A drinking "light weight" tries the Premium Package

The whole drink package thing depends a lot on how one is wired. In this instance, the four drinks a day plus a bottle or two of water gets a person to the break even point.

The mere fact of having a package should not cause one to feel they have to have additional drinks. But if it does and if this makes one uncomfortable then that person should go a la carte.

Also, if one feels having a package will cause one to drink constantly from morning to bedtime then perhaps that's not a good plan, either.

In my case, I looked at past seapass charges and saw I could save money with the Premium Package and had that on my last cruise. According to DW who tracks such things my consumption was about the same with the package. So I'm getting it on our next cruise.

For me, between the package and prepaying gratuities, I like the idea of seeing a very small balance on that final invoice slipped under our door the last night.

YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. It just comes down to preference. And preferences don't have to necessarily be...rational. Buying the package for peace of mind is no more wrong or right than the compulsion to consume something you don't really want simply because 'you paid for it'. It's not really something that needs to be 'understood' or 'got'. It is what it is. It's how each person is wired.

I purchased a select and premium pkg for my upcoming cruise. It's only a 4 nighter....no sea days....I'm thinking about canceling it and just putting the money on my account as OBC. Maybe we'll drink it all or maybe bring some $ home.. ;) Or maybe we'll go over but I can't imagine it will be by that much.

The beverage package discounts are not on every sailing. If your sailing is offering the discount, it will show up in your Cruise Planner when you select one of the beverage packages.

Thanks! I found it right after I posted this & booked it... When I priced out the cruise, they told me the cost but didn't say it was a 20% promo, so I'm glad I read it on here. I'm on my cruise countdown diet, so I can't wait for some pina coladas... :p

On my last cruise my husband and son got the premium package. They got some mileage on their alcohol package. They talked me into getting a premium package for me also. My husband said that I should get one so I could try different drinks and not worry about what I ordered.

On the cruise I had maybe 9 alcoholic drinks total and a birch of Diet Coke/water. At least I know now that the soda package is all I need. Everyone is different.

Thanks SAMJR for your perspective!

I've been toying with the idea of a package...our last cruise we spent a lot on the bar bill (more than I thought we would!) but still it wasn't as much as the cost of a package.

Add that we're traveling with our kids I think we'll skip it and pay a la carte...

I like the idea of being able to pay for a package of say 10-15 drinks for a price that saves you say 15-20% vs buying one at a time. That way you could use your drinks over the course of the cruise. You save something by pre paying, but total drinks more in line with moderate drinker... if you choose you could burn it up one day or use a couple a day over the week cruise.

I agree... with the idea that if I purchase an all you could drink package... well I would feel obligated to not just break even... but be ahead... i.e. drunk.

I wonder if packages like this are linked to some issues with problem passengers... dancing on the balconey tables and taking a header off the side

It does make it true for some though.

OP, I am with you. Never going yo do a package. Our bar bill was about $40 for two of us on our last 8 day cruise. The diamond drinks are plenty for us...

So, but for your 3 free diamond drinks a day, you would agree that the drink package may make sense for someone who drinks 3.5-4.0 drinks a day, where it only takes 4.2 to break even, and it includes the water and soda packages.

Like others have said, its nice to not worry about ordering drinks knowing that if you don't like a particular drink you can send it back. One purpose of a vacation is to try new things, including food, drinks, destinations and excursions....

So, but for your 3 free diamond drinks a day, you would agree that the drink package may make sense for someone who drinks 3.5-4.0 drinks a day, where it only takes 4.2 to break even, and it includes the water and soda packages.

Like others have said, its nice to not worry about ordering drinks knowing that if you don't like a particular drink you can send it back. One purpose of a vacation is to try new things, including food, drinks, destinations and excursions....

Drink package gives you a much better/upscale choice of drinks over diamond/suite lounge

Drink package gives you a much better/upscale choice of drinks over diamond/suite lounge

Is this true of the Select package or only the premium/ultra?

Edited by ggo85

I'm with you. It would not be worth the money for me. I just don't drink that much booze and I'm not a big soda person. Now, if the bring that dang water package down a bit, I would be ALL over that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

If it wasn't Evian bottled water I'd do it. I personally don't like it...tastes funny to me.

Got it again last week and drank like a fish for a week. Multiple glasses of wine with every meal, cocktail after cocktail, always a beer in hand for the first half of the day and never once checked the cruise balance or worried about it.

Also, didn't drink a drop of water Evian or otherwise. Took pills with swigs of beer.

Couldn't have had a better vacation.

The 20% off sale for the premium drink packages and all the posts about how wonderful the packages are, pushed me to get one for our recent sailing.

I like frozen drinks, and at ~$13/drink (incl. tip), it would take ~4.2 drinks a day to "break even".

While I did get my money's worth (but not by much) over the week, I ended up drinking WAY more than I normally would.

Throughout the week, I kept feeling I HAD to get a drink to make sure the package was worth it.

I understand some folks swear by the package. For those who don't drink a lot, I just suggest being realistic on what you'll drink. I generally had one drink around lunch time, another in the early afternoon, one at dinner, and one at the show. I'd also get a bottle of water at some point during the day.

I'm not one to just sit by the pool, was usually either watching DD do the flowrider or the rock wall, or just soaking in the ship.

