One less day on with change on Jewel - Not Fair!

AK Dreaming

When we took our Alaska trip in 2012 the flights were very expensive because they were far from our home and when added to the price of the cruise made this trip really need to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip since it would be hard to afford to repeat it. I would have been devastated if they had cancelled Skagway or Glacier Bay which were my favorite parts of the trip. If they have repairs to do to the ship they need to make them on their own time not charge customers for a cruise experience that they are unable to deliver!

Edited by Jana60

The letter they posted a few pages back actually said any unused OBC would be credited back to their credit card so we'll have to see if that actually happens unlike our scenario.

Sorry you guys were guinea pigs, but the response to the Jewel issues -- having passengers stay on board so they don't have to deal with receipts for lodging and flights --and giving refundable OBC suggests that NCL did actually learn from the experience. That's a good thing.

Yes, this compensation does appear low. Maybe there will be a revision next week. But the way you are going, you are headed for a miserable week.

I'm headed for a fantastic week, actually. We put pressure on NCL to do the right thing morally and contractually. Once they realized that doing the wrong thing would affect the bottom line (bad media attention) they promptly did the right thing.

Now I can go on a cruise knowing that despite the fact it's not going to be exactly what was sold to us, that at least the cruise line is doing what they were obligated to do in the first place.

To those who don't think that they cruise line was contractually obligated I suggest you pick up a dictionary and then compare the operative words in section 6 paragraph f. Specifically the word voyage.

From Merriam-Webster:

1: an act or instance of traveling : journey

2: a course or period of traveling by other than land routes <a long sea voyage>

3: an account of a journey especially by sea

Once they returned to the point of embarkation the ship and its passengers are no longer traveling. They have reached their final destination in the travels. If for any other reason than the mechanical failure, which NCL has admitted was the cause, they decided to return to that point - then NCL probably would have a moral obligation but likely not a contractual one.

Because the reason behind the early return is mechanical failure requiring repair, NCL is obligated by the terms of their own contract to refund the day. Further, they're also obligated to provide lodging and/or early return tickets. Because the repairs to the ship do not require them taking the passengers off the ship, they have chosen to provide said lodging on the ship.

However, providing food and lodging on the ship does not constitute a voyage. The voyage will be over and they are required to refund the day that we are missing. And for those of you who read page 1 and skipped to the last page to make a comment, before you do, know that we won exactly what was due to us per the contract. It should come as no surprise that the remedy provided by NCL is the exact remedy described in their contract.

With respect to the refundable OBC, I was told that the refund would show up in my account "7-10 business days following the end of the cruise". If they do not make good on that, I'm pretty sure I know how to fix that problem too. :)

POA cruises are more expensive because of that, but they are also more expensive because it's Hawaii and they're the only game in town. Prices would go up, but I bet they'd be significantly less than POA level, especially with competition.

The customer service issue is solved, so I won't get into that, besides, I try to stay out of all customer service arguments here anyway.

I will say that those who say the contract states one set of conditions for "failure" of the vessel, need to know that since the ship is making its itinerary, there probably is not a "failure" of the pod, but something that needs to be done, preventative maintenance, to keep it from failing, so that clause of the contract may not apply.

As to the price of US flag cruises. NCL does not raise the prices of POA just because "it is Hawaii and they are the only game in town". I know, because I worked there during the time of having three ships out there, and the reason we lost so much money was price pressure from the foreign flag ships coming from the West Coast. Those 14 day cruises cost less than NCL was charging for a 7 day cruise, even when you consider the vast difference in fuel cost of all the sea days back and forth. At the price NCL is charging now, it is about the same as the West Coast cruises, and NCL makes some profit, but not a lot.

A cargo ship with a crew of 20 has been determined to operate at a million dollars a year more under US flag than foreign flag. How about when you have 1000+ crew? Operation of US flag ships, and crew cost is only a part of the expense, would double at a minimum the price of cruising.

