Denali in the rain

Cruzin4vacay

We are heading to Denali on the train early tomorrow. Rain is expected all day and the next day when we are doing the tundra tour. I'm so disappointed I can't see any bright side.

We are on a cruise tour so we can't divert.

Any advice? What am I going to do to entertain our multi generation group all afternoon tomorrow? We had planned to hike or do ATVs or even white water raft. All seem miserable w 50s and rain....

Whining now. Sorry.

We had similar weather predicted (weather advisory expecting 3 in of rain). We were there for three nights. It ended up being cloudy for part of the time and raining some on our shuttle bus trip. But it didnt rain as much as predicted. We didn't see the mountain but we saw lots of wildlife, amazing scenery, and did some hiking. Our bus driver said that more animals are visible when it is cooler. I am sure it is spectacular in better weather but we still had a good time.

Denali visitor center has a nice indoor exhibit that can occupy a bit of time.

They also have free sessions/demonstrations with the Park Service's dog teams. Although I don't know if heavy rain will affect that, light rain didn't seem to deter anyone when we went.

I believe the Wilderness Access Center also has 20 minute interpretive film.

There are plenty of shops in "Glitter Gulch" across from the HAL/Princess properties about a mile from the park entrance. Main lodge also has various board games and plenty of open space in which to play them. I don't know if you have to be a HAL/Princess guest to access them though.

I bet you can get real creative in such situations, as well as the group! If not, ask at the lodge, visitor center etc...

Not everyone may have wanted to do the same thing anyway while in Denali. There is still wildlife out and about, just differently.

I Am sure there will be lots of things to do and see, if you do not mind it raining. Torrential rains are a different story, for sure....

This is not the first time that groups have arrived at Denali and it rained, there will be something which will be recommended on how to enjoy....

Go, enjoy and plan as you go... the sun may show itself and be quite pleasant.

bon voyage!

Edited by Bo1953

Yikes, you are visiting the wrong place if rain is of such concern?? With a cruise tour, unfortunately, you are fixed. The train isn't going to get you there until 4pm so maybe take your time with dinner?

You are paying for the TWT, up to you if you want to skip it. It is an ever changing journey that has a wide range of weather. Not sure why the rain is so significant to you? You won't be walking in. :) But with a group, it's doubtful everyone thinks the same? Wait until you get there, and determine- the touring, no point in over planning. I've seen a LOT of people reading, sitting etc in lobbies.

Hopefully you did bring with you, at least minimal rain protection?

I've made several trips into Denali and EVERY ONE of them has been in the rain, even a little snow !!!

Regardless of the bad weather, I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery and wildlife sightings. Sure it would have been nice to see the mountain and other snow capped peaks, but I sure wasn't disappointed. Loved every moment.

even white water raft. All seem miserable w 50s and rain....

Whining now. Sorry.

Ummm... You won't even notice the rain if you are rafting... You'll be in a dry suit and getting splashed by 38 degree river water.

Weather in Alaska is random and hard to predict. So here's the key: hope for the best, be prepared for the worse and get out and have fun no matter what!!

You can still take the bus into the park. Just wear rain gear. BTW - that is yet another reason why taking guided tours is bad. You can't modify your schedule to fit the weather.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We are heading to Denali on the train early tomorrow. Rain is expected all day and the next day when we are doing the tundra tour. I'm so disappointed I can't see any bright side.

We are on a cruise tour so we can't divert.

Any advice? What am I going to do to entertain our multi generation group all afternoon tomorrow? We had planned to hike or do ATVs or even white water raft. All seem miserable w 50s and rain....

Whining now. Sorry.

No whining! We just did the Tundra Tour yesterday in the misty foggy weather and it was fabulous! We saw tons of animals that were very close to the bus! We saw 4 grizzlies which the bus driver said was pretty rare and one came out of the woods and walked down the entire length of the bus! We also saw 13 moose very close and 7 Caribou. Enjoy!!

We were in Denali over the weekend. We had the same forecast but it was not a total washout, you just go with the flow. It doesn't impact the animals. According to our driver on the TWT it has rained 40 of the past 45 days. The worst part of it, IMO is that the colors are all washed out so pictures are dull. On Sunday we saw six brown bear, including a sow with two cubs, too many caribou to count, a moose, numerous Dall sheep, i.e. the big four of animals.

No whining is allowed. You will have a great time.

We saw 4 grizzlies which the bus driver said was pretty rare and one came out of the woods and walked down the entire length of the bus! Enjoy!!

We had one that slowly circled our bus. I wonder if it was the same one. It seemed totally unconcerned; like he was completely used to being around the buses. I didn't realize what was happening. I was on the opposite size of the bus and couldn't see out a window. So I went to look out the front door and the bear was right walking by the door. I just about jumped out of my skin.

• 2 weeks later...

Try to get an early departure (6 AM). We had some fog, but then it cleared and the mountain was out on both our trips. People traveling later had rain the whole trip and didn't see the bears and wolf packs we did. Of course on your trip it may rain early and clear later.....

Try to get an early departure (6 AM). We had some fog, but then it cleared and the mountain was out on both our trips. People traveling later had rain the whole trip and didn't see the bears and wolf packs we did. Of course on your trip it may rain early and clear later.....

A little late, look at the OP. It was 10 days ago and they were going the next day.