Tipping bartenders?

jabrown40

Avoiding the tip pool is why I palm. While I understand assistants do a lot to keep the place running smoothly (and I did tip the assistant waitress for her efforts), I'd rather not have "my" bartender have to give the majority to other bartenders who didn't lift a finger for us.

And if a bartender is a true professional, he'd take care of those assistants whom he knows make his job easier.

We sailed on Constellation in February.hung out at Martini bar and a couple others. Martini bar was our favorite. We know there is 18% tip but always tip above that. I agree with other posters.these guys work hard. Not for every drink but 2 to 3 times like every other day we drop a $20 in the metal can.we kinda do it right away and you are right.they will remember what you drink and your name real quick.plus extra perks I can't divulge. Our society rewards good service...

They don't forget you. As far as the one previous poster saying he is entitled to same service as others who tip? You may be entitled to it but may not get it.

Wow if a $20 here or there makes or breaks a cruise I'm guessing you shouldn't be going....my thoughts are Ive never seen a hearse pulling a UHaul!

I ain't taking it with me...happy sailing..

I haven't read a post yet where someone stated that they couldn't afford an extra tip of $20 like you freely throw around. The point is that most people feel the 18% they get now is more than fair but if they would get exceptional service they might give more. With their workload, they don't have time to go the extra mile if they want to try and keep all their customers happy. That's on the cruise line for over working them. Working hard and smiling doesn't make the service any better. I don't worry about the U Haul as I'd rather leave money to my family, friends,and favorite charities. Like they say, charity begins at home.

Please remember one thing, whether you tip or not, always say please and thank you, as my mum always taught us,

" Its nice to be important, but more important to be nice".

Yep, I read posts about pre tipping and tipping big to get great service, but what I read is no better than I get by being nice to people, sure I may tip extra, but never till the end.

I haven't read a post yet where someone stated that they couldn't afford an extra tip of $20 like you freely throw around. The point is that most people feel the 18% they get now is more than fair but if they would get exceptional service they might give more. With their workload, they don't have time to go the extra mile if they want to try and keep all their customers happy. That's on the cruise line for over working them. Working hard and smiling doesn't make the service any better. I don't worry about the U Haul as I'd rather leave money to my family, friends,and favorite charities. Like they say, charity begins at home.

Charity by definition is the generous actions or donations to aid the poor, ill, or helpless.

I would not think that keeping it for yourself or your family would qualify if you can afford to cruise, however, I take your point, it is your money and as such you can do as you wish.

Edited by MicCanberra

If I sign a receipt, the tip goes into the "pool", right?

No! That was my impression also so I asked several different bartenders and waiters how the system works. I received the same information from all of them so I have no reason to doubt it.

Let´s say you add 1 $ to the paper slip (beverage package or not). The $ goes directly to the waiter noted as your waiter on the receipt. However, they do "spread" a part of it to the ones behind the counters mixing drinks etc.

We usually have the packages included because we often book on board. So I also wondered how they get the service charge when we don´t pay for a drink. Simple - when they slide your card for a drink the 18% goes to the crew but you are not charged. Another way to make sure they are still interested in giving you good service and asking you if you want more. Package or not, they receive a tip for every drink you have.

Sometimes we tip extra, sometimes we don´t. I would never blame anybody for giving extra. We have utmost respect for the services of the crew and their hard work.

Please do not tell me that is what they are paid to do. Yes, they are paid to do it - but they are not paid nearly enough to smile, be happy and do everything possible for us to enjoy our vacation while being on board 24/7 for months and far away from their loved ones while ours are zipping on a drink right next to us... served by them with a genuine smile.

For the ones with the overgrown feeling of entitlement loudly refusing to tip extra and blaming others to do so - well, don´t! We won´t change you - don´t try to change others either!

There are 4 of us that cruise together. It may take a day or 2 to find a bartender we like. Then, every day, when we meet for our before dinner drinks, we take turns & tip him/her $5 each day. By the 3rd or 4th night of a 14 night cruise, our drinks come immediately & it is worth every dollar. I don't like putting it on the receipt because, as one bartender told us, those tips are in the tip pool & split based on the drinks served & the level (cost) of the drink - he told us about their point system. I've heard the opposite too so I cannot be sure how that all works but cash in his/her pocket is a sure thing.

I still would love to hear examples of this 'extra service' that justifies tipping more than the already extortionate 18%. If it's just "skipping the line", I feel it's unethical to pay for that.

What else are they doing for you? Shoe shines? Like, I legitimately cannot imagine what 'extra' 'above and beyond' service a bartender can provide that would justify any additional tips.

We take $5s and $1s on a cruise for additional tips. I like to tip an additional buck or two to bartenders, especially at the sunset bar. Doesn't take long for bartenders to get to know us.

Same here, we take lots of $1's and $5's so we always have cash handy. I never add the tip to the slip, always give them cash.

I still would love to hear examples of this 'extra service' that justifies tipping more than the already extortionate 18%. If it's just "skipping the line", I feel it's unethical to pay for that.