When we took our Alaska trip in 2012 the flights were very expensive because they were far from our home and when added to the price of the cruise made this trip really need to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip since it would be hard to afford to repeat it. I would have been devastated if they had cancelled Skagway or Glacier Bay which were my favorite parts of the trip. If they have repairs to do to the ship they need to make them on their own time not charge customers for a cruise experience that they are unable to deliver!

This issue is making me reconsider my choices for next summer. I will need to fly from Boston and pay the solo supplement. Alaska is a dream trip for me but the possibility of something like this happening is disappointing. I know to always expect the unexpected and to roll with it. But am I somewhat safe to assume this doesn't happen very often?

I'm headed for a fantastic week, actually. We put pressure on NCL to do the right thing morally and contractually. Once they realized that doing the wrong thing would affect the bottom line (bad media attention) they promptly did the right thing.

Now I can go on a cruise knowing that despite the fact it's not going to be exactly what was sold to us, that at least the cruise line is doing what they were obligated to do in the first place.

To those who don't think that they cruise line was contractually obligated I suggest you pick up a dictionary and then compare the operative words in section 6 paragraph f. Specifically the word voyage.

From Merriam-Webster:

Once they returned to the point of embarkation the ship and its passengers are no longer traveling. They have reached their final destination in the travels. If for any other reason than the mechanical failure, which NCL has admitted was the cause, they decided to return to that point - then NCL probably would have a moral obligation but likely not a contractual one.

Because the reason behind the early return is mechanical failure requiring repair, NCL is obligated by the terms of their own contract to refund the day. Further, they're also obligated to provide lodging and/or early return tickets. Because the repairs to the ship do not require them taking the passengers off the ship, they have chosen to provide said lodging on the ship.

However, providing food and lodging on the ship does not constitute a voyage. The voyage will be over and they are required to refund the day that we are missing. And for those of you who read page 1 and skipped to the last page to make a comment, before you do, know that we won exactly what was due to us per the contract. It should come as no surprise that the remedy provided by NCL is the exact remedy described in their contract.

With respect to the refundable OBC, I was told that the refund would show up in my account "7-10 business days following the end of the cruise". If they do not make good on that, I'm pretty sure I know how to fix that problem too. :)

The exact remedy in the contract is $0...

"without incurring any liability to the Guest on account thereof for any loss, damage or delay whatsoever, whether consequential or otherwise"

This issue is making me reconsider my choices for next summer. I will need to fly from Boston and pay the solo supplement. Alaska is a dream trip for me but the possibility of something like this happening is disappointing. I know to always expect the unexpected and to roll with it. But am I somewhat safe to assume this doesn't happen very often?

NO, it does NOT happen very often. Equal chance on ANY cruise ship.

Recent examples over the past few years, have had itinerary changes also on Carnival, and Celerity, as example. Celebrity, had cruise cancellations, people stuck in Seward and Ketchikan. So, pointing "blame" at mechanical problems can be spread around.

• 2 months later...
Looks like the azipod issues has happened again and another skipped port.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7284

This time only a $50 OBC was offered.

That's awful. Sounds like a major issue going on here. They are returning a day early like we did or just skipping port? If they are returning a day early I hope the passengers receive adequate compensation.

That's awful. Sounds like a major issue going on here. They are returning a day early like we did or just skipping port? If they are returning a day early I hope the passengers receive adequate compensation.

According to one passenger who just got off the ship they got $50 OBC, 25% off the cruise, and 25% off a future cruise.

According to one passenger who just got off the ship they got $50 OBC, 25% off the cruise, and 25% off a future cruise.

I was on the Jewel MR cruise and we did get a $19 per person port refund, $50 OBC, 25% refund of the fare paid for this cruise and "a future cruise credit for 25% of the fare paid for this cruise, which can be used towards any new cruise booked within 24 months."

It is all about the wording in red above...I think many passengers may think they will get 25% off a future cruise, however if they just look on their closing onboard ship invoice and see the 25% refund they received, they will know how much off they will get on a future cruise.

