Pokemon on ships?

topspin1267

Ignore the snarks!:rolleyes:

But in answer to your question, No.:eek::p Tech isn't there yet. The underlying system is based on GPS in a static space. Ships move. There may or may not be Pokemon available in some ports of call, as it's going world wide. Maybe some Pokemon forums have a listing of where its available. But unless your cell carrier has a great out of US plan, or the area where Pokemon is up and running has wifi, you'll most likely pick up expensive roaming charges.

Hey topspin! R U on the Valor in September? Out of Port Canaveral?

If so, head to the Florida Departures board. Just saw a thread on Pokemon gyms at the port, well at least at the Cove where the restaurants are and some information on where to find other gyms in the area.

like it was stated above it's GPS based so it would be difficult on the ship, but I'm sure it will be in a port near you soon. Maybe in the harbors when the ship is docked? Anyway, sorry for the people who weren't polite, it's your cruise, and Pokeman all you want. I don't do it, but I do think it's kind of cute to be driving with my 18 year old and hear from the back seat, "Oh I just got a pokeman" or whatever terminology he uses.

I caught a Ponyta in Belize City while we were on the bus to our cavetubing. Saw several gyms and snagged a few items at various pokestops around the city. Once we got out of the city they got more scarce.

Oh and we enjoyed our cruise tremendously even though we played a little Pokémanz. Imagine that! 😀

This has been discussed before!

Here is the article about it from Cruise Critic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7126

Pokemon lives on land. It has nothing to do with the internet on the ship as the characters are not out swimming in the ocean. To invite them to a particular spot the business(store, restaurant ship etc)has to pay for a "lure".

One pizza place in NY did this and their business boomed!! Not every business is doing it sooooo play on land and not on the ship.

I'm not sure I understand this " it's GPS based so it would be difficult on the ship" I bring a hand held Garmin I use on my boat on all my cruises, it's fun to track the trip.

Yeah I don't really think the GPS part is why it doesn't work at sea. GPS is everywhere. But the game does require an active Internet connection too and you have to pay for the one on board ship. We didn't pay so we didn't play on ship. We probably could have and even if no Pokemon were present on board we still could have gotten credit for kilometers walked to hatch eggs. When I was in Belize my T-Mobile plan covered me for unlimited data at 2g/3g speeds and that was sufficient to play the game as we rode around town on the tour bus.

I'm not sure I understand this " it's GPS based so it would be difficult on the ship" I bring a hand held Garmin I use on my boat on all my cruises, it's fun to track the trip.

I think they mean that the Pokemon are distributed to "static" locations on land--in countries where the game has launched--like geocaching. The game uses the GPS on your phone to figure out if you're near one of those STATIC spawn points. The spawn points are created by the game servers and they don't change. For example there are a couple of spawn points I can always see from my apartment, but there are zero anywhere near my office.

These spawn points have not been distributed over the world's oceans, as far as I know.

However, and I've typed this several times today, there's an in-game item called Incense that causes Pokemon to spawn at YOUR location (only YOUR game client will see it) whether there are spawn points there or not. I'm pretty sure this will work at sea--connection permitting--but haven't been able to test it myself.

(For those who keep quoting the CC article, lures are not the same as incense.)

I hope not.

Sick of getting ran into by people who don't watch where they're going because they've got their eyes on their phone chasing a poke, I think I'll start dropping my shoulder.

I hope not.

Sick of getting ran into by people who don't watch where they're going because they've got their eyes on their phone chasing a poke, I think I'll start dropping my shoulder.

Interesting. I live in a very tech and gaming-oriented metro and I haven't been run into by anyone yet. Where is this happening to you? Grocery store and such? And it's a regular occurrence?

Interesting. I live in a very tech and gaming-oriented metro and I haven't been run into by anyone yet. Where is this happening to you? Grocery store and such? And it's a regular occurrence?

Mainly in busy streets, multiple times a day.

