1st Family Cruise...What am I forgetting??

Hi,

We are taking our first cruise with our 3 children (2, 8 & 10). Any advice on what I might not realize I need? I've tried to read posts on the board and think I have the big things covered (extra diapers, benedryl, etc) but I am sure there are things to do and see that I am not aware of and therefore cannot prepare for. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

For our first cruise I had downloaded a list of suggested items to take (from here or Disboards), took most of them and didn't use half of them.

Here are some suggestions:

• Travel clock (I know everyone has phones but it's nice to have one in the room)
  • Night light (you can also just leave the bathroom light on, but I find it annoying for me to sleep, depending on the ship and room set-up some of the Pullmans have lights)
  • Post-it notes so you can leave each other notes in your cabin
  • Band-aids and Neosporin (the to go spray is excellent)
  • Sunscreen
  • Hats (we always forget these, I have so many baseball hats from different countries!)
  • Safety pins
  • Flat pack of duct tape
  • Highlighters
  • Sunscreeen and after-sun lotion
  • Coloring books/crayons a quiet activity if you need keep someone occupied and someone is napping
  • We brought snacks (granola bars etc) to take on longer excursions

Most important - a positive attitude :)

Edited by hansolosmom

I would add

Powdered pedialyte ( just in case) baby Motrin and Tylenol

Sound machine to drown out hall noise so littles can sleep

Small stroller ( big ones take up too much room in cabin and elevators)

If you are in a cabin less then a Jr suite a 12 inch wide shoe holder which you hang from the closet rod for extra shelving for clothes and toys.

Have a great time!

Bonine or generic meclizine for motion sickness. Magnetic hooks and magnets. We used the magnets to hang kids swim wear by window so the sun would dry them each day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When my cousin's family went they brought walkie talkies. They worked on the ship. That way when the husband and sons were on the lido deck, wifey could walkie talkie and find location. It was genius!!!! Also clorox wipes. Sometimes when they clean the rooms some things may get missed like remote controls, door handles, balcony tables and chairs, etc.

Edited by swirlygirly21

Swim goggles, kids hate when I forget to pack them!!

I know I sometimes get so focussed on the kids that I forget about myself. Walk yourself through your own get ready routine, especially for formal night (makeup, flat iron, curling iron, curlers, jewellery, etc.).

Usually when something is forgotten, it's something that I need.

Oh, and if any of your kids wear orthodontics, .... do not forget any tools you need, like wire clippers, or wax. My 9 year old forgot this on our last cruise and she had a wire poking her jaw most of the week. No one on board could help us, and I was even approaching strangers with braces, hoping they could share some wax. I asked our cabin attendant too wondering if he had friends with braces, but they are not allowed to give anything to passengers. Maintenance showed up with a rusty pair of wire cutters (they were HUGE!) and I didn't dare put them in her mouth.

Depending on your ship, if the 2 year old isn't potty trained, they won't be allowed in the pools....I don't know if your ship has a baby "splash" area or not! A blow up tub is useful for bathing and splashing...showers only in all but the "suites".

We bring the motion detector lights for the bathrooms- bright enough so you don't have to turn on the light, and turn themselves off in a couple of minutes. Also, I used to use chewing gum in a pinch on my braces when I had no wax.

European outlet adapters (don't need converters, just the 2 prong adapters) will give you extra outlets you probably would not otherwise be able to use.

On Royal ships, if the kids want to participate in the pirate night, I bring the inflatable swords- kinda fun!

Have a great trip!

Hi,

We are taking our first cruise with our 3 children (2, 8 & 10). Any advice on what I might not realize I need? I've tried to read posts on the board and think I have the big things covered (extra diapers, benedryl, etc) but I am sure there are things to do and see that I am not aware of and therefore cannot prepare for. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Don't know your cabin situation (2 cabins?) but when we cruised with kids the over-the-door shoe holder was a lifesaver. Everyone had their own row of pockets for their "stuff" so it kept things organized and easy to find. The bottom rows we used for sunscreen, hats, etc. Packed flat so easy to bring. Some people love them, some don't.

Edited by widallas

Thank you all so much!! A bunch of stuff I didn't even know about and thank you for the reminder on the goggles. We always forget them!!

Good to know on pirate night. Are there any other "themes" that I should be aware of? We love to take part in stuff like that.

We're going on our first family cruise too. An idea I saw was to bring blow-up balls for the kids to play with in the room or on the beach. I thought that was a great idea since they won't take up room.

Not sure if the pirate's night is on royal or on Disney. I've experience it on Disney. Going on Freedom in august and never heard of that....

Waterproof camera, little plastic thing to put money on you on excursion that you can get wet, aquashoes (depending on excursion), lots of 1$ for tips, a few garbage bag to put your Dirty or wet clothes on the way back home, an empty bottle to fill it up with free juice or limonade (to put back in your room fridge if you dont pay for the drinking package).

A photocopie of your passport (to bring with you on excursion day... Just in case!)

If your on a cruise with a skating rink, socks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here are my suggestions that haven't yet been mentioned

- Baby wipes

- Collapsible travel scooters for the bigger kids for getting around at shore

- Something to do for the moments you have to wait, or when passing time ar dinner table etc.

- Most importantly: don't plan on a too tight schedule!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums