Who's got crabs?

Kingofcool1947

Booked on 10 day Mexican cruise. Grand Princess. 9/25/16. R/t San Francisco.

Wondering who has fresh, local, not frozen crabs. Is Dungeness crab in season? Can you recommend a good restaurant near the cruise port that serves fresh crab?

Also, is there a Crab Shack on the Grand and is it open nightly? How did you like it? Menu recommendations and items to avoid? Table for 1, or do I need to find someone to dine with me? I would like to give it a try. Is a reservation needed or do they accept walk-ins?

Thanks.

Booked on 10 day Mexican cruise. Grand Princess. 9/25/16. R/t San Francisco.

Wondering who has fresh, local, not frozen crabs. Is Dungeness crab in season? Can you recommend a good restaurant near the cruise port that serves fresh crab?

Also, is there a Crab Shack on the Grand and is it open nightly? How did you like it? Menu recommendations and items to avoid? Table for 1, or do I need to find someone to dine with me? I would like to give it a try. Is a reservation needed or do they accept walk-ins?

Thanks.

Walk down to Fisherman's Wharf where Alioto's is located. They have crab pots there with fresh boiled crabs. Bring a pocket full of money. There's seating outside and people just sit down and go to town on them. You will see lots of restaurants as well advertising dungenous crabs on the menu. Enjoy!

We did the crab shack I believe it was on the Grand. It was good and they bring lots of snow crab, corn on the cob, hush puppies, shrimp. It was just too much for us to eat. Make a reservation.

Edited by elliair

Most of the restaurants and street vendors sell fresh crabs in the wharf area. Pick one but take lots of money (tourist prices) and be patient as they get crowded. We love staying in the wharf area or near Union square. Most Princess ships offer the Crab Shack dinner. It is served in a roped off area of the HC on the lido deck one or more nights. They will advertise it in the Patter but it can be overlooked so watch for it or ask. Reservations are generally required. They put a bucket of crabs, shrimp, corn and potatoes on the center of the table and everyone just digs in. If you need more ask but we have never been able to eat the first serving. It reminds me of Cajun country without the mudbugs.

Most of the restaurants and street vendors sell fresh crabs in the wharf area. Pick one but take lots of money (tourist prices) and be patient as they get crowded. We love staying in the wharf area or near Union square. Most Princess ships offer the Crab Shack dinner. It is served in a roped off area of the HC on the lido deck one or more nights. They will advertise it in the Patter but it can be overlooked so watch for it or ask. Reservations are generally required. They put a bucket of crabs, shrimp, corn and potatoes on the center of the table and everyone just digs in. If you need more ask but we have never been able to eat the first serving. It reminds me of Cajun country without the mudbugs.

Thanks! Very helpful information.

Walk down to Fisherman's Wharf where Alioto's is located. They have crab pots there with fresh boiled crabs. Bring a pocket full of money. There's seating outside and people just sit down and go to town on them. You will see lots of restaurants as well advertising dungenous crabs on the menu. Enjoy!

We did the crab shack I believe it was on the Grand. It was good and they bring lots of snow crab, corn on the cob, hush puppies, shrimp. It was just too much for us to eat. Make a reservation.

Thank you!

The Dungeness crab season, in the CA coastal areas, was a bust during the season because of unacceptable levels of some kind of neurotoxin. This delayed the beginning of the season by a couple of months. We sure missed our crab during the holiday season. Crab from north of CA was available locally but was quite high priced, and not too plentiful due to the late start. Recreational crabbing ended today, 7/30.

Here's the menu & I recall reading that the price has increased from $20 (to $29 ?):

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/crab_shack-fleet-29-apr-14.pdf

I enjoyed the Crab Shack & will do it again...lots of food & they provide an apron to not get your clothes dirty.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Here's the menu & I recall reading that the price has increased from $20 (to $29 ?):

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/crab_shack-fleet-29-apr-14.pdf

I enjoyed the Crab Shack & will do it again...lots of food & they provide an apron to not get your clothes dirty.

Thanks for Crab Shack menu. Can 2 people share 1 order? The usual dress code?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thanks for Crab Shack menu. Is it all you can eat? If not, can 2 people share 1 order? The usual dress code?

We each ordered a meal & it was all we could eat. ;)

I've read posts saying they could get seconds & some who were told no so it can vary. The meal is per person & not intended to be shared but have read that not every passenger needs to order the meal. Some have said they could get food from the buffet & eat with someone who had the Crab Shack.

It's in an aft section of the buffet so it's casual clothing.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Lol. I do wish people would think before they type. Best title for a thread for a while - made my morning :D:D

Oh, he thought it out all right! Look at the amount of hits on this blog! We did the Regal last Feb. We missed out on the Crab shack, unfortunately. Looks like it was a good meal. We did, however do the Valentine meal in the buffet. It was about $90/couple. The meal was by far the best on the ship. Kind of a tasting meal with this outstanding "pink" Brazilian Lobster. Only the chef's table would have been this good. Much better than Crown Grill/Sabatini's.

Try zinc ointment, it usually takes care of crabs. :p

I don't recall my Dr. asking me too many embarrassing questions as to where/how I managed to "attract some", before he wrote out an Rx for me. Fortunately the pharmacist didn't bat an eye.