Wonder if they are "early birds special" do they need passports too? :rolleyes:

or are they stow aways....:eek:

I have no desire to play this game... my ds plays it at times.. but yes there are lots of people of all ages playing... and some are not watching where they are going

a pokeman spot or whatever it's called is specific to a static spot a GPS coordinate. Say at joes pizza on the corner of 10th and main right inside the door. that spot doesn't move relative to the GPS coordinate. If you put a pickup spot say for example on the lido deck right by the elevator door, that is constantly moving relative to the GPS coordinate when the ship is in motion. It's not always in the same GPS coordinate spot.

I'm sure my terminology is all wrong both for GPS language and Pokemon language, but I hope that helps.

Someone could I suppose put random lures around the ocean in GPS coordinates and you could maybe catch them at sea, but I can see it now, people falling off balconies trying to lean out to get one.

There is one pokestop in the ocean. An old rig of some sort.

http://player.mashpedia.com/player.php?q=YquS-xdTpdw

About the 1:46 mark.

NSFW Video- rude placements of certain Pokemon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Maybe if your ship is on a Western Australian cruise and stops in Perth, they'll have an excursion to the wreck. But I would doubt very seriously any cruise ship captain would ever sail close enough to the wreckage for someone on board to snatch whichever pokemon critters rest there.

But again note this is a static spot. Whether or not Incense or Lure would really work well on a ship needs to be explored. But I can only imagine the additional $$$$ any cruise line would try to squeeze out of you for that package.

Edited by crewsweeper

Two big issues with it at sea

1) GPS - would probably work fine on deck but once you get inside the ship, the signal won't make it in as well. As other have said, spawn and stops are at locations so other than the occasional random one, chances are you won't see much.

2) Internet - the game relies HEAVILY on the network connection. It is constantly exchanging data with the servers about where you are, where the critters are, etc... It can be pretty sensitive to bad connections, and on-board is a textbook example of that. It would require the step above the social wifi package to work, so cost vs benefit would be low, unless they have lots of eggs to hatch. But since it tracks movement based on GPS and only counts if you're going below (from what I've been told) 10mph, general open ocean cruising is faster than that (9knots).

Then once you're in port somewhere, you have another data issue - is your phone going to work on the local cellular and at what cost to you? If you're someplace with wifi, that may allow some captures, but if you're out and about, the requirement of connectivity could again make this a costly proposition.

As for growing up - you have to grow older, you don't have to grow up!

I'm on Sunshine next week and plan to put my phone on airplane mode, while connecting to the ships wifi. If the app works, I'll probably use an incense to see if that will attract any Pokemon, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I am hoping that we'll be able to find ones at the ports that are not available in the US.

I'm on Sunshine next week and plan to put my phone on airplane mode, while connecting to the ships wifi. If the app works, I'll probably use an incense to see if that will attract any Pokemon, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I am hoping that we'll be able to find ones at the ports that are not available in the US.

Please report back, I am very curious from a technical standpoint. In return I will have your back against the haters, promise. =D

Please report back, I am very curious from a technical standpoint. In return I will have your back against the haters, promise. =D

Deal!! Although...haters gonna hate...and its all fair in love and war/battles for Pokemon! [emoji6]

I can't stand this game. Reason is, I buried my son back in April and they say cemeteries have more games stops or whatever than any other place. I was taught not to play in a cemetery and that it was a sacred place. I go to the cemetery everyday and there's normally between 3-10 cars driving all over the place out there playing the game. They drive up on the grass, hit graves and throw their trash out. They have been the most inconsiderate people I've ever seen. Nothing matters except the game.

I can't stand this game. Reason is, I buried my son back in April and they say cemeteries have more games stops or whatever than any other place. I was taught not to play in a cemetery and that it was a sacred place. I go to the cemetery everyday and there's normally between 3-10 cars driving all over the place out there playing the game. They drive up on the grass, hit graves and throw their trash out. They have been the most inconsiderate people I've ever seen. Nothing matters except the game.

Not as bad as your situation, and sorry about your boy, but yes inconsiderate has been my experience too, walking into you driving on the grass in parks with signs saying not to etc.