6/17 is attractive enough that I may be returning "home" to Celebrity.

We have the Royal Princess 15nt Transatlantic booked with the Sip-n-Sail bev package promo and added in pre-paid tips in the lowest priced non-obstructed balcony. It is roughly the same price as we would pay on the Equinox for 10nts to the ABC islands in the Caribbean in AquaClass with GoBest. What we have to decide now is which option ultimately best suits us. We have loads of time to decide as both cruises under deposit and final not until next summer :D

Unlike many of the 70+ crowd on HAL whom don't spend a single cent onboard other than the daily gratuity charge, the 20 to 40-something crowd are apparently gladly buying up to GoBest providing additional incremental revenue on the cruise fare, and spending money onboard on spa treatments, gaming, shore excursions, specialty dining and more.

If they are buying up to the GOBest then they are exactly the crowd that Celebrity wants, because they are either really bad at math or don't really care about value for their money. In most instances it's not the best choice, unless you feel it is really important for both in the room to have internet access all the time.

If they are buying up to the GOBest then they are exactly the crowd that Celebrity wants, because they are either really bad at math or don't really care about value for their money. In most instances it's not the best choice, unless you feel it is really important for both in the room to have internet access all the time.

If you book GoBest when only GoBig is being offered for free, several travel agency groups have additional OBC specific to when you book the GoBest rate code so it's not a bad deal - the value of the extra OBC and prepaid grats is effectively the same as the buy-up, thus you get the new high speed internet package and also the premium bev package upgrade also included for free. High speed internet is something many younger folks want (and expect) these days - even on vacation. :p

But if GoBetter is running for free, then agree, it's not such a good deal.

If you book GoBest when only GoBig is being offered for free, several travel agency groups have additional OBC specific to when you book the GoBest rate code so it's not a bad deal - the value of the extra OBC and prepaid grats is effectively the same as the buy-up, thus you get the new high speed internet package and also the premium bev package upgrade also included for free. High speed internet is something many younger folks want (and expect) these days - even on vacation. :p

But if GoBetter is running for free, then agree, it's not such a good deal.

Believe it or not quite a few of us boomers like fast internet also. Which generation invented that darn thing anyway?

One thing young folks should try to remember, all those old folks have already done most of the things the young ones are now doing. I believe ol Solomon said there is nothing new under the sun.

I always try to remember this when interacting with people in their 80's and 90's.

Believe it or not quite a few of us boomers like fast internet also. Which generation invented that darn thing anyway?

One thing young folks should try to remember, all those old folks have already done most of the things the young ones are now doing. I believe ol Solomon said there is nothing new under the sun.

I always try to remember this when interacting with people in their 80's and 90's.

My post wasn't in anyway intended to be a slight against any age demographic. Sorry if you interpreted it that way. I just wanted to clarify on the "really bad at math" assertion as it can actually be a pretty sweet deal.

Edited by YYC F/A

Not if someone has a package. The red wine my wife drank last cruise had a menu price of $13.50 a glass. With the pkg we paid .59 cents. Add 3-4-5 Perrier ea, 2-3 specialty coffees ea, many bottle waters, smoothies from the Aqua Café, me going thru the craft beer choices, juices, then a few cocktails too boot. Break even would be closer.

And there is not a lot of margin from the 3-4-5 Specialty restaurants, food cost.

They make their $$ filling cabins.

We usually spend about $250 total for a 14 day cruise on alcohol. We don't drink soda, bottled water or expensive coffee.

We enjoy the free happy hour. NO way does the Celebrity price (more than double the Royal price) justify the choice of Celebrity because of the beverage packages.

We usually spend about $250 total for a 14 day cruise on alcohol. We don't drink soda, bottled water or expensive coffee.

We enjoy the free happy hour. NO way does the Celebrity price (more than double the Royal price) justify the choice of Celebrity because of the beverage packages.

Interesting, every Royal cruise I've looked at were far more expensive than Celebrity.

QUOTE]

I would say the Generation X'ers, but they're usually forgotten about in these talks between the boomers and the newbies *grin*

Here's the problem: they don't have money (they are in student debt up to their ass) and what they do have they are NOT going to spend it on a cruise.

Very offended by your sweeping generalization. Student loan payment or no student loan payment, people are going to do whatever makes them happy. They are probably better off without you. One less complainer. Sayonara.

A lot of fluff here, but it's pretty obvious that the drinks is what gets you to come back. A sentence here and there about some of the other draws but there are paragraphs about the alcohol. If that's what you like, man up.

Celebrity isn't trying to necessarily draw the younger crowd, they are after the drinkers. That's where they make all their money. Drink all you want but be considerate about the people around you that don't need to drink to enjoy their cruise.

Goodness me, that is a bit presumptuous/rude.

Correct! It is everything else that's makes it worth it to us.

We love Celebrity, but we have done some NCL cruises. If RCL is equal to NCL, and I suspect it might be better, I would disagree with that statement. No way is paying almost double for a cruise worth it going on Celebrity.

While the OP might think that everyone in this crowd is saddled with student debt, X has finally found their true calling and niche.

