Upgrade request was denied.... :(

Long story short. I booked two guarantee inside cabins when first booked, then cabin assignment was made, then asked to put it back to the guarantee pool, then the cabins were assigned again. Right now, the oceanview guarantee cabin is cheaper than what I paid for inside cabin guarantee and it is also past the final payment date.

Therefore, I asked my travel agent to put two inside cabins back to oceanview guarantee pool, but was told that the upgrade request was denied by Royal Caribbean. Is there anything I can do right now? Could I call Royal Caribbean by myself? Thanks for any advice.

If your booking is held by a travel agent, then you cannot call RC directly about changing your stateroom or category.

It's possible that the price of the OV guarantee is restricted to new bookings. Sometimes you can get Resolutions to waive the new booking requirement, but in my experience, they are more likely to do that if you are paying more money for the upgrade. It's worth a shot to tell the travel agent to ask for Resolutions.

OV guarantee is not restricted to new bookings and it is cheaper than what I paid for inside guarantee. Travel agent told me that upgrade request was denied due to I had asked to put the cabins back to the guarantee pool twice. That’s what I was told.

I have always read on CC that once your room was assigned you could change to any other open room in that category? Why did you have to go back into the pool?? Wouldn't you have just picked different rooms that were open that you liked?

OV guarantee is not restricted to new bookings and it is cheaper than what I paid for inside guarantee. Travel agent told me that upgrade request was denied due to I had asked to put the cabins back to the guarantee pool twice. That’s what I was told.

I would ask your agent to try again. So often with Royal Caribbean when you call a second time you get a different answer

Would you imagine having a business and selling a product for $10,

then 2 months later you find you can't sell as many as you thought so you reduce the price to or you come up with a better more valuable product that you can still sell for $8

If all the previous buyers from 2 months ago came to you and demanded $2 refund and gave you back the original product for the new one, would you do it?

Better yet, if you had sold out and you realize you could get $15 for your product, would you demand all your customers to came back and give you $5 more?

If the cruise goes up in price, as in many cases it does, if Royal Caribbean calls you to pay more money after final payment would you?

I'm not familiar with a rule limiting how often you can go back into a pool, so I can't really advise if you can get around it.

I just changed our cabin a second time after getting our ocean view guarantee assignment. No problem changing it at all. We started out with an inside and switched to a guarantee ocean view for a little more money. This was well after final payment.

Gwen [emoji3]

I just changed our cabin a second time after getting our ocean view guarantee assignment. No problem changing it at all. We started out with an inside and switched to a guarantee ocean view for a little more money. This was well after final payment.

Gwen [emoji3]

Think " a little more money" is the key here.

We paid for an OV for our Aug 26th Enchantment. A huge residency discount came up which made a balcony guarantee less than I paid for the OV.

So I called and changed to the D2 GTY for no extra money. Did this while sitting at the airport waiting to come home

Got home, and the next day they assigned our cabin to a D1 Balcony from our Oceanview. I did not like the location, so I looked to see what was available and called and had them move me to the cabin I wanted

All with no extra $$. If it is after final and a category above what you booked is less than what you paid you can call and get upgraded for free. I have done this numerous times.

Problem with some TA's is they don't want to do that as their commission will go down. But I have never had a problem upgrading after final for free if the price drops below what I paid for a lower category.

I'm not familiar with a rule limiting how often you can go back into a pool, so I can't really advise if you can get around it.

I don't really understand why those booking under North American rules ask to be out back in the "pool" when they can change cabins to any within the same category. from what I gave read mist are reassigned the she cabin or another one in the same category. Personally I would just find the best cabin in the assigned category and switch to that rather than waste time being put back in the pool hoping to get assigned a better category.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I don't really understand why those booking under North American rules ask to be out back in the "pool" when they can change cabins to any within the same category. from what I gave read mist are reassigned the she cabin or another one in the same category. Personally I would just find the best cabin in the assigned category and switch to that rather than waste time being put back in the pool hoping to get assigned a better category.

That's what I did. The first guarantee was way forward, second from the most forward. I just called and ask what else was available and I got one a little farther towards the mid section. Only thing is, that it still has the 2 portholes, which is what I really didn't want, but it is what it is and I will keep an eye on it, hoping something else might pop up.

Gwen :)

That's what I did. The first guarantee was way forward, second from the most forward. I just called and ask what else was available and I got one a little farther towards the mid section. Only thing is, that it still has the 2 portholes, which is what I really didn't want, but it is what it is and I will keep an eye on it, hoping something else might pop up.

Gwen :)

Keep checking. Not sure if you are last final payment or not but as you get closer to final payment you may find cabins suddenly becoming available as people cancel or travel agents release unsold group bookings back to inventory.

We paid for an OV for our Aug 26th Enchantment. A huge residency discount came up which made a balcony guarantee less than I paid for the OV.

So I called and changed to the D2 GTY for no extra money. Did this while sitting at the airport waiting to come home

Got home, and the next day they assigned our cabin to a D1 Balcony from our Oceanview. I did not like the location, so I looked to see what was available and called and had them move me to the cabin I wanted

All with no extra $$. If it is after final and a category above what you booked is less than what you paid you can call and get upgraded for free. I have done this numerous times.

Problem with some TA's is they don't want to do that as their commission will go down. But I have never had a problem upgrading after final for free if the price drops below what I paid for a lower category.

Not true. The agent will not get less commission if it is after final payment and the customer is not getting any money back. The commission is based on what the customer paid.

To the OP.... have your agent call again. One can call 3 times and get three different answers.

I agree, but I think you are correct in that people choose to go back in the pool in hopes of getting a better category.

Not true. The agent will not get less commission if it is after final payment and the customer is not getting any money back. The commission is based on what the customer paid.

To the OP.... have your agent call again. One can call 3 times and get three different answers.

The commission is paid on what the passengers paid after final payment date

Only 3:D:D:D

I am OP. The whole story is a little bit long. We are family of 4 including two kids (9 &12) and hope both of the cabins can be as close as possible. The 1st cabin assignment was not ideal, both of cabins were on the same deck, but far from each other. At that time, there was no other cabin available under the same category. Then I asked travel agent to put us back to pool. The 2nd cabin assignment was even worse. Two cabins were signed into two different categories (Q & N) and different deck (Deck 3 and 10). Therefore, I asked travel agent to put us back to pool again, but was denied due to there is no guarantee pool available at that time. Then I asked travel agent to upgrade category Q cabin to N with some money in order to get two cabins can be at least in the same deck. After months, more category N cabins become available and therefore I asked travel agent to change the cabin again to move two cabins next to each other. End of the whole long story. I am wondering whether it was because we changed the cabins too many times.

I guess I don't understand why, if you needed cabins close together, you just wouldn't have selected your own cabins. Yes it costs more but then you wouldn't have this issue.

Someone else did they same thing recently and was angry because the cruise line wouldn't move someone else to accomodate them. That's the risk you take with guarantee cabins.

I am thinking maybe my travel agent didn't even call Royal Caribbean. Below is the partial of the email.......... "I have a road block….RCCL have monitor the changes on this booking..... Blah blah blah....... Therefore, they will not put this reservation back to guarantee pool"