What to wear

lneilan

I see that Holland America expects men to always wear slacks or a suit to dinner, but are jeans okay for just around the ship? My husband only ever wants to wear jeans.

Around the ship no worries.

Just got off the Prinsendam three days ago and this is what I observed. During the day onboard ship, wear anything you want (within reason) The Lido is always relaxed dress even on gala nights (lots of jeans in there even on gala nights) On smart casual nights in dining room women wore usually casual pants (not jeans) and tops, men the same. On Gala nights we saw only two tuxes, most men wore a tie with about 3/4s wearing jackets. My husband opted this time for a nice sweater with a tie as he is always cool in the dining room. Of course you always have the people who appear to wear the same pair of t-shirts and shorts with flipflops the entire cruise and never go to the dining room. It takes all kinds. :)

I see that Holland America expects men to always wear slacks or a suit to dinner, but are jeans okay for just around the ship? My husband only ever wants to wear jeans.

On "Gala" nights, collared shirt and slacks are required. Your husband may continue to dress in coat and tie if he desires, but it is not a requirement. Many men continue to dress in coat and tie, suits, or rarely, tuxes.

Jeans are fine around the ship.

Edited by RJ2002

Apart from Gala nights very few men wear jackets to dinner, although they certainly can! Long sleeved shirts and nice slacks are good.

Jeans are fine for around the ship and for regular causal night dinners. Can likely get away with jeans on Gala nights, too (sigh).

Jeans are fine at any time, with a couple of limitations. "Distressed" jeans aren't allowed in the MDR and specialty restaurants at dinner time on casual evenings, but there's no general prohibition on jeans. Also, no jeans are allowed on gala nights.

Jeans are fine at any time, with a couple of limitations. "Distressed" jeans aren't allowed in the MDR and specialty restaurants at dinner time on casual evenings, but there's no general prohibition on jeans. Also, no jeans are allowed on gala nights.

DH always wears a coat and tie on gala night. He has been known to wear nice jeans (with a crease from the cleaners) to dinner on regular nights with a button down collar shirt and his leather driving shoes.

Most of the time I have seen the majority of both men and women wear dressy jeans in the MDR without a jacket on casual evenings. No jeans on gala nights but a jacket and tie are no longer required for men.

On European cruises, people tend to dress better. My DW will wear a dress to dinner, and reminds me to wear a sport coat. European men might wear blue jeans with a coat and tie for dinner. I should look so good.

From reading CC posts, I knew to expect a somewhat more relaxed view of "dressing up" in Alaska. First cruise there I did scale back. But second trip I actually went more formal than usual. The difference for us is we just drive to embarkation in Vancouver so I could pack heavier clothes and more shoes that usually don't make the cut if we fly.