OP here. I NEVER said anything about student debt or something similar so stop that crap. I just saw that post and I NEVER said that - ever. It's not something I would even think! I don't know how that appeared with my name, but it was NOT me - cross my heart.

You feel that X is meeting your needs. AWESOME! I feel it is not. So my last cruise with X is a 10 night Mediterranean on the Reflection in the Reflection Suite at a cost of $36K for my 55th birthday. And then I flip X the bird and move on. Quite honestly, if I hadn't promised my friends this cruise we would take a Windstar in the Med for 1/3 the price and 2 times the value.

Again, those who like the new Celebrity - more power to you. Calm waters and good tradewinds to you.

Edited by russg140

OP here. I NEVER said anything about student debt or something similar so stop that crap. I just saw that post and I NEVER said that - ever. It's not something I would even think! I don't know how that appeared with my name, but it was NOT me - cross my heart.

Read your original post. Second paragraph.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Aside from name calling and insults this thread has given all of us a chance to speak out and express what we think about Celebrity and all the changes it has undergone as well as what changes may be coming.

Did we like it before? Do we like it now? What would we like to see in the future?

The entire issue might be informative to the powers that be in guiding the future of Celebrity towards something that with a variety of ships, itineraries and policies will come as close as possible to making it a wonderful experience for every type of cruiser.

bosco

Aside from name calling and insults this thread has given all of us a chance to speak out and express what we think about Celebrity and all the changes it has undergone as well as what changes may be coming.

Did we like it before? Do we like it now? What would we like to see in the future?

The entire issue might be informative to the powers that be in guiding the future of Celebrity towards something that with a variety of ships, itineraries and policies will come as close as possible to making it a wonderful experience for every type of cruiser.

bosco

Bosco

That's wishful thinking. Sr. Management both at the Company and Corporate level have clearly demonstrated that guests wants and wishes have no place in their business planning process. Even though the President of Celebrity wants to make people believe that decisions, such as keeping the Equinox in the Caribbean year-round, stemmed from guest feedback, if that move wasn't part of the overall business plan it wouldn't have been done. But to make the decision and say that it was based on guest feedback looks better than saying, "Celebrity wants to have the only ship in the Caribbean when everyone else is in the Mediterranean/Baltics/Alaska/etc."

I'd so like to think guest feedback would matter. It almost makes me rethink whether filling out the post-cruise survey really even matters.

Bosco

That's wishful thinking. Sr. Management both at the Company and Corporate level have clearly demonstrated that guests wants and wishes have no place in their business planning process. Even though the President of Celebrity wants to make people believe that decisions, such as keeping the Equinox in the Caribbean year-round, stemmed from guest feedback, if that move wasn't part of the overall business plan it wouldn't have been done. But to make the decision and say that it was based on guest feedback looks better than saying, "Celebrity wants to have the only ship in the Caribbean when everyone else is in the Mediterranean/Baltics/Alaska/etc."

I'd so like to think guest feedback would matter. It almost makes me rethink whether filling out the post-cruise survey really even matters.

There will always be a business decision to their plan in all aspects. They're a business after all. Do they take guests requests into that plan? Sure, so long as they feel that they will still make a decent profit off of it. They're not going to just stick ships anywhere someone asks for. They have limited resources (their ships) and will need to put them where it makes sense for the business. Remember, there are lots of guests with different needs (ask a West Coaster if they would like a ship out of California, they've been clamoring for one). Not all are going to be met, and many are not going to match yours.

As for Caribbean year round. Considering their parent company, and other lines (like NCL) has a number of their newest and largest ships sailing it year round, I don't think this is just "we are doing this to be the only ship sailing year round". My opinion would be more, they've had a lot of guests requesting summer sailings, and with the current outlook of Europe, it would be best to move the ship and fill those wants at the same time.

There will always be a business decision to their plan in all aspects. They're a business after all. Do they take guests requests into that plan? Sure, so long as they feel that they will still make a decent profit off of it. They're not going to just stick ships anywhere someone asks for. They have limited resources (their ships) and will need to put them where it makes sense for the business. Remember, there are lots of guests with different needs (ask a West Coaster if they would like a ship out of California, they've been clamoring for one). Not all are going to be met, and many are not going to match yours.

As for Caribbean year round. Considering their parent company, and other lines (like NCL) has a number of their newest and largest ships sailing it year round, I don't think this is just "we are doing this to be the only ship sailing year round". My opinion would be more, they've had a lot of guests requesting summer sailings, and with the current outlook of Europe, it would be best to move the ship and fill those wants at the same time.

I'm a West Coaster. I'd love a Celebrity ship to be based somewhere on this coast, but it wouldn't be a good financial decision for the company. I accept that.

Celebrity is a floating hotel entity, that needs to be profitable to stay "afloat". Moving Equinox to the Caribbean wasn't a decision based upon a whim or immediate decision.

As to addressing the factors why the ship was redeployed, it's irrelevant at this point. It's done. To quote Hilary Clinton, "what difference does it matter?"

Either customers like the change, or move on and find another company that meets their needs.