Edited by jvsnana

I agree that the compensation is low. That being said, I think you are blowing this a little out of proportion because you are sailing out of the place where you live. (Lucky you to have that option btw, the airfare I have to pay to get to any cruise port is well over 1/7 of the cruise cost that you feel you should be getting back). But, while I would be disappointed to have a port I wanted to see missed, My cruise would last the full 7 days and I'm sure I could find something to do in Seattle that last day. So, for those of us who see Seattle as a vacation destination, 100 OBC would probably be perfectly adequate.

I would guess that very few people on your sailing are in your situation as far as being home when you got to Seattle, so they aren't necessarily going to structure the compensation on what would be fair for you.

Mechanical issues happen, and since they sail back to back to back for months at the time, you have to have some understanding that at some point they may have to make a repair that takes longer than a few hours. Someone's vacations was going to be shorted a bit, better give your sailing an extra day in Seattle than have the ship go dead at sea due to the repair not being made!

I was on the Jewel MR cruise and we did get a $19 per person port refund, $50 OBC, 25% refund of the fare paid for this cruise and "a future cruise credit for 25% of the fare paid for this cruise, which can be used towards any new cruise booked within 24 months."

It is all about the wording in red above...I think many passengers may think they will get 25% off a future cruise, however if they just look on their closing onboard ship invoice and see the 25% refund they received, they will know how much off they will get on a future cruise.

Hi JVS - sorry to hear you were on that trip - hopefully you had a great time. Say hi to your DH. DW and I are going on a trip same time this year as last when we met you but going on the Gem.

Hi JVS - sorry to hear you were on that trip - hopefully you had a great time. Say hi to your DH. DW and I are going on a trip same time this year as last when we met you but going on the Gem.

Hi DEX...I have been reading about the craziness you had on POA :eek:

We had a wonderful time on this Jewel cruise...great staff and crew...Bruno was the Concierge and made ship life great for us.

After reading your post on the vagueness of the offer you had, I went back and read the letter we received onboard. I was under the impression we would have 25% off a future cruise, but after reading it again, it clearly states we will receive the SAME 25% of the Jewel cruise fare off a future cruise.

We are happy with the resolution and, of course, we will book again:p

When exactly is your Gem cruise? Would love to run into you and your DW again!

We are taking the Getaway TA in April 2017 and may jump on a Venice cruise while we are in Europe.

[quote=jvsnana;51346495

We had a wonderful time on this Jewel cruise...great staff and crew...Bruno was the Concierge and made ship life great for us.

Is there more than one Concierge or does one person take care of all the Suites?

We are going on our first NCL cruise next month on the Jewel. So glad to hear you liked the crew!

Is there more than one Concierge or does one person take care of all the Suites?

We are going on our first NCL cruise next month on the Jewel. So glad to hear you liked the crew!

One Concierge for the Jewel. Consider it a treat if Bruno is your Concierge!

Okay! I think they stay on board for a few months don't they, so I would assume he would be the Concierge for our cruise next month.

Isn't it a lot of work for them to handle all the Haven guests and the Suites?

I agree about Bruno. He was amazing. His boss Kitkat is also just as wonderful. Very thorough and attentive. We felt so taken care of with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi DEX...I have been reading about the craziness you had on POA :eek:

After reading your post on the vagueness of the offer you had, I went back and read the letter we received onboard. I was under the impression we would have 25% off a future cruise, but after reading it again, it clearly states we will receive the SAME 25% of the Jewel cruise fare off a future cruise.

We are happy with the resolution and, of course, we will book again:p

When exactly is your Gem cruise? Would love to run into you and your DW again!

We are taking the Getaway TA in April 2017 and may jump on a Venice cruise while we are in Europe.

Taking Gem mid-Dec from San Juan to NYC. We had looked at Epic out of PC, Jade out of Tampa, Jewel out of LA, but I saw this 8 day trip which looks interesting. We've been on the Gem before so was looking forward to a different ship but the route won us over.

Have a great time on your TA - always wanted to do one so maybe some day.