What else are they doing for you? Shoe shines? Like, I legitimately cannot imagine what 'extra' 'above and beyond' service a bartender can provide that would justify any additional tips.

That's been discussed a thousand times in countless cc threads. This thread assumes you want to provide an extra gratuity so this may not be the thread for you. Don't begrudge your reluctance to tip an additional amount. Your choice.

Edited by Tommy3putts

Maybe it's just not about the "tip". Maybe it's our way of saying thank you.

And 18% is not an outrageous amount for a tip. 20-25% in the San Francisco Bay Area is pretty much the norm.

On Silhouette last year we were with a younger couple from our family and loved the Molecular Bar (sigh). We were in there just about every night and closed the place while trying every drink on the menu. The same two bartenders were always there. Of course, at the end of the cruise, I gave them each a tip.

I would assume the 18% on a beverage plan goes into a pool for the entire ship. If a bertender is taking good care of you, of course a few bucks is not over the top.

it may well be that some posters are simply 'generous' .

However most of the staff I have spoken to have great concerns that 'tippers' expect something in return . Indeed I witnessed one tipper berating a barman for not serving him before me. Idiot even called the Bar Manager over [emoji33]. Didnt seem too chuffed when told that the staff are instructed to serve guests in turn.

As my friendly barman on Eclipse said "politeness trumps tips every time"

I dont tip and always get served extremely well and get on with all the staff. Personal choice to tip or not. But tippers should not force their beliefs on others nor expect preferential service.

Sorry I gotta call BS on this one.....I have NEVER seen a bartender (and I've seen thousands) that thinks someone who tips DEMANDS special treatment nor one that doesn't appreciate a good tipper (but they SURE do talk badly about you non tippers) BUT I do know that when they get said tip they do provide it.....which is why I always pre tip when I settle on a favorite bartender ....I don't expect special treatment nor get upset if I don't get it but somehow my martini always ends up in front of me within seconds of me sitting down...:D I always wonder why non tippers always post that based on "their conversations" with staff....why would you have a conversation about tipping with staff if you don't tip, I never have and I do tip....again, calling BS on that one too!

There are 4 of us that cruise together. It may take a day or 2 to find a bartender we like. Then, every day, when we meet for our before dinner drinks, we take turns & tip him/her $5 each day. By the 3rd or 4th night of a 14 night cruise, our drinks come immediately & it is worth every dollar. I don't like putting it on the receipt because, as one bartender told us, those tips are in the tip pool & split based on the drinks served & the level (cost) of the drink - he told us about their point system. I've heard the opposite too so I cannot be sure how that all works but cash in his/her pocket is a sure thing.

Funnily enough we get that service without the tipping up front but then we reward the waiter/bartender at the end with a more substantial tip. Each to their own.:D

I agree with SheriffJoe, the only reason I mentioned I tip extra is because I receive beyond outstanding service. It has never even crossed my mind that because I tip extra I should get better service than non tippers. And how would I ever know if someone tips extra and why would I care. You do what you gotta do.

I do what I have to do.

As far as what I've seen they always take customers in order as long as they see them at bar.

I'm not throwing $20 tips around. I personally am happy I am not waiting on the poster in a bar or restaurant. It beats constantly giving them a dollar everytime they make a drink. I'd rather tip more once or twice during cruise then onsey twosey.

But like I said you it do what your conscience tells you. But do one thing! Enjoy Your Cruise!!!

Sorry I gotta call BS on this one.....I have NEVER seen a bartender (and I've seen thousands) that thinks someone who tips DEMANDS special treatment nor one that doesn't appreciate a good tipper (but they SURE do talk badly about you non tippers) BUT I do know that when they get said tip they do provide it.....which is why I always pre tip when I settle on a favorite bartender ....I don't expect special treatment nor get upset if I don't get it but somehow my martini always ends up in front of me within seconds of me sitting down...:D I always wonder why non tippers always post that based on "their conversations" with staff....why would you have a conversation about tipping with staff if you don't tip, I never have and I do tip....again, calling BS on that one too!

its because the staff raise the issue about SOME tippers believing they have bought the right to be treated better . perhaps its because , having worked for decades in the UK in various service industries I take the the time to be polite , non- patronising and use express sincere respect .

No BS ( ??) just honest respect to everyone [emoji41]

REALLY? how about a 'generous' pour of liquor in your cocktail, a la you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. :D I tip +$1 cash with every cocktail and I'm happy with the result - Win - win.

2 for 1 :D

Lots of things may qualify for 'above and beyond'. Bringing your drinks to you prior to asking for them, generous pours, bringing the second drinks prior to finishing the first, having a chat when convenient, some may feel they should all do this but you know when they are going that bit further than what others who are just doing their job are doing.:D

I have the feeling that no matter what anyone says, it would not be good enough for you. BTW nobody suggested "skipping the line" Just admit that you don't like to tip.

If you frequent a restaurant without tipping, I wonder what they do to your food before serving it to you. :eek:

Edited by ChucktownSteve