Tipping the Butler

RCI Cruisers 004

We had tips pre paid before the trip, but the day before we debarked we gave extra to concierge, the butler, and the two housekeepers. We had fabulous service. We asked for tipping envelops at guess service, and added a personal note for each person. We were in RS on Solstice. Just returned a week ago, and boy do I want to go back. Enjoy your trip.

Side note we also tipped after each meal in Tuscan, Marano, and Silk harvest. In fact we loved the waiter in Tuscan we went back and requested him again. We had to go through John in concierge to get it done. Don't be afraid to use the Michaels concierge.

Edited by Chicogirl

we just came back from RS stay in Silouhett,and also tipped the Bultler exra at the end.

curious Chicogirl,hope you don't mind: since you said you also tipped the concierge,was it same scale as your butler,more,less? I had a dilemma with that!!

We also tip on the last night. For us, we give the butler more than the concierge because he has always done more for us, but your experience may vary. We also give something to the bartenders and waiters in Michael's who have given us great service throughout our cruise.

We tip butler based on amount we use. Some people use for everything and some seldom use. It is at your discretion, but I think extra tip may be expected if you use their services.

We've sailed in a RS twice and tipped our butlers on the last evening both times.

Also gave extra to the room attendants.

At the time there was no concierge, Michaels club was a bar open to everyone.

For dining we did select, but after a couple of nights, we started to request a specific area/wait staff (both times) and also gave them an extra gratuity.

The ass't maître d' on one cruise was so wonderful to us, making sure every night we were happy with our meals, stopping by for conversation, and even giving us a discount to dine in the Normandy our last night aboard, so we tipped him too.

Both cruises we ate in the above mentioned Normandy and also Qsine, a tip was left for our waiters each time.

In 2 weeks we are sailing for the first time in the PH and will follow suit with what we have done prior adding whatever staff we use in Michaels Club.

We have done it both ways, at the beginning and at the end. We do it at the beginning when there are more things we want done.

Despite what some say there is NO rule about doing it one way or the other.

We've always received great service no matter which way we choose.:)

Why?

I prefer at the end as we are tipping service provided versus tipping up front in hopes of great service. also, what if Butler insulted by our tip if given up front...too uncomfortable for me/us.

Thank you all for the advice/help. We always do pre paid gratuities also but then we also do extra. Looks like we will just wait till the end of the cruise with extra. Good insight on the difference between a tip and a bribe, I never thought of it that way but see how it could be taken as such ! Thanks everyone.

I have only had a butler once, and though I did not greet him with a tip, I did tip him early on after he had provided extra glasses and appetizers for a small gathering the first evening. It didn't feel like a bribe, it seemed to be appreciated, and it set a positive tone for the week.

I have only had a butler once, and though I did not greet him with a tip, I did tip him early on after he had provided extra glasses and appetizers for a small gathering the first evening. It didn't feel like a bribe, it seemed to be appreciated, and it set a positive tone for the week.

Exactly.....:)

I tip whenever the desire to do so hits me.

When we get to the first port, I give everyone money to have lunch "on me." They seem to like that, a lot; I get many thank you notes as a result of it.

I refuse to let anyone tell me how to tip extra....

My only hope is that they don't pool those extra tips with their counterparts.