So for me, no more drink packages.

Just my .02.

I would also venture to say I probably drink more, especially more hard and mixed drinks. Normally a beer drinker. I do like trying the different mix drinks and generally have a bloody mary or two in the morning which I wouldn't do at home....

I like frozen drinks, and at ~$13/drink (incl. tip), it would take ~4.2 drinks a day to "break even".

Just my .02.

Easily worth 3-4 cents! Thanks for posting. This was a good post, and I chose to highlight this one line and that is a reflection on me, not on you. This is my whole idea I don't like about the drink packages, people's need to break even. I understand it, I just don't like it. I'll pay for the water package and not compare the bottle price to what is available at Costco. I'm probably a little sensitive on the alcohol package as my Dad was a different kind of alcoholic. My Dad didn't drink often, he would go months without a drink,but when he did, he always drank too much and frequently it ended up with me getting the snot beat out of me.

So, I'm a little sensitive about people's need to have more than they want for what ever reason. That said, I grew up a responsible drinker and I don't judge others for how much they drink unless things get out of hand. I'm happy to say with one cruise under my belt since the drink packages have gained popularity and nobody's drinking caused me any issues.

If the cruise fare included unlimited drinks I would probably drink more , but avoid over indulging often, I look forward to the ports and excursions too much. I guess I've come to grips with cruises with unlimited food and I can handle that pretty well.

Being Diamond and the Diamond happy hour has helped for me. I hope that continues. Ok, enough ramblings, off to read the other opinions.

The beverage package discounts are not on every sailing. If your sailing is offering the discount, it will show up in your Cruise Planner when you select one of the beverage packages.

Thanks for answering that. Once it show up on that select sailing does it stay, or come and go for a limited time? I don't like the idea of feeling the need to drink more, but I would like knowing someone else paid less ;) But with cruising I should be use to that by now.

Then there is the added pressure of watching and making sure they are using the good stuff! Totally kidding, I wouldn't know the good stuff from the other. If I'm drinking for taste, I'll drink Coke. If I want to relax a little rum and coke and I wouldn't know one from other. Ok, that right there tells me the package isn't for me.

Is this true of the Select package or only the premium/ultra?

Select package has no cocktails at all and very limited wine. However, it does include virtually all beers on the ship, while the DL/CL/SL beer offerings are very limited.

Thanks for answering that. Once it show up on that select sailing does it stay, or come and go for a limited time? I don't like the idea of feeling the need to drink more, but I would like knowing someone else paid less ;) But with cruising I should be use to that by now.

I don't know the answer for sure Bill, but I would not depend on the discount staying.

Got it again last week and drank like a fish for a week. Multiple glasses of wine with every meal, cocktail after cocktail, always a beer in hand for the first half of the day and never once checked the cruise balance or worried about it.

Also, didn't drink a drop of water Evian or otherwise. Took pills with swigs of beer.

Couldn't have had a better vacation.

We should hang out. I bet we'd get along well. I save my heavy drinking for vacation since drinking at work is "frowned upon".

We should hang out. I bet we'd get along well. I save my heavy drinking for vacation since drinking at work is "frowned upon".

MDR seating was us two (married), another married couple, an engaged couple, and a newly dating couple. We were all around the same age +/- 5 years or so.

We. Had. Fun.

To say the least. Drinking package is worth every penny for us.

For the most part, I'm a person who knows my limits and when to stop drinking. We are not heavy drinkers in "normal" life but we enjoy our drinks on vacation.

I really didn't think about breaking even at any time during the week. I didn't drink constantly, but spread it out through the day. :D Usually a drink or two by the pool in the afternoon and wine with dinner, and a drink or two later in the evening. At dinner, our waiter brought us a wine refill and an after-dinner drink without us asking for either (something different each night which was a fun surprise) and I really enjoyed not having to think about it.

I did not spend the entire cruise drunk and neither did my husband. I'm sure I gained a few pounds after all of those BBC's and Pina Coladas though. :o

I understand the drink packages aren't for everyone. Why all the judgement?

I agree... with the idea that if I purchase an all you could drink package... well I would feel obligated to not just break even... but be ahead... i.e. drunk.

I wonder if packages like this are linked to some issues with problem passengers... dancing on the balconey tables and taking a header off the side

Like others have said, its nice to not worry about ordering drinks knowing that if you don't like a particular drink you can send it back.
Of course, even without a drink package, you can still do that. My first cruise, no drink package, and I tried a "cucumber smoothie" from the spa. That lasted about 2-3 sips and into the trash it went. I didn't worry about the cost, it was lesson learned.

This is my whole idea I don't like about the drink packages, people's need to break even. I understand it, I just don't like it.

I think it comes down to how people are 'wired' and what's important to them. I need to know I'm getting value for my money. If I was only going to get a single drink a day at dinner, it's kind of silly to even consider a package (IMO). Even if I'm going to get a drink at dinner and one at a show, a package doesn't make sense (again IMO).

I think it also comes down to how one vacations. The first day I ended up with 5 or 6 drinks. But I didn't do many other activities. I can't just sit on at the pool for hours.

I'm not faulting anyone who gets the package. More power to you.

Work has changed, everybody did the 3 martini lunch through 60's to 80's now not so much