Tagging Your Bags

ppmanusa

We got new luggage!!!

Thought this might be fun, What markers do you use?

We have the ugliest red fabric bags and marked both, one with a huge M & the other with a P. Both bags also we fluffy balls

New bags we were talking about painting the wheel rims, what's your system

Edited by ppmanusa

We got new luggage!!!

New luggage is always fun :)

I use very distinctive crocheted yarn ties. A friend twisted three different brightly colored yarns together to make a multicolored single rope to crochet with. I put a couple on every suitcase.

Another friend uses big pieces of duct tape in several different bright colors and makes designs on both sides of her suitcases.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

We got new luggage!!!

We have the ugliest red fabric bags and marked both, one with a huge M & the other with a P. Both bags also we fluffy balls

New bags we were talking about painting the wheel rims, what's your system

Painting the wheels would certainly be unique but not sure how effective that would be helping you locate your luggage as the wheels will be low in your sight line with the bags lined up in mass.

When retiring and starting to cruise I soon realized that what worked on an airline luggage carrousel was not so effective in a cruise terminal with a thousand other bags. I stood there looking over the room and asked myself what colors/markers is no one else using. Red was most common color and cloth the material.

Later when spotting yellow shopping bags from Dollar General, I knew that was my unique marker. I split one in half, tied each half on both luggage handles and presto, instant bag identification in a sea of thousands. But the joke is on me...now I spend my time helping friends find their oh-so-proper bags!

We were able to find some extremely tough luggage tags in red for my bags and purple for my wife's bag with a good sized "K", our last name initial, on the back. They are attached with a stainless steel wire to the handle and have proven to extremely rugged and have survived probably eight plus years of pretty frequent travel including four International trips. I'm caught between the notion of being able to quickly identify our luggage and doing something that calls unneeded attention. Of course I also hate the notion of messing up some nice luggage so I shy away from painting or otherwise marking our luggage.

I made handle covers for our bags from hunter's florescent orange fleece and sewed them firmly around the handles. They serve two purposes. They're easy to spot and they make the handles a little padded and softer to grip.

We recently bought new luggage in preparation for our trip to London and the QM2 return. I had some yellow duct tape of some-sort-of-design, so I put strips of that on both sides of each piece. Amazingly, the tape stayed on. (Thank you, Dollar Tree!) I later found out that the design was actually macaroni and cheese - no wonder it stayed on! Love macaroni and cheese. Anyway, it worked, and the bags were easily spotted.

I like the suggestion of putting the same distinctive feature on your carry-on, giving the porters an easier job of locating the luggage.

I bought at the Dollar Tree some stuffed multi colored inch worms. Each segment is a different color and I laced them over the handle. Real easy to spot in a sea of luggage and no one will think it is there luggage.

I made handle covers for our bags from hunter's florescent orange fleece and sewed them firmly around the handles. They serve two purposes. They're easy to spot and they make the handles a little padded and softer to grip.

I knitted something similar, thinking that the "feel" of these handle covers would alert the person picking it up that it is not his/her bag.

I have Holland America luggage tags that I won in some activities years ago (when they were still having daytime activities, with good prizes). I have them on the unused suitcase handle, and they have stayed pretty well. I show the porter the one on my carry-on, and he finds the matching tags on my large suitcase.

Funny how, even in a HAL disembarkation lounge, the other suitcases don't have the same tags!

Second cruise we did (on Costa) we remembered the goat rope of finding our navy blue nondescript bags in the cruise terminal so we bought the most gaudy loud lime green cheapo huge scarf/wrap thing we could find in the ship shop (think it was like $4), cut it into strips, and tied them to the top handles. Never had an issue finding those bags since. :D Been almost 10 years, might aught to buy a new scarf this next cruise :p

I am not sure if I can post the URL of this company. But I went online and designed my own luggage tag. It has my last name, FF numbers on the two major airlines I use, my HAL Mariner ID, phone and found@ email address. The design is easy to catch with my eye with images and colour pallet.

Our cases are a dark blue nylon fabric. I made a stencil of a letter "Z", which is our last initial. I stenciled the Z on each side of the bag using a silver metallic Sharpie marker. I put it on the front, back and all the sides. The handles are wrapped with a colourful patterned duct tape. Our cases are always easy for us to spot, and I don't think anyone could take them by mistake.

So many people use distinctive colours and objects on their bags, so, for us we use nothing. Our non-marked bags are now the minority, and besides I recognize my plain black bag from all the marks and scuffs the airlines donate to it.

:)

I'm a quilter, so have lots and lots of fabric...made some long ties out of several scraps of BRIGHT fabric, so have tied these onto various handles on the bags. They are tough, will not tear (I sewed them into tubes), are hard to remove, etc. Easy to spot.

If you are a woman with a bit of sass in you, go look at the luggage tags on the Anne Tainter website. Pictures of women properly coiffed and dressed from the 40s and 50s. What they are saying is properly snarky and irreverent. I've got a few of these tags - "how does a bombshell like me get through security", "old enough to know better, too young to give a rat's *ss", "think of me as unexpected turbulence". A couple more. For my upcoming HAL cruise, I'd love to use - "a journey of 1000 miles begins with a credit card" and "ever wish you could shoot some people with more than a camera" and "she could see no good reason to act her age." But, then, I'd have to bring more than my carryon to be able to use all three :D

Oh, she has some fun flasks too, for those who want to imbibe discreetly ;)

My current bags that I travel with are either a palm green (my eBags) or a orange/grey combo (my Osprey bags), so they are already a tad different from the pack. I NEVER leave my bag with the porters and I ALWAYS take my bags off the ship myself. I do check my carryon once in awhile on flights so I don't have to fight for overhead and leave the underseat space for my feet. The bag color and my Taintorettes pointing themselves out to me is all I need to find the bag.

Thank you so much everyone you've given so many different ideas, love it!

We still have little bit before vacation, something unique will come to mind. It’s a blank black canvas, the luggage is a hard shell. :)