Reminder: Princess' Military Svc OBC Benefit

Goldiesmom

For those who may be new to Princess (as I am), I want to remind Military Veterans that Princess has a Military Benefit Program for EVERY Cruise. Here is the link to the Princess Website: http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/

My wife and I have taken approximately a dozen cruises on Carnival, Celebrity, Disney, and RCCL - but the Military Benefit only applied to certain cruises and served to reduce the price of the cruise by some amount. So, as I was reading the threads and comments on this Board, I was surprised to learn that Active Duty Military AND "Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone in any of the United States service divisions listed above or in the Canadian National Defense. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo ID is required." receive an OBC of $50 for cruises under 6 days in length, $100 for cruises 7-13 days in length, and $250 for cruises 14 days and longer.

If not for having read about this here, I might have missed out on my OBC for our upcoming Princess Cruise and I thought that it might be helpful to other veterans to point this out. Obviously, this benefit is contained on the Princess Website, but Princess doesn't "ask the question" about Military Service when booking the cruise and the benefit is not highlighted on the Cruise Documents themselves.

Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo ID is required." receive an OBC of $50 for cruises under 6 days in length, $100 for cruises 7-13 days in length, and $250 for cruises 14 days and longer.

When we sent in the DD-214 for DH, we just sent the DD-214. Princess didn't ask for photo ID.

Once you've sent your qualifying documents, you'll not need to send them again. Princess will apply them to any future cruise automatically.

Unless you are still active duty like I am. I guess they want to make sure you are still in the military so every year I send them documentation. When I retire I'll just have to send them my DD-214.

Cheers,

When we sent in the DD-214 for DH, we just sent the DD-214. Princess didn't ask for photo ID.

Yes, I agree. I copied and pasted the instructions from the Princess Website; but, I submitted via email the Princess PDF Application Document and attached a copy of my DD 214. They never asked for the Photo ID. AND Princess was very quick about it as I emailed my application on Sunday evening and the very next day my OBC appeared on my online Cruise Documents under "Payments and Credits". :)

Unless you are still active duty like I am. I guess they want to make sure you are still in the military so every year I send them documentation. When I retire I'll just have to send them my DD-214.

Cheers,

Thanks for pointing out the difference between retirees and active duty. I would hate it if any active duty missed out because they needed to resubmit.

Yes, I agree. I copied and pasted the instructions from the Princess Website; but, I submitted via email the Princess PDF Application Document and attached a copy of my DD 214. They never asked for the Photo ID. AND Princess was very quick about it as I emailed my application on Sunday evening and the very next day my OBC appeared on my online Cruise Documents under "Payments and Credits". :)

I see that the photo requirement was added to the webpage but that's not shown on the application form.

Whatever it takes, it's the best veteran's program & it's just one of the many things that makes Princess my first choice for a cruise. :)

The former president of Princess who has now moved up to corporate is a Viet Nam veteran after serving as a grunt in the US Army. He is active in veteran support groups particularly the Viet Nam veterans. Thank you Princess for this perk.

The catch for us old guys is even though we did combat time in a war zone, Vietnam for me, it was only 13months and does not qualify. The younger people are getting multiple deployments and although they may not be lifers are still getting the needed combat zone time.

The catch for us old guys is even though we did combat time in a war zone, Vietnam for me, it was only 13months and does not qualify. The younger people are getting multiple deployments and although they may not be lifers are still getting the needed combat zone time.

If I were you, I would check with Princess or submit your application and see what happens. Are you saying that your Total Military Svc was 13 months ? Or did you serve in Vietnam for 13 months. Because the requirement is a minimum of 2 years of service (as was the case with most draftees during the Vietnam War) OR 6 months in an active war zone. So, for example, if you served a total of 2 years, 13 months of which were in Vietnam, you would qualify. For that matter, anything over 6 months in an "active war zone" qualifies.

Edited by Goldiesmom

Read the application form again...anyone who has served a minimum of 6 months in an active war zone and receives an honorable discharge is qualified for this great benefit.

If I were you, I would check with Princess or submit your application and see what happens. Are you saying that your Total Military Svc was 13 months ? Or did you serve in Vietnam for 13 months. Because the requirement is a minimum of 2 years of service (as was the case with most draftees during the Vietnam War) OR 6 months in an active war zone. So, for example, if you served a total of 2 years, 13 months of which were in Vietnam, you would qualify. For that matter, anything over 6 months in an "active war zone" qualifies.
Edited by Astro Flyer

The form isn't the best written document. Call Princess and ask. I'm sure you'll qualify.

Once you've sent your qualifying documents, you'll not need to send them again. Princess will apply them to any future cruise automatically.

You are correct that Princess will apply them automatically. However I noticed that Princess has an expiration date of 12/31/21 in the On Board Credit section of my Account Summary. Since that is a few years away I am not going to worry about it for now. Thanks you Princess for this great benefit.

You are correct that Princess will apply them automatically. However I noticed that Princess has an expiration date of 12/31/21 in the On Board Credit section of my Account Summary. Since that is a few years away I am not going to worry about it for now. Thanks you Princess for this great benefit.

My expiration date will be long before my veteran's credit's expiration date of "Sail By 12/31/99". :p

Whenever checking cruise fares, the veteran's credit is automatically displayed as OBC in the price quote.

The form isn't the best written document. Call Princess and ask. I'm sure you'll qualify.

The form shows that 'hawgwildterry' is eligible by having served more than 6 months in an active war zone & I know that it applies to Vietnam veterans.

My brother and his wife will be each getting this great benefit on our upcoming Regal cruise. They also have OBC from their TA and the All Inclusive Bev Package. I'm thinking their onboard expenses are going to be small. Very nice since it's their first cruise.:):):)

I filled out the form on the princess web site and sent it in with a copy of my retiree ID card and it was accepted. I didn't need to send a copy of my DD-214. My on board credits were added to my upcoming cruise account within a couple of days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My brother and his wife will be each getting this great benefit on our upcoming Regal cruise. They also have OBC from their TA and the All Inclusive Bev Package. I'm thinking their onboard expenses are going to be small. Very nice since it's their first cruise.:):):)

Yup - up to two members in each cabin get the benefit if both are prior military.

I filled out the form on the princess web site and sent it in with a copy of my retiree ID card and it was accepted. I didn't need to send a copy of my DD-214. My on board credits were added to my upcoming cruise account within a couple of days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Military OBC is refundable if it is not all used. Most other OBC are not refundable and must be used while on board or lost.