NOROVIRUS - CRUISE LINE "GUILTY" - compo to pax

Did he also absolutely guarantee that it would be impossible to hack? This morning on the news, 2-3 attempted hacking episodes with the final one being successful which is why the system went down. At least for the spokesperson it wasn't due to overload. :p

Apparently, they shut it down so as to stop the hack. Same result though.

I was wondering about all the servers coping rather than the actual website. Between 5-9pm at home every day, my internet speeds crawl compared to other time periods. Surely all the internet companies would have been struggling as well.

Did he also absolutely guarantee that it would be impossible to hack? This morning on the news, 2-3 attempted hacking episodes with the final one being successful which is why the system went down. At least for the spokesperson it wasn't due to overload. :p

They're saying it's DDOS which isn't hacking as such - it's just overloading the servers. They said they found some vulnerability in the last attempt as well, so they chose to bring it down from 8 p.m. But appallingly didn't bother telling the public until 11 p.m.!

Then they try to claim it's a DDOS by foreigners - yet say they shut down international access from 11:30 a.m. yesterday - before the main attack.

Really sounds poorly managed, with excuses coming out. Yet another long standing operation that's failing badly under this administration.

I was wondering about all the servers coping rather than the actual website. Between 5-9pm at home every day, my internet speeds crawl compared to other time periods. Surely all the internet companies would have been struggling as well.

The census resulted in very little extra traffic. It's just a very small amount of text being sent through; not like watching youtube videos or Netflix.

As for speeds, the non-NBN that's been implemented the past few years has done nothing to improve things. I'm still on ADSL, but the HFC service they are implementing is just a cheap and nasty approach that actually degrades the service. Not looking forward to it.

They're saying it's DDOS which isn't hacking as such - it's just overloading the servers. They said they found some vulnerability in the last attempt as well, so they chose to bring it down from 8 p.m. But appallingly didn't bother telling the public until 11 p.m.!

Then they try to claim it's a DDOS by foreigners - yet say they shut down international access from 11:30 a.m. yesterday - before the main attack.

Really sounds poorly managed, with excuses coming out. Yet another long standing operation that's failing badly under this administration.

Thanks for making that clear. I'm a bit of a cynic and can't help wondering just how safe all our personal info is. What's with the 99 years? Who decided that? :(:confused:

The Census was run by public servants, not by politicians, and the public servants would be the same people, no matter who was in power. It is only the very senior people who might be political appointees.

Thanks for making that clear. I'm a bit of a cynic and can't help wondering just how safe all our personal info is. What's with the 99 years? Who decided that? :(:confused:

I reckon the 99 yrs,could be helpful down the track,for a family member tracking ancestry.

Your personal info,they already have,this just collates info together with what they have got.

Big Brother is alive and well,and in this day and age,its a positive thing sometimes.

Apparently there is no evidence of a full on target attack in Australia last night.

No.

It was either a major stuff up without enough capacity

Or

A denial of service attack

Depending on who you choose to believe.

What I did find interesting however was how slow the general Internet was going around that time as heels of people tried to get online at once.

No.

It was either a major stuff up without enough capacity

Or

A denial of service attack

Depending on who you choose to believe.

What I did find interesting however was how slow the general Internet was going around that time as heels of people tried to get online at once.

I went the Dinosaur way, filled the form in and posted it today. No stamp required either, hear that Mr Gut?

Apparently there were four denial of service attacks, and after the 4th (around 7:30pm) they took the server offline.

They're catered for the expected genuine demand but didn't allow for the DoS attacks. In hindsight, silly, because they waved a big red flag when they stated in the media that they would be able to handle the traffic. To some people that would be taken as a challenge. :rolleyes:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Apparently there were four denial of service attacks, and after the 4th (around 7:30pm) they took the server offline.

They're catered for the expected genuine demand but didn't allow for the DoS attacks. In hindsight, silly, because they waved a big red flag when they stated in the media that they would be able to handle the traffic. To some people that would be taken as a challenge. :rolleyes:

That was the story this morning. There is increasing information after investigation that there is no evidence of these 'service attacks' from overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would think that many would, just to prove that they could.

The Census was run by public servants, not by politicians, and the public servants would be the same people, no matter who was in power. It is only the very senior people who might be political appointees.

Operationally sure. But the big decisions impact this, including funding, come from political appointees. And that's also where the conflicting announcements have come from.

That was the story this morning. There is increasing information after investigation that there is no evidence of these 'service attacks' from overseas.

I don't doubt there were DDOS attacks.

However, these are common occurrences amongst all manner of targets, and there are long standing ways to deal with them. Nothing indicates that this was of an outstanding size. Imagine how popular it would be to take down bank websites if it was so easy! With decent planning and funding - which they promised and certainly spent money on - that would not have been an issue.

However, it appears a vulnerability was found when they looked at the last one, which would be a reason for it to be offline so long.

The cavalier way the government have addressed privacy concerns and the approach to date is indicative of why it failed. Rather than listening to concerns from informed people, it has come across as agenda driven, as with many prior decisions. The lack of expertise is all too apparent.

Here we go again.

Good news is that it may keep demand down on cruises which may lower the prices.