Who's your favourite Royal Caribbean Captain?

I have to put in another vote for Captain Johnny - sailed with him on a "Hogs on the High Seas" cruise on Mariner and he rode his motorcycle down the promenade. The crowd went nuts.

And I'm going to vote for Captain Shawn McDuff. The only (or one of the few) non-nordic captains. Although, not by much. Is there that much of a difference between Norway and Canada? Either way, a fine captain and great guy.

Two Captain's we enjoyed were

Capt Hernan Zini and Capt Bill Wright. Unfortunately neither are still at the helm of a Royal ship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Edited by oneputt18

Captain Johnny and Captain Rob are both big personalities and I've enjoyed cruises with them. I just remember Captain Rob giving the noon report while docked in Cozumel.

We are docked in Cozumel, joined by the Carnival Irritation and the Carnival Aggravation. Our speed is 0 knots ... because we're docked. The depth beneath our keel is about approaching 10 feet ... because we're docked.

My vote goes to Captain Johnny Faevelen, he is the funniest. But I would like to mention Capt. Gus Anderson, he is very down to earth.

Edited by Pipo

I think my favorite captain would have to be Captain Teo Strazicic. (I not positive, but I think he's in Miami now at corporate.) He had a great personality and seemed to enjoy his job very much.

I remember him well from a decade or so ago on Rhapsody as he was very personable and friendly. He held the Captain's Corner Q&A session and one of the questions was this: "If Rhapsody has the equivalent of a 10+ story building above the water and only about 25 feet below the water, how is it that she doesn't tip over when the wind blows?"

Captain Teo appeared to consider the question carefully and thoughtfully, and then he turned to the man, held out his hands palm up, and, in a very serious tone, said "Hell if I know!" As you can imagine, the room erupted with laughter. After we all calmed down, the captain explained the engineering, told us that all the really heavy stuff is in the bottom of the ship, and reassured all that Rhapsody would not tip over.

Another really memorable captain is Captain Rick Sullivan. (Geez - maybe it's Rhapsody that brings out the personality...Captain Rick was also on Rhapsody when we first met him.) He 'unleashed the fury' with his performance of 'Wild Thing' with Derek Lewis in the Schooner Bar one night...and won a Del Sol color changing ring! That was memorable! (here's the link to video of part of it:)

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Seriously, I'd have to go with Tor Olsen. Played 3-card poker with him on Freedom during celebrity dealer night. lots of fun. Anyone know where he is now? His replacement was a real stick in the mud.

I'm always surprised to see these threads about the best Captain or Cruise Director. In all of my cruises, I honestly cannot remember the name of a single Captain or CD. I have never had any interaction with either of them. Am I missing something?

Any captain who gets me there safely!

Seriously, most of the "favorites" are based on personality and interaction with the passengers. More important though is the ability to make correct decisions in face of potential danger. When that becomes the prime factor, few if any of us, have the information to make a rational decision.

Oh, you are talking about Captain Obvious! He's my favourite too :-)

Any captain who gets me there safely!

Seriously, most of the "favorites" are based on personality and interaction with the passengers. More important though is the ability to make correct decisions in face of potential danger. When that becomes the prime factor, few if any of us, have the information to make a rational decision.

Absolutely the most important factor. Personality's also an added bonus.

They should be interacting with passengers and be visible around the ship.

A key factor for me, is how they run their ship and manage their crew.

Along with an excellent personality and being visible around the ship, Captain Johnny had a great working relationship with his crew and as a result they were motivated to provide an excellent service. The same could not be said for some other ships I've been on.

I've looked at the schedule and it looks like Captain Johnny will be off Harmony when I'm probably going to be on :(, so how's Captain Gus?

I'm always surprised to see these threads about the best Captain or Cruise Director. In all of my cruises, I honestly cannot remember the name of a single Captain or CD. I have never had any interaction with either of them. Am I missing something?

CDs? I generally don't remember, most of them are cheesy and samey.. I tend to remember individual entertainment team members who put in extra effort and make our journeys memorable.

Same with Captains. Too often you don't see them, or you get mumbled matter of fact announcements over the tannoy. Yes, they may get you to your destination safe but will you remember them? No. Clearly not. I tend to make a note of the approx age and nationality as a board..

Oh, and must add I am not high in C&A programme so don't get to mingle with Captains and officers...but there is no way I would forget the experience sailing on Vision and how Capt Marek made the journey memorable - and the staff&crew followed his example. Everyone were wonderful - though rushed in the MDR, but hardly a surprise.

Never before has a Captain seen us off the ship, to wish us safe journey home as we left. Wow.

I don't often remember them, but do remember and really liked Captain Lis on Vision of the seas, she was on for our Transatlantic and was present all around the ship and at the events, we liked her booming 'good morning, good morning' announcements which were clear enough to hear and she was even at the gang plank on the last day answering questions and saying goodbye to people. She definately stays in our memory.

Captain Johnny is amazing. Great communication skills!! What ship is he currently on?

Tigers2425

Not sure if he has moved from Allure to Harmony yet, but one of those two.