Passports

I'm going on a Mexican Riviera cruise in January that embarks from Long Beach. My passport expires in June 2017, five months after the cruise. My understanding is I won't need my passport unless I get stuck in Mexico somehow. Is this true? I plan to bring it but I am hoping I don't need to renew it by January. Thanks in advance!

As a US citizen you need your passport or birth certificate (and photo ID) or passport card to enter the US after your cruise.

At Mexican ports you are an 'in transit' cruise passenger and do not need a passport to leave and return to the ship. Taking it ashore or leaving it in your cabin is your choice.

You may need a photo ID (passport, drivers license, etc) to enter the port area and you will need your ship card to board the ship.

Edited by thinfool

I'm going on a Mexican Riviera cruise in January that embarks from Long Beach. My passport expires in June 2017, five months after the cruise. My understanding is I won't need my passport unless I get stuck in Mexico somehow. Is this true? I plan to bring it but I am hoping I don't need to renew it by January. Thanks in advance!

You don't need to renew it before your cruise. As long as it's valid when you return to the US, it'll get you back into the US.

No you do not need to renew it. There are countries which require you have greater than 6 months remaining on your passport but this is not one of those situations. Bring your passport as your ID as it is the best I D you have.

My DH & had a similar dilemma. Ours expire June. We have cruises in December and in June. We have opted to just renew now. Cost $111 per person if you have an undamaged passport. It was painless. Go to the website https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html

and type in your info. Have your old one handy. Print out, sign/date and send in application with old passport and a few weeks later +- we should have our new passports that will last us for ten more years. We also opted to get the more pages, since it didn't cost any additional, even know we only seem to cruise and so far our passports have not been stamped :rolleyes:

Edited by familyoutdoors

A lot of things which are out of my control can go wrong on a trip. Having a passport with six months of validity is something which I can control. Having to fly back is a one in a million possibility - until it happens.

If it were me I'd get the passport renewed and be done with it.

A lot of things which are out of my control can go wrong on a trip. Having a passport with six months of validity is something which I can control. Having to fly back is a one in a million possibility - until it happens.

If it were me I'd get the passport renewed and be done with it.

What could possibly go wrong in Mexico that would cause you to have to stay for 5 months after your cruise? You can fly back to the US up until the day it expires.

What could possibly go wrong in Mexico that would cause you to have to stay for 5 months after your cruise? You can fly back to the US up until the day it expires.

If there is any way to sail without a passport you'll find it and defend it.

Never let a pro-passport response go without challenge.

"If it were me I'd get the passport renewed and be done with it" but that's just me. "Wasting" 5 months of validity is $3.82. I could barely afford to stay home if I had to scrimp that much.

If there is any way to sail without a passport you'll find it and defend it.

Never let a pro-passport response go without challenge.

"If it were me I'd get the passport renewed and be done with it" but that's just me. "Wasting" 5 months of validity is $3.82. I could barely afford to stay home if I had to scrimp that much.

No, I'll find a counter argument so people that are making the decision can consider all sides. People have the right to use the travel documentation that meets their needs and they have the right to know what those alternatives are.

As usual, those who have so far responded to your post forget that it also depends on the cruise line. Quite a few cruise lines require that ALL passengers on ALL itineraries have a passport. What the government requires is not the only consideration.

Once again everyone jumps on their own bandwagons and does not answer the OP's actual question. He simply wanted to know if he had to renew his passport before his next cruise since he would be sailing within 6 months of its expiration.

The simple and correct answer is no he does not. We should not be getting into the whether or not you need a passport argument because he already has one that is current so why not use it. He also does not need to renew it early as that serves him no benefit for the cruise he is about to take and he can then renew it later at his convenience.

Once again everyone jumps on their own bandwagons and does not answer the OP's actual question. He simply wanted to know if he had to renew his passport before his next cruise since he would be sailing within 6 months of its expiration.

The simple and correct answer is no he does not. We should not be getting into the whether or not you need a passport argument because he already has one that is current so why not use it. He also does not need to renew it early as that serves him no benefit for the cruise he is about to take and he can then renew it later at his convenience.

You may want to reread the original post. OP's simple question was "is it true" that s/he "won't need my passport"?

And the simple answer remains that, apart from any government regulations, it depends on the cruise line's own policies and rules.

You may want to reread the original post. OP's simple question was "is it true" that s/he "won't need my passport"?

And the simple answer remains that, apart from any government regulations, it depends on the cruise line's own policies and rules.

It is also true that the OP is asking about a Carnival cruise. Passport notwithstanding, Carnival requires no more than a birth certificate and photo ID for US citizens.

So brief answers were made and were correct in line with what the OP was asking.

Edited by thinfool

It is also true that the OP is asking about a Carnival cruise. Passport notwithstanding, Carnival requires no more than a birth certificate and photo ID for US citizens.

So brief answers were made and were correct in line with what the OP was asking.

Though Long Beach is home to Carnival, it is often confused with San Pedro, 5-10 minutes right down the road. OP did not identify Carnival (at least, there's no indication in the ios app). That said, there's also an Oceania Mexico cruise from LA in January. And O does require passports.

Bottom line remains: new or uncertain cruisers need to know that the providers of transportation may (and often do) have more stringent requirements than do government agencies.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

If one is using the ios app for CC, there is nothing visible associated with the OP's post that says anything about Carnival. That said, there's also an Oceania Mexico cruise from the SoCal port in January. And O does require passports.

Good point! Signatures dont show in the app...which means posts from the Ios app have a significant limitation.

Otoh, the OP cites sailing from Long Beach California....and there is only one cruise line that boards and sails in the shadow of the Queen Mary.

I did read it and in both cases I actually answered his question. He should bring his passport but he does not have to renew it at this time. Like I said above you might want to answer his question

Yes this is what I was asking. :) I just want to be sure that my passport with five months of validity will be sufficient in the event I miss the ship or get sick and have to fly back to the US from Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. It appears that I should be ok with my current passport and can renew it next spring as I had planned to do originally.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!